Rest In Peace, Chester Bennington

RogueSoul

I'm speechless. it's like someone had stabbed my heart. It hurts so much, because I know an important part of my life dissapears forever. The band has been next to me growing up , sharing with me my best moments and the worst is going to end somehow. It's tough to explain it right now. At least I had the opportunity of seeing him live once, the best concert of my life.

Edited by Capacity

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has really been hard to accept and endure losing Chester. Its true that probably I drifted apart from the band a little bit, but they always had an special place to me as the first band I was truly a fan of. Chester was a gigantic part of that, and even though we always had glimpses of how troubled he was at certain parts of life, it never crossed my mind that we would lose him this way. It's specially frustrating considering how next to Chris Cornell's suicide this was.

I lost probably my favorite 2 artists ever in a few weeks, and I don't know what could fill that void... But that said, It really saddens me more for all the people who were close to them, family, friends, bandmates, and even all those fans who probably are even more dependant to their music.

Yesterday many friends of mine called as soon as the news popped up and were concerned if I were alright. So did I for some of my fellow friends. I got to launch with one of them and try to get some confort with the company. I Know I haven't been the most active member whatsoever, but I really hope this community sticks together and support each other and whoever in need during this difficult time.

Rest in peace, Chester. Thanks you for so much, for everything you gave us.

I've got a lot to say and I just can't come up with the words yet.

I'm sorry to everyone in this community that I've ever been an insufferable prick to. I can't forgive myself for the negativity I know I've helped breed at times. I know that probably isn't responsible for how Chester was feeling, and yet...

We all feel that way, I know that I do. But this is a forum where we've been expressing our opinions-- many times on a whim. If you love something so much, you'll have strong feelings for it one way or another. The 2003-2007 era of LP will always be a really special place for me. Even though that could never be topped for me personally, they always had tracks that felt relatable to life and helped me through the everyday unpleasantness that life brings.

I couldn't sleep last night. My mind was not wanting to accept yesterday was reality. I woke up hoping everything would go back to how it was and that I'd get more opportunities to have the band continue to be the soundtrack to my life. A really tragic ending. The finality of it knowing that there won't be anymore of Chester's music, concerts, videos, appearances, etc., makes it too surreal. Fuck, this hurts.

You said it all, man. I couldn't sleep at all last night... not many people in my life understand the pain that I've been in since I got the news.

With that being said, having this site to come to where we can all share our feelings with people who truly understand them... through this tragedy that has been a very beautiful and very helpful thing. The Linkin Park Live community is truly a family, and seeing everyone being so understanding and supportive of one another is just another example that illustrates that. I love all of you guys.

Hopefully, some of my closest friends pick me up for lunch today. I'm sincerely glad they understand what I'm going through today. What we are going through today.

Missing the life we had yesterday morning, here in Portugal. Just... Missing it every second.

Rest in peace Dear Chester! It was nearly 3 weeks ago when we've met, I'll always miss you....

I'd never imagine a LP member would end like this.

I was really shocked, I was shaking, when my FB wall was full of news about his death, I couldn't believe it until Mike comfirmed it.

I can't get the muffled "I do" scream from OML out of my head since I woke up and have been feeling this strange guilt over the last few hours, playing out strange scenarios in my head. I'm still in disbelief, and hope that it's just a bad dream.

I have such a heavy heart today. I have been a part of this community for so long, but my LP story goes back even further. I was pregnant with my first baby when I discovered LP, and I remember so clearly how much she would kick me whenever they were playing on the radio or tv. She will be 16 in less than 2 weeks, and they formed the soundtrack of her life. I didn't get to see them live until Summer Sanitarium in 2003, and Chester, with one statement, made me appreciate them so much more than I already did. He said that women have as much right as men to be in the pit without being violated. From that first show to my last show, in 2014, when things came full circle for us, and I brought my daughter to see them for the first time.

Yesterday my phone blew up while her and I were out running errands, and I wanted to wait til we were home before I told her. We were in Verizon getting a new phone for my sister, and I felt this tap on my shoulder. I turned around to find my daughter, with this look on her face, and her phone held up. She said "Mom, I need you to look something up for me.... I just saw something that said Chester died." My heart dropped, I had just read Derek's (from LPA) message that confirmed the stories were true. I just nodded and told her Derek had confirmed it. I have never seen my child look so distraught. LP was something that has been a constant in our home her entire life, and she knows the band as well as I do, and appreciates them just as much. We were looking so forward to seeing them again and again together, and now that is just gone.

I am beyond saddened. I only hope that Chester is at peace now, and that he has escaped his demons. Mental illness is something that is so overlooked and stigmatized, and it costs so many lives because there isn't enough help for those that most desperately need it.

Rest in Peace Chester.

I had a really bad week. Thursday night I wanted to listen to LP to get myself together and now that...Suddenly I felt so alone and vulnerable. It's kind of weird, cause I never knew Chester, but somehow....

Edited by Blackfugl

Posted this video clip I recorded of "Heavy" from the Vegas OML release show on my instagram last night after I got home from a long day just broke down.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWzA5jeFZPh/

I still can't believe it, I truly feel like I've lost a real good friend. This is just so fucked. I wish I knew this would be the very last time I got to see you perform. Celebrity deaths don't really get to me but fuck. There were so many days and nights I'm just alone in my room fucking hating everything about me and for whatever reason I told myself "you got this dude, things will be better" and I'd put my headphones on, listen to this band for fucking hours and feel like I'm not the only one on this planet feeling like this. I told myself to just keep living because there's always going to be a new album coming out. And now fuck it's just gone, 7 albums and that's it, each one a soundtrack to a period of my life. I can't even measure how much this band has meant to me. I mean fuck I became a graphic designer because I loved the Hybrid Theory album cover that much. I met my first girlfriend in the fucking Linkin Park Underground chat room. RIP Chester Bennington, I never got to meet you but fuck did you truly change my life. I really hope you finally found peace. #linkinpark #heavy#chesterbennington

Stay strong fam.

