Linkin Park Debuts "Heavy" (feat. Kiiara)

hahninator

Ok, so apparently nobody mentioned this or I would have known earlier, Chester sings Heavy live normally? Sounds much better than the studio version and it sounds just like the piano versions of Pushing Me Away, My December, Breaking The Habit, etc. that the band has done in the past. Didn't know that. Only piano and vocals, it doesn't really sound poppy. I can dig the live version. I wouldn't mind seeing it at a show. I think a lot of what I didn't like about Heavy studio version was that I hated the vocals and the poppy sounding instrumental to go with it. Here, Chester sings it like he has every other slow LP song. Damn.

Yeah that's true. I would imagine for someone who hates the studio version it's almost bittersweet how good it sounds like this. I guess it's too much to hope for that instead of the ballad medley, they would play Heavy as a piano version with Chester singing Kiiara's parts when they go out on tour?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that's true. I would imagine for someone who hates the studio version it's almost bittersweet how good it sounds like this. I guess it's too much to hope for that instead of the ballad medley, they would play Heavy as a piano version with Chester singing Kiiara's parts when they go out on tour?

I've been going to LP shows since 2007 and I've heard Pushing Me Away (Piano Version), My December (Piano Version), Breaking The Habit (Piano Version at Edgefest 2008), IN MY REMAINS (Piano Version at Summit) and Ballad Medley a lot of times and this live version of Heavy sounds just like that stuff. Sounds like classic LP to me. If you listen to the first verse and chorus of Heavy studio version and then the first verse and chorus of Heavy live, it sounds drastically different. I imagine Chester singing the entire song live on tour will be epic if he does that this way.

I've been going to LP shows since 2007 and I've heard Pushing Me Away (Piano Version), My December (Piano Version), Breaking The Habit (Piano Version at Edgefest 2008), IN MY REMAINS (Piano Version at Summit) and Ballad Medley a lot of times and this live version of Heavy sounds just like that stuff. Sounds like classic LP to me. If you listen to the first verse and chorus of Heavy studio version and then the first verse and chorus of Heavy live, it sounds drastically different. I imagine Chester singing the entire song live on tour will be epic if he does that this way.

In what way does Chester sing different on the live version? I don't hear it, I can hear music pretty well if I must say so myself but I just don't hear it. He is close to being one on one with the studio version is what I hear.

Technique whise he just does the Holding on part of the chorus a bit difference with more vibrato and he holds it instead of the little pause. And I'm not being attackive or something, just curious what makes the difference for you Geki

In what way does Chester sing different on the live version? I don't hear it, I can hear music pretty well if I must say so myself but I just don't hear it. He is close to being one on one with the studio version is what I hear.

Technique whise he just does the Holding on part of the chorus a bit difference with more vibrato and he holds it instead of the little pause. And I'm not being attackive or something, just curious what makes the difference for you Geki

Idk, to me, he just sounds differently. Maybe it's because you don't have the pop garbage going on in the background combined with the vocals like on the studio version. The studio version is also extremely overproduced, autotuned, etc. much like everything Linkin Park releases, which is why I hate the studio side of Linkin Park and only really listen to them live. But it sounds much better to me. Chester always has sounded better to me live than he does in the studio on anything he does.

Chester's tonality is definitely a bit different on the live version. He has less of that "about to cry" thing going on in the live one and just kind of sings it instead. His voice still has sort of a cracking sound (not like puberty cracking, more emotional), but it's toned down a lot.

Ok, so apparently nobody mentioned this or I would have known earlier, Chester sings Heavy live normally? Sounds much better than the studio version and it sounds just like the piano versions of Pushing Me Away, My December, Breaking The Habit, etc. that the band has done in the past. Didn't know that. Only piano and vocals, it doesn't really sound poppy. I can dig the live version. I wouldn't mind seeing it at a show. I think a lot of what I didn't like about Heavy studio version was that I hated the vocals and the poppy sounding instrumental to go with it. Here, Chester sings it like he has every other slow LP song. Damn.

