Meteora (20th Anniversary Edition) | Out Now!

martinez

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Diehardlpfan77 said:

Does anyone else feel sad listening to resolution? Now that we know it shares instruments with the wizard song it feels kind of empty hearing it without Chester's vocals.

I don't know but in my head the vocals are there every time I listen to it. It's rather funny how stuck they are in my head even though I barely listened to the Wizard Song clip ever.

Some thoughts from me after a few listens:

Lost - I have listened to this song so many times that it lost a bit of magic for me and it became an "ordinary thing", but this doesn't change my opinion about it; it's an amazing track; the chorus and bridge are so powerful and they work wonderfully in contrast to beautiful and tender verses; Chester's vocal delivery is incredible; I'm glad that they mixed it again for this release - thanks to that, it basically sounds like a new song created in 2023; I'm grateful that the band has released this song - it's simply awesome; I don't know if it should have replaced any song on the album - after the premiere of Lost I was convinced that it should have taken the place of Hit the Floor or Nobody's Listening but I agree with Mike and Brad that it has the same energy as Numb; they wouldn't work well together; even though Lost is a song better than some tracks that are on Meteora, stuff like HTF or NL have different vibe that was certainly needed in this album as well

Fighting Myself - I had abstained from listening to this song after its official premiere and rightly so! my only experience with this song before yesterday's listens was the radio rip that I had listened to maybe twice and I believe it was a right decision because in the end I had more "new songs" to admire yesterday; it's a great song as well; I especially like Mike's verses - his flow in this track sounds even a bit modern in my opinion; it could have easily found its place on Meteora... the bridge is great as well, especially vocal transition to the last chorus - beautiful! Chester's voice was so powerful at that time; the reversed vocal sample sounds very cool as well and adds an interesting texture to the track

More the Victim - I'd listened to the radio rip a lot so yesterday it was just an upgrade of quality for me; it's such a great song as well; I like Mike's raps, Chester's vocals, the instrumental sounds huge - I like the combination of strings and synths here; the drums sound great as well - they have a lot of punch as if they were recorded and mixed recently; my favourite part is the pre-chorus, Chester's vocals are beautiful there ("I used to be as innocent as you...", wow!); it's such a gem! it lost a bit of magic for me as well becuase I've listened to it a lot but what can I do?!

Massive - with this one I'm a bit disappointed but only because I read a lot of positive comments about it and got hyped; it's a cool song, guitar riffs are dope (especially in the bridge) but this song feels really "demoish"; the praise of Mike's vocals here is simply an overrecation, I think; I kinda like his delivery in the verses, especially how he transitions from singing to rapping just before the chorus, but his singing in the chorus is weak and simply worked as a sketch to show how Chester was supposed to sing it (similarly to Breaking the Habit); I'm not a big fan of the chorus melody anyway; it's a nice song to have and I'll listen to it often but it's not something that I'll rave about

Healing Foot - YES! this one is the hidden gem; it sounds finished to my ears; Mike's flow is awesome, the chorus is great and I absolutely love the instrumental; the piano melody (so popular even before we got to know the song) is magical; I like the production as well; even though it's a demo from 2002, it sounds very good; the mix of the piano and strings/synths is awesome and sounds modern; I don't know what else to say - this song along with Lost, More the Victim and Fighting Myself is a treasure! I don't know why but for me it feels like "as if LP created a new album in the style of Meteora" - it has a bit of new twist to the classic LP style, I cannot really explain it properly; for so many years I'd wanted to finally listen to the Rob's Drum Track from the Making Of and I didn't expect it to be such a wonderful song!

Resolution - I like the piano very much; the instrumental really has some kind of mysterious and mystical atmosphere (The Wizard Song, huh?), something I've never heard from LP before; Mike's verses are cool but a bit worse, in my opinion, than those on Healing Foot, Fighting Myself or More the Victim; I like the part right before the chorus, it has a nice synth; the chorus itself is a bit too trivial with this heavy guitar playing only power chords turned up so much that you cannot hear anything else; it's just a demo though so I'm not complaining... I wish the song had vocals from Chester!

Some thoughts about other tracks:

- Mike's verses in A6 are great! I like the abstract imagery in the lyrics; I cannot believe that it's not a version with Chester's vocals... we've got 3 or 4 different versions of this song and it's still not a version with some singing! I truly believe that there is a version with Chester's vocals somewhere - I don't know why they didn't give it to us; they'll release it for the 40th anniversary? I understand keeping some extra stuff with Chester for some other occasions but I think it's not appropriate if it's the same track again but with some slight changes; I have enough of A6 - give us the version with full vocals! 😂 Yeah, but seriously, I cannot complain - we've got so much great stuff that I'm okay with them withholding something

- Husky has a nice hip-hop drumbeat in the verses that is not present in the final version and got replaced with real drums; I wish they kept it just like in the demo version; I like the outro here more as well

- I don't like Cuidado at all; it's nice to have a demo of Lying from You, it's one of my favourite songs from LP but there is nothing that it's worth noticing, really

- Wesside is great! I especially like the piano melody; I wish it was a demo with vocals!

