Overall: 8.1/10

Pretty good album overall. ATS>LT=HT>M=MTM

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just like ATS, LP wanted to make that kind of album as well. I don't see how you can blame Rick for this. Anyways, Rick is a fucking legendary, amazing producer. He was definitely what LP needed, if it were not for him and their change in sound, LP would probably not be here today.

I said what I did, because I read somewhere that Rick deleted anything of theirs that sounded like their 'nu-metal' stuff. If they were writing nu metal and it was from the heart, that still has more emotion in it than a forced change of sound simply to improve 'other skills'. If I have anything to cherish from MTM and ATS, it's Living Things. I love this new album and I know that they wouldn't have been able to really get there without those two albums.

Can't for the life of me remember my old username to this site as I haven't been on since ATS being released (was LPRocker88 on LPU for those you who go a bit back).

I am really impressed with LT, and let me tell you I was a big skeptic. I am one of those "Hybrid Theory was the best album in the world" people, so when ATS came out I was one of those fans who lost most hope. But I am glad to say after 5-6 plays of LT I have regained my love for Linkin Park. Granted some of the songs are kinda wtf out there, some are completely amazing. I could listen to Lost in the Echo and I'll Be Gone a billion and ten times and be happy.

I feel exactly the same. Old hardcore HT-era fan, and now I'm really enjoying almost half of LT!

After a dozen listens or so, I am ready to do a 180 and say I love the album. It starts to go downhill once Brad's vocals kick in during "Until It Breaks", but not to the point where I dislike any of the songs. I wish they would have ended "Powerless" with a long, badass scream by Chester, but overall it's all good.

Really anxious to see these songs live, and I hope they all get performed at some point or another.

Just WOW!

I'm surprised how LP release BIT and LGM as introduction to LIVING THINGS. Those two songs are my two less favs on the record. My list is follow:

SKIN TO BONE

LOST IN THE ECHO

IN MY REMAINS

UNTIL IT BREAKS

ROADS UNTRAVELED

CASTLE OF GLASS

I'LL BE GONE

VICTIMIZED

TINFOIL-POWERLESS

BURN IT DOWN

LIES GREED MISERY

My list may change after a few more weeks.

I said what I did, because I read somewhere that Rick deleted anything of theirs that sounded like their 'nu-metal' stuff. If they were writing nu metal and it was from the heart, that still has more emotion in it than a forced change of sound simply to improve 'other skills'. If I have anything to cherish from MTM and ATS, it's Living Things. I love this new album and I know that they wouldn't have been able to really get there without those two albums.

Rick didn't tell them not to make nu-metal or songs that sounded like Linkin Park. The band did that on their own. Rubin just suggested that they try different things to see what sounded best before deciding on a final direction for a song (like trying rapping over Hands Held High for example).

Rick didn't tell them not to make nu-metal or songs that sounded like Linkin Park. The band did that on their own. Rubin just suggested that they try different things to see what sounded best before deciding on a final direction for a song (like trying rapping over Hands Held High for example).

Hm.. my mistake then. I still stand by what I said though in terms of how it felt emotionless. I imagine them focusing too much on changing their sound probably had a lot to do with that. Living Things felt like they harnessed everything they learned and wrote from the heart again instead of wondering if it sounded too much like their 'old stuff' and forced themselves to change it.

Just WOW!

I'm surprised how LP release BIT and LGM as introduction to LIVING THINGS. Those two songs are my two less favs on the record. My list is follow:

SKIN TO BONE

LOST IN THE ECHO

IN MY REMAINS

UNTIL IT BREAKS

ROADS UNTRAVELED

CASTLE OF GLASS

I'LL BE GONE

VICTIMIZED

TINFOIL-POWERLESS

BURN IT DOWN

LIES GREED MISERY

My list may change after a few more weeks.

100% don't think Skin To Bone could ever top the list for me, though now I've listened over more times it seems to have got less and less repetitive (well it still is a bit) but it's become more interesting. it's not a bad song, it's not one i won't listen to, just not as much as the others I think.

Anyway my original point was that I completely agree, Skin to Bone is my least favourite track at the moment and then burn it down and lies greed misery just don't seem as good.

as i said before, castle of glass is in my head and has been since the leak. amazing song. new favourite song.

in my remains and lost in the echo are in my head.

i'll be gone - best song that will turn into an anthem i've heard in a long time, possibly ever.

powerless - very emotional song, fit around my life pretty well atm to be honest but that's not the point, it's just really strong and heartfelt...

as is roads untravelled.

until it breaks i actually love, mikes dissing is so good and when i listen to it over it sounds more like a complete song rather than multiple unfinished ones, same with victimized, the more i listen, the more the pieces fit.

tinfoil... as everyone else said, intro to powerless...

favourite album so far...

order?

LT

HT

ATS = M

MTM

short but sweet, my lights are blown and i have work in 3 hours so im going to bed.

peace.