Edited by iamsatan

First post I'm making about this, but to put it simply, I'm struggling, Chester was my hero, he literally saved my life that night in August of 2014, and being diagnosed with several mental and physical health issues is not fun, but LP and Chester especially were always there when I needed them the most, I can't believe, my idol, hero, and savior is gone! I've been at my friends house all day, and I don't trust myself alone, when my friends heard the news I received an outpouring of support, probably the only thing that's keeping me from joining him... I will miss you Chester!!!

It's devastating. It hit me really hard yesterday, but today it's even harder. I can't believe that we won't hear Chester's voice anymore.

I'm not going to write a long post, nor do I have strength to do so.

I just wanna thank him for being part of my life, for writing a songs that inspired me to pick up a guitar, and helped me through many rough times in my life.

Rest In Peace, Chester.

Edited by SwirKH

Chester, I miss you too much. You save me. Thank you for the everything.

ショックで胸が痛い。信じられない。信じたくない。私を支えてくれたのにもうどこにもいないなんて。救ってくれてありがとう。今はまだ辛すぎる。

Damn, this sucks so bad. I was never one for idol worship but i'd be lying if I said Chester wasn't a hero for me. I'd always fantasize about what musical ideas he had floating in his head and no matter how many other bands I've gotten into since listening to LP, I would always would look forward to a new LP album cycle. It became a lifelong tradition for me. I'm actually tearing up a little typing this because I don't know if i'll ever feel this way about a band or a musician ever again. My connection with them was truly one of a kind. They've been with me through all the milestones of my life. I've grown up right along side of them and their music matured right along with me. It's almost as if they held my hand and walked with me along this road we call life.

I'm truly going to miss him.

Edited by Hybrid1988

This was so difficult for me because it was like losing a relative is like a nightmare and not a real thing, I grew up listening to LP, the best band world, that made me well with their beautiful songs, lyrics and the energy that I had on stage,

Chester the the best vocal in the world and it will always be in my heart that God will comfort the heart of the band members, the fans and their family, and that the band will not end and our lives have to continue overcoming our misdeeds and that we are strong

I have never felt this bad even two days from the info I am an emotional mess. In hindsight I also feel bad about my comments towards OML. I was one of the many that heavily hated on it and, in gneral I never mince words, because even though "unminced" words hurt badly, when you mince your words to me and tell me after, that hurts me even more. Since my prolems with OML as an album, were mostly related with stuff that chester had to do with (lyrics and vocal delivery), I wouldn't say I feel responsible, but I feel bad about saying what I did, because in hindisight I do know where hes coming from. Like for a lack of a better word, it had to come to this to realize how meaningful the lyrics really are.

Chester. I miss you so much.

10 years ago he was clearly talking about the same bad neighbourhood that inspired Heavy: "stuck in my head again, feels like I'll never leave this place, there's no escape, I'm my own worst enemy". I assume he wrote Given Up based on how he felt before his big recovery. Maybe What I've Done was an optimistic view that he would erase that dark past and become a new man. I don't know, a lot of things seem to fit now, it's crazy.

10 years ago he was clearly talking about the same bad neighbourhood that inspired Heavy: "stuck in my head again, feels like I'll never leave this place, there's no escape, I'm my own worst enemy". I assume he wrote Given Up based on how he felt before his big recovery. Maybe What I've Done was an optimistic view that he would erase that dark past and become a new man. I don't know, a lot of things seem to fit now, it's crazy.

I was just saying that to a friend. In the past even his darker lyrics inspired me, because I looked up to him as someone who went through that and came out alright on the other side. Right now, with the pain still fresh, all of those songs now feel like pieces to a puzzle that when completed, overwhelmed him. It hurts me to even think about it.

I played Leave Out All The Rest and cried my eyes out. I used to see that song as a hypothetical...as a song that wouldn't become literal for another 50 years. Now it feels like the note he didn't leave and it tore me up to listen to it again.

Edited by Justin

I was just saying that to a friend. In the past even his darker lyrics inspired me, because I looked up to him as someone who went through that and came out alright on the other side. Right now, with the pain still fresh, all of those songs now feel like pieces to a puzzle that when completed, overwhelmed him. It hurts me to even think about it.

I played Leave Out All The Rest and cried my eyes out. I used to see that song as a hypothetical...as a song that wouldn't become literal for another 50 years. Now it feels like the note he didn't leave and it tore me up to listen to it again.

Some songs are particularly painful now, One More Light, Leave Out All The Rest, Nobody Can Save Me, The Messenger specially when you think he wrote it to his kids.

Linkin Park's lyrics for a long time were criticized for being "angsty" or "whiny" as if they were just complaining about something petty like "nobody understands me", but now people will realize just how dark and deep their lyrics actually were. Chester's lyrics were cries for help, but everyone ridiculed him and turned them into memes.

And just when we thought his demons were behind him during A Thousand Suns, One More Light really showed how they were still haunting him and never went away. I couldn't stand Heavy when it came out, but now I find it very beautiful and haunting in the wake of this tragic event. Chester was desperately crying for someone to reach out to him and no one cared. They just continued to make fun of him and "meme" him. They only care about him now that it's too late.

Also, I'm absolutely devastated knowing that I'll never get to see them live or meet Chester and tell him what an inspiration he was to me. I looked up to him not just as an incredible musician, but a role model. It kills me that my hero is gone and no one reached out to him when he needed them.