Meteora (20th Anniversary Edition) | Out Now!

martinez

So with the song board showing Plaster 2 and Figure 09 as two different songs, I wonder how different they ever were given what plaster 2 sounds like on the M20 release. If they had Figure 09 (2002 demo) and Plaster 2 at the same time, surely they were already basically considering them the same song and wouldn't have them as two different songs on the board like that right? Makes me think there must be earlier seeds that were much more different and warranted separate places on the board

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Mike meant to say he didn't find the multitracks in his drives, and management pulled them from their vault and gave them to him.

The songs on the board of the DVD are the following:

Cumulus (More the Victim)

Interrogation (Easier to Run)

Cuidado (Lying from You)

Pretty Birdie (Somewhere I Belong)

Shifter (From the Inside)

Shortcut (Fighting Myself)

Nocturnal (Nobody's Listening as confirmed by Mike today on twitter)

Session (Session)

Resolution (Lost)

Faint (Faint)

Sick (Don't Stay)

Plaster II (Figure.09)

Husky (Hit The Floor)

Drawing (Breaking the Habit)

Figure.09 (?)

So that leaves working title Figure.09 for Numb or another track which hasn't been released yet (apart from Massive, A.06 and Healing Foot) - a new holy grail if it was so deep in the recording process.

Edited by linkinepi

43 minutes ago, LinkinParkFan said:

These 3 are new holy grails. You can listen snippets here:

- unknown Meteora demo

- Shortcut

- Lost demo (Thoughts That Take Away My Pride)

Like I said on my other comment here, easily should've been over 20 demos in total, just be extremely kind and generous to the fans and give it all. But still, I really, really like what we've got.

8 hours ago, Ex97 said:

LOL Chester on the PR04 show:

’’I don’t think Mike’s ever been violated like that before, it was a new experience for him’’. OMG haha. 

Also during APFMH when Chester goes down into the pit he says ‘’There we go, Daddy‘s on board now’’. 

Just when I thought the show had no funny banter. 

I love APFMH from Manila when they bring the fan up. Just like Rock am Ring 2004. I wonder what ever happened to this guy?? Hahaha. Just some random guy in the Philippines? Or huge fan? Pretty epic that now his moment is on an official DVD.

Also, APFMH from Denver also has some interesting dialogue before Chester goes into the crowd for his screams mid song. Anyone know what it is? Is it Joe playing it? I also thought it was funny at one point (can’t remember which song) it says ‘’Lost Footage’’ for like 20 seconds but still plays the audio, was it this show or Manila? I’ll have to rewatch it. I love how raw they are. Man I hope with MTM20 we can get one of those epic Europe 2008 shows we never got a DSP for as one of these style of videos, Greece 2008 comes to mind, Fiore was filming on stage and it’s also a super good show if you watch the low quality videos from it, wayyyyyy better than 2009 Greece. Chester kisses Talinda during Reading My Eyes too and flips off Fiore jokingly which is funny and he sings it differently at this show: really good show. 

As far as people fighting about the Lost mixes… there are two so who cares? It’s not like LP gave us the new one only. And it’s easy to find the 2002 in WAV online even if you don’t have the CD. I personally like the 2002 mix but the new mix isn’t bad either, in some cases it’s better actually, I think the drums sound better and some of Chester’s vocals do too, especially in the chorus. I just like that heavy guitar turned up loud, I’m a sucker for that.

Also sorry but I have one last question for anyone who knows the answer… So Fighting Myself/Shortcut was not finalized for the main album at the very end then? I say this because Mike said he didn’t even remember there were Chester vocals for it until someone who works with the band found the stems and sent him them and then he added them in. He said fans will think it sounds like a fully done song but it’s not it’s about 90% there. 

Does this mean Lost and More The Victim were the true ‘’cut songs’’ from the album? Was More The Victim mixed by Andy? Because I remember the band said they recorded 15 songs for Meteora and I would assume that meant the 12 on the album (Foreword doesn’t count since it’s part of Don’t Stay IMO) plus Lost, Fighting Myself and More The Victim. Interesting, so did they record Fighting Myself as a part of the 15 just without Chester since Mike said he forget the vocals for the song even existed? I’m confused sorry to anyone I am not trying to be annoying. 

