2014.06.14 - Castle Donington, England - Download (HT in Full)

I noticed this too. most seemed to be expecting alot more Meteora.

Yeah, to continue with the theme. Also there we're too many new songs in a short space of time, they should have only done 1 or 2 songs from THP.

I felt a little disconnected with the second act so I'm sure the part-time LP fans felt even more so.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your hundred percent spot on. The crowd was quiet, save for the front. When they did the singalong parts, i couldn't hear anything. It was lacking something live. I cant put my finger on it, but it wasn't LP at its best. Im still happy and it was a great show, but not as good as it could have been.

Thinking about it, I agree with this somewhat. It was a very weird first act. I felt lost...

it's always going to be hard to engage festival audience who are purely there for the nostalgia.

did anyone here really expect any different? LP are hardly a band that are relevant to most people's tastes these days, this was always going to be the case.

Crazy divide then it seems. Myself and a few others thought it was quiet where we were sat, no far behind from the audio tower thing directly in front of the main stage.

Yet at the front people are claiming it to be thunderous. Im glad to hear that really, hopefully there were some sound issues or wind where I was sat because I felt bad for LP on the night.

LP are hardly a band that are relevant to most people's tastes these days, this was always going to be the case.

Really? I wonder how they headline tons of major festivals in the world every year and how they make tons of revenue on their tours, etc. I mean Honda Civic Tour had the best selling revenue in 2012 than any other year.. They also debut at #1 with each album except for THP, and even that has debuted at #1 a lot of places. They also have more YouTube views than any other band in the world as well as an insane number of Facebook likes.

Really? I wonder how they headline tons of major festivals in the world every year and how they make tons of revenue on their tours, etc. I mean Honda Civic Tour had the best selling revenue in 2012 than any other year.. They also debut at #1 with each album except for THP, and even that has debuted at #1 a lot of places. They also have more YouTube views than any other band in the world as well as an insane number of Facebook likes.

K.O

GEKI WINS

all I'm saying is that most people were there to hear Hybrid Theory, they weren't interested in the other, newer stuff. it's a nostalgia thing - "man, I loved this song when I was X years old" - I heard stuff along those lines all weekend.. Burn It Down went down like a lead balloon for that crowd

If it weren't for Hybrid Theory and Meteora, I don't think they'd be headlining festivals or touring well, casual fans come back to see them live for what they used to be, and festival/tour organisers know they can basically print money off the back of that

all I'm saying is that most people were there to hear Hybrid Theory, they weren't interested in the other, newer stuff. it's a nostalgia thing - "man, I loved this song when I was X years old" - I heard stuff along those lines all weekend.. Burn It Down went down like a lead balloon for that crowd

If it weren't for Hybrid Theory and Meteora, I don't think they'd be headlining festivals or touring well, casual fans come back to see them live for what they used to be, and festival/tour organisers know they can basically print money off the back of that

Download is kind of irrelevant in terms of LP's touring in general. It was just one festival, LP still headlines tons of other festivals each year without playing Hybrid Theory in full. They also do their huge tours in the states that sell tons compared to a lot of US bands. Hybrid Theory and Meteora are definitely not what LP is mostly recognized for, especially not Meteora. Hybrid Theory, there is no doubt, but I wouldn't say it's all they are recognized for. At least in the states I know they have huge hits from other albums like Numb, What I've Done, Numb/Encore, Shadow Of The Day, Burn It Down, etc. Even if you just look at LP's sales from 2007 on, they still have sold exceptionally well and so haven't all of their tours since 2007 as well, it's not only the ''old LP'' that keeps them popular, not by a long shot. Compared to most bands since 2007, LP has sold tons. It's just not common at all anymore for band to even sell a million records for a rock album, it's unheard of for a rock band in recent years (since 2007) to sell 20 million albums off of one album. You can't compare sales using the year 2000 as an example since the music industry is much different now in recent years. Oh yeah and did I ever mention how much I loathe the fans or people that only listen to the ''old LP'' or nu-metal? I think I may have mentioned that before.

