Blackout and Burning In The Skies Live Debut!

[AndOne]

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunately the videos don't really do justice to either song - particularly burning in the skies (as i'm sure you've noticed :P)

in my opinion - burning in the skies was played better - but that would make sense since they have apparently been rehearsing it a lot longer than they've been rehearsing blackout.

mate and i were more excited to see blackout - but we definitely noticed a few 'mistakes' - absolutely nothing major, whereas i thought burning in the skies was nearly flawless.

both were great live and i certainly wasn't expecting BitS after confirming that blackout was going to be played!

glad you all enjoyed the videos! i'll try get a better one for you on wednesday night of each.

Lots of unimpressed people as it relates to "Burning in the Skies", but hopefully that's just an internet thing, and it doesn't fall into the "Didn't Work Out Live" trash bin with QWERTY & In Pieces :-/

I liked it. Not as powerful as the album version, but that's what I love about LP. Their live sound is what makes me a fan and I love the rawness to some of their new stuff. So imperfect it's perfect. Don't do drugs.

Lots of unimpressed people as it relates to "Burning in the Skies", but hopefully that's just an internet thing, and it doesn't fall into the "Didn't Work Out Live" trash bin with QWERTY & In Pieces :-/

I liked it. Not as powerful as the album version, but that's what I love about LP. Their live sound is what makes me a fan and I love the rawness to some of their new stuff. So imperfect it's perfect. Don't do drugs.

Imo QWERTY was a pretty damn killer live song \m/

Oh yes you're right, they were all pressing the midi pad together..pretty hard right? The tambourine in the beggining, the bass, the guitar on the breakdown, all sampled, coming out of midi pads. If i miss something, it's LIVE INSTRUMENTS, not samples.

The only acoustic instrument on the studio version is piano... :/

Blackout has a lot of energy, but it is a bit sloppy.

The breakdown got really messy. It isn't sampled by the way. They are playing samples live, but it isn't sampled if that makes sense. It's not just playback.

As for who is doing what, Mike and Joe seem to both be doing their own thing with the vocal samples. Phoenix is playing the bass synth, and Chester is playing the beat on a drum pad.

Mike and Joe weren't really in-sync with each other and it showed. The end of the breakdown just sounded like a bunch of noise. I'm sure that'll just get better after playing it more though.

Oh yes you're right, they were all pressing the midi pad together..pretty hard right? The tambourine in the beggining, the bass, the guitar on the breakdown, all sampled, coming out of midi pads. If i miss something, it's LIVE INSTRUMENTS, not samples.

Then you should have been complaining when Linkin Park first formed as a band. They have been using samples since day one.

You can also argue that they are pathetic for even playing a keyboard, as those are all samples of sounds and not legitimate chords.

Um no its not. Mike comes in at 3:01 after the breakdown and then Chester comes in at 3:29

2nd half of the song starts @

. Chester then JOINS MIKE @
with higher background vocals. They continue together until the final "Come Down" @
that just Mike sings. Just like the live version.

both sound amazing... well done LP... but chester please SHUT UP when mike sings :P

Glad im not the only one who thought that when Mike was singing his verse on BiTS

Would you rather they not do the harmonies live that are present on the album? The first verse in BITS is sung in octave intervals the whole way through (same goes for the outro), and the 2nd verse has an additional harmony part added to it. At no point does Mike sing completely "solo" on the studio recording, there are at least 2 vocal parts at all times in that song.

I'm sorry but I hate to see them just pressing buttons all together in Blackout. Everything is sampled,that's not even live music. At least Chester does a good job.

Rob = Drums = live

Mike = Keyboards = live

Chester = vocals/drums = live

Brad = Keyboards/drums = live

The only 2 people doing "non-live" instruments are Phoenix and Joe, and I guess you could argue the same for the trigger part Chester plays during the glitch breakdown.

Did Mike play the solo??

Yes he did.

yea he is. its probably why mike played the solo. Brad recorded the solo but live mike cant do that finger picking and sing on beat so brad does the rhythm part. this and song and blackout probably took alot of rehearsing to figure only cuz the parts arent so straight forward. really good job in my opinion though i think Brad could of played guitar on Blackout

It's entirely possible that the guitar solo on BITS is Mike on the studio version too, Brad's said that most of the guitar work on ATS was recorded by Mike. I'd imagine the fingerpicked stuff is Brad on the studio version though.

I know have a lot of energy, i agree but is weird that 5 members of the band are in the stage and brad appears after the second half of the song...

It's not like this is the first time members of the band have left the stage for songs or parts of songs. Brad and Phoenix don't come on stage until the last chorus of LOATR. Brad left the stage for Izzo/In the End, Big Pimpin/Papercut, and the first half of Jigga What/Faint when they played them live. Joe leaves the stage for TLTGYA. Rob leaves the stage for In Between.