Last thing, More the Victim and Massive were my initial favorites but I’m now really enjoying Wesside strangely even though I just it was just a typical Meteora instrumental at first haha. I also really kind of like Husky, I think the verses are cool. I always liked Hit the Floor. I know some fans don’t like it. I love how we got a HQ live version too of the song. 

I also take back when I said Manila was my favorite… I think Denver is now after watching it in full. But Manila is still A+. Anything from the summer of 2004 is A+, I am willing to bet legit any show on  the summer of 2004 tours was amazing lol, kind of like the 2007 PR or Summer Sonic 2006.

Some quick answers I can give to your questions: There's a "Lost Footage" bit a the beginning of the Veterans Stadium show while they do what's called the Devil Worship Intro. The actual band footage starts when Joe is changing records to go into Don't Stay. I don't know if there's anything like this on disc (DVD) 3; I haven't gotten to this disc yet.

Mike mixed More The Victim. All the demos on the Lost Demo disc are credited as being Produced and Mixed by Mike, except for Lost, which is Produced by Don Gilmore and Mixed by Manny Marroquin.

We know based on the song board that More The Victim (Cumulus) and Fighting Myself (Shortcut) made it to NRG and had a decent amount of work done there. I would consider those two plus Lost (Resolution) as part of those "cut songs" given their inclusion on the song board with some significant progress. There's one song that got dropped and the question is if it's Healing Foot, given it's drum tracking marker, or if its Numb.

The only song completely finished and wrapped up for Meteora for album inclusion was Lost. And they cut it. They had More the Victim in their pocket if they needed another song for an international bonus track or something. And if they needed even more than those two, they could have looked at pulling others. Fighting Myself was still in demo form, Mike built that song up in 2022. Quite doubtful that song would have come out in 2003/2004 for a bonus track or anything because Chester's vocals are unfinished on that.

10 hours ago, linkinepi said:

I believe Mike meant to say he didn't find the multitracks in his drives, and management pulled them from their vault and gave them to him.

Cuidado (Lying from You)

Session (Session)

Resolution (Lost)

Faint (Faint)

Sick (Don't Stay)

Plaster II (Figure.09)

Husky (Hit The Floor)

Figure.09 (?)

So that leaves working title Figure.09 for Numb or another track which hasn't been released yet (apart from Massive, A.06 and Healing Foot) - a new holy grail if it was so deep in the recording process.

Hopefully someone asked about the Figure.09/Plaster II discrepancy in the Q&A today. They're not different enough demos to have brought both into the studio with them.

2 hours ago, HFL377 said:

Hopefully someone asked about the Figure.09/Plaster II discrepancy in the Q&A today. They're not different enough demos to have brought both into the studio with them.

That's what I'm thinking, but we also don't know what versions we have. They could have started out very different, and then slowly converged to the point where combining them felt more natural. I mean just look how much Resolution changed to become Lost. 

It's also hard to imagine Plaster 2 sounding too different if it's supposed to be OSC part 2. It could also be that they just had them separated as a creative exercise - flesh out everything on each track and then pick the best elements of each. 

14 hours ago, linkinepi said:

Cuidado (Lying from You)

Session (Session)

Resolution (Lost)

Faint (Faint)

Sick (Don't Stay)

Plaster II (Figure.09)

Husky (Hit The Floor)

Figure.09 (?)

Where are Serpent and Nursery?

Also Resolution is not Lost, 

They only relied on her to make Lost.

We could say for the same reason that Fire In The City would be a demo of Given Up (It's not, it's just a song that evolved)

Also, if you compare the final versions of Resolution and Lost they are nothing alike.

On 4/8/2023 at 8:52 AM, LPLStaff said:

The songs are available to stream on LP's YouTube.

