A LIGHT THAT NEVER COMES (trailers)

Qwerty95k

Artwork is pretty cool:

Posted Image

Also, Mike and Steve interview with Billboard:

The morning after a few thousand Japanese fans heard “A Light That Never Comes” for the first time -- in between dancing, riding inflatable rafts and waving 'CAKE ME!' signs -- CODE caught up with Aoki and Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda in the more serene surroundings of a five-star hotel. While the Los Angeles-based musicians can't quite place where they first crossed paths (“Was it Twitter?” Shinoda wonders), they now have a familiar rapport.

When did you decide you had to work together on something?

Shinoda: The beginnings of this song was probably six months to a year ago.

Aoki: It was about building this bridge between our two worlds and doing it in an organic way. We’ve stayed true to both our elements. Our fans in the EDM space and the Linkin Park space can gravitate towards it naturally.

Shinoda: There was a balance aspect. In my process writing a song, I tend to add a lot of elements and sounds, remove them, then add more, until I get the vibe I like. On this, I don’t want to trample on some of the work Steve did. We found that out on our first two records. There are actually a lot of keyboard and sample-based sounds on “Hybrid Theory” and “Meteora,” but in the mix they got drowned out by the guitars. Since then, I think we’ve paid more attention to balance as we go through the whole process, from the writing to the engineering.

Aoki: I always add a lot. Mike’s the one to say, let’s take some layers out to make this work. For me, it was a major learning process. It’s hard for me to gauge certain things when I just work with other dance producers. Working with the band allowed this different color palette to come out that I would’ve never heard before. I took this one much differently than I would on any other record.

Mike, what's been your take on EDM's watershed moment in America right now?

Shinoda: It makes me sound old to say this, but I went raves when I was in high school and that was back when it was like, The Prodigy and Fatboy Slim had just come out. People were like, “Holy shit, this is amazing!” My best friend in college was a gabber, techno and jungle DJ. That’s how far back I go. Admittedly, I’m not immersed in it, so I just get little touches of it here and there.

I love what’s happening right now. It’s stepped into the spotlight and then gone in so many directions, like Avicii doing basically a folk song. I’ve spoken to other artists too who are taking it in almost a metal direction. That’s so dope. It’s co-mingling with so many other things. For me, what always transcends any genre or movement is songwriting. When these producers start to understand the craft of writing a song, that’s when they’re going to completely take over.

Aoki: There’s a big gaping hole in the EDM space for songwriting. It’s one thing to learn how to be a great sound designer, and become big just on sound design. Especially if you’re in the dubstep category, it’s like how much fatter and more interesting can you make those drops. Skrillex is the perfect example of an artist who can actually mix those two really well, with great songwriting and interesting sound design, that’s the next evolution of breaking down any sort of boundaries.

Shinoda: Talking about sound design, I had a chance to speak to [musician/producer] Amon Tobin. I was trying so hard to pick his brain. Like, how do you make those sounds? What are you using? The truth of the matter is, he’s using the most techy, nerdy shit that they literally use to design sound for film. It takes years to even comprehend. I was listening like, “OK, this tells me I will never have the patience or whatever it takes to do that.” That’s why collaboration to me is so much more interesting, because I realized there are guys out there who are thrilled to devote 24 hours on a weird thing I would never be able to focus on. I’m not going to try to imitate or recreate that. I brought that mentality to this project. Let’s let Steve be Steve, and preserve as much of that as possible.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy autotune on Chester. Not a fan. Or vocal effect. Something. Whatever is on his voice at 0:29 makes him sound like a robot. Damn.

My problem with LP Recharge is...what the hell happened to 8 Bit Rebellion? The band promised all these updates and upgrades, new stuff in the game, etc and nothing ever happened. And now here's another game. They were SO adamant on "oh yeah get 8BR...there's a song in it and we'll be working on updates for it for quite a while to come."

I wonder if dubstep stuff like this is the direction of the music after LIVING THINGS.

I wonder if dubstep stuff like this is the direction of the music after LIVING THINGS.

They will add some elements of dubstep here and there, but not as direction. If they will do it everybody will say that they're copying from Korn.

I'd be all for it if they do it as badass as Muse did it.

Agree with everything you said. They're going to reject one game after the other lol.

"There are actually a lot of keyboard and sample-based sounds on “Hybrid Theory” and “Meteora,” but in the mix they got drowned out by the guitars."

Really interesting quote from Mike here, and something that not nearly enough people pick up on. Nice work finding that Soul.

