Linkin Park's Old Band Computer

LPLStaff

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, letdownagain said:

names of the file are the same as when we found them on Mike's desktop

Yep, totally related to that incident. I see it as a joke, even the folder name to be uncovered is "Masters to Review", which if i remember correctly was the name of the folder on Mike's computer.

8 minutes ago, Coizu said:

So I have a very good idea of what will happen next:

On day 3 we will get the password. Once you enter it, the screen will look like this:

lmS9bTy.jpg

In addition it will add two items to the "Documents" menu in the Start menu:

* For Review: there are indicators that these will be the 4 tracks

* Image Approvals: I assume some unreleased artwork or photos or something like that

The IDs for the content that is loaded are already there but when you try to load the data from the server it will return nothing. So we have to wait until they are unlocked server side.

So we have to wait until monday? Or today counts as day 1?

1 minute ago, jopevc said:

So we have to wait until monday? Or today counts as day 1?

A lot of stuff that is already present is annotated with "day1" so I assume that today counts as day 1 which means day 3 is Sunday.

Having something big on a Sunday would also make most sense from a marketing point of view I guess.

Speaking of things that are annotated with "day1". The following areas are marked with day1 so I assume they will change over time:

* Network settings

* System Properties

* Defragger

Also about the emails: In general there is a system in place for loading all the different parts from the server once you click something. There is a dedicated system that is very similar to that for emails, so I would assume emails will also appear in the mail client over time.

Just now, Coizu said:

emails will also appear in the mail client over time.

i'm very excited for the e-mails. 
I imagine a lot of stuff will be released through that... not only reading messages, but attached files and such. Like the rejected cover versions for HT (band) that are in the trash bin.

8 minutes ago, vinifeijo said:

Yep, totally related to that incident. I see it as a joke, even the folder name to be uncovered is "Masters to Review", which if i remember correctly was the name of the folder on Mike's computer.

What I meant was that I wonder if that was an actual accident and Mike is riffing off of it now, or Mike knew then that this was the rollout for the 20th and that was kind of the first tease of what was to come. If so, if there's anything in the livestream that could provide answers. But it's more likely the first.

Coizu's theory of how the thing works seems like it makes the most sense it and it might be more straightforward than I'm suggesting. My Catalyst single/Nine Inch Nails Year Zero/ARG brain is on, so I'm like pointing out and poking at things that feel potentially relevant.

Just now, letdownagain said:

Coizu's theory of how the thing works seems like it makes the most sense it and it might be more straightforward than I'm suggesting. My Catalyst single/Nine Inch Nails Year Zero/ARG brain is on, so I'm like pointing out and poking at things that feel potentially relevant.

I am just digging in to the code. There is a possibility there is also something in the images, but I can rule out the password.

4 minutes ago, Coizu said:

A lot of stuff that is already present is annotated with "day1" so I assume that today counts as day 1 which means day 3 is Sunday.

Having something big on a Sunday would also make most sense from a marketing point of view I guess.

Speaking of things that are annotated with "day1". The following areas are marked with day1 so I assume they will change over time:

* Network settings

* System Properties

* Defragger

Also about the emails: In general there is a system in place for loading all the different parts from the server once you click something. There is a dedicated system that is very similar to that for emails, so I would assume emails will also appear in the mail client over time.

Well, let´s wait untill Sunday and see if something happens

1 minute ago, letdownagain said:

was an actual acciden

i really think it was accidental... because it spoiled PICTUREBOARD and 2 new unheard demos.
That was simply too much for an intentional reveal.

The most recent ARGS were uncovered too fast... like the TwentyOnePilots one... resolved 1 week earlier than it was supposed to be.
So it's very smart to keep things blocked until the day they are intended to be seen.

Edited by vinifeijo
adding things

26 minutes ago, vinifeijo said:

The most recent ARGS were uncovered too fast... like the TwentyOnePilots one... resolved 1 week earlier than it was supposed to be.
So it's very smart to keep things blocked until the day they are intended to be seen.

Adam has done enough of these with us by now to know not to upload everything before it's meant to be seen.

I didn't check the code, but I think things might happen in the order of the steps in the "readme.txt":

Day 1 - Server

Day 2 - Mail

Day 3 - Password

The Defragger isn't doing anything at the moment as far as I can tell. It was supposed to work on Day 1, right? Maybe we're not on Day 1 yet?

3 minutes ago, vinifeijo said:

no way to fool the time gating?

i remember once we could just change the computer's date and things would be updated.

No, because the important data comes from the backend a.k.a the code from the server. The only code we check it out is from the front-end, which is basically html, stylesheets and logic to show the real information. 

Edited by Capacity
typo

I hope that they designed it very smart. I don't like stuff like this to be revealed before they're supposed to. We probably should wait and see what pops up in upcoming days. If it was there, we'd probably figured it out by now. But anyway, I'm so hyped for this!

