Blackout and Burning In The Skies Live Debut!

[AndOne]

Cool to hear some more new songs live. Sounds great

About BITS, i love it. Is one of my favourite songs on ATS. I love the live version, and the guitar solo is just perfect. I think Mike is better guitarrist than Brad is...

The guitar solo isn't that hard, it's based arround some octaves.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else notice that the 2nd half of the song focuses more on Mike? On the studio version Mike doesn't sing along with Chester until the final "come down"s but live once he starts singing he never stops. Even Chester walks away from the mic and lets Mike finish which I thought was odd cause Chester is the one who closes out the song.

I also don't like the fact that on Burning In The Skies, as well as Waiting For The End and Iridescent, Chester sings too loudly during Mike's parts. I mean I know Mike sounds like crap when he sings live but those are still his parts and I feel like Chester over shadows him too much. All in all I'm a little disappointed to how well ATS has been performed live the past few months. Seems like they really out did them selves with making this album cause they really haven't done any of the songs true justice

Anyone else notice that the 2nd half of the song focuses more on Mike? On the studio version Mike doesn't sing along with Chester until the final "come down"s but live once he starts singing he never stops. Even Chester walks away from the mic and lets Mike finish which I thought was odd cause Chester is the one who closes out the song

Um....it's all Mike on the 2nd half of the album version until Chester JOINS HIM on the final "Come Down"'s. Which is how they did it live.

And oh, I guess I'm the only one who found BiTS better than Iridescent.

For me there's no bad song in ATS, but if i have to arrange them from the best to the worse , out of the 9 full songs - Burning In The Skies is #1 for me, while Iridescent is #8, so you're not alone (:

This is as good as it gets for a LP set in 2010. If they're going to take out "Wisdom Justice & Love" & "Iridescent", "Blackout" & "BITS" are amazing substitutes. The MLK speech is the lowpoint of every DSP, in my opinion. Can't wait to hear the Pooh mixes of these songs, and hopefully they stick around for the US tour next year. Thanks for the vids!

Oh my gosh where do I start, not only did we get Blackout they also played BITS. When I heard Blackout I thought no way would they play BIts as well and when they did the crowd went nuts.

However a little disapointed didn't hear Iridescent and Messenger.

The only low light of the night was there was some idiot near us that was drunk and that ruined it a little bit for us but apart from that it was an amazing show. Thanks LP.

I'm sorry but I hate to see them just pressing buttons all together in Blackout. Everything is sampled,that's not even live music. At least Chester does a good job.

I disagree kinda on that one... But Phoenix should show some more motivation while touching the pads but how should they perform a song which consists almost only out of samples?

Oh my gosh where do I start, not only did we get Blackout they also played BITS. When I heard Blackout I thought no way would they play BIts as well and when they did the crowd went nuts.

However a little disapointed didn't hear Iridescent and Messenger.

The only low light of the night was there was some idiot near us that was drunk and that ruined it a little bit for us but apart from that it was an amazing show. Thanks LP.

I'm sad that Iridescent or BTH didnt make it, but but I'd gladly trade both of those for Blackout.

Sorry to hear that about the drunk person. Back in 08, my wife and I went to a Foo Fighters concert. While we stood up to watch them and the people behind us chose to sit. They got angry at us and poured beer all in my wife's seat. I didn't know about this until after the concert or I would have gotten them thrown out. Hopefully your next concert experience will be better!

+1 for Mike taking the guitar solo in BITS. Brad is probably finger picking during the whole song instead.

yea he is. its probably why mike played the solo. Brad recorded the solo but live mike cant do that finger picking and sing on beat so brad does the rhythm part. this and song and blackout probably took alot of rehearsing to figure only cuz the parts arent so straight forward. really good job in my opinion though i think Brad could of played guitar on Blackout

both sound amazing... well done LP... but chester please SHUT UP when mike sings :P

No he shouldn't. Harmonies makes the verses a lot more interesting (when they work), plus Chester is doing the exact same thing on the record. Why shouldn't he do that live?

I'm sorry but I hate to see them just pressing buttons all together in Blackout. Everything is sampled,that's not even live music. At least Chester does a good job.

Proof of this? Nothing looks sampled to me? It is not tight enough for that.

In my opinion, that is a great and very energic part of the song. You can definitely see that the band loves playing it, compared to some of the old stuff. And it looks and sounds awesome. I don't think they pretend playing anything right now. Now they even play the New Divide bridge live too.

I gotta say that I'm pretty happy with the way they play Blackout live. Better than to have the whole thing as a backing track. And Chester really rocks the fuck out during the glitch section.

Same. Phoenix looks so bored.

Seriously, it's Phoenix. Do you expect him to jump around and headbang while sampling the bassline?

Brad just play the drums in the second part of the song, and Feenux just play the MPC.

Wrong. Brad plays keys on the Virus T1 during the intro, the verses and the choruses. After that, he performs the most amazing drum part of the 21st century. :D

Yeah, definitely looks like Mike's playing the BITS solo and not Brad. Wonder who's got the keyboards? Joe?

It looks like Joe's sampling it like he does it on In The End or Bleed It Out.

RE who plays what on Blackout, I don't think the band have it quite right. As logical as it sounds having Joe doing the vocal samples during the breakdown, he actually needs to be free to be doing the scratches (unless he can do both at the same time). But the only other person who can pull off the sampled bit would be Mike.

Note: This comment is only based on watching the video once. Still a bit unclear exactly what each band member is doing.

Not everyone? All I'm saying is that the ratio of single to non-single songs is relieving in comparison to every other setlist in the last 3 years. Sure they're not songs that would set the stadium on fire like Figure.09 or With You, but let's be real with ourselves here. They're both songs that people have bitched and moaned about for the last 3 months claiming it would make the shows so much more exciting. Now they are here, and people should finally be happy.

EDIT: But they won't be happy, because they'll complain how Papercut, Breaking the Habit, and now Iridescent weren't on the setlist.

Well, IMO its not the best setlist, but I can't complain. Oh wait.... I did not notice until now that BTH was not played. IMo they should NEVER get rid of BTH. But in all reality, that was a great setlist

Oh my god. LP please keep blackout. I NEED TO HEAR IT.

Seriously!

IMO, Blackout sounded better than the studio version! Really good! Also, I do not think BITS was very good. But its still awesome they debuted both of those songs.

Hopefully for Sydney night 2, we will get another special surprise by getting an older song like With You or Figure.09

Blackout was pretty good, I just thought the chorus would be a little bit more, how should I say, screamy? It will get better in time I think. Don't get why the whole breakdown was sampled though.

Burning In The Skies wasn't played very well IMO...but I also think it will get much better in time. Remember how bad LOATR and IP were performed with their debuts? Then they got pretty good. Not so much IP though.

I disagree kinda on that one... But Phoenix should show some more motivation while touching the pads but how should they perform a song which consists almost only out of samples?

Proof of this? Nothing looks sampled to me? It is not tight enough for that.

In my opinion, that is a great and very energic part of the song. You can definitely see that the band loves playing it, compared to some of the old stuff. And it looks and sounds awesome. I don't think they pretend playing anything right now. Now they even play the New Divide bridge live too.

Apparently you missed the part where they were all doing something...

Oh yes you're right, they were all pressing the midi pad together..pretty hard right? The tambourine in the beggining, the bass, the guitar on the breakdown, all sampled, coming out of midi pads. If i miss something, it's LIVE INSTRUMENTS, not samples.

Edited by VavourasLP