Quick question? Ask here!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I also always thought BITS sounded like the most "MTM-like" track on ATS as well..."

My recent theory is that (hear me out) maybe they had worked on BITS during MTM, and that is when the song idea was conceived and everything, but it was scrapped for some unknown reason and replaced with What I've Done. If I recall, What I've Done was the last song finished for the album. They both have the same chord progression, maybe they decided on which to choose so they don't have two eerily similar songs? And threw BITS into the pot for the following album. Just my opinion/question.

Edited by BrandonYancar

I actually never thought of the fact that WID was written last minute for the album, most likely after they chose the 17 track that would make the album. Maybe we are actually missing 2 tracks that would make up the 17 track original idea?

So I always questioned the "17 songs" as being the definitive number of tracks that were recorded for MTM, as every time I saw it mentioned was from fans. Turns out, I was probably right to think that:

http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/archiv...hp/t-23006.html

http://www.linkinparkforums.com/showthread.php?t=13578

The 17-song quote comes from an October 2006 interview that says they had narrowed things down to "17-ish" songs. That was still 3 months before final tracking was complete, and a while before What I've Done would have been brought into the mix. Of those "17-ish" songs, we have no way of knowing which ones were ultimately "finished" over the next 3 months, or exactly how many songs "17-ish" even was. And reading through those two threads following the initial quote, as usual, people took it and ran with it, and now we somehow have "Linkin Park recorded 17 songs for Minutes to Midnight and 12 made the album" as an assumed "fact" 7 years later.

There may be more Minutes to Midnight b-sides, there may not be. And if there are, there could be more than one. The bottom line is, we don't know EXACTLY how many songs from the Minutes to Midnight sessions reached "fully recorded and mixed" stage. It could be anywhere from 16 to 18 or 19.

Edited by Astat

It's interesting that you say that about vague/misinterpreted info turning into

"facts". Just like it somehow turned into a "fact" that the band played over 300 shows within a year or that they recorded over 150 songs for MTM.

Thanks Astat, nice find. We might actually even have the MTM b-sides. ATL, NRL, WWDK & Blackbirds might have been the other tracks, possibly Qwerty, it may have still been considered in October of 2006 and when they started narrowing stuff down, decided to give it to us through LPU in December of 2006. But as you said, it could be anywhere from 16, 17, 18 or even 19 tracks as far as b-sides go. Maybe we can finally lay this whole ''complete MTM tracklist'' to rest now. I think we would have probably got the 'fina' MTM b-sides on LPU11, LPU12 or LPU13 if it were there, anyways.

Edited by Geki

I have never heard it until today. Pretty cool.

lol @ the comments. So easy to tell that this is very similar to Plaster.

It basically is Plaster, minus the bridge vocal samples in the intro.

I remember that I used to have a photo saved in my LP library of LP back in the day (like 1999) with Kyle Christener in the pic and Chester without the flame tattoos, they were sitting on a stairwell. Anyone have this pic?? Can't seem to find it anywhere!

Edited by Geki

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any official release where the final version of High Voltage is listed as "High Voltage (2000 Reprise)"?

Not as far as I know. High Voltage appears on Hybrid Theory Japanese version as a bonus track, on Hybrid Theory Asian/Australian versions as a bonus track on a separate CD, OSC single, ITE EP and Frat Party DVD - on all of them just as "High Voltage".

I think the 2000 Reprise is just a description to make a different between the two versions since they have exactly the same title. And btw, I think the full "fake" name was "High Voltage (2000 Reprise aka Mr. Hahn Remix)" and later was shortened to just "High Voltage (2000 Reprise)".

I would ask something like this. Actually, I don't know if I can consider the HTEP as a demo version or the B-side version as a reprise of High Voltage.

The same thing goes to other songs in HTEP, as Part of Me and Carousel, but, as the previous versions were released in a "official" EP, while the other versions were in internal CD's, I consider the last ones as reprise versions, IMO.

I generally use Reprise to refer to like a Part 2 of a song, like Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, or even the O song on the new Coldplay CD (but O is called Part 2 I think). For DMB, a reprise at their shows is when they play a song like Lie In Our Graves mid show and then play the 3 min outro/ending by itself in the encore.