After the massive failure that ATS was for me, I was about to give up hope that I'd ever like a LP album again. MTM was a let down for me as well, not as much as ATS, but nonetheless, a let down.

I went into listening with low expectations:

LOST IN THE ECHO- This is the song I've waited for since Meteora. A perfect song IMO and completely restores my confidence back in the band that they can use their unique blend of energy, loud beats, rapping/screaming and make something new and fresh. It's FM mixed with DBS! 11/10

IN MY REMAINS I really like the chorus and outro. The song comes together nicely at the end, reminds me a bit of Hands Held High at the end. 10/10

I'LL BE GONE Really catchy- I love the lyrics in this one and the overall sound. Really great singing by Chester on this track. 9.5/10

CASTLE OF GLASS It's a good song all-in-all but the intro and building up of the song is a bit too weird for me. It is a grower and I have caught myself singing the lyrics as of late! 8.5/10

VICTIMIZED In your face- kick ass song. I love the old LP style! I just wish Mike has another verse or two thrown in. 9/10

ROADS UNTRAVELED I get a My December vibe from the creative background sounds we hear on this track. I love the harmonies by both Mike and Chester on this one. 10/10

SKIN TO BONE This is probably my least favorite song on the album. The lyrics are a bit shallow and I'm not really digging the vibe that much. Astat compared it to In Between on MTM and I couldn't agree more. It's not bad- but it's the least interesting song on the album. 7/10

UNTIL IT BREAKS The opening of this song makes me think it's just a Mike track which would have been really awesome! A in-your-face aggressive rap song with heavy beats! That would have been amazing. Instead, it turns into a completely different song at the end- almost sounds like a lullaby at the end to me. With that being said, I still like the song as a whole and find it to be an extremely unique song. 9/10

TINFOIL Really great instrumental- It gives me a session kind of vibe. 9/10

POWERLESS- Reminds me a bit of Numb, which is a good thing since that was one of my favorites off of Meteora. I think it'd make a strong single- I really appreciate the sincere lyrics.

9.5/10

LIVING THINGS 9/10. I'm pleasantly surprised I like the cd as much as I do. LP is back and I couldn't be happier about that. They finally washed the bad taste out of our mouths that was ATS. I think the band finally found a happy medium between their older style and newer style. I'm again excited, like I was in 2003, about what's to come next.

A good review from you?? The apocalypse must be near. :lol:

Probably useless info, but the album is now available for streaming again on iTunes.

so looks like today was supposed to be the actual day it was to stream. wonder how many hammers of justice were swung on friday :lol:

I fail to understand how people are so awestruck with this album. The only song that stands out is Castle of Glass, not because it´s particularly good (even though it is in fact the one I enjoy the most for some weird reason), but because it just doesn't fit within the context of the album.

It´s ridiculous how the album is very consciously divided in two. The first 5 songs could very well be one long song with Brad stuck in auto-pilot, then comes Castle of Glass and Victimized, two songs that are completely out of place, specially Victimized that sounds like the product of a SNL gag having a laugh at metal head posers trying to be all hardcore. The remaining 5 songs seem like overworked interludes, all of them.

While listening to Living Things I get the same feeling I got the first time I listened to Meteora. It had it´s moments and a couple of surprises, but they are so few and so scattered away from each other that don't justify the existence of the album as a whole. In the end, they ended up delivering the most forgettable album they have so far.

Has anyone else noticed a little bit of a error (or is it) at 2:56 on Roads Untravelled? Seems like whoever was playing guitar on the track accidentally hit the strings before its cue.

Kinda ruined it for me. Bugs the hell out of me hahaha.

Has anyone else noticed a little bit of a error (or is it) at 2:56 on Roads Untravelled? Seems like whoever was playing guitar on the track accidentally hit the strings before its cue.

Kinda ruined it for me. Bugs the hell out of me hahaha.

YES. I noticed that on the very first listen but the more I listen to it the less it bugs me and sounds okay. I can't tell if it's a mistake...

I wouold say ask at the meet and greets but is that a bit mean?

"Did you leave this mistake on the albums you stupid people?" :P

YES. I noticed that on the very first listen but the more I listen to it the less it bugs me and sounds okay. I can't tell if it's a mistake...

I wouold say ask at the meet and greets but is that a bit mean?

"Did you leave this mistake on the albums you stupid people?" :P

Well I know its not the first mistake on Linkin Park album. I might be wrong but there's a good chance there's at least 1 mistake on every album funny enough. I know a couple on the top of my head.

Well I know its not the first mistake on Linkin Park album. I might be wrong but there's a good chance there's at least 1 mistake on every album funny enough. I know a couple on the top of my head.

True, but I'm not sure one has ever been that noticeable.... has it? Haha. You would have thought though that if it was a mistake, then that's something (DEFINITELY) in this song that they would have noticed in production.

TBH, I don't feel lie it takes anything away from or adds to the song so I don't mind. :)