Quick question? Ask here!

DecanoLP

What's the deal with the autotune on Chester's voice during GATS? I wasn't aware they use it live since I've seen many performances where Chester and Mike can be out of tune at times, but even if they did, it was never this noticeable and horrible sounding. It's not even set in the right key either.

My understanding of it is that they started using it on certain songs/parts of songs at some point during the Living Things tour. I first became suspicious of this when Chester's tone randomly started sounding totally different on the Ballad Medley midway through the tour, and his singing on that track became a lot more consistent. I think they may have started using it on Numb around the same time as well. Up until this point though, it's been pretty transparent, ikely because they were only using it on more melodic, clean singing-based songs. GATS is a lot more aggressive, the raspiness Chester uses on heavier songs like that can confuse the Auto Tune plugin when used in a live environment - you can overdrive a microphone just like an amplifier if you sing into it loudly enough, and the subsequent distortion creates harmonic overtones which can confuse the plugin since it's designed to be monophonic (it only tracks one note at a time). There's one REALLY bad Auto Tune glitch during GATS at Rock Am Ring, I forget where it is but it jumps all over the place for a split second as one of Chester's words is trailing off. On top of that, there's the issue with the key/scale not being set right to account for the C# notes Chester sings in the chorus, which results in them being "snapped" up to a D and sounding really weird.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any other songs where he uses autotune?

And, by the way, I'm still confused about the GATS autotune. Why do they use it there, the verses are extremely simple, it's not like they're very demanding and impossible to hit.

I'm sure there are more moments in the show where Chester and/or Mike use Auto Tune, but they definitely aren't using it on everything.

Your guess is as good as mine on GATS, no clue why Chester needs it on the verses. Only thing I can think of is they're using it more for the chorus and just leaving it on throughout the song for simplicity's sake.

Edited by Astat

• 4 weeks later...

How did the band decide how many hits they would do after Points of Authority at every show from 2007 through 2009? Did they just decide on the spot or did they just decide before the show and expect everyone to remember?

Decided on the spot by Brad, who would let Rob and Phoenix know via hand signals during the song. There are a couple videos where you can see him doing it.

What year did LP stop selling DSP's at the merch booth? I bought one at the Mansfield 2007 show but that was the only time I ever even asked about it. Was it 2012?

I remember getting them from merch booths in Europe for Projekt Rev 2011, but they were gone for the 2012 summer festivals.

I remember getting them from merch booths in Europe for Projekt Rev 2011, but they were gone for the 2012 summer festivals.

Ahh.. so it probably was 2012 when they stopped selling them at the merch booth. Thanks!

This will be my 1st time experiencing early entry which I cannot wait for and my question is do you guys think arriving at the venue 2hrs before the show should be plenty of time to get barricade as I've waited for 7/8hrs for past shows and my other question is since there's going to be a lounge for fan club members does anyone know if we can leave from there to make our way to the barricade or do we have to go back to the early entry lpu line? Many thanks!

You really need to learn to use punctuation.

I don't have any personal experience with early entry but I guess it depends on how many lpu members will be there waiting in line. Never underestimate the crazyness of European fans, I'm sure some people even show up super early for early entry. Just look at the M&G entry numbers for your show and it will easy this many LPUers at your show if not more that will probably makes use of the EE.

The lounge thing is completely new, you have to wait for more info before and during the Carnivores tour how this actually works.

You really need to learn to use punctuation.

I don't have any personal experience with early entry but I guess it depends on how many lpu members will be there waiting in line. Never underestimate the crazyness of European fans, I'm sure some people even show up super early for early entry. Just look at the M&G entry numbers for your show and it will easy this many LPUers at your show if not more that will probably makes use of the EE.

The lounge thing is completely new, you have to wait for more info before and during the Carnivores tour how this actually works.

I'll work on that. Yeah that's true, guess we'll have to wait till the US tour to see what the script is with the lounge etc

• 1 month later...

hi guys i want just to know what is mean SBD and FLAC ?

FLAC is a lossless audio format. The quality is usually better than mp3.

SBD = "Soundboard". This means the audio is a professional recording.

Some examples:

- officially released shows (Live In Texas, Road To Revolution, Hybrid Theory Live at Download, ...)

- audio ripped from TV broadcasts (Rock Am Ring 2004, Live 8, ...)

- radio broadcasts (Rock Am Ring 2014, Berlin 2012, Madrid 2008, ...)

- webcasts (Orlando 2000, Kevin and Bean Breakfast Show 2007, ...)

Some examples:

- officially released shows (Live In Texas, Road To Revolution, Hybrid Theory Live at Download, ...)

Is there a list out there somewhere of every known SBD recording for LP?

guys i know the hybrid theory live released but til now i didn't received any e-mail to download it ? what i do ?

Some examples:

I appreciated for the answer and i'll grateful if i can find some of them from 2007 - 2012 ?