MTV VMA's

hahninator

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just watched the performance, definitely not as bad as Hahninator and others are making it out to be.

It wasn't amazing, but seeing as this is the first performance for a huge audience after over a year, this was fine.

I actually really liked it because of Mike's singing without effects during the lift me up/let me go part. He sounded really great. Gives me confidence for the rest of the ATS songs live when Mike has to sing.

Just watched the performance, definitely not as bad as Hahninator and others are making it out to be.

It wasn't amazing, but seeing as this is the first performance for a huge audience after over a year, this was fine.

I actually really liked it because of Mike's singing without effects during the lift me up/let me go part. He sounded really great. Gives me confidence for the rest of the ATS songs live when Mike has to sing.

It was amazing when I was there...lol

I agree with everything Astat said. Chester sounded fine, not exceptional but I only caught one spot where he was off pitch. Thank you Astat for being as pissed about the overuse of the term AutoTune in inappropriate situations as I am. Uneducated people don't understand. Overall I thought LP brought it. It will get better with time like it always does.

I don't think it was Chester's voice so much as the bad job at mixing. The vocals were really prominent and the bass/guitar seemed really low compared to everything else that was going on. Either way, I thought it was a pretty damn good job for their "first" performance of it.

For the first real live performance of the song, it really wasn't that bad. After listening to it about 15 times, Chester definitely went off key/pitch more than once. He probably had at least 10 pitchy/off key moments. It wasn't a great vocal performance by him by any standard, but I definitely wouldn't call it horrible.

As I've said before in the past, as long as they are continuing to make songs that are more difficult vocally (which they have been doing since What I've Done), then I will cut them some slack and not judge them by the same live standards as on HT/Meteora. These songs are simply harder to sing than the old ones. What I've Done, New Divide, The Catalyst, etc are all difficult songs vocal wise. I'm sure he'll improve on this song but all things considered, not bad.

So my next question is, did they play the radio edit version live or did they play 25 minutes before air so MTV could edit it?

Pretty sure it wasn't edited down, they would've had to do that in a hurry and the transitions where they cut parts out sounded like they were rehearsed that way. Plus Mike said ahead of time they'd be playing a shortened version.