Linkin Park Debuts "Heavy" (feat. Kiiara)

hahninator

Over 1,000,000 views on YouTube ASAP. Song is about to explode.

I will say that I hope LP doesn't use this songwriting approach again for music. The lyrics are substandard for them, and apparently don't come out even 1% better than if they had done them last. I mean I know Burn It Down, etc had really pathetic lyrics. However, the music is what truly suffers in this approach by being done last.

I went back to the video earlier to share it on facebook and saw that it had 777,000 views. I knew it would hit over 1 million in a day. This could finally be another big hit for Linkin Park! Wouldn't be surprised if it got big on pop radio stations. It's short, is all vocals, and has a super catchy chorus. Everything you need for a radio hit.

I didn't read through this thread and I'm guessing a lot of people on here didn't like it as I expect the same hate that it got on LPA but I for one love the track and I'm excited to see how big it gets!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not mad about the approach, but I don't get why they needed to hire/collab with some other songwriters, especially when they hire songwriters who work with Britney, Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez, no offence to Justin Tranter etc. but if I look lyrically at the song, I really don't expect them to have collaborate with a 3rd party for it.

But I can't say I hate it, and I actually dig it very much after a few listens

Edited by Jesper

I am not mad about the approach, but I don't get why they needed to hire/collab with some other songwriters, especially when they hire songwriters who work with Britney, Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez, no offence to Justin Tranter etc. but if I look lyrically at the song, I really don't expect them to have collaborate with a 3rd party for it.

But I can't say I hate it, and I actually dig it very much after a few listens

I think they just wanted to try something new :)

This whole album feels like them trying new things and working with outside writers was something new

I think they just wanted to try something new :)

This whole album feels like them trying new things and working with outside writers was something new

Yeah I think the record may surprise, I feel it could be an unexpected rollercoaster. I am not against them trying new things though, just neef to get Used to it, I guess

Man, it's almost sad how they went from being so creative to just making this generic stuff. I mean, you take Twenty One Pilots for example, the LP influence is undeniable, but they are like a really commercial, generic 2017 version of what LP used to be. And now the band is being influenced by it, with Chester saying they're his favorite band on Twitter and whatever.

This thing sounds like a midlife crisis all over, the lyrics are so lame, the whole thing just sounds so plastic idk. If they wanna make pop stuff, i don't have a problem with that, I actually like the idea, but make it good for god's sake. They are so talented and have acces to an infinite amount of resources and equipment and yet they are making a shittier copy of their own copy, I just can't get my head around it.

The instrumental sounds muddy and poorly mixed, it has no element that stand out. It's like they opened up ableton or whatever DAW and just used a bunch of presets and factory sounds.

I can't seem to find a reason they would go for this sound, they already have an enormous fanbase, they can do whatever they want, experiment with all sorts of elements and what not and people are gonna support it. I mean, maybe they did it this way because they actually like it but I don't buy it. I don't know.

Edited by VFCMartins

Man, it's almost sad how they went from being so creative to just making this generic stuff. I mean, you take Twenty One Pilots for example, the LP influence is undeniable, but they are like a really commercial, generic 2017 version of what LP used to be. And now the band is being influenced by it, with Chester saying they're his favorite band on Twitter and whatever.

This thing sounds like a midlife crisis all over, the lyrics are so lame, the whole thing just sounds so plastic idk. If they wanna make pop stuff, i don't have a problem with that, I actually like the idea, but make it good for god's sake. They are so talented and have acces to an infinite amount of resources and equipment and yet they are making a shittier copy of their own copy, I just can't get my head around it.

The instrumental sounds muddy and poorly mixed, it has no element that stand out. It's like they opened up ableton or whatever DAW and just used a bunch of presets and factory sounds.

I can't seem to find a reason they would go for this sound, they already have an enormous fanbase, they can do whatever they want, experiment with all sorts of elements and what not and people are gonna support it. I mean, maybe they did it this way because they actually like it but I don't buy it. I don't know.

The reason to go this route is simple....it's sells.

If we have to believe the teasers they released before they dropped Heavy, they want to take some risks this record. By making the poppiest song they could make, aswell as experimenting and making the weirdest song they ever made. So If we have to believe them on their word, this album could be a rollercoaster with every song being different in it's own right. But we'll see.

I don't think OML will be as diverse in styles as MTM for example. Mike did say though that they experimented with all sorts of things, so I think there's some variety

I don't see how it possibly could be. MTM was extremely diverse and the band said that they wanted the album to be that way, where each song was drastically different than the next. Mike already said that the album sounds like Heavy. It's obvious the band was going for a specific sound with this album, kind of like THP, but it turned out to be whatever this is. LT was also pretty diverse IMO, and Mike and Brad even talked about how LT was diverse during the Studio Update Podcast last year. You get stuff like VICTIMIZED into ROADS UNTRAVELED into SKIN TO BONE and so on and so forth.