I don't understand why everyone is getting so frightened by Chester's vocal effects. It's basically an altered harmonic. The effect sounds pretty similar to the layered vocals in Robot Boy and a lot of people loved it then.

Either way, I love the preview and the trailer. I can't wait. I think the vocal effect makes sense, because live, it didn't sound as tight but the effect in the studio version sounds a lot more complete.

Is like Reanimation 2013, nothing new, nothing weird, nothing different.

If you don't like Reanimation, you will not like this song, if you don't like electronic music, you will hate the song, if you like this kind of stuff will be a great song to listen or just one more song to listen in your iTunes.

That's all folks.

To me the first 43 seconds are nothing new. Autotune, effects like Reanimation, ATS or Living Things... ^_^

Edit: Don't forget 8Bit Rebellion, RIP xD

Edited by maik_gianino

"There are actually a lot of keyboard and sample-based sounds on “Hybrid Theory” and “Meteora,” but in the mix they got drowned out by the guitars."

Really interesting quote from Mike here, and something that not nearly enough people pick up on. Nice work finding that Soul.

I have to relisten to HT now and find there sounds :lol: Thank you, sir.

Autotune, effects like Reanimation, ATS or Living Things... ^_^

Why do people keep associating Reanimation with EDM? It doesn't have all the fancy shit like bass drops and other EDM-identifiying things. It's way heavier than any of this crap.

As is the case 9 out of 10 times "eww autotune" comments are thrown around on the Internet...LOL. The effect you people are bitching about is literally almost the EXACT same vocoder-style effect used on Mike's voice in Fallout and Chester's voice on the chorus of Lies Greed Misery. The only difference here is that it's being used on a clean, relatively non-effected vocal track.

Is like Reanimation 2013, nothing new, nothing weird, nothing different.

If you don't like Reanimation, you will not like this song, if you don't like electronic music, you will hate the song, if you like this kind of stuff will be a great song to listen or just one more song to listen in your iTunes.

That's all folks.

To me the first 43 seconds are nothing new. Autotune, effects like Reanimation, ATS or Living Things... ^_^

Edit: Don't forget 8Bit Rebellion, RIP xD

Are you out of your mind?

Reanimation wasnt just a remix album, it had a lot of different shit going on, they put a lot of effort in it

it wasnt just electrnic music, it's a piece of art.

Seriously I can't believe I readed this shit about Reanimation. C'mon that album is YEARS beyond A Light That Never Comes plus those remixes from Living Things.

The studio version of A Light That Never Comes sounds worse than the live version for me. I'm definitely not going to like this song, Chester robotic vocals with Mike raps with too much generic and comercial sounds as the whole EDM scene today, aw man...

Are you out of your mind?

Reanimation wasnt just a remix album, it had a lot of different shit going on, they put a lot of effort in it

it wasnt just electrnic music, it's a piece of art.

Agreed.. Krwlng still moves me.

I think this will be ok. It's not HORRIBLE. It's not amazing either though.

I don't understand the whole buzz about this game. They've been promoting it for so long, with gaps so big people kept forgetting about the whole thing completely and then it's "just" a Facebook game. Tons of people have facebook but once again you are being forced onto something to be able to play it, just like 8bit rebellion with apple. I'm sure they made a good buck on 8bit rebellion.

Maybe it's a marketing scheme but Recharge is a free game right? No one does stuff for free, but what's the point of the whole thing?

Agreed.. Krwlng still moves me.

I think this will be ok. It's not HORRIBLE. It's not amazing either though.

Quality is what makes a track ageless

Some Reanimation tracks still sound so fresh, so modern

it gave us some awesome gems like KRWLNG, 1 Stp Klosr

and the track that we all cry about because they never play it anymore

P5HNG

I seriously hope the 6th LP album isn't an entire dubstep/EDM album. I might not even be a fan of the band after all these years if they do that. The song sounds decent, but only for a one off collaboration. Not the DJ Fresh shit and all that. As long as this doesn't interfere with the new Linkin Park music for the 6th album, I'm cool with it. I like Chester's vocals in this song, as well as the effects. Not a big fan of Mike's rapping. Meh. Chester > Mike anyday. Decent sounding track, though. Will be cool when we get the final version.

Even though I don't like Electronic music or anything like that, I just love this song! Okay, so there's an autotune on Chester's voice and this is not like anything we heard from LP before, but try to ignore all of that and you will see what a great song it is. And if you don't like what you've heard so far, wait for the full studio version to judge it.