Meteora (20th Anniversary Edition) | Out Now!

martinez

2 hours ago, Coizu said:

Also I will take the bait but the people who prefer the old mix seem like the typical "louder guitars = gooder music!!" group but I'll just leave that topic alone now.

Eh, I think that's a bit reductive. I don't even know of that as a talking point amongst LP fans and I prefer the 2002 mix. It's not about the guitars for me - it's the bass and soundscape of the verses that I prefer in the 2002 mix, and that the vocals are lower in the mix. No need to disrespect others because they have a different preference from you.

Also, mixing does have a level of creative input. It is a very creative process and can totally reshape the sound of a song. Yes, Mike and Brad may be in there too giving feedback and directing things, but that does not cut the mixing engineer out of the equation - they are also in the room providing feedback and direction. Saying that, the band are certainly onboard with the mixes for the albums and songs and have the final say.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, aaaaaaA said:

t seems to look at most a 540p, not even 720p. Maybe someone will ask this things during the Worldwide Q&A. 

Anyway, waiting for the DVDs.

On the Texas DVD it only says: "Filmed with Panavision cameras and lenses".

There are things the band isn't involved with for releases lol, they would have literally no idea about this. Mike doesn't even remember from 2022 if he sang on Massive or not. The label and management do the things like upgrade quality on things (music videos, etc) and do the animated videos on YouTube for the songs, etc. Not a shot that Mike, Dave, Brad, and whoever else shows up Monday would know anything about what quality or method was used on Live in Texas in 2023 lol

3 hours ago, Coizu said:

I'll post it one last time, but I assume people will ignore it because it doesn't fit their narrative: Living Things, One More Light and the new Lost mix sound the way they do because that's how the band wants them to sound, not because of the person who mixed it. A mixing engineer has no creative freedom and they won't be able to turn the volume of guitars for example down, just because they think it's better and the band has to live with it. A mixing engineer is just there to bring the vision of the artist alive by applying their craftsmanship to make that sound work, and Manny is pretty much one of the best when it comes to that. If I recall correctly both Mike and Brad are in the room for the whole mixing process so they could always raise their voice if they think the output is not what they have envisioned.

Does that mean you have to like the way the guitars are more muted on those albums and tracks? No, absolutely not, you don't. But the responsibility for that sound is on the band, not the mixing engineer.

Also I will take the bait but the people who prefer the old mix seem like the typical "louder guitars = gooder music!!" group but I'll just leave that topic alone now.

Nailed it. Lost needed a modern mix for the 2023 release.

2 hours ago, JZ-GreyDaze said:

WTF? for real? this is like the very first mention of Bert? OMG!!!

which other guests appear?

Joanthan Davis and there is a camera on the stage, like IN the stage, right in his face. Really cool.

Manila is filmed with literally like 3 cameras total and the show is just incredible.

39 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

Joanthan Davis and there is a camera on the stage, like IN the stage, right in his face. Really cool.

Manila is filmed with literally like 3 cameras total and the show is just incredible.

Have you seen the Veterans Stadium 2003 DVD? I suspect that there are editing errors at the end of Numb, for example. They are only short cuts, but at one point Brad plays the notes of the verse instead of the chords and Rob plays the drums completely out of sync. Last chorus from Numb, can you confirm that @LPLStaff?

Not that it's a huge deal compared to the other stuff we got in M20, but...I remember "Attached" coming out in 2016 as a part of LPU 15. It was right around my last year of high school & I have a lot of feelings attached to this demo for some reason. I'm so glad it's on streaming now 🤍.

8 hours ago, Coizu said:

I'll post it one last time, but I assume people will ignore it because it doesn't fit their narrative: Living Things, One More Light and the new Lost mix sound the way they do because that's how the band wants them to sound, not because of the person who mixed it.

100% - Also, maybe a controversial take, but while the 2003 mix is great for nostalgic purposes (it matches the Meteora mixing more)...I think the new mix was definitely a part of the reason the song popped off so much recently airplay and streaming wise.

Both mixes sound great, but it's not like the new mix was something the label did unilaterally. Mike, Brad and much of the rest of the band were likely involved in the new mix and it really helps breathe new life into the song.

4 hours ago, Sessin said:

Have you seen the Veterans Stadium 2003 DVD? I suspect that there are editing errors at the end of Numb, for example. They are only short cuts, but at one point Brad plays the notes of the verse instead of the chords and Rob plays the drums completely out of sync. Last chorus from Numb, can you confirm that @LPLStaff?

Why do you think that? Haven't seen it. That show was also filmed with just a few cameras (all of them were) so editing something would be odd unless they were trying to get more band members in view and the black screens were during that part or something.

Context: Sometimes some of the shows have the black screens due to them being in-house feeds, but not during the Denver transitions. :)

Can't get enough of Nottingham, been listening all day.

I'm wondering if I use the new Live in Texas tracks as doubles for the tracks on LPU3, they're the same performances and songs, but I heard the ones on LPU3 were mixed differently than the video album, so I'm a bit conflicted.

12 hours ago, Coizu said:

People shouldn't be lumped into the "oNlY hYbriD thEoRy AnD mETeOrA fOr mE!" group because they have a preference to one mix over another of the exact same song that was recorded during Meteora anyways. It's just a different flavor of the same song, just like any of their other songs with different mix variants, such as the Talking To Myself radio mix.

