MTV VMA's

hahninator

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chester was terrible. As rough as it gets. lol @ everyone saying it was so epicly amazingly awesome. what the heck. No way, not even close O_o

+1 but in Bleed it out ("feat" Timbaland) VMA '07 Chester sounded similar. Problems with MTV??

Edited by disadams

If you're referring to the effect they had on their voices then, i'm sorry to say, you're wrong. A while back, Mike had said there was a "phaser and some other effects" on Chesters voice. They probably just used it live too.

no, trust me i know. Like the beginning. but in some parts, where there weren't "notable effects" on chesters voice on the album, were noticeable during this performance.

i can't understand how usher danced to 2 different songs, and bob's performancewas shared with paramore, yet we got a radio edit from lp...

Because no one was there to see LP compared to all the others that were performing/nominated. That's why they weren't even mentioned during the show until 7 minutes before hand.

how can people say that was awesome? wtf? lol

Mike sounded really weird at the beginning...Chester rough as HELL like he was when they first started playing New Divide. I wish LP would like, tour with these songs before they debut them HUGELY like on the VMAs. They tend to do that and that's why they sound bad.

Highlights:

- Bouncing crowd, good venue, great lights. All in one highlight.

- Joe singing his ass off, THAT WAS COOL. Phi and Brad having micstands is badass too.

- ROB'S DRUMMING FUCKING BROUGHT IT.

Sad stuff:

- Chester sounds sooooo bad :/

- Brad doing that crap holding up the guitar every shot they showed of him...SOTD live bridge much? Don't like that lol

- Mike, ehh. Need to get more used to him singing the beginning but his "lift me up, let me go" part was cool. Glad to see him finally sing live!

Mike sounded "weird" at the beginning because he had a bunch of effects on his vocals, just like he does on the album version. Easy to tell when they switched them off for the "lift me up/let me go" ending. Chester really didn't sound any worse than he has live for the better part of the last 3 and a half years, I can live with that. Hell, he sounded better than he did in the LPTV episode where they were recording vocals for the song in Mike's home studio.

I think other than the song being shortened and Mike messing up the lyrics at the end (he sang the "burn inside the fires of a thousand suns" verse instead of the "broken people living under loaded gun" one), that sounded good. The mix could've been better, but a lot of rock bands struggle with that on live televised performances.

Also, I think Rob had a microphone too, I saw one behind him in one of the shots but it was after he started drumming, and he had quit using it by then.

And Mike's autotune was set to t-pain mode or something.

For someone who does as much music production as you do, I would've thought you'd be able to tell what Auto-Tune sounds like. It seems to me that most people these days think any kind of vocal manipulation effects = Auto-Tune. I've heard a vocoder called Auto-Tune. I've heard a ring modulator called Auto-Tune. I've heard a flanger called Auto-Tune. I've heard a phase shifter called Auto-Tune. I've heard chorus called Auto-Tune. I've heard a harmonizer called Auto-Tune. I've heard just about every kind of general pitch correction and/or modulation effect under the sun called Auto-Tune.

It's really starting to piss me off that people think anything that doesn't sound like a totally raw, untouched vocal track has to be using Auto-Tune. It's a horrible disservice to all the other vocal effects out there, the majority of which are far more versatile, particularly for use in live situations.

The nooo's we're prolly included in the backing track with the synths and what not.

The gang vocals were sung by the whole band. Definitely not a backing track, they were a lot more pitchy than they are on the studio version, which is understandable since the other 4 guys really aren't vocalists by trade.

no, trust me i know. Like the beginning. but in some parts, where there weren't "notable effects" on chesters voice on the album, were noticeable during this performance.

Ok, fair answer. I guess i'm not one to nitpick through live performances because i know that no matter what, its not gunna be perfect

IMO it sounded like Mike and Chester both had an effect added in, it definitely didn't sound like them alone.

I couldn't hear it as much near the end, but in the beginning something sounded askew.

They did have the effect on their vocals..all i can say is it sounded awesome in person!

Also, I think Rob had a microphone too, I saw one behind him in one of the shots but it was after he started drumming, and he had quit using it by then.

The gang vocals were sung by the whole band. Definitely not a backing track, they were a lot more pitchy than they are on the studio version, which is understandable since the other 4 guys really aren't vocalists by trade.

For someone who does as much music production as you do, I would've thought you'd be able to tell what Auto-Tune sounds like. It seems to me that most people these days think any kind of vocal manipulation effects = Auto-Tune. I've heard a vocoder called Auto-Tune. I've heard a ring modulator called Auto-Tune. I've heard a flanger called Auto-Tune. I've heard a phase shifter called Auto-Tune. I've heard chorus called Auto-Tune. I've heard a harmonizer called Auto-Tune. I've heard just about every kind of general pitch correction and/or modulation effect under the sun called Auto-Tune.

+1

Mike sounded "weird" at the beginning because he had a bunch of effects on his vocals, just like he does on the album version. Easy to tell when they switched them off for the "lift me up/let me go" ending. Chester really didn't sound any worse than he has live for the better part of the last 3 and a half years, I can live with that. Hell, he sounded better than he did in the LPTV episode where they were recording vocals for the song in Mike's home studio.

I think other than the song being shortened and Mike messing up the lyrics at the end (he sang the "burn inside the fires of a thousand suns" verse instead of the "broken people living under loaded gun" one), that sounded good. The mix could've been better, but a lot of rock bands struggle with that on live televised performances.

It's really starting to piss me off that people think anything that doesn't sound like a totally raw, untouched vocal track has to be using Auto-Tune. It's a horrible disservice to all the other vocal effects out there, the majority of which are far more versatile, particularly for use in live situations.

i lold at the effort.

Like they can't sing over a backing track (derp), listen to the HD rip.

Also, i can't be bothered to figure out wich vst's mike is using, i have better shit to do.

Doubt its a vocoder because that wouldn't change the pitch itself unless its played by midi(chances are low they do this live).

Phaser's doesn't change key, they just.. put a phase effect on it.

Chorus? read above.

harmonizer? unless its freakenly changed on the settings, doubt it.

and for the rest of the shit that was said, TL;DR im off to bed.

Edited by XefuzioNr

Sweet. Take any pics? They've done 3 songs so far today too. Glad you had a blast. Meet any of the band? How'd you go to the rehearsal?

I saw a pic of the stage from Adam, it looks sweet.

Naw they were very strict with cams and stuff. Yeah we met Phoenix, Mike, Chester (he was hilarious and very cool) and Joe. If anyone cares to know Mike drove in, in a Range Rover, Phoenix was driving a bad ass audi SUV, and Brad was driving a black Prius. HA..I know theres people out there who wonder these things..

My friend works for 1iota and he told me to sign up and I did and I got selected! I was one of the people running.lol We did 3 shots and that was it. The band was interviewed right by us to but everyone had to keep it cool. No one was really bothering the band. When we were leaving I was walking and walked right by Brads car and Mike was bent down talking to him through the window. Laughing and talking about the performance and Brad wearing his hoodie. Then Phoenix and his wife and 2 daughters walked out to their car and we were near and we all just started clapping and he said, "thanks..see you tomorrow guys."

It was a lot of fun and an awesome experience. Rob was the only quiet one who didnt really acknowledged the fans. He was with his girlfriend though... They got there...performed and left right away. The only ones who signed stuff was Mike, Chester, and Phoenix. I think the coolest ones were Chester and Phoenix.