Meteora (20th Anniversary Edition) | Out Now!

martinez

Just checked out the 2002 mix of Lost - the sampled beats are in the foreground so much more, with the electronic sounds suppressed more. Guitar rhythm is more noticeable and distorted sounding.

Everything about it is clearly Meteora and Andy Wallace aha

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, AntonVoevodin said:

I hope someone from Australia or New Zealand will drop a link to the album on Spotify

Aussie here, even if I did the link wouldn't work for you.

Be patient guys, trust me it's worth the wait.

EDIT: Looks like it's on youtube now anyway.

Edited by Xandersilk

Actually, I find the new mix of Lost a lot better than the old one. I think Chester's vocals in the bridge seem to be more powerful in the new mix. And I don't like scratch samples in the verses and the clicking track in the bridge of the old mix.

As expected, I like the new mix of Lost much more than the 2002 one 😛 

The new one just hits more. It's way richer on the low end side, and it put more emphasis on Chester awesome performance. The old mix sounds a bit dated to me, as does the entire mix of Meteora honestly - just my opinion.

I'd definitely be up for a full update of Meteora mix by Manny😃 

Edited by Qwerty18

4 hours ago, Qwerty18 said:

As expected, I like the new mix of Lost much more than the 2002 one 😛 

The new one just hits more. It's way richer on the low end side, and it put more emphasis on Chester awesome performance. The old mix sounds a bit dated to me, as does the entire mix of Meteora honestly - just my opinion.

I'd definitely be up for a full update of Meteora mix by Manny😃 

What's special about this Manny? He butchered LIVING THINGS. He just got lucky with Lost because it was already mixed by the legendary Andy Wallace. I didn't even like Marroquin's mix on OML tracks. 

i had no problem at all with the new mix but the 2002 mix makes me enjoy the song more - it 'clicks' more easily with me. of course that's likely because it fits a certain sonic pallette - being mixed by Andy Wallace - that I'm already very familiar with. But more than that, doing side by side comparisons, the vocals in the new mix are a lot more forward / on-top-of-the-music than they are in the original mix. this has become very common in mixing over the last 10 years. i've never been a big fan of vocal forward mixes, much preferring the vocals to feel enveloped in the music, and the andy wallace mix definitely has that. 

6 hours ago, Sabi said:

Actually, I find the new mix of Lost a lot better than the old one. I think Chester's vocals in the bridge seem to be more powerful in the new mix. And I don't like scratch samples in the verses and the clicking track in the bridge of the old mix.

Exactly, 2002 feels empty, whoever made this new mix really Nailed it. 

That LPA letter is in the press copy, I think. Not the main copy.

Lost 2023 mix is much better than the 2002 mix, they made a great decision to mix it fresh again for 2023 standards and not be so bludgeoning for the guitars.

Live shows - the DVDs are not professionally filmed for release. Remember, they filmed Live in Texas and then had Detroit and Rock am Ring on TV so there was no need to record more shows. So these are venue feeds of what was on the screens. Manila is like 3 cameras only and it's EPIC. Denver has like, cameras that were built in on the stage so you are inches from Jonathan Davis's face, etc... I mean the shows are just insane. Yes the transitions between songs are there in video. It's all there... the intros (Gacela) and Slayer 2003 were licensed for this release so they cut absolutely nothing. None of the DVDs look bad at all, they just aren't Live in Texas style with a billion dollars of production equipment filming it everywhere, it's more minimalist but you see everything, have everything there. They are AMAZING.

Nottingham's quality upgrade is amazing. Hit the Floor and Easier to Run are both very good on there, wow. And Live in Texas's videos are upgraded on YouTube too. Man, this is so epic.

Lost: Amazing, super strong and having both mixes is great. I got used to the new one but the old one does have its merits.

Fighting Myself: Great song, love the bridge/ending part.

More The Victim: My personal star of this release. Holy cow what a strong hook. Awesome!

Massive: The surprise of the release. Can totally see the Deftones vibe and don't really miss Chester in this one because Mike works great here (as he did during the "My Own Summer" cover - maybe that's what inspired this vocal performance here?)

Healing Foot: Fully vocalized holy grail, I mean, what more can I say? The bridge gives me goosebumps, overall very nice, not the strongest chorus but I don't want to complain about that.

As for all the "real" demos: I don't think I will listen to those much. Don't feel the desire to do so a second time. It's incredible to have them for their evolution but aside from interesting bits here and there I do not see much appeal to them.

The only small "disappointments" I can see so far is a lack of Chester demo vocals on the second half, which can have a lot of reasons. Still, I personally believe there are a lot more demo vocals for at a couple of those demos. We got some stuff over the years and knowing that for example "Fighting Myself" wasn't even worked on in the studio but we have a full vocal take on that gets me thinking.

Anyway: "A6" was my highest bet on being a completed version, too but seeing as it is probably one of the earliest incarnations of this song I can't feel mad about it. Maybe someday we'll get a full version (btw the <1 min "A.06" get's me pumped beyond believe, the bass is fucking amazing!).