Agreed, I also dig the live version better. It feels a bit odd that the studio version of Heavy has been produced in the most top 40 way possible with 'edited' vocals etc. While the live version sounds more 'real' if I make sense, since the whole point of this album is said to be about their personal struggles, so why did they take a distance with the production and almost made it a bit theatrical in the way they produced Chester's vocals :lol:

Idk, to me, he just sounds differently. Maybe it's because you don't have the pop garbage going on in the background combined with the vocals like on the studio version. The studio version is also extremely overproduced, autotuned, etc. much like everything Linkin Park releases, which is why I hate the studio side of Linkin Park and only really listen to them live. But it sounds much better to me. Chester always has sounded better to me live than he does in the studio on anything he does.

I get your point, the live version sounded like a normal LP acoustic song. I rather see them play this version on Tour than the studio...it would bring the emotion of the song better to the crowd. Also, Chester doesn't sound so agonized at some parts.

The amount of guitar you can clearly hear in the instrumental version caught me off guard, listening to the normal one I thought it was only present in the last chorus. The guitar part in the second verse reminds me of Iridescent's clean guitar.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQxweq6AZk

Any member of this site should listen to this entire interview word for word. Wtf happened????

I wish someone would ask him that during the promotion of the album. Just a simple "After listening to Heavy, I couldn't help but remember you and the rest of the band totally shitting on pop music 2 years ago. What brought about this complete 180?"

I like THP, and I like Heavy and the clip of Sorry For Now that we have. I'm pretty certain I'm going to like this album as a whole as well. My only problem with this album cycle is Mike's own words 2 years ago when promoting THP. It's bothering me because, Mike's comments in 2014 coupled with Mike now saying he wouldn't call Heavy pop or mainstream, makes him seem a little hypocritical.

EDIT: I realize he was promoting the hard rock album they had just made, but he went out of his way to diss pop music when he didn't have to do that.

Edited by Justin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQxweq6AZk

Any member of this site should listen to this entire interview word for word. Wtf happened????

All this complaining about indie bands making a pop jingle, and yet Linkin Park just made a fucking pop jingle and they're soon proud of it. This entire video is so hypocritical.

I feel betrayed as a Linkin Park fan. NOT because I don't like Heavy. But because the band members have clearly decided this time around to say "fuck the haters, they weren't fans to begin with" when that simply isn't the case. Any time they've talked about their fanbase previously, they've discussed how some fans like certain albums from them over others and that's okay. Now? They've decided fans who dislike the direction of Heavy aren't fans at all.

I don't even want screaming or heavy guitars or a return to any past sounds. I just want the "fucking stellar" songs Chester teased in one of the Heavy pre release videos which after three years of waiting, Heavy is a horrible disappointment.

Is he back on drugs?

That's a messed up thing to say.

Anyways did they actually say that anyone who doesn't like Heavy is a "hater" or "piece of shit"? I can't imagine any of them actually saying that, and if Chester responds angrily to a fan on Twitter I'm willing to bet it's because the fan crossed the line first. There's a difference between "I don't like this song or direction" and "What the fuck happened to you guys? This fucking shit SUCKS".

I would get pissed off too if I had to see thousands of comments like that directed at myself and my band mates.

There's a difference between "I don't like this song or direction" and "What the fuck happened to you guys? This fucking shit SUCKS".

I would get pissed off too if I had to see thousands of comments like that directed at myself and my band mates.

True. Fans only care bout themselves but never think bout the band. they have 6 people vs million fans worldwide. every single day got a tweet like that, i'm sure they will pissed off. they're just a human, they have limits too. but you know, we can't control others.

That's a messed up thing to say.

Anyways did they actually say that anyone who doesn't like Heavy is a "hater" or "piece of shit"? I can't imagine any of them actually saying that, and if Chester responds angrily to a fan on Twitter I'm willing to bet it's because the fan crossed the line first. There's a difference between "I don't like this song or direction" and "What the fuck happened to you guys? This fucking shit SUCKS".

It's funny that during an interview with NRK in 2003, Chester said ''Anyone who thinks their fans are annoying should be shot in the back of the head, execution style'' and how he's sitting on his Twitter completely trashing fans, etc. Man, money and fame can really change a person. Edited by Geki

It's funny that during an interview with NRK in 2003, Chester said ''Anyone who thinks their fans are annoying should be shot in the back of the head, execution style'' and how he's sitting on his Twitter completely trashing fans, etc. Man, money and fame can really change a person.

