Quick question? Ask here!

I want to say that Robot Boy was mentioned on Mike's blog in 2009 in some way, but as far as I know the blog isn't available anymore. The ATS demos started changing from the heavier demos to closer to what the album would sound like around October of 2009, so Robot Boy probably came from around that time if I'm remembering correctly.

Yeah, probably where I remembered it from. It's interesting how the band worked. Take for instance THP, where the album originally was softer, pop driven songs, which transformed into heavy rock and metal music. Then you have MTM and ATS, which both started off heavy, but became softer, experimental albums, especially ATS. MTM still had a few heavy songs. But it's really cool. LT and OML might have stayed the same style for all we know. I wonder what the first song that made the album was for those. I think Good Goodbye and One More Light (the song) were actually from 2015.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, probably where I remembered it from. It's interesting how the band worked. Take for instance THP, where the album originally was softer, pop driven songs, which transformed into heavy rock and metal music. Then you have MTM and ATS, which both started off heavy, but became softer, experimental albums, especially ATS. MTM still had a few heavy songs. But it's really cool. LT and OML might have stayed the same style for all we know. I wonder what the first song that made the album was for those. I think Good Goodbye and One More Light (the song) were actually from 2015.

Well, Invisible and NCSM were started by March of 2016, and the band met with Jon Green starting in November of 2015 and Mike met with Justin Parker in September (don't know if anything was written though), so I wouldn't be surprised if NCSM and Invisible (maybe BS too) were the earliest songs from OML.

LT and OML might have stayed the same style for all we know. I wonder what the first song that made the album was for those. I think Good Goodbye and One More Light (the song) were actually from 2015.

Well, Invisible and NCSM were started by March of 2016, and the band met with Jon Green starting in November of 2015 and Mike met with Justin Parker in September (don't know if anything was written though), so I wouldn't be surprised if NCSM and Invisible (maybe BS too) were the earliest songs.

Amy Zaret passed away in October 2015, so that might be when One More Light came to be. Mike said it originated from a different demo he had created with Ross Golan, who is credited for Halfway Right, so I guess both songs were started in 2015 as well.

Well, Invisible and NCSM were started by March of 2016, and the band met with Jon Green starting in November of 2015 and Mike met with Justin Parker in September (don't know if anything was written though), so I wouldn't be surprised if NCSM and Invisible (maybe BS too) were the earliest songs from OML.

All of those songs are my favorite ones.... That's crazy. Haha. I love NCSM and Battle Symphony. My favorites on the album, but I also like Invisible. One More Light is great, too. A lot of those have really great meanings lyrically.

Was the “mother fucker!” that Chester would scream at the end of APFMH love ever intended to be in the album version? If so, then who made the decision to consciously shy away from profanity? That’s such an epic way to end that song.

Was the “mother fucker!” that Chester would scream at the end of APFMH love ever intended to be in the album version? If so, then who made the decision to consciously shy away from profanity? That’s such an epic way to end that song.

It probably wasn't ever intended for the studio version, but I'm not saying that there isn't a version out there with it. There are so many demos and stuff from every album that we don't even know about. Look at the ''much too easy'' By Myself demo for example. We have a ton of demos for By Myself, but not one has that version. Anyways, Chester would sometimes add stuff to specific songs during live shows. Like the scream he started doing during the bridge of The Catalyst in 2011-2012. Or the scream he started doing during the What I've Done bridge from like 2008-2017. And there are more examples.

I also find it funny that the band cursed on material released before Hybrid Theory, but then everyone at the time the album came out, and then with Meteora, said the band didn't like to curse on their main albums. And then came Minutes To Midnight and everything after and the curses were everywhere. Not to mention that Chester swore so much during shows from 2000-2017 and so didn't Mike.

I remembered after I asked that question that I saw an interview, or an LPTV or something, with Mike saying that when the band wrote HT they felt that there was always a better way to express themselves then with profanity.

Like he basically implied that cursing was the easy way out of writing a good lyric, but then by the time MTM rolled around they obviously had changed their outlook on that. Lol

.....and now I can't find the clip of him saying that. I SWEAR it exists somewhere though. Someone probably remembers.

I remembered after I asked that question that I saw an interview, or an LPTV or something, with Mike saying that when the band wrote HT they felt that there was always a better way to express themselves then with profanity.

Like he basically implied that cursing was the easy way out of writing a good lyric, but then by the time MTM rolled around they obviously had changed their outlook on that. Lol

.....and now I can't find the clip of him saying that. I SWEAR it exists somewhere though. Someone probably remembers.

I remember it, too. He did say exactly what you said, that they wanted to find better ways to express themselves in the lyrics. On Loveline in 2008, the April 2008 episode, someone asked Chester why they decided to start cursing in their music. Chester said ''because sometimes dropping the F bomb is necessary''. He then went on to say that Mike wanted him to say something that he would say in real life, out of pain, and Chester screamed fuck. And that's how the chorus idea came to be for Given Up. But they have cursed on so many other songs. Haha after and before.

On Loveline in 2008, the April 2008 episode, someone asked Chester why they decided to start cursing in their music.

but the correct question should be, why they stopped censoring the songs? There are a lot of songs that were cesored but not even in a "studio" way. For example "H! Vltg" and "Executiones Style" from reanimation are censored and they were censore by doing reverse (parts of the song with explicit lyrics was just reversed), and by this fact we can presumed that they were censored on the last minute, maybe because the band was forced by someone to do so.

but the correct question should be, why they stopped censoring the songs? There are a lot of songs that were cesored but not even in a "studio" way. For example "H! Vltg" and "Executiones Style" from reanimation are censored and they were censore by doing reverse (parts of the song with explicit lyrics was just reversed), and by this fact we can presumed that they were censored on the last minute, maybe because the band was forced by someone to do so.