Purely speculation on my part while we wait, but does anyone else think that the "Alt-2" and "Art-3" artwork could be mock ups for an official release of the 8-song demo?

In regards to "Alt-3", everything is blurry, but I feel like the first track might be "untitled" (everything stylized in lowercase). It feels like that tracklist matches what could possibly be there (if track two is "super xero,” as two words, and not "superxero"). The last track looks like it could easily be "and one." Where "points and authority" and "part of me" are look a little off, but the rest I think could check out.

Then with "Alt-2," if those heavier black blocks are track numbers, that could match, too. Four songs per row, which is harder to see on top, but on the bottom that could easily be "she couldn't" (notice the word break), "carousel," "part of me," and "and one."

I feel like we might get a four song EP and an eight track "album" of remastered demos, packaged as "Hybrid Theory" (the band) releases. Wether or not that’s just for the website, for a digital release, or that gets replicated in a physical package later in the year. It doesn't explain the parental advisory label, but notice it's on one but missing from the other. Feel enough like being a rock band at that point in history alone could warrant it.

Edited by letdownagain

5 hours ago, Coizu said:

For clarification for people who are not familiar with that stuff: That basically reads out the text that is placed somewhere in the HTML code of the website (some element with 'class="day3-nuo"') and then compares whatever you entered with it. That element is not there yet so there is no way to enter the correct password. The same goes for the content that would pop up if you enter the correct password: it is also not present. The class name starting with day3 also strongly suggests that it is indeed time gated.

So the current password field is basically gonna be invisibly changed to become active? That's a pretty crazy step to make sure no one types in the correct password lol. It must be something hard to guess, otherwise people would be guessing it now, getting it wrong, and then confused to find out why it works on Day 3. Which makes me wonder why they're going through the step you describe.

Technically, we could use something like burpsuite to manually send a value for "day3-nuo" and start getting a response right? Although if there are other time variables in there that keep it from loading what it should it might not work. But we can definitely inject that password even if the current password field is dead I'd think (this is starting to get into straight up penetration testing stuff lol). 

Edited by YRQRM0

37 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

So the current password field is basically gonna be invisibly changed to become active? That's a pretty crazy step to make sure no one types in the correct password lol. It must be something hard to guess, otherwise people would be guessing it now, getting it wrong, and then confused to find out why it works on Day 3. Which makes me wonder why they're going through the step you describe.

Technically, we could use something like burpsuite to manually send a value for "day3-nuo" and start getting a response right? Although if there are other time variables in there that keep it from loading what it should it might not work. But we can definitely inject that password even if the current password field is dead I'd think (this is starting to get into straight up penetration testing stuff lol). 

You can't guess the password right now because how the code works right now, it can never actually pass (it will only start working as soon as the password actually appears on the website). But even if you could get the code to pass, the only thing that shows up is the success message and it adds the two menu items. The actual content is coming from the server but it is still locked there so there is no way of getting it right now (the requests to the server are done without the password, so it won't matter for actually getting the content)

22 minutes ago, Coizu said:

You can't guess the password right now because how the code works right now, it can never actually pass (it will only start working as soon as the password actually appears on the website). But even if you could get the code to pass, the only thing that shows up is the success message and it adds the two menu items. The actual content is coming from the server but it is still locked there so there is no way of getting it right now (the requests to the server are done without the password, so it won't matter for actually getting the content)

Well, Adam just confirmed on twitter that there is a real password when asked "is there a real password or do we have to wait". So I'm guessing that it's something really hard, and that we'll need the hints that are to be released by the day to get it. And that they just happened to make the password acceptance work later as well. 

2 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

Well, Adam just confirmed on twitter that there is a real password when asked "is there a real password or do we have to wait". So I'm guessing that it's something really hard, and that we'll need the hints that are to be released by the day to get it. And that they just happened to make the password acceptance work later as well. 

Probably a silly thought, but if we have to change the username? It has "admin" on it, but could be another name or word.

3 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

Eventually there will be password, so technically he is not saying something wrong.

Maybe I am wrong, but I personally stopped looking into it because I am 100% sure we can't get further today.

1 minute ago, kiq fLP said:

Probably a silly thought, but if we have to change the username? It has "admin" on it, but could be another name or word.

Yeah if the username is also supposed to be something else, that's gonna make it a lot harder. We'll see. 

1 minute ago, Coizu said:

Eventually there will be password, so technically he is not saying something wrong.

Maybe I am wrong, but I personally stopped looking into it because I am 100% sure we can't get further today.

I don't doubt you. I wonder if Adam realizes that the password is literally impossible to get today though, versus just being sure that we most likely won't get it for a few days because it's something impossible to guess and implemented in a way that we won't get to type it until then.