So, yeah, a new "Meteora" EP was well worth the wait and I'm looking forward to the DVDs. Thank you, Linkin Park :)

2 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

That LPA letter is in the press copy, I think. Not the main copy.

Ahhh yeah, that makes sense! Really cool letter though, heartwarming. 

Haven’t had a chance to go through everything yet, but going in blind and realizing that Cumulus had a demo with vocals was absolutely insane. Still need to go through the rest - and watch the DVDs

The HQ versions of Live in Texas being uploaded to YouTube was such a surprise. Such a major upgrade. 

LP really put in their all during the M20 rollout, I have a lot of casual listeners of LP on my Instagram posting stuff about M20, it’s a awesome to see

I saw the newly updated "Live in Texas" videos and I think that the cameras were digital, not with film so there is no proper remastering from film, like we see on the 4K upgraded music videos (shot on film). Some shots from Texas look like the already unofficial upscaled versions from YouTube. If you watch this clips on a Desktop screen you will notice the pixels and so on. It seems to look at most a 540p, not even 720p. Maybe someone will ask this things during the Worldwide Q&A. 

Anyway, waiting for the DVDs.

On the Texas DVD it only says: "Filmed with Panavision cameras and lenses".

Edited by aaaaaaA

4 hours ago, RYG4R said:

What's special about this Manny? He butchered LIVING THINGS. He just got lucky with Lost because it was already mixed by the legendary Andy Wallace. I didn't even like Marroquin's mix on OML tracks. 

3 hours ago, djzap said:

i had no problem at all with the new mix but the 2002 mix makes me enjoy the song more - it 'clicks' more easily with me. of course that's likely because it fits a certain sonic pallette - being mixed by Andy Wallace - that I'm already very familiar with. But more than that, doing side by side comparisons, the vocals in the new mix are a lot more forward / on-top-of-the-music than they are in the original mix. this has become very common in mixing over the last 10 years. i've never been a big fan of vocal forward mixes, much preferring the vocals to feel enveloped in the music, and the andy wallace mix definitely has that. 

Exactly. 2002 mix is stronger, I love it. New mix is boring and empty. Old mix has more sound in it. It's more enjoyable. I listen Lost more often with this old mix. When I heard new mix, I was bored after a few listenings. Old mix is simply better. It's balanced - voice = music. New mix is not balanced - voice > music.

23 minutes ago, bakerrron11 said:

Is there a way to watch the DVD throw the internet or someone can share a download Link to these shows please 🙏??

Do not ask for download links to official material. They'll all eventually be uploaded to YouTube I'm sure.

4 hours ago, RYG4R said:

I'll post it one last time, but I assume people will ignore it because it doesn't fit their narrative: Living Things, One More Light and the new Lost mix sound the way they do because that's how the band wants them to sound, not because of the person who mixed it. A mixing engineer has no creative freedom and they won't be able to turn the volume of guitars for example down, just because they think it's better and the band has to live with it. A mixing engineer is just there to bring the vision of the artist alive by applying their craftsmanship to make that sound work, and Manny is pretty much one of the best when it comes to that. If I recall correctly both Mike and Brad are in the room for the whole mixing process so they could always raise their voice if they think the output is not what they have envisioned.

Does that mean you have to like the way the guitars are more muted on those albums and tracks? No, absolutely not, you don't. But the responsibility for that sound is on the band, not the mixing engineer.

Also I will take the bait but the people who prefer the old mix seem like the typical "louder guitars = gooder music!!" group but I'll just leave that topic alone now.

10 minutes ago, Coizu said:

I'll post it one last time, but I assume people will ignore it because it doesn't fit their narrative: Living Things, One More Light and the new Lost mix sound the way they do because that's how the band wants them to sound, not because of the person who mixed it. A mixing engineer has no creative freedom and they won't be able to turn the volume of guitars for example down, just because they think it's better and the band has to live with it. A mixing engineer is just there to bring the vision of the artist alive by applying their craftsmanship to make that sound work, and Manny is pretty much one of the best when it comes to that. If I recall correctly both Mike and Brad are in the room for the whole mixing process so they could always raise their voice if they think the output is not what they have envisioned.

Does that mean you have to like the way the guitars are more muted on those albums and tracks? No, absolutely not, you don't. But the responsibility for that sound is on the band, not the mixing engineer.

Also I will take the bait but the people who prefer the old mix seem like the typical "louder guitars = gooder music!!" group but I'll just leave that topic alone now.

People can't handle the fact that their favorite artist might have a opposite vision about what their own music should sound like

I finally processed the whole package, it is wonderful. Having LPU demos from the era packed together and lost demos including songs which feel almost finished like FM and MTV. Healing Foot is amazing, it has almost finished feel. I don’t think we will get anything more from the era in the future, as it is the most they could offer (and possibly the most they could find). I am really grateful for that. The Work in progress DVD is so good. Gonna watch that again tomorrow, so much cool stuff.