The LIVING THINGS Leak

lakersfan13

I really liked the album. It's too early to compare it with other abums, but this is definitely Linkin Park at its best. It sounds fresh and most of the experimentation turned out well. I think this is by far the album with the best melodies. Even the weakest track (Until It Breaks for me) has some good melodies. My favorite songs are Castle Of Glass, Lost In the Echo and Powerless, although it's definitely an album I can listen to from beginning to end without skipping any song and that's always a good sign.

I'm not gonna review the songs, but I can give them points:

Lost In The Echo - 10/10

In My Remains - 9/10

Burn It Down - 8/10

Lies Greed Misery - 8/10

I'll Be Gone - 8.5/10

Castle of Glass - 10/10

Victimized - 9/10

Roads Untraveled - 9/10

Skin to Bone - 7.5/10

Until It Breaks - 7/10

Tinfoil - 8/10

Powerless - 10/10

Overall: 9/10.

Good job LP!

Edited by danielpsoad-09

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FYI - Lost in the Echo is my new way of referring to fans asking why LP don't go back to HT or Meteora days.Their whining cries just get Lost in the Echo of their repetitive whining cries from now on.

Seriously fucking love LIVING THINGS!

Most of the conscious fans don't bother LP not returning to the HT/Meteora era.. The problem most fans had (at least those that I've spoken with) is that their experimentation did not work.. MtM had no real experimentation they just tried some Alternative Rock and it worked good.. ATS on the other hand had heavy experimentation with electro elements and that's not a bad thing.. There's nothing wrong with trying to change your style.. Some times it is considered mandatory.. The fact that bothered most listeners is that the album is just bad. And that's why most fans wanted them to go back to HT/Meteora style.. 'Cause LP was better at that.. Now, after hearing LT it's clear that the band did a huge progression. They got familiar with the electro beats and composed a pretty straightforward, mature and really good album overall.

Yeah, you will see most fans stop complaining about returning the "old days" 'cause actually their music now is pretty badass..

(I may have some grammatical mistakes and inaccuracies in the post, I'm just too bored to read what I typed again)

Most of the conscious fans don't bother LP not returning to the HT/Meteora era.. The problem most fans had (at least those that I've spoken with) is that their experimentation did not work.. MtM had no real experimentation they just tried some Alternative Rock and it worked good.. ATS on the other hand had heavy experimentation with electro elements and that's not a bad thing.. There's nothing wrong with trying to change your style.. Some times it is considered mandatory.. The fact that bothered most listeners is that the album is just bad. And that's why most fans wanted them to go back to HT/Meteora style.. 'Cause LP was better at that.. Now, after hearing LT it's clear that the band did a huge progression. They got familiar with the electro beats and composed a pretty straightforward, mature and really good album overall.

Yeah, you will see most fans stop complaining about returning the "old days" 'cause actually their music now is pretty badass..

(I may have some grammatical mistakes and inaccuracies in the post, I'm just too bored to read what I typed again)

This is why jakolp is a sensible fan. When people say they didn't like ATS because they didn't like the way it experimented (not the fact that it experimented at all), I can accept and understand that.

Though, I would say that MTM still counted as experimenting with their sound, because LP sure as hell were not "alternative rock" in the early days.

This is why jakolp is a sensible fan. When people say they didn't like ATS because they didn't like the way it experimented (not the fact that it experimented at all), I can accept and understand that.

Though, I would say that MTM still counted as experimenting with their sound, because LP sure as hell were not "alternative rock" in the early days.

Thanks..

Yeah, LP were experimenting with MtM, I was just saying alternative rock is something every listener is familiar with and it would be more accepted in the LP world..

ATS on the other hand.. I already explained it..

Anyone that says "It's electro, I don't like it" and talks about ATS and that's all the arguments he comes up with as why the album "sucks" is just immature..

Everyone should have wide musical horizons and actually know why he/she likes an album, a genre and everything about music in general..

P.S.:

I can explain in paragraphs why I do not like ATS just like someone can do the same thing as to why he likes it..

Just like I said before I hate people saying "I hate it 'cause it's electro" but I also hate it when I hear "I love it 'cause it's LP"

Edited by jakolp

Can't for the life of me remember my old username to this site as I haven't been on since ATS being released (was LPRocker88 on LPU for those you who go a bit back).

