2014.05.30 - Lisboa, Portugal - Rock In Rio VI

Guilty All The Same sounded fucking dreadful until about the second chorus. Nailed that and Mike sounded great on the bridge.

Wastelands should hopefully be a live staple for years to come. They pulled that song off beautifully.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta say while Chester sounded a little weak singing, his screams were on fucking POINT. Lost in the Echo was a highlight for that reason alone. Even Faint sounded better than it has in years which is amazing.

I love all the fun that Mike is having while doing the intro to his solo part, he's like a kid.

It was a really fun show, I love this set, it shows all the diversity that the band has, i'm so proud of this band.

Also the way Mike was watching Rob during his solo was so incredible like saying ''Oh god this dude is a monster!''

BTW: The new setlist has really cool stuff on it, 100 times better than about 21 songs being played to death. Some people call this creativity. ;)

This!

the highlights to me are:

LITE - I dunno but it never sounded so good to me live until yesterday

WID solo - seems like Brad learned that from Mike Einziger ;) awesome

Mike solo - he's simply nailing it

Joe solo- finally he has his own solo and I love it

stage setup - looks great and it's finally something new

things I would change:

even a shortened "New Divide" is too long

replace POA with Forgotten so thay can rehearse it for Download.

Pretty nice show. Comparing to Tucson, I think Chester was better to sing, but worse at screaming. GATS was sung better, but there wasn't those screams that Chester added at Tucson except 1, which wasn't that good. OSC was generally pretty good, but the last "scream" wasn't raspy, it was more like a high note. I felt like Wastelands missed some electronic sound effects in the verses, and I missed Chester's screams in the bridge too. Waiting For The End was awesome. New Divide as usual, not the best. Faint was awesome, especially the screams. I liked WID very much, the solo was pretty good, but pretty simple. I think it was one of the best ALTNC performances, it was awesome when Steve came on stage, it was a very spontaneous decision. It annoyed me when there was some microphone difficulties during Chester's scream before solo in BIO. The drum solo in BIO was the best Rob's solo yet, Rob came back to the solo like a boss, after he one of the drum sticks broke. The bridge/ending of The Catalyst sounded amazing in BIO. I got disappointed when Chester sung instead of scream the "ouuuuut" several times during the ending of BIO.

Edited by TheDamian58C

Okay, a lot of technical difficulties with the new gear. But I gotta say, I fucking love the new guitar sound.

Finally the guitars sound big and distorted again. I don't know if Brad switched from Randall, but the distortion doesn't sound as thin and digital as it's been sounding since MtM. Maybe he is using the Orange or Engl from the studio now? Maybe it's just the mix. But I like that the guitars are so up front, it's the same in the fan recordings from Tucson.

EDIT: Mesa Boogie maybe? Mike got feedback from a MB combo at the beginning of Faint.

Edited by Fleur de Lys

I love the Castle Of Glass (Experience Version)! I'm glad they are throwing stuff in from Recharged. (After all, EDM is very popular right now.)

I don't think Numb/Encore should be at the end of Numb as well as the beginning. The intro is great. The ending of Numb should be the ending of Numb/Encore. Mike singing "one last time I need y'all to roar."

What is the purpose of playing just a tiny bit of Crawling?

I hope GATS doesn't start off bad at every show. That's two in a row.

Edited by Southpaw818

wow :) i think that numb after numb/encore part sounds little different (i just the first verse)... there's no guitar and sounds fresher than usual, like that part...

First verse of Numb does have guitar. It's the guitar part from Numb/Encore.

Okay, a lot of technical difficulties with the new gear. But I gotta say, I fucking love the new guitar sound.

Finally the guitars sound big and distorted again. I don't know if Brad switched from Randall, but the distortion doesn't sound as thin and digital as it's been sounding since MtM. Maybe he is using the Orange or Engl from the studio now? Maybe it's just the mix. But I like that the guitars are so up front, it's the same in the fan recordings from Tucson.

EDIT: Mesa Boogie maybe? Mike got feedback from a MB combo at the beginning of Faint.

Band isn't using amps for guitars at all anymore (or pedals for effects for that matter), everything's coming from Fractal Audio Axe-FX II's for both Brad and Mike. Looks like Mike just happens to have a single Mesa/Boogie 2x12 cabinet on stage for something he can get up close to for feedback.

I just listened to the whole show again, and I must say that I realized it wasn't just Brad that messed up last night. I originally thought he was the only one who was off and I was a bit harsh. But now I realized that the whole band was a bit off. It's ok though, because it was the first show on the THP World Tour. I don't really count the Arizona show because it was a warm up and to be fair, Chester said during the Rock in Rio show that it was a great place to kick off the world tour.

