Blackbirds out now!

Nameless

Golden rule of writing music (as far as I'm concerned): Whatever people want/expect you to do, do something else. If you're good, people will learn to like it.

Which people did with Hybrid Theory. Then they decided to make more radio friendly songs into a compact album named Minutes to Midnight, which boosted their popularity even further because it was more appealing to the ears of the masses.

What's more important, pleasing the "hardcore" fans or making money for your career? I can see why they would choose the money route, seeing as they make only 1 cent off of every album sale as it is (on top of illegal music downloads). Pleasing a small amount of fans who want them to return to their roots is not selling out, nor is it likely to happen.

I remember back in 2001, I would ask anyone if they heard of Linkin Park before...their initial response was "Yeah! They did that song In The End, right?"

In The End was a catchy tune and more pleasing to the ears than One Step Closer.

(my point with this is that the majority of people are more likely to remember the easy listening tunes)

It's a career. It's obvious they are going to "sell out". I can't think of a single band who has not done so AND grown in popularity. When you are out playing local pubs for the sake of pleasing people, it's different than signing a contract to market your music. You can't market your music too well if the majority of your audience isn't buying the shit.

Obviously I don't have a tag on my shirt that says "Professional in Marketing" but that's just how I see it.

Edit:

Oh, I give Blackbirds a 9/10. It reminded me of Hybrid Theory, Meteora and Minutes to Midnight smashed together...I liked the vibe of it.

Edited by rav0k

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eww...so our BEST case scenario with this song (depending on whether or not it ends up on iTunes) gives us 2 options:

1) 128kbps crappy version from 8BR that can't be directly transferred to another device

The file isn't protected.

Which people did with Hybrid Theory. Then they decided to make more radio friendly songs into a compact album named Minutes to Midnight, which boosted their popularity even further because it was more appealing to the ears of the masses.

What's more important, pleasing the "hardcore" fans or making money for your career? I can see why they would choose the money route, seeing as they make only 1 cent off of every album sale as it is (on top of illegal music downloads). Pleasing a small amount of fans who want them to return to their roots is not selling out, nor is it likely to happen.

I remember back in 2001, I would ask anyone if they heard of Linkin Park before...their initial response was "Yeah! They did that song In The End, right?"

In The End was a catchy tune and more pleasing to the ears than One Step Closer.

(my point with this is that the majority of people are more likely to remember the easy listening tunes)

It's a career. It's obvious they are going to "sell out". I can't think of a single band who has not done so AND grown in popularity. When you are out playing local pubs for the sake of pleasing people, it's different than signing a contract to market your music. You can't market your music too well if the majority of your audience isn't buying the shit.

Obviously I don't have a tag on my shirt that says "Professional in Marketing" but that's just how I see it.

Edit:

Oh, I give Blackbirds a 9/10. It reminded me of Hybrid Theory, Meteora and Minutes to Midnight smashed together...I liked the vibe of it.

THE SAME OPINION .... I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Edited by lplfan

Edit:

And i disagree. Making music solely to please other people besides your selves; whether it be "hardcore fans"(you obviously use this term to refer to people who are Hybrid Theory fans when in essence, its supposed to refer to anyone who loves the band and the music they make passionately) or the casual mass population is selling out. Outside of yourselves. It can be a small or large group of people. If i went with your definition of "hardcore fans" the Hybrid Theory loving population, then wouldn't it be a lot smarter for LP if they're after money to make music to please them considering that album is still to date their highest grossing album? The figures do not lie. Making another Hybrid Theory would have been the easy way out for them. They took a bigger risk of alienating their fan base by making MTM which is a very bad thing. Some bands never recover from that.

And people say MTM was more radio-friendly. The best songs of that album would never get played on the radio. TLGYA is one of the best under-rated songs of LP simply because it is not hard guitars, screaming, and Mike's rapping. I think Hybrid Theory right now would be more appealing to the mass population seeing as there are a lot of top 40 artists nowadays who have adopted that style.

And when you come down to it; the hardcore fans are the fans who bought the 650,000 albums of MTM on the first day and caused it to debut at #1 on Billboards.

What people need to come to terms with is just like your taste in music, clothes, food, cognitive ability changes, so do the individuals in a band. It's ridiculous that it's okay to change your favourite song every four weeks but expect a band to never change theirs like they're robots. I mean look at all those imbeciles who continuously want Mike to dye his hair back to red or blue, dress like he did in his twenties, wear piercings, and for Chester to dress like a homeless bum/dye his hair blond. Like it was the dyed hair and baggy clothing that wrote the music. Its like they're mistaken LP for N'Sync. You know, a group whose success depended on their looks.

And i disagree. Making music solely to please other people besides your selves; whether it be "hardcore fans"(you obviously use this term to refer to people who are Hybrid Theory fans when in essence, its supposed to refer to anyone who loves the band and the music they make passionately) or the casual mass population is selling out. Outside of yourselves. It can be a small or large group of people. If i went with your definition of "hardcore fans" the Hybrid Theory loving population, then wouldn't it be a lot smarter for LP if they're after money to make music to please them considering that album is still to date their highest grossing album? The figures do not lie. Making another Hybrid Theory would have been the easy way out for them. They took a bigger risk of alienating their fan base by making MTM which is a very bad thing. Some bands never recover from that.

