2011 Summer Tour Wrap Up

hahninator

On the 4th, Linkin Park completed their first summer tour in support of "A Thousand Suns" by playing the iTunes Festival in London. So let's cover all of the highlights, any low points, and go show-by-show in a quick roundup. In short, the tour consisted of 17 shows in 13 countries in 31 days. Although they often changed the setlist each show slightly (sometimes shortened it for festivals), the band played three main setlists on this tour. View examples of those here, here and here.

Linkin Park warmed up for their summer shows by first playing the KROQ Weenie Roast in Irvine, CA on June 4th (show page here). In a show that featured the first LP webcast in years, the Foo Fighters showed up and played as a

before LP, causing them to shorten the setlist a bit and dampening the moods of a lot of LP fans. Highlight: Dave Grohl indirectly shouting out to LP / Chester shouting out to Foo. LP headed to Mountain View, CA the next day to play BFD 2011 (show page here). This show featured the first time the band experimented with removing the encore break from the setlist. Highlight: An awesome 'Lying From You' intro with a great Chester scream.

The European part of the tour started on June 11th at Novarock (show page here), hit Donington the next day for Download (show page here) and landed in Stockholm on the 14th (show page here). Highlight:

The band debuted their second set on the tour in Stockholm. Projekt Revolution kicked off on the 16th in Helsinki (show page here), hit Leipzig with the third setlist on the tour (show page here) on the 18th, and Oberursel on the 19th (show page here). Highlight: The rare but popular appearances of 'Burning In The Skies' and 'Blackout' to the setlists. 'Blackout' reappeared in the encore again as well. 'Reading My Eyes' also jumped in over 'Bleed It Out' a few times.

On the 21st in Hamburg (show page here), LP held their 4th LPU Summit following three successful ones in London and Sydney in 2010 and Chicago earlier this year. This Summit featured 'The Messenger' acoustic plus Mike and Chester breaking out a cover of Adele's 'Rolling In The Deep'. Nice! Two days later on the 23rd, LP played in Moscow (show page here) for the Transformers 3 Premiere. Highlight: The band debuting a new, kickass intro to 'New Divide' entitled

This was only the third time 'New Divide' has ever opened a show. The
was also played at this show for the only time, which seems to be good according to just about everyone that too our poll!

On the 25th, LP wrapped up the fourth and final Projekt Revolution show of the year in München, Germany (show page here). Italy got its first LP show since 2008 the next day (26th) at the Sonisphere Festival in Imola (show page here), Norway saw its first LP show ever on the 28th in Ardenal at the Hove Festival (show page here) and Belgium got their first LP show in over 10 years at Rock Werchter on the 30th (show page here). France got their first outdoor LP show ever on July 1st at the Main Square Festival (show page here) and Switzerland hosted the band at the OpenAir St. Gallen on the 2nd (show page here). A surprising thing that occurred starting with Moscow and continuing in Arras and St. Gallen is that 'One Step Closer' was dropped!

And on the 4th in London, we all know what happened as LP played their final date of the tour at London's historic Roundhouse as part of the iTunes Festival (show page here). Yeah, the webcast and the first time the band covered 'Rolling In The Deep' on stage has given us the second largest LPLive thread ever with over 850 responses. Nice! And I must say, Chester fucking nailed this cover! This is the first time LP has covered another artist's song on the "A Thousand Suns" touring cycle and the first time since 'Sweet Child O Mine' was mashed up with 'Bleed It Out' in 2008 (show page here).

An interesting thing on this tour is that 'Wretches & Kings' and 'The Messenger' were dropped from the sets completely. 'The Messenger' was played acoustically at the LPU Summit in Hamburg but never at a show on this leg. 'Robot Boy' also never appeared in any shape or form and is the only song left off of 'A Thousand Suns' to be played live. 'One Step Closer' being dropped a few times is the first time that this has ever happened on a tour. Would you like to see more setlist staples like 'Numb' swapped out in the future?

Five DSP's that I would recommend you check out from this tour (so far and not in any order) are Donington, Stockholm, Leipzig, Oberursel and Hamburg. Which ones are your favorites?

Who from LPLive attended a show this tour? Multiple shows? What was everyone's (whether you went or not) favorite LP show this summer and why? Which one was your least favorite? If you didn't go like I did, which show do you wish you were at the most? For me, it'd be either Stockholm or Leipzig. What would you like to see LP do the same on their next tour and what would you like to see them do differently? Would you like to see any songs like 'With You' make a reappearance in the setlist? A 'Robot Boy' live debut?