Um no its not. Mike comes in at 3:01 after the breakdown and then Chester comes in at 3:29

2nd half of the song starts @

. Chester then JOINS MIKE @
with higher background vocals. They continue together until the final "Come Down" @
that just Mike sings. Just like the live version.

If you can't tell that's Chester then I'm not sure what to tell you.

None of you are completely correct. Here's the arrangement of vocals on the studio version of Blackout:

3:01-3:29 - Mike

3:29-3:58 - Mike and Chester (Mike is the louder of the two, but Chester becomes more prominent as this section goes on)

3:58-4:26 - Chester, layered in 3-part harmonies (on the live version, Chester sings the high part, Phoenix sings the middle part, and Mike sings the low part)

4:26-4:34 - Chester (This is the lowest of the 3 harmony parts from the previous section by itself, which is why Mike sings it live - makes more sense for him to sing one more repeat of what he's been singing than for Chester to have to drop down a full octave from the previous line)

4:26-4:34 - Chester (This is the lowest of the 3 harmony parts from the previous section by itself, which is why Mike sings it live - makes more sense for him to sing one more repeat of what he's been singing than for Chester to have to drop down a full octave from the previous line)

That's what I said. It's Chester. I was surprised he couldn't tell.

None of you are completely correct. Here's the arrangement of vocals on the studio version of Blackout:

3:01-3:29 - Mike

3:29-3:58 - Mike and Chester (Mike is the louder of the two, but Chester becomes more prominent as this section goes on)

3:58-4:26 - Chester, layered in 3-part harmonies (on the live version, Chester sings the high part, Phoenix sings the middle part, and Mike sings the low part)

I was right for the most part. I haven't stripped the song down to just vocals but whenever I listen to it I think Chester is the louder of the 2 from the get go at 3:29. I knew for a fact that Mike didn't sing as much as he did live as he did on the studio version. I honestly think Chester should do more of the singing, since he does it on the album, plus Mike doesn't sound quite up to par vocally. I'll hold my true criticism for when I hear a descent version and after a few more times they perform the song.

Edited by AndOne
quote fix

Don't get why the whole breakdown was sampled though.

Me too. I think Chester could've easily done the beginning of the breakdown. It's very strange to hear samples instead of Chester live. I think they'll work this out, this was only their first try.

And Iridescent is > then BITS. I really hope when I see them I get Iridescent. I love that song!

Couple of things.

Blackout

I see Phx is using some sort of sampler to play his bass parts. Its quite interesting how he must trigger it. It would have to be timed perfectly. Kinda looks like a SP-404sx but highly highly HIGHLY doubt it. Wonder what hes using.

As for the break down. I am a little disappointed with that. If I can basically 99.9% do the breakdown myself on my pretty cheap awesome sampler in THIS VIDEO Then the boys should really be able to nail it.

Chester goes fucking mental on the drums, both trigger and toms! I love that energy.

First time the guys did a song where a guitar isnt played live. That is excluding All intervals, LPJZ and Acoustic songs :P

Burning in the Skies

This song didnt have as big of a reaction on me as I though I would. Tho this feeling may change if its played tomorrow night.

But Mike Playing the solo FTW!!!

Rob = Drums = live

Mike = Keyboards = live

Chester = vocals/drums = live

Brad = Keyboards/drums = live

The only 2 people doing "non-live" instruments are Phoenix and Joe, and I guess you could argue the same for the trigger part Chester plays during the glitch breakdown.

I'm beginning to suspect Chester's drum part on the triggers to be fake and sampled. It's only obivous when you keep your eyes on him the entire breakdown. Especially the end. He ends with the same fill that he played earlier, but this time it can't be heard. Plus, he missed that same fill just before. And in the break where he dosn't play, it dosn't look like he comes in at the right spot again. I don't know, I'm not sure yet.

Hard to explain, you guys should go see for yourself.

I'm beginning to suspect Chester's drum part on the triggers to be fake and sampled. It's only obivous when you keep your eyes on him the entire breakdown. Especially the end. He ends with the same fill that he played earlier, but this time it can't be heard. Plus, he missed that same fill just before. And in the break where he dosn't play, it dosn't look like he comes in at the right spot again. I don't know, I'm not sure yet.

Hard to explain, you guys should go see for yourself.

They're not going to fake playing an instrument if they aren't doing anything. They will just walk off stage. He's playing the part. You are hearing Rob drumming along when Chester isn't doing something.

If you can't tell that's Chester then I'm not sure what to tell you.

That's what I said. It's Chester. I was surprised he couldn't tell.

I stand corrected. Seeing how it was the same key as what Mike was singing, I naturally assumed that it was Mike singing. But now listening to it again, I hear that it is Chester closing out the song.

I also think it is great when Astat comes in and pwns everybody (including myself). I think it is funny when people get offended and defensive when he does it. I just want to thank Astat for his infinite LP knowledge. You are a God among men. lol.