I am really impressed with LT, and let me tell you I was a big skeptic. I am one of those "Hybrid Theory was the best album in the world" people, so when ATS came out I was one of those fans who lost most hope. But I am glad to say after 5-6 plays of LT I have regained my love for Linkin Park. Granted some of the songs are kinda wtf out there, some are completely amazing. I could listen to Lost in the Echo and I'll Be Gone a billion and ten times and be happy.

Oh, and now that Brad has busted out of his singing shell - who's next? I'm rooting for Hahn.

ATS on the other hand had heavy experimentation with electro elements and that's not a bad thing.. There's nothing wrong with trying to change your style.. Some times it is considered mandatory.. The fact that bothered most listeners is that the album is just bad. And that's why most fans wanted them to go back to HT/Meteora style.. 'Cause LP was better at that..

This is why jakolp is a sensible fan.

WTF :blink:

I can understand ATS not being your cup of tea, but really? Tossing around your opinion like it has merit and authority is one thing, but...

No, what bothered most listeners is that MTM (It's my least favorite album) and ATS (My Favorite album) were not Hybrid Theory/Meteora. Notice the period at the end of that sentence.

The shock factor from A Thousand Suns really has a lot of you on a high, with all of the delusion and euphoria included... If Living Things came out after Meteora, it would have been the same old b/s like when MTM was released.

You've had the experimentation of MTM and ATS to sort of prepare you all for this. I guarantee, a lot of you would not be on this Living Things high horse had it came out after Meteora... No half of you would be bitching about how different it is, and how the folk crap doesn't work. (Which I think it does, and I love Living Things, for the record)

The thing is, Living Things is so much closer to the LP of old compared to their last two albums, that you will accept it like an alcoholic accepts a good scotch on the rocks.... No questions asked.

Don't hate, just think about it ok? For the record again, I love Living Things.

/RANT

Anyway... As it relates to Living Things.. This album is a grower. It will take a bit of time to grow on me... I already love it, and I find myself humming the melodies and sort of learning the lyrics here and there. This album will be a journey... and I would have it no other way.

Although at this point in time, it still doesn't beat ATS for me.

A Thousand Suns

Living Things

Hybrid Theory

Meteora

Minutes to Midnight

Edited by BlacK0uT

Aww shit son, you know what time it is? Astat's book-sized review time!

LOST IN THE ECHO

Pretty solid opening track, I feel like it could use a bit more of a drawn-out buildup in the intro, but it doesn't sound bad the way it is either. I think this track has my least favorite of Mike's rap parts on the album, with the possible exception of the bridge on BURN IT DOWN. I really like the backing vocals at the end of each verse, and the chorus is really cool too. My biggest gripe with this track is how random the vocal scratching part after the second chorus is. It comes out of nowhere and doesn't really add much to the track in my opinion. Great overall vibe on this track, just some nitpicky things about it that bug me. 7/10

IN MY REMAINS

This is one of my favorites on the album. The really poppy verse vocals threw me off at first, but they provide an excellent contrast with the chorus, which is another really good one. The part where Mike comes in over the military-style snare drum roll makes my hair stand on end, and I love the "one by one" gang vocals that accompany the last chorus. I can definitely see this being a single at some point, and it'll probably be a great live song too. 9/10

BURN IT DOWN

I still think this is a solid song. I like to think of it as "New Divide light," similar style of track, but more concise and with a rap verse added in place of the electronic bridge. Chester really puts in a good performance on this track, and there's a lot of "ear candy" to be found in the instrumental as well. I'm not a big fan of Mike's rap on this track, it's always sounded like they put it in there just for the sake of having a rap part on the first single, regardless of whether or not the song really needed one. 7/10

LIES GREED MISERY

I still stand by my initial opinion of this song, it sounds like Mike had a couple decent verses and a somewhat interesting musical idea that amounted to maybe a minute and a half's worth of a song, so they brought in Chester to take a big, angsty shit all over it just for the sake of not having two "full" songs on the album that clocked in at under 2 minutes. I see this song as a cross between Wretches and Kings and Bleed it Out, it has a lot of musical similarities to the former, but tries to pull off the "death party vibe" of the latter, but it doesn't do either one particularly well. This song's biggest redeeming quality is that it surprisingly translated well to live performances. 4/10

