2014.05.30 - Lisboa, Portugal - Rock In Rio VI

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*facepalm* This fanbase. I can't even.

It's the same old story :( LP can and never will win with most of the fan base. It's a shame because I think what they've put together for this setlist is one of the most interesting things they've done. Just needs a little more practice on the road and some fine tuning and it'll be awesome.

Also, I love how this is the EXACT same setlist as Tucson, there was video of almost that entire show posted all over the place, and now we have all of these people coming out of the woodwork acting all offended as if this is something shocking and unexpected. Welcome to 6 days ago, people.

After all the complaining, I do have to admit I like the energy they are giving off. Mike's rap solo was awesome and that was the coolest WID solo ever. There are highlights for sure, I just dont like the live show over all right now. Also, this is the only time I would ever say I was dissapointed in them, literally ever. I just prefer their normal live shows over this. It's just my opinion. I'll still be paying for my ticket, in front of the crowd, and singing along every word at Carnivores Tour even if they don't change it up. I was just concerned is all. :)

*facepalm* This fanbase. I can't even.

What the fuck do you think would happen if they started playing more full-length songs? They'd go back to playing New Divide, Papercut, Lost in the Echo, etc. in full (MAYBE A Light That Never Comes), and to keep the show the same length, the first thing they'd drop would be With You, Runaway, Crawling, and probably stuff like Joe's solo spot and the Blackout/Robot Boy interludes. Then guess what? We'd be RIGHT back to the same old "they always play the same songs!" complaining that people have been doing for the last 10 fucking years.

I applaud Linkin Park for somehow still having the collective morale to even bother going out on tour anymore (or maybe they just do it for the money, who really knows). If I were them, I'd say fuck it, pull a Beatles, and become a studio-only band, because they clearly cannot satisfy people in their fanbase when it comes to putting together a setlist. They could go out and play for 3 hours a night and people would find SOME reason to say the show sucks. "They didn't play QWERTY! Fuck them!"

This guy. Thank you.

I'm totally fine with shorter versions of songs that I've seen before to make room for other stuff. I've seen especially Papercut, New Divide and Crawling often enough. I personally think they should drop the entire Crawling and ND part because that sounded just horrible. It sucks for the Europeans that they never got to hear the full LITE so far but i think the short version works pretty well.

I think the set pretty much sums up everything they've done in the past: Old and new songs, DJ stuff, Recharged/Reanimation ravy parts of the show, Mike solo with rapping and Fort Minor, Rob's drum solo.

They're still having a lot of technical glitches with the new gear. Not convinced triggering all the effect changes for the entire band from one giant Ableton Live session was a good idea. Joe in particular seems to have issues with samples not working correctly on like every other song.

WID solo is definitely a highlight, although I liked the Tucson one better.

My favorite parts of the set:

1. The entirety of "Act II" with the exception of the Ballad Medley is just brilliantly put together. Probably my favorite "block" of a set they've done in a long time.
2. Robot Boy > Joe's solo.
3. Mike's solo.
4. THE SCREENS. Holy fuck. They didn't have those at Tucson, so that was a surprise. The way it's set up reminds me a lot of the "towers" Muse had on their stage a few years ago. Sucks that you can't see Joe and Rob very well for a big chunk of the show, but still a great way to refresh the X-shaped stage they've been using for ages.
5. WID > BIO. As many times as these songs have closed shows, I feel like the changes they've made to them on this tour really make them feel like they "belong" at the end. Rob is fucking MURDERING the drums on his solo now.

My biggest complaint with the set? I don't think the Requiem/Catalyst mashup really works as an intro to the show. It's kind of meandering and forgettable. I'd rather them just play The Requiem normally or something, that was a hell of an intro that got everyone pumped up.

Edited by Astat

So yeah Mike really did pass out some CD's. Now I guess we're playing the waiting game tonight or wait until Sunday. Btw the show was great, I like the short stuff because it adds more creativity & more of everything. It always gives a taste of every album.

4. THE SCREENS. Holy fuck. They didn't have those at Tucson, so that was a surprise.

It's surprising you really thought the stage setup they had at a random one-off radio gig would be similar to European big ass festival ones. Looked really good visually obviously!:)

I think with 5 really different albums that the band will never be able to satisfy everyone. But I'd rather than put out diverse and interesting music and sacrifice maybe not having one of my favorite songs on the set list. I bet if I polled the last 5 people to comment on what the perfect set list is then I'd get t different answers and I think that's great that we can still all love the band!

As for the shorten stuff, with the exception of crawling which might be too short, the rest were fine for me. Though I will say that's probably because I've seen them multiple times before.

I love this set list and hope they get back to their more polished live shows. Also the visuals were gorgeous!

They're still having a lot of technical glitches with the new gear. Not convinced triggering all the effect changes for the entire band from one giant Ableton Live session was a good idea. Joe in particular seems to have issues with samples not working correctly on like every other song.

It sometimes felt like that this was stuck for a split moment of the beginning of some of the songs. Sometimes you heard like a half second, then nothing then it came back on.

Re-watched Until It's Gone, and I realized that the embarrassingly bad-sounding screwup on the NMS guitar part wasn't actually Brad's fault. He's using the EBow there, and you can hear it working just fine for the first few notes. When it gets messed up, the camera happens to pan right over to Brad, and you can see that he's still playing the correct notes with his left hand. The EBow malfunctioned somehow, not really sure how that happened as it's such a simple device, maybe the battery in it was dead or something. He tossed the EBow away after a few seconds and played the rest of the intro with a pick, which didn't sound quite "right" but at least it was passable.

I did notice that when the camera shifted over to him, he seemed pretty frustrated with the EBow. Good thing he picked up on it quickly and salvaged it, because that at least sounded decent.