Linkin Park Debuts "Heavy" (feat. Kiiara)

hahninator

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiiara doesn't have a huge fan base, she's a small artist.

61 million views for an artist who has never even released a full-length album says otherwise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO9cBXRcBvo

What drives me crazy is the fact that people calling them out for throwing away their real drums and their guitar but instead using these electronical drums. Like seriously, as if LP never used these E-Drums and almost no guitar before. But now they are getting hated for that, and these people now praise ATS as a masterpiece. I respect these opinons saying that they don't like this song and it is too poppy, but I think that with every opinion there should be some deep and good arguments.

I believe that the main problem is the big contrast between THP and this song/album. If LP released Heavy right after Living Things, people would say that LP was on the way to make this poppy stuff and you could foresee the direction they will take.

Also the interviews they did 3 years ago might be a big key for the hate they get.

There's also the fact that there's guitar from the second verse onwards in Heavy, and the live drums come in with the second chorus.

Edited by Astat

If HT is a 9 or 10, Meteora is a 10, MTM is a 9 or 10, ATS is an 8 or 9, then LT and THP are both in the 6-7 range for me. They need to redeem themselves.

I agree with that, and with the way Heavy is sounding, it's looking like LP aren't really going to do it. I've seen other people saying it's grown on them after a few listens, but I've given it 5-6 listens now and it's just really not for me, I still really don't like it. It's made even worse cause I know I'm going to be listening to this song non-stop on the radio this summer.

saying you dislike or hate the song doesn't mean all of a sudden your a terrible person and stupid and ignorant because you only like certain albums and not this particular single?

in all honesty, it IS a bad song, and theres more than just one reason

"Bad" is a very subjective description

I don't even remember Burn It Down getting this much hate for being "pop garbage". I wonder what makes it different.

I think the fact that BID wasn't as generic was the biggest difference. The vocal performance seemed to be better and more challanging, it had some rock guitars, it couldn't be fittet within a single "box", it didn't feature anybody outside of LP, it was released after ATS (while Heavy was released after a heavy (pun intended) album, THP) and it had a rap verse.

You're REALLY grasping at straws when you're citing 14-year old interviews given at a time when someone was heavily abusing alcohol and essentially stoned 24/7 as something someone should be held to in the present day. What's next, you're going to call Chester a liar for not having a mullet because he said "I wanna grow a mullet" on stage one time? :lol:

Also, Chester had the good fortune of not having to deal with many annoying fans in 2003, because the fans they had at the time were fans of a band that had, with the exception of Breaking the Habit, only ever released music that fell into one particular genre on their studio albums. People pretty much either liked the "Linkin Park sound" in 2003 or they didn't, because at that point they were a band that could be identified by a particular sound. There was no "LOL THIS ISN'T HYBRID THEORY U SUCK" crap coming from people claiming to be fans who hadn't had anything positive to say about the band in nearly a decade at that point.

You're actually right, Astat, I was wrong for saying that. It's been a long time since Meteora and that was a period of Chester's life that was crazy for him. I was also out of line saying is he back on drugs, etc. But you made a good point and even though I don't want to, I have to agree. Linkin Park have been making different music since Meteora and it's nothing new. Back then, they really only had one ''sound''. And MTM and LT are my favorite albums so I'm not sure why I was so against this new album. I'm not anymore.

If HT is a 9 or 10, Meteora is a 10, MTM is a 9 or 10, ATS is an 8 or 9, then LT and THP are both in the 6-7 range for me. They need to redeem themselves.

MTM and LT have always been my favorite albums by Linkin Park and I'm starting to think this new album is kind of like a mix of the two. You have the emotional lyrics and stuff from MTM and the sound of LT in a sense. Of course the new album will have it's own unique sound and stuff too. But I was too harsh on it upon first hearing about it all, as well as Heavy. I think actually in 2014, I was bashing the heavy side of the band, saying I wanted slower music like MTM and LT. So my opinion has always changed drastically and it's admittedly kind of silly from me. I would rank the albums like this for me personally. MTM, LT, M, ATS, HT, THP.