I'LL BE GONE

Okay, there HAS to be an intentional connection to When They Come For Me on this song. I wondered that when I first saw the song title, but kind of shrugged it off as a coincidence. But seriously, try singing any of the singing parts from WTCFM (either the "ahh-ahh" chorus or the "oh, when they come for me" part in the bridge) over the chorus to this song - they fit PERFECTLY. If that's a coincidence, it's a mind-blowing one. Anyway, I like this song quite a bit. I was kind of disappointed in how subtle Owen Pallett's string contributions wound up being, I was anticipating more epic-sounding, Breaking the Habit-esque stuff. I feel like the last chorus could've gone on a bit longer and kicked the song up one more notch, the way the song ends just seems a little sudden. Overall a cool-sounding song, but it doesn't have anything about it that really jumps out at me enough to call it a GREAT song. 7.5/10

CASTLE OF GLASS

I was kind of surprised by this one, I should really learn to stop paying attention to pre-album reviews of songs, because in the case of this song, they weren't even CLOSE. "Americana?" "Campfire song?" Seriously? It amazes me how some people can be this far off and hold down a job in the music journalism industry. A line like "take me down to the riverbend" doesn't make a song folk, and the presence of an acoustic guitar doesn't make a song a campfire song, kthx. Anyway, pretty cool song that starts off with an eerie electronic vibe, but winds up in alternative/pop punk territory by the time it's over. I really like the unison vocals by Mike and Chester in this song, they really blend well on this one. It amazes me how far LP's come with their vocal arrangements as their career has progressed, and this song is a great example of that. 8/10

VICTIMIZED

This song is a minute and fifty seconds of total WTF-ness...in a relatively good way. The drums on this track kick all kinds of ass, I really look forward to watching Rob play this track live. Really curious what that garbled voice at the beginning is saying too, it sounds like someone talking through a megaphone about how they want Linkin Park to go back to their roots? If that's the case, I think it's a brilliant musical bitch-slap to all the people who want to hop in a time machine and go back to 2003. I think my favorite part of this song is the singing part Mike has at the beginning, it has this vibe that comes across like he's playfully mocking/gloating to someone who really deserves to get their ass kicked right before karma finally catches up to them. I would normally facepalm at vocal parts like the one Chester has in this song, but I can't really think of anything else that would better suit this song. The inclusion of the rap verse really leaves me scratching my head, but it definitely helps make this song fit the whole "cram the entire Linkin Park style into a song under two minutes" tag that the band seems to have put on it. I honestly can't decide whether this song is filler or totally fucking brilliant...I think LP has finally done a song that I can't quite wrap my head around, so I have to give them credit for that. 7/10 (I'm giving it an average rating for neutrality's sake - I could look at this song one way and rate it as a 3/10, or look at it another way and give it a perfect 10/10. It's THAT weird.)

ROADS UNTRAVELED

I love the chime-like sounds that this song is built around. This might be LP's best ballad yet. I can honestly say this track gives me a lump in my throat at certain points, and I'm not a person who tends to get emotionally affected by music. I feel like the lack of a real chorus on this song might hurt this song a bit in the eyes of some (LP just did a "wordless chorus" with When They Come For Me on their previous album, after all), but I feel like the verses on this song say a lot, and sometimes it's best not to add words just for the sake of adding words. This is definitely one that I'll be playing a lot. 9/10

SKIN TO BONE

Cool instrumental vibe on this song that sets it apart from most of the rest of the album, but I feel like this is one of the weaker tracks on here. I really like Mike's bassy singing voice on the first verse, but I could take or leave a lot of the rest of the track. The second verse has some REALLY cheesy lyrics - "Right to left/left to right, Night to day/day to night?" Really? Did LP decide to write a song based around an elementary school-level exercise on what opposites are? Sheesh. I feel like this is the In Between of this album, it's a song that sounds cool and doesn't necessarily "suck," but it doesn't really seem to go anywhere. Just seems like filler to me...but I still like it more than LIES GREED MISERY. 6/10