So, glad we didn't ask a question to the band about Serpent and Nocturnal. There is no Serpent, it's Shortcut which is Fighting Myself. And they are working on a fourth unknown song.

So, Nocturnal is either Numb or Nobody's Listening. And one doesn't have a title yet (the other song that isn't Nocturnal). The new photo from the DVD clears up a lot. And as we know now, Resolution = Lost. 

Nocturnal is Nobody's Listening

25 minutes ago, FigurePlaster92 said:

Where are Serpent and Nursery?

Also Resolution is not Lost, 

They only relied on her to make Lost.

We could say for the same reason that Fire In The City would be a demo of Given Up (It's not, it's just a song that evolved)

Also, if you compare the final versions of Resolution and Lost they are nothing alike.

Serpent and Nursery/Hearsay never existed. Those were just misconceptions because the board was not clear in the Making of Meteora DVD. They were always Shortcut (Fighting Myself) and Husky (Hit the Floor).

Resolution is 100% Lost. It's been confirmed by Brad, as well. It's the same scenario with Holding Company -> Lost in the Echo, Animals -> Roads Untraveled, they developed from earlier demos, but kept their working title.

17 hours ago, LinkinParkFan said:

These 3 are new holy grails. You can listen snippets here:

- unknown Meteora demo

- Shortcut

- Lost demo (Thoughts That Take Away My Pride)

I really wish we had that version of Lost included. I'm guessing they don't have those stems anymore. Still, really cool to hear a little more of that version of the song after all these years. 

3 hours ago, linkinepi said:

Serpent and Nursery/Hearsay never existed. Those were just misconceptions because the board was not clear in the Making of Meteora DVD. They were always Shortcut (Fighting Myself) and Husky (Hit the Floor).

Resolution is 100% Lost. It's been confirmed by Brad, as well. It's the same scenario with Holding Company -> Lost in the Echo, Animals -> Roads Untraveled, they developed from earlier demos, but kept their working title.

Animals to Roads Untraveled??

What's going on??

38 minutes ago, FigurePlaster92 said:

Animals to Roads Untraveled??

What's going on??

Mike confirmed that in an interview. LP have been known to take an element of a demo and create something entirely new around it. Mike wasn’t saying Animals led directly to Roads Untraveled or that it’s the same song, just that the ideas in that demo led to other ideas which led to other ideas and so on until they arrived at Roads Untraveled.

2 hours ago, bruh009 said:

Isn't "Shortcut" just "Fighting Myself"?

It is, but it's unreleased demo.

1 hour ago, Xandersilk said:

Yeah, I forgot those.

BTW, I believe they made "Shortcut" from "Program". It sounds like if they trimmed guitars out of it and shortened them. It would answear the question why it is called "Shortcut".

4 hours ago, LinkinParkFan said:

It is, but it's unreleased demo.

Yeah, I forgot those.

BTW, I believe they made "Shortcut" from "Program". It sounds like if they trimmed guitars out of it and shortened them. It would answear the question why it is called "Shortcut".

Bit of a stretch tbh I don’t think there’s a lot of thought that goes into the working titles, it’s just so they have something to refer to.

19 minutes ago, vinifeijo said:

How many sales HT20 had?

And how's MT20 doing?

Going to debut n. 3 in UK and selling 27k first week in U.S.

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/ellie-goulding-eyeing-fourth-number-1-album-with-higher-than-heaven__39014/

https://kworb.net/charts/apple_a/us.html

Edited by Somebodyangry

Would be nice to have a vinyl rip of Nottingham 2003 somehow, since the track splits are a little off in the release:
- Rob cymbal taps to start the song are cut from the Hit the Floor track

- Krwlng intro to Crawling is cut from the Crawling track

- In the End intro sample is cut from the In the End track
- Rob cymbal taps to start the song are cut from the One Step Closer track

A little bothersome, not too much, but would be nice to have a vinyl rip to track it properly.

Edit: Check the start of From the Inside, looks like maybe one cymbal tap from that is cut out and is on the track prior?