And people say MTM was more radio-friendly. The best songs of that album would never get played on the radio. TLGYA is one of the best under-rated songs of LP simply because it is not hard guitars, screaming, and Mike's rapping. I think Hybrid Theory right now would be more appealing to the mass population seeing as there are a lot of top 40 artists nowadays who have adopted that style.

And when you come down to it; the hardcore fans are the fans who bought the 650,000 albums of MTM on the first day and caused it to debut at #1 on Billboards.

What people need to come to terms with is just like your taste in music, clothes, food, cognitive ability changes, so do the individuals in a band. It's ridiculous that it's okay to change your favourite song every four weeks but expect a band to never change theirs like they're robots. I mean look at all those imbeciles who continuously want Mike to dye his hair back to red or blue, dress like he did in his twenties, wear piercings, and for Chester to dress like a homeless bum/dye his hair blond. Like it was the dyed hair and baggy clothing that wrote the music. Its like they're mistaken LP for N'Sync. You know, a group whose success depended on their looks.

Totally agree!

You had pwned the day!!!!!

As they said: "Take one step backward to go more step forward" <= I'm still expecting sth from this!

Out of the cup question: Is Muse a Indie/Alternative or Mainstream/Alternative or WTF/Alternative band?

i agrre with you too ...

Cause ... Both you and Rav0k are right !

are you confused ? no!....

These 2 opinions are crashing the backround of LP fans ... and , in some way , there is a compbination of those opions, ... the ONE ... ,the one and the only SURE/Correct image of Linkin Park career and Music Profile ....

The truth is somewhere in midle ...

anyway i love Linkin park from the song NUMB ....

i first hear it from a ringtone .... WTF ? ! ^_^

....then ... i hear HT and Meteora ..... THE LOVE was Growing !!!

And today , i love Linkin Park from the beging ....!!!

I love HT ,Meteora, MTM ...!! ALL ... !!!

(2 Fav. songs : NUMB & What i 've Done)

THEY ARE A UNIQUE BAND ..!!!

Blackbirds - 8/10 !

guys sorry for of-topic

and sorry for english

thank you

Edited by lplfan

I'm not asking for LP to sell out, i'm asking them to pick up their nuts and do what makes them sound best. Chester has a perfect voice for some hard rock and they are wasting it with bunch of ballads. I don't think we are asking for them to go back to nu-metal, we just want some freakin songs we can bang our head too.

Most bands will one day return to their roots. Much like other hard rock/metal bands who have experimented with their sound (Korn, Deftones, Sevendust, etc.), LP is in the experimental stage of their career. These bands I've listed have all or are releasing new albums that are reminiscence of their signature work. I'd say give LP another two or three records and they will return to the HT sound or something similar to it.

that's what I've been telling people for the past two years.congrats for your post!

but I just want to clear a thing up: we cannot tell if Linkin Park chose an even more easy listening sound (M2M) if they wanted mainstream success or because that's what they expressed them.

My opinion is that it's a little bit of both..And at the very end,if you like the music just enjoy it,

who cares if it appeals to the masses,it's mainstream and easy listening and blah blah..end of story!

Now that I have Blackbirds in HQ, later than everyone else, I know, but I have changed my mind. I LOVE this song now. Across The Line still is my favorite of the b-sides, but IMO, Blackbirds is better than NRL. ATL>BB>NRL.

I'm not asking for LP to sell out, i'm asking them to pick up their nuts and do what makes them sound best. Chester has a perfect voice for some hard rock and they are wasting it with bunch of ballads. I don't think we are asking for them to go back to nu-metal, we just want some freakin songs we can bang our head too.

agreed

Great Song !!! My first thought was... WTF ?

but then i listen over and over and i start to think that is a great song, why ?

Great lyrics, is a mix between HT, Meteora and MTM... Have the sweetness of MTM in the chester's voice and have the beats of HT and Meteora, plus! the rapping of Mike, plus the keyboard, and the simple but excelent guitar by brad, makes an excelent 9/10

Uh, sorry but what you just described IS selling out.

"We're the fans and we want you to make the music we want you to make!"

^^^^ If they oblige to that, then they just cut their own nuts off as you might put it. They would be giving up their artistic credibility. Making a song to bang your head to, for the sake of making a song to bang your head to, would make LP a bunch of little carbon-copy, formulaic robots who just throw the same shit out there over and over, as opposed to being true artists.

So yes, you are asking them to sell out.

Amazing song!

Better than Wake? Yes. Given Up? Yes. LOATR? Yes. BIO? Yes. SOTD? Yes. WID? Yes. HHH? Yes. NMS? Probably. Valentine's Day? Yes. In Between? Yes. In Pieces? Yes. TLTGYA? Probably.

Same for Across the Line. So they leave 2 of their best songs of the album, because of tracks like In Between and What I've done? Unbelievable.

Amazing Old-school rap combined with a Chester on a DBS style! Sick! 9.5/10