Edited by Geki

Download is kind of irrelevant in terms of LP's touring in general. It was just one festival, LP still headlines tons of other festivals each year without playing Hybrid Theory in full. They also do their huge tours in the states that sell tons compared to a lot of US bands. Hybrid Theory and Meteora are definitely not what LP is mostly recognized for, especially not Meteora. Hybrid Theory, there is no doubt, but I wouldn't say it's all they are recognized for. At least in the states I know they have huge hits from other albums like Numb, What I've Done, Numb/Encore, Shadow Of The Day, Burn It Down, etc. Even if you just look at LP's sales from 2007 on, they still have sold exceptionally well and so haven't all of their tours since 2007 as well, it's not only the ''old LP'' that keeps them popular, not by a long shot. Compared to most bands since 2007, LP has sold tons. It's just not common at all anymore for band to even sell a million records for a rock album, it's unheard of for a rock band in recent years (since 2007) to sell 20 million albums off of one album. You can't compare sales using the year 2000 as an example since the music industry is much different now in recent years. Oh yeah and did I ever mention how much I loathe the fans or people that only listen to the ''old LP'' or nu-metal? I think I may have mentioned that before.

you're right, this is just one event, but certainly for UK audiences, HT/M is what LP are really known for. it annoys me too that alot of people don't look beyond those two albums but it happens, certainly on this side of the pond. I think the success of later albums is of course due to the material released, but I often feel that their recent successes stem from the fact that they're simply a well-established act. you're correct to say the market is totally different, and it might just be me being a bit reductive of the situation, but.. I dont know.. it's only my little opinion

Well it's safe to say there's a fairly split reaction on this one ha! I will say it's common in England (or at least my experience of English festivals which encompasses Download, Sonisphere and Leeds Festival on multiple occasions) that the barrier between the front section and the rest of the arena is the separation point between madness and calm. I was all over the front section for the whole 90 minutes of the bands set and especially during Hybrid Theory it was fucking manic. I'm surprised Garo's camera hasn't picked up more noise because at times it was difficult to hear the band over the crowd and it was clear from the band's reaction that they thought we were loud as well and they looked to be genuinely having fun for the first time in ages!

There were a small amount of people leaving once HT finished, but not enough that it left the crowd sparse or anything. I was actually surprised by the crowd reaction of those that remained. Seemed really into Waiting For the End and Burn It Down as well as the harder songs. Of the second act I think the best reaction was actually for Given Up everyone went mad - had a pit in front of me that must have been a good 30-40 feet wide. Unfortunately going mental isn't for everyone and I think that's been shown in people who have posted already that were further back standing or even sitting down.

you're right, this is just one event, but certainly for UK audiences, HT/M is what LP are really known for. it annoys me too that alot of people don't look beyond those two albums but it happens, certainly on this side of the pond. I think the success of later albums is of course due to the material released, but I often feel that their recent successes stem from the fact that they're simply a well-established act. you're correct to say the market is totally different, and it might just be me being a bit reductive of the situation, but.. I dont know.. it's only my little opinion

Only at the festivals the band play in UK. you only have to look at Milton Keynes 2008 55 thousand people turned up for linkin park and rocked out to every song. maybe the band should just do arenas over here then one off out door show instead of festivals over here

Only at the festivals the band play in UK. you only have to look at Milton Keynes 2008 55 thousand people turned up for linkin park and rocked out to every song. maybe the band should just do arenas over here then one off out door show instead of festivals over here

yes, it's important tot make the distinction between festivals and their own live shows. with festivals there are always people who've paid to be there but might not necessarily care about the headliner, or might only know say... their older material

• 2 weeks later...

The songs shown on the highlight show were One Step Closer, In The End, Wastelands, Until It's Gone

Really? Was that all? Goddamit.

I wish they broadcast the full performance like the BBC did for all the Glastonbury headliners AND support bands. To think they filmed it all yet not released it. We better be getting a DVD for this soon...

^Yes, but Glastonbury has a lot more support from BBC/Channel 4/etc. compared to Download, Unless download is able to pick up enough companies to back it to allow it to host the live stream again or allow them to show the whole shows on tv, it ain't going to happen.