Linkin Park Debuts "Heavy" (feat. Kiiara)

hahninator

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a bit torn at the moment. Overall their leadsingles are pretty hit and miss for me. Whether I talk about Burn It Down, The Catalyst or in this case Heavy, they ended up being my least favorite track on their respective albums. I like this, probably grow to love this. But I am almost certain that the actual album will be much better and interesting. But we'll see.

What the hell? Are they seriously doing a "collaboration" with Mercedes for the music video? You can't tell me you don't lose some kind of artistic integrity by selling advertising spots in your music video to a car manufacturer.

I guess the huge success of the GATS video made them realise how awesome partnering up with a random company for a freaking music video is.

Edited by graveguard

Ok, I've had some thoughts. Like people say it's really generic, it wouldn't be out of place on a teenie bopper movie like Twilight. The song seems immature, which is fine for the girl, no idea how old she is or who her demographic is but for 40 year old men? I'm disappointed in their credibility.

I do still quite like it though, nothing wrong with a shit pop tune.

What the hell? Are they seriously doing a "collaboration" with Mercedes for the music video? You can't tell me you don't lose some kind of artistic integrity by selling advertising spots in your music video to a car manufacturer.

I guess the huge success of the GATS video made them realise how awesome partnering up with a random company for a freaking music video is.

I'd be more upset if they didn't whore their names out to a bunch of other pointless shit (I.e. That infinity speaker, project spark, stage light, transformers toys, 3D figures, nendoroids, etc. etc.). I'm a year there will be no mention of it just like the rest of that stuff nobody asked for.

There's nothing wrong with product placement. Like if Chester in the video gets into a car and the camera happens to conveniently swing around to reveal a Mercedes logo. It would be cheesy but I wouldn't really mind as much if it wasn't too distracting. But if the entire video is just a long Mercedes commercial then that would be pretty disappointing.

I like this song very much i dont care if this is mainstream,poppy,soft or wherever it is i really dont care about the genre,if something sounds good to my ears i like it,its so simple,i see on facebook,youtube so many people bitching around "lp rip" "linkin park=backstreet boys" and other same type comments, i know everybody has the right to have and share an opinion but this is so mean right now about the band they dont deserve it so much hate, you dont like the song?you like more heavy stuff?go listen to HT thats absolutely logical and fine but dont make silly excuses to hate the band thats the fact!

Edited by Dimitris1

My thoughts, without reading any other recent responses...

Pros:
-Kiiara really impressed me. Between the preview clip that showed her singing without any post-production on her voice and how good she sounded on the live version today, I was really surprised with how good she sings, considering how auto-tuned her vocals typically are.
-In terms of sound design/production, this song SOUNDS about as good as anything Linkin Park has ever done. The drums kicking in is a big highlight, as is the guitar coming in during the last chorus.
-Chorus is very catchy.

Cons:
-No intro at all guys? On a song that's only 2:50 without one? Just seems lazy.
-Chester doesn't sound good on this at all. He sounds like he's singing while he can't quite clear his throat on all of the softer parts, and the chorus isn't much better. Just seems like this style really isn't suited for his voice.
-As I said on Twitter earlier, good sounds don't necessarily make a good song. It's ultimately an average (at best) pop song with above average production.

I love this song! So much layers when listening to the raw version.

I also love Chester his singing, He sings it in a different way, but the live performance was like a one/one compared to the studio version which I absolutely love cause it makes it pure. I love the power on Kiiara her Chorus cause that one blasts in

No intro synths or something makes it a little bit un linkin park like, But I like that. All those LP songs with a broad intro are worning me out

But apart from the style change, Its the same old Linkin Park to me with the relatively easy lyrics and the catchy chorus tunes that aren't even far away in terms of progression from a numb or everything else, not even the heavily electric A light that never comes.

Listened to it for awhile, Not exactly a Linkin Park fan for some kind of style. Always for their overall creativity.

Only thing I didn't like at first was kiiara but she is growing on me now. I like that addition to the song. And a nice breakthrough to finally have a womans voice!

Edited by Spooky

What's funny is that this song would be just fine if it was Kiiara feat. Linkin Park.

But that's not what it is. I wasn't really sure what to expect because I hadn't paid very much attention, but I certainly didn't expect a straightforward pop track. I don't know how I feel about it. I think, as a song, it's fine. Chester's vocal performance is interesting, but I don't think his voice is suited to the style he's trying out. I think he needs to have a harder edge to his vocals for them to sound good, and this performance is a little too airy.

It's a catchy song, and I think it could gain traction on pop radio, if people get past the idea that it's a Linkin Park song and don't have an automatic "ew the nu-metal band" recoil. Who knows.

The song is growing on me I must say... It'll get rinsed on the radios, lots of views, lots of coverage, LP in the headlines again... I'm still positive for the album, I don't care what Mike says about the rest being similar to Heavy, I still think the album will have more than enough variation to be interesting.

My only complaints are about the no intro thing and that they could have made the bridge have something new. I love the melodies and the emotional vocal delivery, the lyrics are good and hit you in the feelings, and Rob is great in that bridge ending. I'd have the guitar a bit louder at the end, but that's just personal preference. Great song, pretty much a brainworm in a good sense.

Not sure how many of you actually like it or ale blinded fanboys who will like anything they put out.

Sorry, it's crappy. I don't even walk to talk more about it, If the rest of the album sounds similarly, I hope they will only play a track or two (or maybe none) on the following tour.

If not, I might as well just pass the Cracow gig and pick next SOAD show.

Logged in just to say lol to this comment.

Not everyone who likes this song, blindy likes everything they put out. I hate The Hunting Party as a full album but I love this song.

In fact, I think it is one of their best songs to date :)

Edited by Bliss

Tbh, their visuals might only get better for it. Beside a few exceptions, there are not much videos by them past their 3rd album that I watch. I feel they actually had to come up with a concept because of the collabo with Mercedes, rather than recording them in some studio setting with Kiiara with a funny effect or whatever.

Over 1,000,000 views on YouTube ASAP. Song is about to explode.

I will say that I hope LP doesn't use this songwriting approach again for music. The lyrics are substandard for them, and apparently don't come out even 1% better than if they had done them last. I mean I know Burn It Down, etc had really pathetic lyrics. However, the music is what truly suffers in this approach by being done last.