So what's next? On August 31st, LP plays a "small intimate venue" in Los Angeles for a Music For Relief Benefit in what the band is calling a secret show. This makes me wonder if they will possibly return to The Roxy for the first time since 2004 (show page here) when they did the Collision Course show. In early September, the band goes to Asia for the first time for "A Thousand Suns" and plays 11 shows in 7 different countries. More on that in early September! Maybe we'll see a version of 'Robot Boy' then! Will we see another LPU Summit on that tour?

Until then, we have an LPLive exclusive or two that we'll post and of course, we'll keep you up to date on the general LP news. Be sure to keep checking back! Thank you to everyone who helped bring us the 2011 summer shows, from those who gave us live Twitter updates to those who submitted their ticket scans to those to recorded shows, reviewed shows and posted about them!

It was a great tour in my opinion. Chester sounded great throughout!

Obviously my favourite show was the iTunes Festival because I was there and I got a Meet & Greet :D

Dave Grohl kind of annoys me. What did he say about LP at Weenie Roast?

I'd like to see Numb dropped for at least one or two years, ITE and Crawling need to be rotated. I'd like to see With You, Easier To Run, Figure.09 and P5hng Me A*wy make some sort of return, and 'A Place For My Head' needs to be a setlist staple since it's one of their strongest live songs. Glad 'Faint' opens a setlist now...it kicked way more ass in Europe than the US.

'Burning In The Skies' and 'Blackout' need to be played a bit more and maybe 'Wretches & Kings' too? Great songs.

I think 'Robot Boy' will be the first song off an album that LP doesn't play live. It baffles me because 'Blackout' has a million vocal parts too and they play that though.

it was a good tour, the band sounded quite good at some shows. just a couple of surprises here and there. I hope they start to rotate more songs :P even if they are just singles from mtm like LOATR or SOTD, :P but hey, having them once a while is not that bad :P

i really think robot boy apart from its synthesizer solo is a rather weak song and i for one am glad it's not played live. It seems that LP won't play those old non singles, guess we need to accept that, that said, if they do choose one PLEASE let it be With You. I dont care what people say about setlist openers, NOTHING opens a LP set like with you.

I hope they get rested and continues to work on the new album in this short space. They speak of shorter time gaps between albums, well they now have a chance to show it. An Album in 2012 would be really cool.

Edited by GraDoN

This Summer Tour was a good tour!

On the next tour, in Asia, I think there will not be big changes in the setlist.

There is the possibility to play any song in Japan to honor victims of the disaster of March 2011. Maybe Not Alone? (we know that this song was for the victims of Haiti, but also could be used to this tragedy in Japan). Another song that appears in my mind for an occasion like this is My December...

Another important thing is that the restriction can be made to play Given Up, Wisdom, Justice, And Love, The Radiance, Wretches And Kings (these last three because the speech against the policy). This happened a few shows of the 2009 Asia Tour. I don't think When They Come For Me has a problem with it because it is just a phrase (which has been changed on a few occasions this year).

Because of this, we can have some changes in the setlist, but nothing that is very different from what we've seen since 2010.

Edited by Victor Del Porto

I'd like to see Numb dropped for at least one or two years, ITE and Crawling need to be rotated. I'd like to see With You, Easier To Run, Figure.09 and P5hng Me A*wy make some sort of return, and 'A Place For My Head' needs to be a setlist staple since it's one of their strongest live songs. Glad 'Faint' opens a setlist now...it kicked way more ass in Europe than the US.

'Burning In The Skies' and 'Blackout' need to be played a bit more and maybe 'Wretches & Kings' too? Great songs.

I think 'Robot Boy' will be the first song off an album that LP doesn't play live. It baffles me because 'Blackout' has a million vocal parts too and they play that though.

Couldn't agree more on everything.

Maybe Numb and Crawling should be rotated, but I think ITE should always stay in the set. The crowd goes crazy for it everytime.

I agree with APFMH being a staple, that and OSC following it is always amazing!

Maybe they can rotate BITS, Blackout, and W&K with eachother in different sets, even though Wretches and Kings is a bit sloppy sometimes.

It was really amazing Summer Tour, no doubt.

Five DSP's that I would recommend you check out from this tour (so far and not in any order) are Donington, Stockholm, Leipzig, Oberursel and Hamburg. Which ones are your favorites?

My favorite is Leipzig , the best DSP on this moment.