- Shifter is cool! I like the ideas that Mike had for vocals; the vocal ideas that they stuck with for From the Inside are better but it's a very interesting demo right here! the synth in the chorus is a bit annoying though

- Plaster 2 is interesting; I like the mysterious intro and Mike's alternative verses are cool; the riff in the bridge is monstrous!

One thing that I'd also like to add is that LPU Rarities CD is very tiring to listen to. These demos are a bit repetitive. Meteora's style is legendary but it only works properly with vocals. Most of these demos are similar to each other. The distorted guitar are a bit annoying when you listen to the CD full of loud power-chords riffs. When they are put among other tracks, like on LPU CDs, they are quite enjoyable. However, yesterday it was a bit difficult for me to sit down and listen to the whole thing in one sitting. Obviously, I'm not complaining at all. They are all just demos which were created to have vocals in their potential final form, I'm just describing my experience. Live Rarities CD is great. It's good to have ETR, My December, Step Up, Wish and Hip-Hop Medley live on one CD.

I don't know what else to add... The entire boxset feels like a beautiful and nostalgic journey. It's good to hear more tracks with Chester's vocals. I absoultely love these 4 finished/almost finished songs that we got. I haven't watched all the DVDs yet (I watched just one concert from 2003 yesterday as the boxset arrived quite late in the afternoon and also I want to prolong exploring the release) but I'm so happy that we can watch 4 previously unreleased live shows and I'm sure that all of them are awesome. Chester's vocals were on point at the time. Work In Progress DVD must be cool as well! I'm going to watch it next week. I'm really grateful that the band decided to release this collection.

2 hours ago, Awalkinthelinkinpark said:

How is it controversial? People just can't move on when the band clearly has, I'm glad they did. The new one is far superior and fits the idea they had behind the album. This new mix is massive and I'm excited what new roads the band will take, I was wondering what the 2002 would be I thought it was a acoustic or a rough idea. As for those still living in the past let them. Who cares honestly. 

Jesus Christ, for the last time, let people like things without shitting on them for being "StUcK iN tHe pAsT" regarding a song that was never released until 2023 regardless of the mix. That's childish as fuck.

17 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

Why do you think that? Haven't seen it. That show was also filmed with just a few cameras (all of them were) so editing something would be odd unless they were trying to get more band members in view and the black screens were during that part or something.

Quite simply, you see Brad picking the notes of the verse and playing individual strings. He is not playing a chord. But we are in the chorus right now.

Rob should be hitting the snare at this point, but he's not.

For me, this means that either two cameras are running asynchronously or something else is going on. If you want, I can send you a PM where you can see it. Of course this is not tragic in the first moment. But if this happens over the whole DVD I find it disturbing, because you think the DVD player or the DVD has an error. 🤔

Got mine today early in the morning, just went out and bought it on a physical music store.

Haven't seen the DVD's so I can only say about the music, and so far: I'm so glad we've got so many Meteora vocal demos, gosh, my inner child from almost 20 years ago, the presentation is a huge upgrade from the outdated black boxes of HT20 and even ATS, love it so much. If I had maybe a few extremely small complains I could say I wouldn't mind having a lot more demos, why not? Fill up the list up to 20, at most. Also, the 2002 Andy Wallace mix didn't feel like a Meteora song to me, for whatever reason. I think I might enjoy the newer mix, strange, massive respect to Andy's legendary career but that one sounded a bit off.

Edited by RentEznor

9 hours ago, Sessin said:

Quite simply, you see Brad picking the notes of the verse and playing individual strings. He is not playing a chord. But we are in the chorus right now.

For me, this means that either two cameras are running asynchronously or something else is going on. If you want, I can send you a PM where you can see it. Of course this is not tragic in the first moment. But if this happens over the whole DVD I find it disturbing, because you think the DVD player or the DVD has an error. 🤔

This isn't any different from the way Live in Texas is edited, try and count how many times Brad's guitar changes during Somewhere I Belong, for instance. They don't always pick camera shots with regard to continuity with the audio.

On 4/8/2023 at 5:31 AM, Sessin said:

Have you seen the Veterans Stadium 2003 DVD? I suspect that there are editing errors at the end of Numb, for example. They are only short cuts, but at one point Brad plays the notes of the verse instead of the chords and Rob plays the drums completely out of sync. Last chorus from Numb, can you confirm that @LPLStaff?

Already watched the Veterans Stadium DVD and the out of sync clip on numb that is circulating is different compare to the official edit, Brad and Rob scene is not there. Also on One Step Closer the video clip on youtube for Summer Sanitarium Tailgate Party is also different, Chester is on the platform of stage but on the official edit he went up.

18 minutes ago, rvinpark said:

Already watched the Veterans Stadium DVD and the out of sync clip on numb that is circulating is different compare to the official edit, Brad and Rob scene is not there. Also on One Step Closer the video clip on youtube for Summer Sanitarium Tailgate Party is also different, Chester is on the platform of stage but on the official edit he went up.

