2014.06.14 - Castle Donington, England - Download (HT in Full)

Linkin Park closes out their nine show European Tour with the show that we have all been waiting for all year - Download! Returning to Castle Donington for the first time since 2011, Linkin Park will be performing Hybrid Theory in full start-to-finish for the first time ever. Coincidentally, this will also be the tenth anniversary of the band's first show at Download. But before we get into that, let's cover the festival and England first... We have a feeling this will be one of our largest preshow posts ever.

The band has performed at the legendary festival three times before - in 2004, 2007 and 2011. The 2004 edition of the festival had a spinoff in Scotland the day before Download, so Linkin Park headlined a day of that while Metallica took the other. The band then headlined Download 2004 instead of Rock im Park and they really rocked it extra hard for that crowd. A Place For My Head was missing from the setlist for Download Scotland, but they added it in to close out the main set in Donington. Good choice, guys. The day after that, they went to Rock am Ring for the show we all know and love so much to kick some serious ass in Germany! Download 2007 was another great performance for the band, with a huge crowd turning out to see the Minutes To Midnight album in person, and Download 2011 was a little bit softer with the A Thousand Suns tracks, but the band still packed the festival and played a great show to close out the three day event at Donington Park.

However, there has not been a Linkin Park show in England since the July 4, 2011 London iTunes Festival show. That was the show that we all watched the webcast of online and that had the Rolling In The Deep cover to start the encore. How has it almost been three years since that show? Anyway, the band has not returned to England since then, skipping it entirely on the Living Things World Tour (after the canceled fall dates in 2012 didn't end up happening). Needless to say, the English fans are ready for the band to return and Linkin Park will be doing it in style on Saturday, June 14th. Until 2012, England was one of the most-performed in countries for the band!

So let's get into Hybrid Theory...

There appears to be at least one show in the band's history where they performed Hybrid Theory in full - a headlining show at London's Brixton Academy in June 2001. There were plenty of shows in 2001 with the full album EXCEPT for Cure For The Itch (such as the fall 2001 headlining tour in Europe), but at this show it seems that LP (or Joe) randomly brought the song back for the encore. There's a show in Copenhagen just before that for which we don't have the setlist for, so maybe it was done there as well. Until now, this would be the only known show in the band's history where every song from Hybrid Theory was performed.

At the time, Linkin Park had full headlining sets and even with the full album performed, they still had extra room they had to fill in the setlists, so a variety of other songs were added throughout the year, including And One (played in 2000 as well), High Voltage (Reprise Version), Step Up, and even Chester's Morning After solo song. Carousel was even rehearsed that year, but it didn't make a live appearance unfortunately. The other song on the Hybrid Theory EP, Part Of Me, has no known live performance either (along with Carousel). At the Pinkpop 2007 Meet & Greet, Phoenix said that he couldn't recall if the band had ever played either of those tracks live....and that's all we know about that!

And now a track-by-track rundown....

Papercut

We all love Papercut, the band loves Papercut, and that's why the song has been performed live EVERY year of the band's existence except for 2009, when it took a short break from the short summer tour that promoted New Divide. Even then, Mike couldn't resist rapping a verse of it over Bleed It Out in Macau! We'll take it and that's enough to say that the song has been performed in SOME form every year that Linkin Park has been called Linkin Park. Currently, the song is performed in a shortened version on this European Tour so this will be the only performance of the song in full on this tour. The band has confirmed that they will be playing Hybrid Theory FIRST in the setlist and will be playing it in order, so Papercut will be opening the show. You can guarantee one thing, though....Download will lose their minds when the beginning of Papercut starts.

One Step Closer

We were surprised to see the song mid-set at the Tucson show in May. Until Japan 2006, One Step Closer closed every show that the band has ever performed. Moving it to close the main set in 2006, Breaking The Habit took the honors of closing the show, and One Step Closer started moving around in 2007. It opened setlists, it closed the main set, it opened the encore break, it closed the show, etc. On the A Thousand Suns World Tour, Linkin Park didn't play the song at the MTV EMA show in Madrid, the Moscow Red Square show for Transformers 3, or at two festivals in the summer in France and Switzerland. To close the entire ATS World Tour, it was third in the setlist at the Formula 1 show in Singapore. This is the first time that it has consistently been performed mid-set and that's appropriate for Download as well, since it will be second in the setlist there.