But my favorite concert of the summer tour this is of course iTunes Festival.

Great tour, I was at the download show, so I may be biased in saying it was the best show on the tour.

Btw, I'm still trying to get the review of Download fest. written up, work getting in the way. But I should be able to get it posted this week.

The

was also played at this show for the only time, which seems to be good according to just about everyone that too our poll!
i doubt you care but *took

also my favorite show and i f i didn't live in america wished i went to was Itunes Festival just cause of Rolling in the Deep. I'm even bumping the cover right now

Well I went to Download and iTunes and it was hard to pick if I'm honest. Download was much more hard hitting and finished on OSC - always winning!! But it did lack an encore and it would have been nice to have 2 or 3 extra songs. iTunes was awesome with being a small venue and it being so cool as well as finally seeing BITS though disappointed not to see Blackout which is probably my favourite song from ATS and considering I've seen them four times on this cycle (2 this summer, 2 last November) I kinda hoped I'd have seen the whole album - not necessarily top to bottom but through four different shows I had hoped to see it. Also would have liked to see the messenger but still haven't seen that either - here's hoping to some non-singles on future tours! Back to iTunes was great but encore was a little slow though Adele cover was insanely good!!

Edit: Also not entirely related but I noticed Mark was saying the other day that gang vocals on iridescent were mimed - but I just downloaded the LPUX newsletter and Rob specifically mentions it and says that 4/6 sing on stage (Chester, Mike, Phx and Joe) now I have to say it does sound a lot like the album version but I don't think Rob would say it if they didn't?

Edited by Rob_Wilson

Amazing post, Mark!

Well, I attended the summit and the Hamburg show which is, along with Leipzip, my favourite one of the tour (not only because I've been there). These shows had the best setlist and the band seemed to enjoy them very much. I remember watching Chester during Papercut and he was smiling all over his face :) In addition, Chester and Mike talked the most to the crowd at these shows which is a very important part of live shows in my opinion.

That's the perfect changeover to my first main criticism: The interaction with the crowd. Nearly no talking at all, they just played their set straight through most of time =/ I paid a lot of money (their shows are over-priced anyway) to see them and that's why I want to get entertained. I want to see that they're having fun and make the whole money worth it. That didn't happen once again although I have to admit that it got a bit better if I compare it to 2010.

The next point should be clear: The setlists. I don't need to explain anything, most of you have the same opinion on it. The reason why they don't switch something up by playing one or two old songs the hardcore fans want to hear are incomprehensible to me. The fact that they dropped One Step Closer for a few shows isn't acceptable as well. It's good to see they dropped a few singles, but they just can't do that with One Step Closer. This is the song that gets the crowd going off every time!

Well, on a positive note, I think, they played their songs perfectly. Chester's voice was on top and you could really see how good these six guys actually are at making music and playing it live.

We'll see what Asia brings, but I don't expect anything :) It was a solid tour that could have been much better though... Typical Linkin Park.

Edit: Also not entirely related but I noticed Mark was saying the other day that gang vocals on iridescent were mimed - but I just downloaded the LPUX newsletter and Rob specifically mentions it and says that 4/6 sing on stage (Chester, Mike, Phx and Joe) now I have to say it does sound a lot like the album version but I don't think Rob would say it if they didn't?

They're singing live but all the micophones are really low except for Chester and Mike, so you can barely hear Phoenix or Joe or Brad. It's very obvious that the gang vocals are mimed. Also, I'm almost sure that the 'ooohhh' backing vocals on Waiting for the End and Burning in the Skies are also mimed and Mike sings over them. And for this summer tour, I realized by listening to the DPS's that the chorus on When They Come For Me also has sampled vocals and Chester sings over them (this didn't happen on the previous tours; you could only hear Chester)

Regarding the tour, I think it was acceptable. I mean, the band played really well all the song, Chester was on top and besides the KROQ show, they had a lot of energy on stage. The bad thing is that the tour became predictable. We pretty much knew all the songs they were going to play and the only surprise was the piano version of Rolling In the Deep (and RME over BIO, if you want). What Mark mentioned is also important. The band didn't talk too much to the crowd besides the 'usual' stuff. But well, I'm sure most of the people who attended the shows had a blast and I guess that what counts.

I hope the Asian Tour can bring us some new stuff, but I prefer not to expect anything.

Edited by danielpsoad-09

technically mark this is not the first time the band covered another artists song on the ATS touring cycle, chester did a small part of no woman no cry at the Tel Aviv show:P still counts imo

Edited by Tomer

Iridescent gang vocals are sampled, but the band sings over the top of them.

