Linkin Park Debuts "Heavy" (feat. Kiiara)

hahninator

Song is really catchy. I really like the lyrics and the instrumental while it's not amazing, it sounds good and has really good production. I like Rob's drums in the bridge and Brad's guitar at the end is pretty cool. The no introduction is just a mainstream pop thing unfortunately. While I like the song, I don't want a whole album of Heavy. That would suck. I would still like the album but it would definitely go down as my least favorite. So I hope that there is more energy in some of the other songs.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Song is really catchy. I really like the lyrics and the instrumental while it's not amazing, it sounds good and has really good production. I like Rob's drums in the bridge and Brad's guitar at the end is pretty cool. The no introduction is just a mainstream pop thing unfortunately. While I like the song, I don't want a whole album of Heavy. That would suck. I would still like the album but it would definitely go down as my least favorite. So I hope that there is more energy in some of the other songs.

I agree...

Wow this is a great point. He absolutely destroyed this in 2014.

yes, he did. I find it a little weird that they'd do a 180 on it. but whatever, it's not the end of the world

It's funny how Mike says Heavy bears the core sound of the record and then a few hours later he says there are many different genres in it :P Reminds me of an interview where he said A thousand suns is not a political album, and I'm just like "oookay gonna pretend that's true"

I was reading a comment on a different site earlier, and I do think Mike is being a bit unreasonable with the whole "genre is dead" thing. Like, you don't need a justification for making this kind of sound. Just downright say this is what you wanted to do. It's okay to compare works - that's the purpose of genre, to categorize as a means to separate different types of things that allow for comparison. Genre can be deda for sake of listening, but when something is as strikingly poppy as this, call it pop. It's almost like he's afraid of calling it what it is, as if he has something to be ashamed of. Maybe that goes into what Geki said earlier that he was bashing this very music three years ago. I believe the band wouldn't put out something they weren't happy with, regardless of the circumstances. I know it's not the case, but Mike seemingly using that phrase as a scapegoat has been bothering me lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQxweq6AZk

If they didn't made The Hunting Part in back 2014, they've would of made One More Light back then. I feel like this (pop music influence) was in their system all along.

Too true. Mike was going to 100% make this album back in 2013. I don't know what flipped a switch in him one day but after the LT era this is the music Mike's been truly envisioning. It's absurd.

I was reading a comment on a different site earlier, and I do think Mike is being a bit unreasonable with the whole "genre is dead" thing. Like, you don't need a justification for making this kind of sound. Just downright say this is what you wanted to do. It's okay to compare works - that's the purpose of genre, to categorize as a means to separate different types of things that allow for comparison. Genre can be deda for sake of listening, but when something is as strikingly poppy as this, call it pop. It's almost like he's afraid of calling it what it is, as if he has something to be ashamed of. Maybe that goes into what Geki said earlier that he was bashing this very music three years ago. I believe the band wouldn't put out something they weren't happy with, regardless of the circumstances. I know it's not the case, but Mike seemingly using that phrase as a scapegoat has been bothering me lately.

lol, I've learned to not take mike seriously before an album drops. Homeboy has a track record of saying some contradictory shit.

I don't like it. Seems like a cheesy pop song featuring Chester. Kiiara sounds good for being the only female on an LP album. She should have harmonized with Chester instead of taking over the song. I thought Linkin Park was a rock band... Good thing they aren't my favorite band anymore.

I thought Linkin Park was a rock band...

Linkin Park is Linkin Park.

Not defending Heavy because it's your right to have an opinion and not like the song at all, I'm just saying that LP has said more than once throughout the years that they don't take anyone's expectations about what LP is supposed to sound like into account when making music. If they happen to lose fans along the way, then that's something they're willing to risk. I think Mike even literally said that.

Woah, these guys are pretty savage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq49NHwN1Uc

I remember watching Scuzz interview Chester when THP came out, LP probably won't accept another interview again :D

EDIT: or whatever the meth teeth guy is called. Beez?

Yeah, same interview where Chester said that he got "tingles" when he heard the opening riff for GATS and made him want to write rock songs forever. Just pure bullshit. Thats the worst part of all of this, going back to those interviews and then realizing that they are making the exact same music they wanted to avoid just two years ago. Like WTF?

Yeah, same interview where Chester said that he got "tingles" when he heard the opening riff for GATS and made him want to write rock songs forever. Just pure bullshit. Thats the worst part of all of this, going back to those interviews and then realizing that they are making the exact same music they wanted to avoid just two years ago. Like WTF?

They're making the music they wanted to avoid FOR THEIR PREVIOUS ALBUM.

Linkin Park is Linkin Park.

Not defending Heavy because it's your right to have an opinion and not like the song at all, I'm just saying that LP has said more than once throughout the years that they don't take anyone's expectations about what LP is supposed to sound like into account when making music. If they happen to lose fans along the way, then that's something they're willing to risk. I think Mike even literally said that.