UNTIL IT BREAKS

I can definitely tell that this song was made up of a few different demos. Mike's best rapping on the album is on this track, but I'm really disappointed that he returned to his obsession with the phrase "like that," a.k.a. 80% of the reason I don't listen to Fort Minor anymore. The tempo change leading into the "Apaches verse" after Chester's part is interesting, it sounded really abrupt the first time I listened to it, but it actually works pretty well now that I've analyzed it a bit more. I really love the contrast between the lo-fi, underground rap sound of Mike's parts, the calm piano ballad style of Chester's part, and the symphonic quality of Brad's part at the end. And how about Brad, by the way? I knew he had a decent voice, but I would've expected both Phoenix and Joe to get a lead vocal part on an album before he did. He actually sounds really good, even on the layered harmonies. I'm curious to see how he'll handle this song when/if the full version is played live. I really don't have anything bad to say about this song, but I bet a lot of people won't like it based on how it jumps between the different parts. 8/10

TINFOIL

So, we're back to the Foreword/Don't Stay tactic of splitting one song into two parts to make the album look like it has more songs than it does, huh? This is the intro to POWERLESS, nothing more. Cool instrumental vibe that continues into the following song...I have a feeling the only reason they made this a separate track was to save themselves the trouble of having to make a radio edit version of POWERLESS when it's inevitably released as a single in conjunction with that stupid Abe Lincoln vampire movie. Completely unnecessary. 2/10

POWERLESS

Pretty "meh" way to end the album, in my opinion. It's a rather predictable and (surprise) movie soundtrack-esque track. It's a really nice instrumental, particularly starting in the second verse. Also some really nice vocal harmonies on this one, but they aren't enough to redeem the song. The whole thing just sounds really forced to me. It's bland enough that I really can't think of much more to say...which kind of bothers me, usually I'm better at picking out little things about songs that I like and dislike, but this whole track just bores me. 5/10

Final score: 79.5/120, which works out to like 6.6/10, but that doesn't necessarily reflect my overall view of the album. Since TINFOIL and LIES GREED MISERY really brought down the overall rating, I'm gonna say I look at the album as an overall 7.5/10. Good, with some really great moments and some not-so-great ones. I'm just thankful that it didn't end up sounding like 2012's version of Meteora, which I was honestly worried about for a while.

Ranking the 5 albums is tough for me. I definitely like Meteora the least, and Hybrid Theory/A Thousand Suns are pretty close competitors for my favorite. Minutes to Midnight and Living Things are obviously at spots 3 and 4 then, but I'm not sure which one would go where.

No, what bothered most listeners is that MTM (It's my least favorite album) and ATS (My Favorite album) were not Hybrid Theory/Meteora. Notice the period at the end of that sentence.

I didn't like MTM and ATS because it was quite obvious that Rick Rubin was taking a giant shit all over their creativity (per their request) and all of the music felt very emotionless.

I can understand ATS not being your cup of tea, but really? Tossing around your opinion like it has merit and authority is one thing, but...

The shock factor from A Thousand Suns really has a lot of you on a high, with all of the delusion and euphoria included... If Living Things came out after Meteora, it would have been the same old b/s like when MTM was released.

You've had the experimentation of MTM and ATS to sort of prepare you all for this. I guarantee, a lot of you would not be on this Living Things high horse had it came out after Meteora... No half of you would be bitching about how different it is, and how the folk crap doesn't work. (Which I think it does, and I love Living Things, for the record)

The thing is, Living Things is so much closer to the LP of old compared to their last two albums, that you will accept it like an alcoholic accepts a good scotch on the rocks.... No questions asked.

Don't hate, just think about it ok? For the record again, I love Living Things.

/RANT

Anyway... As it relates to Living Things.. This album is a grower. It will take a bit of time to grow on me... I already love it, and I find myself humming the melodies and sort of learning the lyrics here and there. This album will be a journey... and I would have it no other way.

Although at this point in time, it still doesn't beat ATS for me.

A Thousand Suns

Living Things

Hybrid Theory

Meteora

Minutes to Midnight

You got me all wrong.. I realized that it seemed a bit objective what I wrote about ATS at first that why afterwards I wrote

I can explain in paragraphs why I do not like ATS just like someone can do the same thing as to why he likes it..

Just like I said before I hate people saying "I hate it 'cause it's electro" but I also hate it when I hear "I love it 'cause it's LP"

Really, if you want I can explain in a big article why I do not like ATS and what is wrong with it..........