That's right, thank you for the feedback.

I could now also compare the official footage with the clip on Youtube. The image from the Youtube clip/teaser does NOT match the official one. So far nothing strikingly out of sync, everything top.🤘😎

Edited by Sessin

Two things mentioned in the old Meteora booklet that the box omits that I am curious if anyone knows the answer to.

- Faint was originally attempted at half the speed and then sped up and the riffs slightly changed to accommodate this. I can tell from the Faint demo that the riffs are slightly different from the final, but was the original slow version released as a different song?

- Figure 09 was tried with sung verses in between the rapped demo we have and the final album version. I am curious to know whether this version is actually in their vaults or if it was simply an idea that never got recorded.

Here are things I noticed in Work In Progress DVD:

- an extended recording of Resolution known as The Wizard Song

- an extended recording of Lost known as Thoughts That Take Away My Pride (It sounds fucking awesome and you can hear more in this famous clip. Definitely needs to be released in future. It's shame we haven't got it in M20.)

- an extended recording of Shortcut the demo of known as Fighting Myself. (For a few seconds you can hear Fighting Myself demo with raw guitars in it's beauty. This demo also deserves to be released.)

- an early version of Program titled Cumulus (We never heard this version and probably this early version was called Cumulus originaly. Or they just misslabeled it in video.)

And 2 unreleased demos! Both appears twice in the video.

- first one sounds like beat but after knowing that Lost's verse sounded also like a beat, I believe it's an unreleased demo and we just hear the begining of it. That's why it sounds like a beat.

- the second unreleased demo sounds like Cuidado, Shortcut, Fiends or Wesside. It has similar style. I really want to hear this demo in it's full beauty. Hopefuly we get this one too.

7 minutes ago, rasb said:

Two things mentioned in the old Meteora booklet that the box omits that I am curious if anyone knows the answer to.

- Faint was originally attempted at half the speed and then sped up and the riffs slightly changed to accommodate this. I can tell from the Faint demo that the riffs are slightly different from the final, but was the original slow version released as a different song?

- Figure 09 was tried with sung verses in between the rapped demo we have and the final album version. I am curious to know whether this version is actually in their vaults or if it was simply an idea that never got recorded.

Both of these things are still mentioned in the liner notes. They weren't omitted.

8 minutes ago, leftshoe18 said:

Both of these things are still mentioned in the liner notes. They weren't omitted.

I mean those versions of the songs aren't included on the actual box.

2 hours ago, rasb said:

I mean those versions of the songs aren't included on the actual box.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

Yeah that makes sense. My bad. lol

43 minutes ago, Awalkinthelinkinpark said:

Gatekeep much? 

That is the exact opposite of gatekeeping. lol

Edited by leftshoe18

54 minutes ago, Mohnjorrow said:

I know we can't share links but does anyone know where I can look for the concerts from the M20 DVDs?  Or where I can purchase them outside of the box set?

1. You'll have to wait to someone to upload to YouTube without being taken down.

2. It's not possible, they're exclusive to the boxset :(

1 hour ago, Mohnjorrow said:

I know we can't share links but does anyone know where I can look for the concerts from the M20 DVDs?  Or where I can purchase them outside of the box set?

Manila and Veterans Stadium are on YouTube 

Thoughts on the Lost demos:

the famous 4 “new” songs with Chester on vocals are AMAZING, More the victim being probably my favorite, a bit more unique than the others but all of them are great. Massive is amazing wish it was completed, instrumentally is freaking insane, that bridge. 
Husky is cool, I kinda like the vibe of the verses a bit more than HTF. Cool to have it, same for Plaster 2, the solo is so cool. 
A6 is cool with finally some vocals, but it was a little bit a let down because we all expected the “just track it out, remember” . It’s nice. 
I love Cuidado, so raw and gritty, it misses the carnival sample but i love this instrumental. 
I don’t see myself coming back to interrogation and faint, nice demos but kinda what I expected, nothing that freaks me out. I like the piano on Interrogation a lot and the extended riff In Faint. 
Shifter is the weirdest LP demo ever, love how it is totally different from the final version vocally, sounds like Staind at times 😂 

Wesside is cool, except for the Meteora like typical riff the rest sounds nothing like nu metal LP (almost ATS ish) and I love that. Only issue I have is that it’s a bit too long for my taste for being an instrumental. 
Resolution: cool to have a more complete version of Wizard song, but I am not a big fan of Mike’s Xero rap style here. Nice but not something I will listen to very often. 
All in all, solid release ! It’s like a double LPU and maybe the best one we ever got. 

5 hours ago, Mohnjorrow said:

They are only for sale in the box set.

On 4/8/2023 at 1:53 PM, Sessin said:

It was edited just for the Twitter clip. On the DVD it is Mike and Chester until the end of the song until you see Rob at the very end. So, no errors. They just put a clip on Twitter edited to promote it.