Agreed, I have read so many comments about this song being 'not Linkin Park', while they have said countless times that they don't want to be put into a certain box when it comes to genre. At this point they could turn 180 and release an acoustic polka, folk and country album as next record :lol:

I also don't want a full album of Heavy so I hope it being the core is more theme wise than soundwise. I also hope the rest of the album isn't so radio ready and also has an intro/outro to the songs. They can cut those for radio, but the album itself shouldn't have all under 3 minute songs.

Edited by Jesper

I don't like it. Seems like a cheesy pop song featuring Chester. Kiiara sounds good for being the only female on an LP album. She should have harmonized with Chester instead of taking over the song. I thought Linkin Park was a rock band... Good thing they aren't my favorite band anymore.

It's funny that not long ago in 2015, Mike flat out said Linkin Park is a rock band but they draw influence from other genres such as electronic and hip-hop. At the core they are a rock band and always have been. Anybody who thinks otherwise is an idiot since Mike flat out said so. That's why I hate this new single and album. You could have went ''pop'' and still kept the rock backbone. Don't remember who you are at the end of the day. It's ok to experiment, after all, MTM and LT are my favorite albums. But don't completely abandon yourself for the sake of trying to sell albums or appeal to a 12 year old age group.

It's funny that not long ago in 2015, Mike flat out said Linkin Park is a rock band but they draw influence from other genres such as electronic and hip-hop. At the core they are a rock band and always have been. Anybody who thinks otherwise is an idiot since Mike flat out said so. That's why I hate this new single and album. You could have went ''pop'' and still kept the rock backbone. Don't remember who you are at the end of the day. It's ok to experiment, after all, MTM and LT are my favorite albums. But don't completely abandon yourself for the sake of trying to sell albums or appeal to a 12 year old age group.

That's the only thing that really bugs me. I am not suprised by this change of sound, since this is exactly the change I expected after Living Things. But then we got Mike saying how he wanted to bring rock back and didn't wanted to follow what is hot on radio. Then we got The Hunting Party, which followed that statement. Then I was suprised they worked again with Steve Aoki, because that dance edm thing was still pretty hot, but I didn't mind it as side project. But I just wish they would stop making certain statements in popular media, if they are gonna do the complete opposite in a few years.

That's the only thing that really bugs me. I am not suprised by this change of sound, since this is exactly the change I expected after Living Things. But then we got Mike saying how he wanted to bring rock back and didn't wanted to follow what is hot on radio. Then we got The Hunting Party, which followed that statement. Then I was suprised they worked again with Steve Aoki, because that dance edm thing was still pretty hot, but I didn't mind it as side project. But I just wish they would stop making certain statements in popular media, if they are gonna do the complete opposite in a few years.

I think The Hunting Party failed to bring back rock to the mainstream attention, so that's why he decided to back to eletrcro-pop style.

He did Darker Than Blood, Welcome and Waiting For Tommorrow, so it's pretty predictable.

I wish that the album contains songs less generic even if I like Heavy

Edited by stich

Chester first lines doesn't sound synced at all, something feels very forced there. In general it is a pretty sweet song which can reach high on charts and this is a good thing in my opinion for the long term for the band to keep existing. The intrumental is very cool, I really like the drums. And the other singer has a wonderful voice. I don't "really" care about the lyrics when it comes to mainstream musicians (which Linkin Park is) this shouldn't be poetry anyway. The most important thing is to listen to the song as part of the album, with GATS for example a lot people who didn't liked the song at first changed their mind when they heard it as part of the album.

Whoever who didn't like it should take into account that this may be the "poppiest" song on the album, imagine Until It's Gone as the first single from The Hunitng Party. I'm not trying to build any expectation for the ones who disappointed but one song doesn't mean the entire album sounds exactly the same. We're talking about Linkin Park after all.

I think The Hunting Party failed to bring back rock to the mainstream attention, so that's why he decided to back to eletrcro-pop style.

He did Darker Than Blood, Welcome and Waiting For Tommorrow, so it's pretty predictable.

I mean I get the reasoning and I am not mad about the change. But it felt a bit odd to see especially Mike talk about how the landscape was so lackluster, only for them to return poppier than ever. But I def. hope the rest of the album is less generic.

Well, the thing is, The Hunting Party wasn't mainstream rock. They could have made a rock album again this time around but made it appeal to the mainstream and they would have found success, I'm sure of it. Songs like What I've Done or Iridescent or something, those are rock songs but they are slower rock, something the mainstream would like. I just didn't expect a full pop sound, complete with pop artists singing on the songs, etc. Darker Than Blood and Waiting For Tomorrow weren't even Linkin Park songs, just collabs for other artists, btw.

Ok, so apparently nobody mentioned this or I would have known earlier, Chester sings Heavy live normally? Sounds much better than the studio version and it sounds just like the piano versions of Pushing Me Away, My December, Breaking The Habit, etc. that the band has done in the past. Didn't know that. Only piano and vocals, it doesn't really sound poppy. I can dig the live version. I wouldn't mind seeing it at a show. I think a lot of what I didn't like about Heavy studio version was that I hated the vocals and the poppy sounding instrumental to go with it. Here, Chester sings it like he has every other slow LP song. Damn.