With You

A song performed at every Linkin Park show from 2000 to 2006, With You took a break in 2007. It was missing from the 2008 and 2009 setlists as well, and Mike confirmed in 2010 with fans in Europe that he knew the hardcore fans wanted to see the song again and that he wanted to play it. The song made its resurrection two years later at the LPU House Of Blues show in Los Angeles, where it returned with a bunch of other great songs. Currently, like Papercut, With You is performed in a shortened version in the setlist right now so this also will be the only full performance of the song on this tour. And as a bonus for Download... Chester has recently been screaming his "c'mon" intro to the song like he did in the old days!

Points Of Authority

As we mentioned above, With You took a break for a few world tours and Points Of Authority followed suit a few years later when it was dropped from the sets in 2010 and 2011 for the A Thousand Suns World Tour. An interesting fact about the song is that it appeared on a leaked draft setlist from the London 2010 LPU Summit show (night two), but it ended up not being played. The band was having a lot of fun with Points in 2008 and 2009, adding intros and outros to it and having Mike rap all sorts of great verses over the song from other Linkin Park and Fort Minor tracks. Anyway, Points returned in 2012 and has been a staple ever since. The song pretty much set Rock am Ring on fire last week, so we are really anticipating this one at Download!

Crawling

Debuting in 2001 on the Street Soldiers' Tour, Crawling stayed around in the setlist for every show until 2012, when it was dropped on the Honda Civic Tour. It was in the setlist for Bristow and Uncasville to start the tour, and even showed up in a draft Camden setlist a few shows later, but the band ultimately decided to shelve the song for the rest of the Living Things World Tour in 2012 and 2013. We can't blame them, as Chester doesn't necessarily NAIL the song anymore, and it was good to see the song retired for a while. Right now, just the intro and a chorus of the song is performed live in the wild encore medley. This will be the only performance of Crawling on the tour and judging by Mike's recent comment that "Crawling will be the first song to go to make room for new songs this summer", we don't expect to see the song again for quite a long time after Download. This will definitely be a special performance of the song, which hasn't been performed in full since the intimate SiriusXM show at Third Encore in August 2012.

Runaway

The song that gets crowds bouncing in every city it is played in, Runaway is also a song that took the same break as its show partner With You (since they were performed back-to-back for many years) from 2007 until 2012. Runaway was performed for just a few shows in 2012, being dropped from the setlist for Honda Civic Tour. It has not been performed live since the X Games show in Los Angeles in June 2012. It's no secret that Chester has a strong dislike for the song, so we aren't exactly anticipating seeing this song on Carnivores this summer since it stands a very small chance of sticking around in the setlists. Right now, it is performed as a short version, with the band finishing the first chorus before Mike goes into Wastelands verse 1. This will likely be the only full performance of Runaway for quite some time as well.

By Myself

Now we are getting into the rare stuff! By Myself is a song that was performed at just about every show from fall 2000 to fall 2003. It was last played live on October 29, 2003 in Seoul, South Korea. It was never played again after this due to the band adding more songs from Meteora to the setlists. Linkin Park will be revisiting the track for the first time almost eleven years when it resurrects it at Download. By Myself was performed as the studio version from 2000 to 2002, and then a live intro was added with Mike rapping the bridge over a building instrumental in 2003. We all are familiar with this version as it is on the Live In Texas DVD. An interesting note about the track is that it appeared in the encore of the Projekt Revolution 2002 setlist, so the band at that time at least thought that the track kicked some ass live. It was rehearsed in 2009 at least once did it did not make it to the 2009 setlist. By Myself is sure to be a real treat for those in attendance at Download, and we are crossing our fingers that the band decides to keep it around for the rest of the touring cycle for The Hunting Party.