They're singing live but all the micophones are really low except for Chester and Mike, so you can barely hear Phoenix or Joe or Brad. It's very obvious that the gang vocals are mimed. Also, I'm almost sure that the 'ooohhh' backing vocals on Waiting for the End and Burning in the Skies are also mimed and Mike sings over them. And for this summer tour, I realized by listening to the DPS's that the chorus on When They Come For Me also has sampled vocals and Chester sings over them (this didn't happen on the previous tours; you could only hear Chester)

Mostly correct. The WFTE backing vocals are sung by Mike, Phoenix, and Joe over the top of the sampled parts. I THINK the BITS backing vocals aren't sampled until the end of the last chorus (where there are 2 harmony parts), it's only one part and sung by both Mike and Phoenix, so they should be able to cover that just fine. The chorus vocals on WTCFM are 100% NOT sampled. Those are sung in unison by Chester, Brad, Phoenix, and Joe, they've been doing that the same way since they started playing it (the "hey hey" chant at the end IS sampled though), and you can hear multiple voices on just about all of the DSPs.

Full list of sampled vocal parts:

The Requiem (Mike sings over the album version)

Burning in the Skies (backing "ohhh" vocals at end of last chorus - sung over by Mike/Phoenix)

When they Come For Me ("hey hey" chant at end - occasionally Brad/Phoenix/Joe join in with them)

Waiting For the End ("ohhh" backing vocals on choruses - sung over by Mike/Joe/Phoenix)

Blackout (chopped up Chester vocals in breakdown)

Wretches and Kings "hey hey" chant parts - sung over by everybody except Rob)

Iridescent (gang vocals - sung over by Chester/Mike/Phoenix/Joe/occasionally Brad)

Fallout (Mike sings over the album version)

Edited by Astat

i didn't go to any of the concerts so i don't really have a place to judge any of the shows, but i'm really not into the current setlists they have going. i think numb and in the end could be swapped, given up and no more sorrow could be swapped, what i've done should just be dropped in favor of new divide, wretches and kings can be swapped with when they come for me. then burning in the skies, blackout, and robot boy could be played all the time. then they should also rotate in pieces, leave out all the rest, and valentines day. then they can add with you, figure .09, p5hing me away, and a place for my head. and then every show could be different and exciting, instead of just swapping 1 or 2 songs

Awesome tour. I've watched all the shows via youtube and i'm very happy with the energy that the band is putting out on their lastest shows. This tour seems to be better than the last one "North American Tour".

Awsome screams from Chester and the 'motivation' from every band member on the stage.

Dropping OSC is not all that bad, actually all they need to do is play a little bit of each album, then it's ok.

Wonder what's the exclusive..

I went to both Download Festival & the Itunes Festival.

For the whole experiance I would say the Itunes festival show wins. Such a small, beautiful venue. Both the crowd and the band really seemed up for it. May not get the chance to ever see them play in such an intimate venue again. Plus had M&G and I even got back to my space at the barrier right on front of Brad with some big help from aravind221.

Shame UK still haven't had "Blackout" played over here yet. But we can finally cross off BITS from the list of songs not played

Been a great couple months of LP shows. Roll on the next tour

And, must not forget a big Hi and thanks to all the LPLive guys I had the pleasure of meeting again at the Itunes festival. You know who you are :)

I can't see them ever dropping In the End or Numb, they're pretty much the band's biggest hits. Crawling I think could be rotated rather than a staple, but One Step Closer should, in my opinion, be in every set. It's just that badass.

Wretches and Kings should make a return for sure, it's possibly the best live ATS song. I'd also like to see Somewhere I Belong make a return, just to shake things up a bit.

I've said this a couple times already, but it's worth reiterating: The iTunes festival show was probably the best show they've played since ATS came out.

In fact, I want to say it's the best they played since MTM came out. It was really kick-ass (and I wasn't even there. I can't imagine how the people who went felt).

I think the band could do Robot Boy live, I just don't think it would sound great. Though there are many layered vocals in the song, there is clearly a main melody. Chester could just sing that main melody, and Mike could sing a harmony or just double Chester's melody.

They could also probably sample some vocals, though I'd rather they not do that as often as possible. I would rather just not hear one of the vocal melodies than have them just sample it. I want a live performance. If you don't have enough singers to perform all the vocal parts you have, then so be it, one harmony isn't going to be sung.