What surprises me is that we still have the "RIP LINKIN PARK" brigade after all this time. I thought they'd all jumped ship after ATS. I don't even remember Burn It Down getting this much hate for being "pop garbage". I wonder what makes it different.

This song is getting more attention because of Kiiara being featured.

Other than that I don't know. BID did have a heavier (no pun intended) sound and a rap verse from Mike, but it's definitely in pop territory.

Also in reference to ATS, I'll never understand all the hate that album receives. ATS is a damn good album.

Exactly good points. I guess LP can't please everyone there will always be haters, had they kept on releasing music for the last 15 years or so which sounded like HT I'm pretty sure there would be people complaining about them making the same music.

Guys i found a review/reaction of the song on youtube where the guy says that he doesn' t like it because it' s too simple and poorly written and later he says that LT is his favourite LP album ... I mean, everything is subjective but no effing way this song is worse than LGM or Victimized or STB lyrically or in terms of sound... I mean, it' s basically Powerless + Kiiara ...

Guys i found a review/reaction of the song on youtube where the guy says that he doesn' t like it because it' s too simple and poorly written and later he says that LT is his favourite LP album ... I mean, everything is subjective but no effing way this song is worse than LGM or Victimized or STB lyrically or in terms of sound... I mean, it' s basically Powerless + Kiiara ...

"Powerless" is the only reason i didn't delete LT from my HDD.it's much much much better than "heavy"

Okay i agree it' s better but you can' t deny that Heavy could fit on LT easily.

Exactly good points. I guess LP can't please everyone there will always be haters, had they kept on releasing music for the last 15 years or so which sounded like HT I'm pretty sure there would be people complaining about them making the same music.

If they kept releasing stuff like HT they'd probably be totally irrelevant now like Korn, changing kept them alive and interesting, even if it s obvious that, as you said, they can't please everyone.

If they kept releasing stuff like HT they'd probably be totally irrelevant now like Korn

Hey Korn manages spikes in popularity every now and then! See You On The Other Side and The Path of Totality spring to mind.

But I absolutely agree that LP would've faded to relative obscurity if they had never evolved past the nu-metal sound. Bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn, etc still have a dedicated fanbase but are virtually nonexistent in popular music.

Hey Korn manages spikes in popularity every now and then! See You On The Other Side and The Path of Totality spring to mind.

But I absolutely agree that LP would've faded to relative obscurity if they had never evolved past the nu-metal sound. Bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn, etc still have a dedicated fanbase but are virtually nonexistent in popular music.

Yes consider that THP has been more successful in terms of sales, charts, critics reviews etc.. than every album that these bands put out in the last decade...

Okay i agree it' s better but you can' t deny that Heavy could fit on LT easily.

If they kept releasing stuff like HT they'd probably be totally irrelevant now like Korn, changing kept them alive and interesting, even if it s obvious that, as you said, they can't please everyone.

Yep agree.

Anyway 7,6 million views on yt and 4 million streams on spotify is really good isn't it? I don't get why a lot of LP fans in Italy say the Foos and Muse are bigger than LP... I mean LP is now the 97th most played artist worldwide on Spotify and muse is like 320th and Foos are circa 200th...

Anyway 7,6 million views on yt and 4 million streams on spotify is really good isn't it? I don't get why a lot of LP fans in Italy say the Foos and Muse are bigger than LP... I mean LP is now the 97th most played artist worldwide on Spotify and muse is like 320th and Foos are circa 200th...

Because Foos and Muse sell more albums in Italy than LP? Most of those plays on Spotify are probably from people listening to the first 2 albums, hell, 60% of the plays on LP's top 10 Spotify tracks are from the first 2 albums and Collision Course.

Foos are no way bigger than LP in Italy ... But Muse are bigger in terms of stadium filling and became more poular in Italy because THP and ATS in Italy sold less than 2nd Law and Drones in my country

It s weird to be a fan of LP in Italy nowadays because some people treat you ad If you were a fan of an underground band like ... IDK I Prevail

That's not how math works

The song has 199k likes and 79k dislikes

I'm pretty sure you know what I mean.The ratio likes-dislikes is highest since A Thousand Suns (comparing youtube oficial lyrics videos with 1st singles from their new album)