In The End

There's not much to say for In The End, besides that the crowd singalong on the bridge at Download is sure to be a good one. Linkin Park has played In The End at every known, full show in the band's history except for one. On February 27, 2013 in Melbourne, the band decided to let fans vote in the encore for In The End or A Place For My Head. We are pretty sure that In The End had the loudest crowd reaction, but that didn't stop Chester from saying he wanted to play A Place For My Head and off they went with it! If you were around at that time, you'll remember a fan tweeting Chester that she was DEVASTATED that they didn't play the song at that show. We are hoping that the rest of the band didn't see that tweet, but maybe they did, as the song has still not been dropped from the setlists and likely never will be. Fans after the show collectively made a great decision - why not just play both songs?

A Place For My Head

Ah yes, the fan favorite for the hardcore fans for so long. A Place For My Head has been around forever, and it was played at every show until 2006, when it disappeared from the Japan setlist. If you've been a member of LPLive since the beginning, you might remember the EXTENSIVE campaigning fans went through to get the song back in 2007. After M&Gs, reports were common that fans had "asked them to play A Place For My Head", and in one occurrence, the Perth fans signed a huge petition for the song and presented it to the band at the M&G in 2007. Wow! All of this insanity in 2007 (literally all year long) came to a breaking point in January 2008, when it was resurrected in Hannover, Germany for the first show of the tour. Not only that, but it was the first time that Linkin Park had ever performed two encores at a show, and A Place For My Head -> One Step Closer was the second encore. Holy shit, right? The crowd reaction to when the intro kicks in is priceless, and Linkin Park NAILED the song the rest of the year, before it was dropped again for Projekt Revolution 2008. Mike even appeared in the pit with silly string in Nashville in 2008 on the song. The band performed it ONCE on the A Thousand Suns World Tour in Paris, France for the Hybrid Theory 10th Anniversary. This pretty much started the whole process all over again since the Paris performance was nothing short of epic as fuck (it was even performed unrehearsed!) as French lost their minds to it. Fans then asked the entire rest of the year for the song to return at the LPU M&Gs and the band indeed did give in by adding it to the bridge of Bleed It Out. At the very next show in Dortmund, Germany, Mike commented to the LPLive fans in the front (with their shirts on) that this was "just for you guys" before going into the first verse of the song. A Place For My Head returned in 2012 for the Living Things World Tour, kicking off first the European Festival Set and then Set B. We have missed the song on this tour, we hope it stays around for Carnivores, and we are ready for it at Download!

Forgotten

Wow! How about another super rare song for you? Forgotten was last performed live on February 24, 2002 (Las Vegas, NV) (Possibly March 4, 2002 in LA). Forgotten has been performed with an extended beat intro (and then with guitar in 2002) at all of its live performances. It was an early staple in the setlist and was played very often from 2000 (before Linkin Park) until the end of 2002. However, it did not reappear in 2003 as it was dropped to make room for Meteora songs, and it has not been touched since. The band often extended the bridge of the song to get the crowd to yell "back" (as you might have seen on the Rock am Ring 2001 performance). It is unknown how it will be performed at Download, but Forgotten might just be THE most anticipated song of the setlist since it will be the band's largest live liberation in its history.

Cure For The Itch

Joe and Mike's instrumental on Hybrid Theory is a track that has never been performed in FULL live. The 2000 and 2001 version of the song was shortened (almost always used to open a show, with a rare exception or two) quite a bit. In 2007, a remix of the track was added to the setlist to open the encore in Set B before QWERTY. This version stuck around until the end of 2008 and was used twice more in 2011 before the Asia Tour for the Las Vegas show and the LA Mayan show. However, the song has not been touched since. The last performance of the remix version was on August 31, 2011 and the last performance of the short studio version was June 4, 2000 in London. This song will be a tossup at Download - we think it's possible that they'll play the remix version of the song, but since it's Hybrid Theory in full, we aren't ruling out the studio version in full for the first time ever. We will have to wait and see!