"Reprise can refer to a version of a song which is similar to, yet different from, the song on which it is based."

The term can be used pretty loosely in music based on that definition. What you're saying about Carousel and Part Of Me (and And One, which is unreleased) being redone after the HTEP was released in order to enter them in the running for Hybrid Theory....is that a reprise? Is DMB even correct when they use reprise like that instead of using "Ending" or something? I definitely wouldn't call the HTEP Carousel and Part Of Me versions "demos" since they were officially released. If anything, I think the community referred to the redone one as like "Post-HTEP demos" or something.

The High Voltage version was essentially a remix. I'm surprised there is no official name for it since they call both versions (which are totally different) just High Voltage.

The High Voltage version was essentially a remix. I'm surprised there is no official name for it since they call both versions (which are totally different) just High Voltage.

A reason for that could be also that they were basically released under 2 different band names. There's basically Hybrid Theory - High Voltage and the Linkin Park - High Voltage.

I generally use Reprise to refer to like a Part 2 of a song, like Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, or even the O song on the new Coldplay CD (but O is called Part 2 I think). For DMB, a reprise at their shows is when they play a song like Lie In Our Graves mid show and then play the 3 min outro/ending by itself in the encore.

"Reprise can refer to a version of a song which is similar to, yet different from, the song on which it is based."

The term can be used pretty loosely in music based on that definition. What you're saying about Carousel and Part Of Me (and And One, which is unreleased) being redone after the HTEP was released in order to enter them in the running for Hybrid Theory....is that a reprise? Is DMB even correct when they use reprise like that instead of using "Ending" or something? I definitely wouldn't call the HTEP Carousel and Part Of Me versions "demos" since they were officially released. If anything, I think the community referred to the redone one as like "Post-HTEP demos" or something.

If it were the Part 2 of the EP version the band would have labeled it "High Voltage Part 2" or something like that.

I also don't think of it as a remix because it was never referred to as being a remix. It isn't labeled as "High Voltage (Remix)" anywhere.

Plus they remixed the 2000 version for Reanimation.

Yeah, the HTEP was an official release, so those are the 'default' versions of the tracks.

Also "And One" and "Part Of Me" were included on Songs From The Underground and weren't labeled as "demo".

If it were the Part 2 of the EP version the band would have labeled it "High Voltage Part 2" or something like that.

I also don't think of it as a remix because it was never referred to as being a remix. It isn't labeled as "High Voltage (Remix)" anywhere.

Plus they remixed the 2000 version for Reanimation.

Also "And One" and "Part Of Me" were included on Songs From The Underground and weren't labeled as "demo".

On the flip side, Step Up WAS referred to as "Step Up (1999 demo)" on all official releases following the HTEP.

I have a hard time finding an appropriate term for the second version of High Voltage. I've always used the term "reprise" to refer to a song/theme from a song that is "brought back" multiple times during one piece of work. For example, Fallout reprises lyrics from Burning in the Skies, or the outro to Time by Pink Floyd is actually a reprise of Breathe (and is even referred to as "Breathe (Reprise)" in the liner notes of Dark Side of the Moon). I don't feel like that term applies to High Voltage because it's a song that was re-recorded as part of a different project than the original version. I also don't consider it a remix, because it doesn't re-use any audio from the original recording. On the flip side, I don't think it's appropriate to refer to anything on the HTEP as a "demo," because the band was already doing a bunch of demos at that time. The tracks on the HTEP were done as a commercial release, albeit a very limited one.

I don't really have a problem with people referring to it as "High Voltage (Remix)" or "High Voltage (Reprise)" or whatever because I know what they're talking about regardless, but the most "correct" term I've come up with is just to refer to it as "High Voltage (2000 Version)." It's a remake of an older song that pretty much stands on its own.

I also feel like for the purpose of the live guide, live performances of High Voltage should be referred to as "High Voltage (Live Version)," as that version even has some substantial differences to the 2000 studio version. I feel like they may have not completely "finished" the recording of the 2000 version once they realized it wouldn't be on the album (I always found it odd that there was hardly any guitar in the studio version but it's all over the live version), and the live version was the arrangement they had originally intended to use. That's just speculation on my part, though.

Edited by Astat