Even as far back as the Xero Tape from 1997 has cursing all over it. Dedicated and High Voltage, too. Reanimation, etc. Probably the band wanted to appeal to a very mass amount of people or the label did, and decided to not have cursing, because it may deter some people. Keep in mind, the 90's and early 2000's, at least in the U.S., were stupid about stuff like that. Nowadays, it's not like that. But who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know if Alyssa Morse is Tobi Benningtons daughter?

Also does anybody know why all of a sudden Tobi and Samantha are calling out Mike for mistreating Chester?

Nah, Alyssa Morse is Talinda's neice. And she was close with Chester and Talinda.

Sam has been calling out everyone since Chester died, and probably even before it. Tobi just the other day started to, and I feel like it's because she has mental health issues of her own, and she is also now close with Samantha, who is feeding her all this stuff.

Chester and Mike weren't as close from 1999-2006, but once the band started making Minutes To Midnight, Mike has said that him and Chester and the rest of the band really got to hang out with him as friends and get to know him as a friend, and they became good close friends after that. So she could possibly be talking about those earlier years. If not, she's most likely just flat out wrong.

The thing that bothers me about this discussion is that we pretend that we really know what their relationships were like, off-screen! We know almost nothing about that, as the band members have always been quiet about their personal lives.

We now already have three individual (former) family members of Chester claiming that there is (and was) more going on behind the scenes than we know. Honestly, Tobi's tweets seemed honest and caring to me. She didn't call anyone out or wanted to fight. She just wanted to tell the truth.

The thing that bothers me about this discussion is that we pretend that we really know what their relationships were like, off-screen! We know almost nothing about that, as the band members have always been quiet about their personal lives.

We now already have three individual (former) family members of Chester claiming that there is (and was) more going on behind the scenes than we know. Honestly, Tobi's tweets seemed honest and caring to me. She didn't call anyone out or wanted to fight. She just wanted to tell the truth.

who is the third?

The fact that Alyssa Morse instantly wrote on Twitter "lol false news" just when Tobi wrote some lyrics and "someday the truth will come out" shows that there is some stuff going on behind the scenes. And by that, I mean probably between Talinda and Tobi/Susan/Sam. Just by seeing this first tweet, Alyssa could not have known what Tobi was going to add later, but she wrote "false news" even though there were no news yet. That shows (at least for me) that there are some real shitty talks going on behind the scenes. So Tobi maybe even threatened Talinda to say some stuff what would explain why Alyssa knew what Tobi was going to add later.

Most plausible is maybe that they are still fighting for Chesters money and music rights.

But the fact that Anna and Talinda are almost best friends and hang out together (including Mike) a lot in the last years is like a 100% reason to disbelieve what Tobi is saying. Also there are dozens of pics showing Dave, Chester and Mike doing tourist stuff together. I guess it is de facto not even possible to not like someone who is around you 250 days a year all day lol. And they also claimed that they are even hanging out when there is no tour, which is not obvious when you have a bunch of kids.

Anyway, completely BS what Tobi did. That caused a lot of pain to some fans. Hopefully she is not getting back on Twitter. She'd be better off working on her own mental health.

• 3 months later...
On 11/12/2018 at 4:11 PM, SasstielExperience said:

I want to say that Robot Boy was mentioned on Mike's blog in 2009 in some way, but as far as I know the blog isn't available anymore. The ATS demos started changing from the heavier demos to closer to what the album would sound like around October of 2009, so Robot Boy probably came from around that time if I'm remembering correctly.

It's crazy to me how LP was seven months into writing ATS and they wrote New Divide. Had a heavy rock sound compared to what ATS became.

Does a clean version of the special edition of The Rising Tied exist, physically or digitally? More specifically clean studio versions of Be Somebody and There They Go?

LPCatalog has two entries for "clean" versions of the special edition:

https://lpcatalog.com/item/fort-minor_2005_the-rising-tied/special-edition/4943674060603_jp

https://lpcatalog.com/item/fort-minor_2005_the-rising-tied/special-edition/9325583032141_au-clean

The Japanese entry, while it is missing the parental advisory, is not actually clean. The Australian entry might be clean, but it looks identical to the explicit Australian version so I think this might be an error as well

On martinez's Digital Releases site, there are no clean versions of the special edition songs.

Both the pages for Be Somebody and There They Go on Linkinpedia mention clean versions of the songs existing, which is really the only source leaving me believing that they do exist.

Linkinpedia also mentions "There They Go - Green Mix" from this, though I can't seem to find any rips of this vinyl online. It's possible that Green Lantern just made his own clean edits of the song considering there's apparently a clean version of his remix of Nobody's Listening on there as well. Most of the cursing on The Rising Tied wasn't actually censored but was instead replaced with new lyrics, so if that remix had different lyrics it'd most likely at least mean there's an official There They Go clean version somewhere, even if it isn't released.

You can listen to that vinyl on our YouTube channel, LPLive Archive. 🙂

I'm not sure if the clean version of The Rising Tied special edition was commercially available (I guess not since you didn't find any source), but it does exist. It was used for Mike's track-by-track commentary. It's basically the clean album (including bonus tracks) with Mike talking before each song.

Took a listen to the vinyl, seems like those edits may have just been done by Green Lantern based on how the were being censored, but that doesn't really prove anything if that track-by-track had the clean versions.

Not to call you out saying it's not true, I'm just curious, are you sure that used the clean versions? I found your thread that had the download at one point (it and someone else's mirror are now down) and you mentioned removing the songs before the commentary and that you no longer had the original files later on. If you, or anyone, has the track-by-track, I think that'd be a great addition to the LPLive Archive, even if the songs aren't included, I'd love to just hear the commentary