Pushing Me Away

The last performance of the studio version of Pushing Me Away was on August 21, 2008 in Maryland Heights, MO on Projekt Revolution 2008. The studio version was played in 2001 and 2002, but was dropped from the setlists until the summer tour in Europe in 2008, when it was resurrected. One of the encores on that tour featured Pushing Me Away, Breaking The Habit, A Place For My Head, and One Step Closer. Pretty solid, eh? The remix, P5hng Me A*wy, was added in 2003 and stuck around for a full year (March 2004), and it remains a fan favorite to this day. Mike and Chester started performing a piano version of the song in 2006 (the LPU 6.0 CD has that version) in Japan and that version stuck around until the end of Projekt Revolution 2008. No version of the song has been played since, so this will be a welcome resurrection of Pushing Me Away! Maybe the song will also stick around this summer?

After Hybrid Theory, the band will perform more songs obviously, but we are unsure of how the setlist will work. Maybe they'll take a break after Pushing Me Away, or maybe they'll launch right into Guilty All The Same. We think they they'll of course play Guilty All The Same, Until It's Gone, and Wastelands from The Hunting Party, but we will have to see how the rest of the set goes after that! What do you think they'll close out the show with?

Will the show be webcasted?

Unfortunately, we do not know of a webcast for this show since Download does not hold its own online webcast anymore. Judging by past Download performances, we will for sure get a few songs on TV and/or radio, BUT...

LINKIN PARK WILL BE RELEASING THE SHOW!

"FOR A LIMITED TIME ALSO GET HYBRID THEORY - LIVE AT DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL 2014

LINKIN PARK is playing their seminal first album, Hybrid Theory, front to back LIVE for the first time ever at Download Festival 2014 in the UK. As a thank you to loyal fans, the audio from this special performance is being made available for those fans who can't be there.
ALL OFFERS BELOW WILL COME WITH THIS SPECIAL CONCERT EVENT if you order by 6/22"
*Yes, if you preordered the album BEFORE today you WILL get this preorder, as we have confirmed with Linkin Park management. All LP.com preorders will come with the audio.

bg_product_4.png

Who will be heading to Download this weekend? Fans are flying in from around the world to witness Hybrid Theory in full, so we suspect quite a few LPLive members will be attendance.

Who's ready?

There is no break for the band after this show because they will return home to Los Angeles for two (possibly three) promo shows for The Hunting Party. They will start with the KROQ Red Bull Sound Space show on the 17th before playing a show at the iHeartRadio Theater on the 18th. The Jimmy Kimmel Live show was canceled on the 19th, but 1iota mentions that Linkin Park will record a few songs elsewhere to be shown on TV, so stay tuned for that. For the full touring schedule in 2014, click here.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going. Going to be something very special. Looking forward to meeting so many LP fans from around the world who I know are going. Been a long time in coming since the announcement. Can't believe it's finally here

Another fantastic post Mark. Well done mate :)

Edited by philporter

Great write-up, I'm seriously looking forward to this. My 2nd LP show, 5 years (5!) since my first in '09. So so so excited.

Happy to see that they'll be offering it up for DSP(ish) download too - of all the shows to randomly appear as a DSP, it needed to be this one

..although I'm still looking forward to some good audience recordings too ;)

Crawling

This will be the only performance of Crawling on the tour and judging by Mike's recent comment that "Crawling will be the first song to go to make room for new songs this summer", we don't expect to see the song again for quite a long time after Download.

Where did Mike say this?

You said APFMH and WY was performed at every show from 2001 to 2006, that's not true. It wasn't played at for example Live 8 show in 2005.

I guess I need to be specific haha, when I say that I refer to all legit normal headlining shows, not special shows. If we had to list exceptions to everything we'd be listing Third Encore stuff here and there and all sorts of stuff.

Great pre-show post! I cannot wait to see what they do with the set and the fact that we will get to hear it (HT in full) as a download for THP pre-order is the best news this week.