It's not like variety is a must. For example, THP sounds pretty much the same throughout and it's still a great album.

Listened to Heavy again now and I can safely say that I like it. It sure is different and I'm curious to see how this album (cycle) is turning out. One thing I noticed is how smooth the songs ends. Rob's drumming slowly fades out, then the electro beat comes back for a moment and then it ends. I love that

It's not like variety is a must. For example, THP sounds pretty much the same throughout and it's still a great album.

Listened to Heavy again now and I can safely say that I like it. It sure is different and I'm curious to see how this album (cycle) is turning out. One thing I noticed is how smooth the songs ends. Rob's drumming slowly fades out, then the electro beat comes back for a moment and then it ends. I love that

Variety isn't a must, no. I agree. I listen to a lot of bands and artists that don't really change up the sound like Linkin Park does from track to track, or even album to album. But if you fundamentally just don't like the style of music, that's ok too. I don't like the sound of Heavy at all. I don't listen to other bands and artists who make that kind of music, either. You're also allowed to dislike something that Linkin Park does, which is something I think a lot of members on this site have a problem with.

Variety isn't a must, no. I agree. I listen to a lot of bands and artists that don't really change up the sound like Linkin Park does from track to track, or even album to album. But if you fundamentally just don't like the style of music, that's ok too. I don't like the sound of Heavy at all. I don't listen to other bands and artists who make that kind of music, either. You're also allowed to dislike something that Linkin Park does, which is something I think a lot of members on this site have a problem with.

Of course we're allowed to dislike LP's music, but I just happen to like almost everything lol. I guess their vocals and melodies just appeal to me overall.

You're also allowed to dislike something that Linkin Park does, which is something I think a lot of members on this site have a problem with.

What some members of this site have a problem with is the whole "this is pop garbage that Mike recorded by himself in 3 seconds, LP are such sellouts, why did they ever stop making music like HT/Meteora/THP, I'm never listening to them ever again ever" attitude. Not the fact that people dislike the song, of course you don't have to like every single thing that the band has ever recorded.

Edited by Mesck547

What some members of this site have a problem with is the whole "this is pop garbage that Mike recorded by himself in 3 seconds, LP are such sellouts, why did they ever stop making music like HT/Meteora/THP, I'm never listening to them ever again ever" attitude. Not the fact that people dislike the song, of course you don't have to like every single thing that the band has ever recorded.

Well, to be fair, Mike did blast pop or whatever this kind of music is in 2014, but now he seems to have done a complete 180 on it. It's also my opinion if I think it's garbage, which I do. MTM is also my favorite album and it doesn't sound like HT, Meteora or THP much at all. I just envisioned a soft rock type album, something similar to how Iridescent sounded, that's the best way to describe the sound I was expecting. When people used to say ''full pop'' in 2014/2015, I didn't think Linkin Park would literally make this kind of music, I thought there was always going to at least be some ''Linkin Park'' flavor in it. But yeah, I see what you mean. I just think people are allowed to post how they feel about anything the band does, whether it be negative or not. The people who only like HT and Meteora are still fans just the same as the people who like this new direction, IMO.

Well, to be fair, Mike did blast pop or whatever this kind of music is in 2014, but now he seems to have done a complete 180 on it. It's also my opinion if I think it's garbage, which I do. MTM is also my favorite album and it doesn't sound like HT, Meteora or THP much at all. I just envisioned a soft rock type album, something similar to how Iridescent sounded, that's the best way to describe the sound I was expecting. When people used to say ''full pop'' in 2014/2015, I didn't think Linkin Park would literally make this kind of music, I thought there was always going to at least be some ''Linkin Park'' flavor in it. But yeah, I see what you mean. I just think people are allowed to post how they feel about anything the band does, whether it be negative or not. The people who only like HT and Meteora are still fans just the same as the people who like this new direction, IMO.

Everyone is allowed to voice their opinions, but in an appropriate way, which a lot of people tend to forget. Not taking shots at you, or anyone else, I've just seen posts like that all over the place in the last day.

Well... this not surprise me, i knew the single will sound like this, and well, i don't like it, it's good help to kiiara cuz is new on this industry, but is necessary take this big risk? like ATS only that is 10 times more dangerous, the magazines and the press of rock starts to attack the band about this new change, after THP was amazing in Instrumentals but Crap in Lyrics. I just hope this era of One More Light ends soon and make more music like gods of rock commands, something is sure, if the album sounds like this, i will not buy definitely. Sorry guys.

I never criticized the band, I always supported their sonic change, but this song, even when I listened 20 times and even the acoustic version I can not enjoy it, it was horrible, it has a beautiful lyrics and a good refrain, but they missed the final mix. Be a great song, have my deslike on youtube for the first time.