I love bands experimenting with their sound... I really do.. My favorite bands have done it at least once..

Anyways.. That's a big discussion we may have..

Edited by jakolp

I love the whole album i think that Victimized is pointless i dont really like it right now

Until It Breaks is cool but it feels like a mashup of 3 songs i would love to have a full Brad song

the rap is so cool but when you get into the chorus it gets awkward.

There really isn't a chorus in UIB... My favorite thing about that song is the fact that it's some demos mashed together. I love the awkwardness of it.

I didn't like MTM and ATS because it was quite obvious that Rick Rubin was taking a giant shit all over their creativity (per their request) and all of the music felt very emotionless.

Sorry, but I don't agree with that. LP really wanted to change their sound in the harshest way on MTM, and Rick didn't have control over what music LP made. He simply said ''If you are going to continue making the same music as HT and Meteora, I don't want to work with you'' which in unison the band said ''Good, because if you told us to make the same music as HT and Meteora we wouldn't want to work with you either''. LP is responsible for their change in sound on that album. It's the farthest away from the original LP sound than any other LP album to this day, IMO. Chester has that whole ''fuck nu-metal, I hate all nu-metal bands'' attitude during that phase as well. You can't blame Rick.

Just like ATS, LP wanted to make that kind of album as well. I don't see how you can blame Rick for this. Anyways, Rick is a fucking legendary, amazing producer. He was definitely what LP needed, if it were not for him and their change in sound, LP would probably not be here today.

EDIT: Anyways, I'm going to explain why I do not like ATS very much, once and for all. Firstly, it's not that I hate ATS. I actually kind of like it, but compared to other LP releases, it's definitely my least favorite. I love a couple of tracks from it, BITS and Blackout, but the rest I could really do without LP ever playing again. I don't like how they were originally going to make a concept record and then half way through said they no longer were going to make one, and then towards the end of the ATS cycle they said it was ''somewhat of a concept album''. It seems like a half assed attempt at a concept album to me. I don't like that the song structures are not radio friendly, because IMO, that doesn't work well for LP. I don't think LP are comfortable making ''complex'' music. Watch the documentary, and then watch any other LP making of, including the recent LPTV's. The band seems way more happier during any of those compared to the ATS documentary, where they were kind of at each other's throats at certain points. I also do not like a lot of the lyrics on the album. I personally think the lyrics to The Catalyst fucking suck. The whole ''God bless us everyone'' thing is really cheesy and LP is also not a Christian band, and if they were to become one, I would never listen to LP ever again. Iridescent has some kind of cheesy lyrics, too. I don't like the ''hopefullness'' feel of them. I like my LP lyrics dark. I don't mean shitty Meteora lyric ''dark'', but you get what I mean. That's why I love LT so much, every song has dark lyrics in they're own way. I think the chorus to WTCFM kind of sucks as well, I don't like the vocal style used. I do however love the outro, if they used the outro vocals instead of the chorus vocals, I'd love that song. I really fucking despise WFTE. I always have from the first time I ever heard the song. I can't figure out why I hate it so much, I just really do. A lot. My least favorite LP song, to be honest. I don't like all the interludes and instrumental pieces on ATS either, I can think of a ton of speeches that I'd rather have had LP use. I do however love the Oppenheimer speech, because it was dark, and actually about fucking nuclear destruction in a way, unlike the Savio speech or the MLK speech. I do also love The Requiem, but the rest isn't very good to me. I also think The Messenger belongs on a DBS record on on MTM, not on ATS, it's cool to have that whole electronic and heavy album and then end it with an acoustic track, but it just doesn't work well for LP, IMO. If ATS sounded like I Have Not Begun, Skin To Bone, Until It Breaks, I would FUCKING LOVE THE ALBUM. I don't like the soft singing, ballad type shit they did.

Edited by Geki

If you even remotely follow LP and the behind the scenes stuff, you'll see that Rick Rubin doesn't really impede their progress. It sounds like he'll occasionally check in for pipe dream type questions then leave it to Mike and the guys to figure it out. Rick has produced ever genre under the fucking sun and the biggest names in those genres as well.

