Linkin Park's Old Band Computer

LPLStaff

It looks like it's time to start the #HybridTheory20 celebration!

Linkin Park's official website has been updated.... or rather, taken BACK to a 2000 version! The original website intro is hidden as a teaser in the Sasquatch Browser and it looks like there's a LOT yet to come!

Check the readme.txt file and you'll see a message from Mike asking for help from fans. Let's get going!

"READ THIS BEFORE YOU DELETE ANYTHING

Hey here's some more info on what I need your help with on this thing.

I just booted it up for the first time in like 20 years and it's a mess. I'm having a hard time locating the files we need for that thing I told you about, can you help me dig through it and find anything we could use?

Places to start:

1. I tried getting this thing to connect to my old server but no luck, maybe you can figure it out.

2. I think my old email account is still set up on this, maybe a few of them are in there?

3. I have no idea what the passwords are for most of this stuff, I'll keep digging on my end but there's a chance they might just be gone.

GOOD LUCK, YOU'LL NEED IT -m"

Check the MShinoda Music Server and you'll see some files!

[Update]: August 9, 2020 with four more songs!

SONG TITLES on LinkinPark.com:

01. Dialate - Completely unknown/unheard song. Unknown if Mark or Chester sings the song.

02. PB (Edit) - Could be the legendary song "Pictureboard" which is unreleased, but teased by Mike several times dating back many years.

03. She Couldn't - Demo leaked by LPLive in July 2009, never officially released. Version leaked has static on the end of the song, a release on Hybrid Theory 20 would be a huge quality upgrade.

04. Could Have Been - Completely unknown/unheard song. Unknown if Mark or Chester sings the song.
05. Reading My Eyes - Xero song from 1996 on the 4 track cassette demo. Could be a re-recorded studio version with Mark from 1998, or a Chester audition version. Unknown if Mark or Chester sings this song.
06. Rhinestone - "Forgotten" demo. Xero song from 1996 on the 4 track cassette demo. Could be a re-recorded studio version with Mark from 1998 (leaked in 2019), a Chester audition version, or a Chester studio version (previously released). Unknown if Mark or Chester sings this song.

07. Esaul  - Xero song from 1996, turned into "A Place For My Head" eventually. Could be a re-recorded studio version with Mark from 1998, a Chester audition version, or a Chester studio version (previously released). Unknown if Mark or Chester sings this song.
08. Stick N Move - "Runaway" demoXero song from 1996 on the 4 track cassette demo. Could be a re-recorded studio version with Mark from 1998, or a Chester audition version. This song was not re-recorded with Chester in a studio version after he joined the band. Unknown if Mark or Chester sings this song.
09. Carousel - Since it isn't grouped with other Hybrid Theory EP songs, this is likely a demo from the Hybrid Theory demo CDs (7 track, 8 track, 9 track). Could possibly be unreleased.

10. Points Of Authority - Unknown if this is a demo on one of the Hybrid Theory demo CDs or is unreleased.

11. Crawling - Unknown if this is a demo on one of the Hybrid Theory demo CDs or is unreleased.

12. Super Xero - "By Myself" demo. Unknown if this is a demo on one of the Hybrid Theory demo CDs or is unreleased.

Wow! This is already shaping up to be huge!

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

Check the MShinoda Music Server and you'll see some files!

05_Reading_My_Eyes_4424_20.wav
06_Rhinestone_Mix_4424_20.wav

07_Esaul_4424_22_20.wav
08_Stick_N_Move_demo_4424_20.wav

Wait what????
Okay already found the "MShinoda Music Server" but the files are "corrupted"

Edited by Diaux

14 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

05_Reading_My_Eyes_4424_20.wav
06_Rhinestone_Mix_4424_20.wav

07_Esaul_4424_22_20.wav
08_Stick_N_Move_demo_4424_20.wav

I wonder if Fuse will be included.

Edited by KlaytonShinoda

Just took a quick look and I don't think there is much we can do and it seems to be time gated content.

There are ids used that make it sound like it will be daily updated (there is an id that is called "modal-window-networkday1" for example).

Will keep digging further though and see if there is more to it.

Just now, SoldierLP13 said:

https://imgur.com/RMDAxax

I guess something is happening in 6 months and there will be a countdown in minutes? 

That's just setting the cookie the website stores to expire in 6 months. In general the only files you have to take a look at are the ones that are served from the linkinpark.com domain directly (they all have a name like "custom_js_12....").

Edited by Coizu

I had a look at custom_js_30.js which contains the code for the password box. If I'm not mistaken, the password has to be equal to a variable called itemnew. itemnew gets its value from $('.day3-nuo').text()

Edited by tnitram

Just now, tnitram said:

I had a look at custom_js_30 which contains the code for the password box. If I'm not mistaken, the password has to be equal to a variable called itemnew. itemnew gets its value from $('.day3-nuo').text()

For clarification for people who are not familiar with that stuff: That basically reads out the text that is placed somewhere in the HTML code of the website (some element with 'class="day3-nuo"') and then compares whatever you entered with it. That element is not there yet so there is no way to enter the correct password. The same goes for the content that would pop up if you enter the correct password: it is also not present. The class name starting with day3 also strongly suggests that it is indeed time gated.

9 minutes ago, deanowardust said:

my guess would be there's something hidden in the pictures in the bin. try playing around with them in an editor

I already try upscale them and it didn't work also i played with the brightness and saturation and nothing came out of it

Edited by Diaux

The warm theme is pretty interesting. A lot of this graphic design feels like old school Frank Maddocks stuff. My early speculations are that Mike's reg key is going to be potentially important in the future and that Solitaire could be trying to tease something, seeing as how it doesn't seem to work (unless I'm doing something wrong?). That's a number-letter combo - potential password?

Throwing this stuff out in case any of it actually takes in the future. Doesn't seem like a lot is actually available yet.

The first picture in the trash seems to say "4-Song EP" and we have four songs in the server. Wonder if that's the first music we'll get from the 20th and those are connected. Also, names of the file are the same as when we found them on Mike's desktop. I'm wondering if that's either a long con on Mike's part or that situation inspired this.

Edited by letdownagain

So I have a very good idea of what will happen next:

On day 3 we will get the password. Once you enter it, the screen will look like this:

lmS9bTy.jpg

In addition it will add two items to the "Documents" menu in the Start menu:

* For Review: there are indicators that these will be the 4 tracks

* Image Approvals: I assume some unreleased artwork or photos or something like that

The IDs for the content that is loaded are already there but when you try to load the data from the server it will return nothing. So we have to wait until they are unlocked server side.