NEW LINKIN PARK!

hahninator

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, the intro did remind me of SIB. That crunchy sound that followed it is kind of weird IMO. The scratching sounded like birds chirping (to me, at least). I love the backing vocals in the chorus. It's those kind of layers that make a song more powerful.

I forgot to mention, I really enjoyed the false outro where the beat started again. That was a really nice ending.

Edited by Aiman

I personally think this is one of the best 'slow' LP songs. The did a great job on this and it is for a really great cause. For the person who said it was Chester (ft. M. Shinoda and J. Hahn), you are so wrong. The entire band is all over this entire track. Chester and Mikes vocals. Joe's samples at the beginning, bridge, and outro. Dave's soothing bass through the entire song. Brad is playing a clean guitar loop through the ENTIRE song in the background. Rob's amazing drumming as always. For 'slow' LP, can't get much better than this.

Uhh...there are no live drums ANYWHERE in this song, all of the "percussion" is clearly sampled and looped. Mike could've played the guitar. Mike could've done all of the samples except for the small bit of scratching at the end. Mike could've played the bass, if that's even real bass. Sounds more like a programmed bass part to me. I'm pretty much positive that Rob and Phoenix didn't play anything on this song, and the guitar part is 50/50, could be Mike or Brad.

It's gotta be an entirely new song, not a b-side.

The lyrics are clearly about people who have been through some sort of disaster, and with the whole electronic loop/keyboard feel of the music, there's no doubt in my mind this is a song that was made recently.

The lyrics sound EXTREMELY Katrina-inspired. Wouldn't surprise me at all if this song was recorded during the MTM sessions.

:DDD LP would better disband :D

Moron #1...

Sorry, but this really REALLY really weak.

Worst song by Linkin Park EVER.

Moron #2...ever listened to Numb, Hit the Floor, or Don't Stay? Apparently not.

Shadow of the Day is brutal compared to this one.

This is like Lady Gaga synths+HipHop beat and Little Boxes Cover where Chester "sings"...

You clearly have absolutely no knowledge of music whatsoever. Synth parts like this were around long before Lady Gaga, beats like this are found in all types of music (not to mention being right in line with beats LP has used in the past), and falsetto singing is probably harder to do than any of Chester's screaming parts are. But I guess I can't expect someone like you to understand that.

I've lost all my respect for Chester.

Mike, please save Linkin Park

Losing respect for a singer over one of the best vocal performances of their career, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

Newsflash: Mike's not going to "save" LP from music like this, because Mike probably WROTE THE DAMN SONG.

The lyrics sound EXTREMELY Katrina-inspired. Wouldn't surprise me at all if this song was recorded during the MTM sessions.

Musically though, I think it falls right in line with what little description the band has given us thus-far of the new album. More beat-driven, drum machine/keyboard-feel. Right on with this song.

Mike on the song:

Barely a week after tragedy hit Haiti in the form of a massive earthquake, Linkin Park has stepped forward to help the country's struggling residents with Download to Donate for Haiti, an ambitious project featuring new music from some of the industry's top musicians. On Tuesday, we caught up with Mike Shinoda, who is currently working overtime to turn his musical talents into much-needed relief.

"Download to Donate has come together very, very quickly," Shinoda explained of the project, featuring brand-new music that can now be downloaded in exchange for a donation to Haiti relief efforts. "It was an idea as of Thursday — and as of right now, we have nine songs up."

Shinoda plans to add more tracks in the upcoming days — each from a major act who donated their track in response to the January 12 earthquake. "We ask that you donate, but you don't have to — if all you can afford is to spread the word, embed the widget, share it on Facebook, Twitter, whatever, then that will be good enough," explained the rapper/ songwriter/ guitarist for Linkin Park, whose new track "Not Alone" is offered alongside contributions from Peter Gabriel, Alanis Morissette, Dave Matthews Band and more. "We're hoping to raise a lot of money for a lot of people who need it in Haiti."

"We had a demo [for 'Not Alone'] — the music was laid out, we had done the song a little while ago ... we just never used it because we never thought it was done," Shinoda remembered of the origins of their track. "[After the tragedy in Haiti], we listened to the demo again, essentially scrapped all the words, rewrote the words ... when you've got that idea and emotional charge in you and you put that in the lyrics, for me it does make better lyrics." Those lyrics include, "I break down/ Fear is sinking in/ The cold comes/ Racing through my skin/ Searching for a way to get to you/ Through the storm you go, giving up your home/ Go, leaving all you've known/ You are not alone."

"There's an authenticity and a passion that you can hear in Chester's voice on this track; we literally wrote [the new lyrics] via e-mail, before he had flown out from Arizona to L.A. [to record them]," Shinoda said.

Part of the remarkable speed behind their reaction to Haiti, Shinoda added, can be attributed to a philanthropic groundwork the band has had in place for a half-decade. "We started our organization, Music for Relief, back in 2005 after the tsunami in South Asia," he explained. "Music for Relief's goal is to provide relief, funds and awareness in the wake of natural disasters ... this is the first time that the technology has been available to do something like this; just a few years ago, it wouldn't be possible for artists to turn around songs so quickly, in a matter of days."

Shinoda hopes fans will keep their ears — and their hearts — open for more, as he plans to upload additional tracks in the days to come.

"By the way, I should say that Music for Relief [donates] 100 percent of the funds," he added. "We're just a conduit; everybody's working for free and everybody's working hard."

Lyrics? What lyrics? You mean 10 simple, bland, cliched, recycled lines?

If either Chester or Mike actually spent time "writing" this song I'd be worried.

They made the song in like a day. If you don't like it then fine, but don't hate on them for giving us all a free track that directly helps those who need it most right now.

Lyrics? What lyrics? You mean 10 simple, bland, cliched, recycled lines?

If either Chester or Mike actually spent time "writing" this song I'd be worried.

LP's weakest point is without a doubt lyrics, I'll be with you on that one, save for the occasional exception.

And as we can see in the post above me, they rewrote the song in a very quick amount of time, so there you go. :P Though Mike's quotes about how it was a scrapped demo still don't confirm whether or not that means Not Alone was a MtM b-side or a 4th Album demo.

I think it was a 4th album demo, as Mike probably would have said it was a b-side if it was.

Though Mike's quotes about how it was a scrapped demo still don't confirm whether or not that means Not Alone was a MtM b-side or a 4th Album demo.

I think it was a 4th album demo, as Mike probably would have said it was a b-side if it was.

Ya I agree with that, I think he would've at least mentioned Minutes to Midnight if it was. And like what was said above, it sounds similar to the band's description of the new album.

Ya I agree with that, I think he would've at least mentioned Minutes to Midnight if it was. And like what was said above, it sounds similar to the band's description of the new album.

I hope its not, to be honest the new song is great, but for the cause - Linkin Park are a rock band.

I hope its not, to be honest the new song is great, but for the cause - Linkin Park are a rock band.

Knowing LP, they are never ones to limit themselves like that, to feel like a song HAS to have guitar and drums in it.

Electronica is making a big comeback recently, and as I'm a pretty big fan, this is great for me. :lol: but there is a basic sound to LP that I'm sure won't be lost with the new album.

They've never been the traditional rock band. I think everyone who's heard Reanimation knows that. I would say they're just about as much hip-hop as they are rock, at least they're earlier stuff was a lot more hip-hop oriented. I've grown to stop categorizing LP anymore because they're just all over the place, what with alternative/metal/pop/rap/hip-hop/electronica/classical/ambient sounds in their music :P