Some thoughts on the show -

• Guilty All the Same is a brilliant opener, even with the tech problems at this show. With the crazy light show it’s got so much energy.
  • Oddly, Brad’s guitar solo on GATS felt more in time than it does on record.
  • Chester was great at this show, more powerful than a lot of more recent shows on the big choruses and mostly very good in the screamed parts. Weirdly, if anything his screams got better as the show went on.
  • The stage design is awesome, great visuals particularly during the Blackout section and LITE.
  • With You “Come On!” scream <3
  • Great crowd, the singing to the synth melody on the intro to COG brought warmth to my heart.
  • Having said that, I’m not sure about the Recharged section being included. The whole ravey element just feels a bit out of the blue after half an hour of RAWK.
  • The ballad medley is dull now. Just bring Iridescent back, please?
  • Why is Brad murdering the riff of No More Sorrow as part of the Until it Breaks intro? It makes a potentially great intro sound horrible.
  • Lost in the Echo sounds so much better with beefed up guitars.
  • Mike saying ‘all right there Brad?” after he messed up the BIO intro was brilliant, as was the proper Dave Grohl “SING THAT CHORUS IN!"
  • Rob’s drum solo is better than it ever has been, love the dynamics he works into it. Oh, and hurrah for double pedals.

Overall a pretty damn good show. My excitement for Download is palpable.

Band isn't using amps for guitars at all anymore (or pedals for effects for that matter), everything's coming from Fractal Audio Axe-FX II's for both Brad and Mike. Looks like Mike just happens to have a single Mesa/Boogie 2x12 cabinet on stage for something he can get up close to for feedback.

Pardon my ignorance, but does that mean they are just using high end amp modeling for guitars?

My take on the show / setlist :

- The Catalyst into Guilty all the same INTRO doesn't fit . GATS is straight in your face song, and doesn't need an intro. It may be better in the encore "opener"

- As far as I litteraly love Blackout, I feel there's no reason for it to be played as the Papercut intro, again. Waste of time.

- The Papercut/With You/Runaway "medley" is good. No 2nd verse isn't that bad, as it keeps all the energy in.

- The Ballad Medley need to be scrapped, it's a crowd killer..

- Mike doing his stuff is great, Joe's also good at it.

- THAT version of Lost In The Echo is freaking good !!! It needs the second verse.

- Castle of Glass Experience is really a highlight for me. It has energy!

- Even though I'm not a fan of Until it's gone, its Live version is actually one of their best songs .

- Hopefully A Ligh That Never Comes will be scrapped, one day ..

Anyone agrees ?

Pardon my ignorance, but does that mean they are just using high end amp modeling for guitars?

Pretty much, except it's both amp and effects modeling. Almost all of the other rack-mounted gear, MIDI switching boards, preamp modules, etc. that they had in the old rigs is gone (I think there might still be a couple old things in there like the EHX HOG and maybe the Drawmer Dual Gate) Makes for a much simpler signal chain. The only pedal Brad has on stage anymore is the expression pedal that he uses for the WFTE solo.

My take on the show / setlist :

- The Catalyst into Guilty all the same INTRO doesn't fit . GATS is straight in your face song, and doesn't need an intro. It may be better in the encore "opener"

- As far as I litteraly love Blackout, I feel there's no reason for it to be played as the Papercut intro, again. Waste of time.

- The Papercut/With You/Runaway "medley" is good. No 2nd verse isn't that bad, as it keeps all the energy in.

- Mike doing his stuff is great, Joe's also good at it.

- Castle of Glass Experience is really a highlight for me. It has energy!

- Even though I'm not a fan of Until it's gone, its Live version is actually one of their best songs .

- Hopefully A Ligh That Never Comes will be scrapped, one day ..

Anyone agrees ?

I agree on most of them.

-In my opinion POA should be shortened and replaced with Papercut in the medley.

-Papercut should be in the place where POA is, and should be played full

-Intros like Blackout, Robot Boy and The Catalyst/Requiem shouldn't be in the set, then it would be place for more songs

-only Faint and Numb from Meteora, is too little

-Numb, Burn It Down and In The End should be shortened

-Mike's and Joe's solo should be mashed up

-COG should have the original ending

-3 The Catalyst sections in different place all over the set is too much, one is enough, I prefer the one in BIO

-Crawling should be shortened the way With You is, verse-chorus-bridge-chorus

Stuff I'd change:

- don't shorten songs (except those interludes) -> rotate them

- don't add verse 1 of Wastleands over the Runaway beat

- delete the Ballad Medley (it kills the energy - and it gets boring now imo)

- then it looks like this in my head: COG > Robot Boy > Joe solo > Hip-Hop Medley > Numb

- no The Catalyst/NMS intro for UIG, it doesn't sound good to me (not only the Rock in Rio performance, also the Tucson one)

- play LITE and ALTNC in full, they didn't got that much live-time imo.