Quick question? Ask here!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No. With the exception of a percentage of artist royalties paid directly to band members because they're Warner Brothers artists appearing on a Warner Brothers album, people who perform on a song but aren't credited as songwriters (in this case, Rob, Dave, and Joe) don't receive ANY royalty money. Mechanical royalties, synchronization, and live performance royalties exclusively go to songwriters.

Great article explaining this: http://www.tunecore.com/blog/2011/08/im-in-a-band-but-im-not-the-songwriter.html

This doesn't necessarily mean the other 3 guys aren't getting paid. There might be some arrangement between them, the label, and the credited songwriters where they receive an overall share of profits regardless of where they come from, or they could be under contract to Linkin Park in a way that the band essentially functions as their employer and they're getting paid a certain amount of money regardless of what they do (in which case, you could argue that they're not technically "band members" anymore). But regardless, something changed, because the previous six albums always credited all members equally.

Could someone explain to me why only Brad, Chester and Mike appear in the writing credits?

does that mean that the rest of the band won't get royalties? It's confusing for me.

So I was searching through the BMI database and this question popped into my mind again. I decided to check out the listings for Good Goodbye and Heavy, and it seems like all members are credited as songwriters. Why they aren't all getting credited on album artwork like before, I have no clue. Maybe the band wants to credit the actual lyricists of the songs on album art, but who knows.

Good Goodbye BMI listing

Heavy BMI listing

Side note, anyone know why Dave is getting credited under PRS now instead of BMI, it seems new, as the only entries under this one is from OML

Edited by TheInterframe

Saw on twitter that everyone who purchased tickets would receive copies of the album or digital copies and emails would be sent out, even saw it retweeted by LP themselves, I bought tics on tuesday and no emails yet? Any word on this, album comes out this week and dont want to buy it if getting them already, THANKS!!

So I was searching through the BMI database and this question popped into my mind again. I decided to check out the listings for Good Goodbye and Heavy, and it seems like all members are credited as songwriters. Why they aren't all getting credited on album artwork like before, I have no clue. Maybe the band wants to credit the actual lyricists of the songs on album art, but who knows.

Good Goodbye BMI listing

Heavy BMI listing

Side note, anyone know why Dave is getting credited under PRS now instead of BMI, it seems new, as the only entries under this one is from OML

The thing with Dave being listed under PRS is an error BMI has been making from time to time for years. They have multiple musicians named David Farrell in their database and sometimes they attach the wrong one to LP entries. Sometimes it's obvious because it lists "David Paul Farrell" instead of "David Michael Farrell."

The songwriting credits being updated is interesting, because Heavy absolutely did not originally list all six members of the band. Also, some other songs from OML still don't - Halfway Right for example.

I don't really know where to post this and I don't feel like starting a new thread for it, but on BMI Michael Leary is credited for Halfway Right while, in the booklet, he isn't mentioned anywhere.

I think they made a mistake on BMI and they add Michael Leary name instead of Michael Keenan by accident.

Booklet and Qobuz has Michael Keenan.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YcLW-3kEGk

in the video, mike mentions that phoenix is playing a song from '97, he says. then chester says he remembers singing on the song and it was one of the demos that they have finished . but my question is this . on wikipedia or someplace, i read that chester had joined the band in 1999 . obviously i know that they had a different singer named mark, but how can chester remember the song and supposedly had sang to it if he didnt join the band until 2 years later ?

who knows, could be Picturboard?

• 3 weeks later...

Various clips of Chester vocals from other parts of the song run through some kind of formant editor (probably Melodyne) to change the vowel sounds and overall timbre without actually changing the pitch. It's in the same octave as what Chester sings normally.

• 3 weeks later...

What's the correct title for Stick N Move? On the cassette itself, it's written as Stick N' Move, but on the tracklist, it's Stick N Move.

Oh and what are the official names for the LPU albums? Sometimes they're called LPU VI or whatever, and somewhere else LP Underground Five (for example).

Edited by Seelentau

What's the correct title for Stick N Move? On the cassette itself, it's written as Stick N' Move, but on the tracklist, it's Stick N Move.

Oh and what are the official names for the LPU albums? Sometimes they're called LPU VI or whatever, and somewhere else LP Underground Five (for example).

As for the LPU albums, the correct names are on this site under the lines.