You're REALLY grasping at straws when you're citing 14-year old interviews given at a time when someone was heavily abusing alcohol and essentially stoned 24/7 as something someone should be held to in the present day. What's next, you're going to call Chester a liar for not having a mullet because he said "I wanna grow a mullet" on stage one time? :lol:

Also, Chester had the good fortune of not having to deal with many annoying fans in 2003, because the fans they had at the time were fans of a band that had, with the exception of Breaking the Habit, only ever released music that fell into one particular genre on their studio albums. People pretty much either liked the "Linkin Park sound" in 2003 or they didn't, because at that point they were a band that could be identified by a particular sound. There was no "LOL THIS ISN'T HYBRID THEORY U SUCK" crap coming from people claiming to be fans who hadn't had anything positive to say about the band in nearly a decade at that point.

Edited by Astat

I'm so used to read similar comments everytime a lead single comes out. I have been around since the HT days and everytime a lead single came out haters always appeared so it doesn't bother me if you guys are totally disrepectful to the band.

I rarely comment threads right now it's super interesting to read all of you guys, the division is insane.

Some of you are overreacting, be fair with the band it was pretty obvious that they wanted to go back to the mainstream and this is just one song of the new album, not every lead single sounds like the rest of the album.

Remember when they released LT and said they said it was the best song ever so the rest of the album should have a similar vibe to it in order to appear in the album, that was a fucking lie.

It's fine to hate, love the song but I invite you to wait until the real thing is out then you can judge what the band did.

Edited by JZE

I'm so used to read similar comments everytime a lead single comes out. I have been around since the HT days and everytime a lead single came out haters always appeared so it doesn't bother me if you guys are totally disrepectful to the band.

I rarely comment threads right now it's super interesting to read all of you guys, the division is insane.

Some of you are overreacting, be fair with the band it was pretty obvious that they wanted to go back to the mainstream and this is just one song of the new album, not every lead single sounds like the rest of the album.

Remember when they released LT and said they said it was the best song ever so the rest of the album should have a similar vibe to it in order to appear in the album, that was a fucking lie.

It's fine to hate, love the song but I invite you to wait until the real thing is out then you can judge what the band did.

You know, aside for the part where Mike said this song was a good representation of the album and this wasn't a case of 1 single sounding different from the rest.

Personally, this song is awful. I absolutely hate it. I understand band evolve over time, but if 20 years of evolution for LP has lead up to them making a generic modern pop song/album, I consider it all for naught. It's made even more of a slap in the face after the bands comments during the THP cycle.

Edited by Projektion

Hi i' m new here from Italy, i just wanted do say that I don' t get all the hate i see around the song. Yea it' s poppy and as far from THP as Meshuggah are far from Selena Gomez but hey : 1 it' s not that bad, chorus is super catchy and i love Chester's performance 2 LP always had really mainstream songs like BID, ITE, New Divide and so on... So it' s a sort of natural evolution for them, and I have faith that OML will be cool.

Hi i' m new here from Italy, i just wanted do say that I don' t get all the hate i see around the song. Yea it' s poppy and as far from THP as Meshuggah are far from Selena Gomez but hey : 1 it' s not that bad, chorus is super catchy and i love Chester's performance 2 LP always had really mainstream songs like BID, ITE, New Divide and so on... So it' s a sort of natural evolution for them, and I have faith that OML will be cool.

Welcome to LPLive! and I agree and have faith too!

There was no "LOL THIS ISN'T HYBRID THEORY U SUCK" crap coming from people claiming to be fans who hadn't had anything positive to say about the band in nearly a decade at that point.

That's my favorite, when people are like "I've been a die hard life long fan, but you guys continue to disappoint since Meteora!" As we approach the 15th anniversary of that album lol.

That's my favorite, when people are like "I've been a die hard life long fan, but you guys continue to disappoint since Meteora!" As we approach the 15th anniversary of that album lol.

Yeah I mean, if you dislike 4 out of six records that a band has put out just stop caring about them! They will never make a nu metal record again because in 2020's it' d be out of place AF and it would probably be their worst record ever ( e. g. Korn, Limp Bizkit, Dangerkids,...)

Yeah I mean, if you dislike 4 out of six records that a band has put out just stop caring about them! They will never make a nu metal record again because in 2020's it' d be out of place AF and it would probably be their worst record ever ( e. g. Korn, Limp Bizkit, Dangerkids,...)

Yeah that won't happen again. Maybe a song here and there, like Wastelands etc. but not an entire album. Which is cool because I wouldn't want it to. I like that they continue to reinvent themselves.