If you want to blame a producer, blame Dan Gilmore for overproducing the shit out of LP and partially driving them to abandon Nu-Metal as quick as possible due to caving into pressure for HT2. If it wasn't for him, maybe you'd have your precious 'I want to punch a hole in the wall and cut my wrists' music made by a bunch of guys in their mid 30s...

After the massive failure that ATS was for me, I was about to give up hope that I'd ever like a LP album again. MTM was a let down for me as well, not as much as ATS, but nonetheless, a let down.

I went into listening with low expectations:

LOST IN THE ECHO- This is the song I've waited for since Meteora. A perfect song IMO and completely restores my confidence back in the band that they can use their unique blend of energy, loud beats, rapping/screaming and make something new and fresh. It's FM mixed with DBS! 11/10

IN MY REMAINS I really like the chorus and outro. The song comes together nicely at the end, reminds me a bit of Hands Held High at the end. 10/10

I'LL BE GONE Really catchy- I love the lyrics in this one and the overall sound. Really great singing by Chester on this track. 9.5/10

CASTLE OF GLASS It's a good song all-in-all but the intro and building up of the song is a bit too weird for me. It is a grower and I have caught myself singing the lyrics as of late! 8.5/10

VICTIMIZED In your face- kick ass song. I love the old LP style! I just wish Mike has another verse or two thrown in. 9/10

ROADS UNTRAVELED I get a My December vibe from the creative background sounds we hear on this track. I love the harmonies by both Mike and Chester on this one. 10/10

SKIN TO BONE This is probably my least favorite song on the album. The lyrics are a bit shallow and I'm not really digging the vibe that much. Astat compared it to In Between on MTM and I couldn't agree more. It's not bad- but it's the least interesting song on the album. 7/10

UNTIL IT BREAKS The opening of this song makes me think it's just a Mike track which would have been really awesome! A in-your-face aggressive rap song with heavy beats! That would have been amazing. Instead, it turns into a completely different song at the end- almost sounds like a lullaby at the end to me. With that being said, I still like the song as a whole and find it to be an extremely unique song. 9/10

TINFOIL Really great instrumental- It gives me a session kind of vibe. 9/10

POWERLESS- Reminds me a bit of Numb, which is a good thing since that was one of my favorites off of Meteora. I think it'd make a strong single- I really appreciate the sincere lyrics.

9.5/10

LIVING THINGS 9/10. I'm pleasantly surprised I like the cd as much as I do. LP is back and I couldn't be happier about that. They finally washed the bad taste out of our mouths that was ATS. I think the band finally found a happy medium between their older style and newer style. I'm again excited, like I was in 2003, about what's to come next.

Edited by spraypaintninkpens

After 3 listens, these are my power rankings. I do expect this to change upon further listening.

1. Lost in the Echo

2. Tinfoil + Powerless

3. In My Remains

4. Castle of Glass

5. Burn it Down

6. Lies Greed Misery

7. Victimized

8. I'll Be Gone

9. Roads Untraveled

10. Skin to Bone

11. Until it Breaks

I think I'm the only one here who thinks Lost in the Echo is the weakest song along with Burn it Down.

LITE doesn't really make me feel anything and Mike's first rap line just sounds badly delivered and cringe-worthy.

BID is a good song but meh... doesn't feel too strong unlike the other songs.

With the other songs on the album I feel emotions come off of them and I love it.

Edited by Anality

I'm still surprised at how awesome this record is. I don't dislike a single song, there isn't a single one when I'm thinking "This is LP, I should like it, let's find something positive about it!".

In the pre-release interviews, band members said it's the first time since a while they didn't avoid anything in their music process. I can seriously feel it in the music, there aren't tracks that feel forced or weird for the sake of it. And the folk experimentation is incorporated in such a very good way.

Also, Victimized is the shit. Awesome song. I love the way it goes from Mike soft voice to Chester insane screamings.

Edited by Qwerty18

Not bad the new album, it contains some very amazing song like LGM, Victimized, Burn it down, some good track like Powerless, I'll be gone, Lost in the echo, some "not-so-good" like UIB, COG, and two very bad songs called Roads Untravelled and Skin to Bone. I think I will buy the album because of the cool and good songs, they deserv the purchasing; till then I bought the concert from Bucharest. :)