1 hour ago, Ex97 said:

Manila 2004 might be one of my favorite LP shows of all time. Holy shit. It’s so good!!!!!!!!! Flawless performance, band looks awesome, feels like I’m right at the show. I love this shit. These live DVD’s are so amazing. Best part of the package. 

Set list ? ☺️

9 hours ago, sofiafox1 said:

I'm wondering if I use the new Live in Texas tracks as doubles for the tracks on LPU3, they're the same performances and songs, but I heard the ones on LPU3 were mixed differently than the video album, so I'm a bit conflicted.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but as far as I know, this new 2023 is essentially the same recording as shown in the DVD. The LPU3 had some tweeks here and there. Let's say that the recording of Figure.09 in the DVD is 90% Dallas and 10% Houston. For the LPU3 CD they might have done 90% Houston and 10% Dallas in the same song (Reason behind this: I don't know). That's why the tracks on that CD are a little bit different 

Edited by bloodbath

The songs are available to stream on LP's YouTube.

So, glad we didn't ask a question to the band about Serpent and Nocturnal. There is no Serpent, it's Shortcut which is Fighting Myself. And they are working on a fourth unknown song.

So, Nocturnal is either Numb or Nobody's Listening. And one doesn't have a title yet (the other song that isn't Nocturnal). The new photo from the DVD clears up a lot. And as we know now, Resolution = Lost. 

A quick review, because it's fun 😛 

Lost : yep, that was a lost treasure. This is legit a studio album single, it just got unlucky 20 years ago. But now, it finally has its moment in the sun

Fighting Myself: a banger. To me, the coolest thing is the story behind it, and how they just recently found back Chester recordings. Like, the full version wasn't even supposed to exist

More The Victim : also studio quality stuff here. A bit of pop punk vibe in the chorus/bridge

Massive: lives up to the name. The bridge really is that - massive. Big Deftones vibes.

Healing Foot : another holy grail. The melodies are really fun in this one, and the verses hit surprisingly hard. 

A6 : really rough, but cool to hear it with some vocals at the least

Cuidado : super rough, probably not going to play this one a lot ^^

Husky : a bit boring to me, honestly. Not that different from the final version

Interrogation : that is a pretty instrumental right here

Faint : not much added value in comparison to LPU9

Plaster 2: the highlight here is definitely the riff in the bridge, kind of  awkward, but it bangs

Shifter : I love the melodies in here, and how experimental the whole thing sounds. It has an ethereal/atmospheric quality to it, but it also rock hard at times. One of my favorites.

Wesside: this was a surprisingly fun/catchy one

Resolution : wow, I never though "The Wizard song" could sound this... dark. Mike verses remind be a bit of "Fort Minor - Slip Out The Back". Pretty though to un-hear Chester when the chorus comes though 😃 but it's really a cool demo ! Also one of my favorites.

All in all, absolute monster of a release. Can't believe we got this amount of new quality stuff all at once. Really grateful for it.

1 minute ago, dneprstyle said:

Guys, what I need to buy to get all new live shows (video versions)? Is there any set other then the main box set maybe? 

Only the super deluxe version has the DVDs

The Super Deluxe has everything except:

- The version of the Meteora CD that includes Lost (2002 Mix) which is exclusive to the CD bundle

- The vinyl of LPU rarities which is exclusive to the vinyl bundle

- The vinyl of Live Rarities which is exclusive to the vinyl bundle

7 minutes ago, HT_lash said:

I really wish there was a digital version of the dvds for sale

Me too, but I,m sure that will be on YouTube sooner or later 

Edited by Stewe

14 hours ago, TheInterframe said:

Not that it's a huge deal compared to the other stuff we got in M20, but...I remember "Attached" coming out in 2016 as a part of LPU 15. It was right around my last year of high school & I have a lot of feelings attached to this demo for some reason. I'm so glad it's on streaming now 🤍.

100% - Also, maybe a controversial take, but while the 2003 mix is great for nostalgic purposes (it matches the Meteora mixing more)...I think the new mix was definitely a part of the reason the song popped off so much recently airplay and streaming wise.

Both mixes sound great, but it's not like the new mix was something the label did unilaterally. Mike, Brad and much of the rest of the band were likely involved in the new mix and it really helps breathe new life into the song.

How is it controversial? People just can't move on when the band clearly has, I'm glad they did. The new one is far superior and fits the idea they had behind the album. This new mix is massive and I'm excited what new roads the band will take, I was wondering what the 2002 would be I thought it was a acoustic or a rough idea. As for those still living in the past let them. Who cares honestly. 

Regarding the Lost mix issue:

First and foremost let's appreciate that we have access to both. Having said that, let's be real, if you want to make a HUGE comeback to the world, it has to be with modern standards. If they had returned with the same 02 mix, many casual fans would have regarded it as a demo or a nostalgia act. They have to sound modern, like the track was really composed today, with the classic LP formula. That's why the track has been such a success. Not even the rest of the songs will receive the same amount of affection. The 02 mix is great for us, the hardcore fans, but we're a minority.