Studio Update, January 5 2010

Yass

We had our first Monday meeting of 2010. First, we took a listen to the first five songs, which are almost finished and sounding great. I was going to tell you guys the working titles...but I changed my mind. I realized if I did that, the linkinpark.com, lpunderground.com, and fan site forums would be flooded with threads about them, where people make crazy guesses about the songs' sounds based on the working title...followed by thousands of fake links to "leaked mp3s" within a few days. Since I have great respect for your valuable time, I won't tempt you to waste it on such things. :-)

Anyway, back to Monday: We started thinking about the second batch...we have 15-20 songs that we like, and we'll be picking a new batch from those. There are a few common themes beginning to circulate in the lyrics and in the music. As I think I mentioned, the record might be a little more conceptual than our other ones. Not a "concept album" per se (it's not as far-out as that term would have you imagine), but it definitely has some thematic threads tying it together.

One funny thing came to mind as I was writing this: the term "genre busting" seems to keep coming up when talking about this album. In fact, if you Google "genre busting," the first thing you get is a link to an interview with me about this new music. If you read the piece, you'll see the following:

Linkin Park co-frontman Mike Shinoda says the band’s fourth studio album is going to be so unique, “they’re going to have to come up with a new genre name for what this record is.”

This offhanded comment was meant to be a bit of a joke. Most people don't take it as lightly as I meant it; because of that, part of me regretted saying it. But recently, there's a voice in the back of my head saying: Why not really make that the bar? "So unique that they'll have to make a new genre name." I don't know if we'll ever be able to hit that mark, but we might as well give it a shot.

-Mike

Thoughts?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some fans will get pissed because no old stuffs. See them flooding around with 'LP pls go back to nu metal~' or 'their old stuffs are better'.

Probably Feburary or March when they release it. I await it patiently... patiently... Btw, the google thing Mike mentioned is absolutely correct.

I'd say it should be released maybe in or around July because they have to put the songs onto the CD's, do all the printing and that stuff and then they have to distribute it all around the world and in the shops, and then release it. It will take some time to do all that (although, I shouldn't underestimate how long it will actually take them to do that).

I don't expect the record in the first half of 2010.

It will take more time to finsih it.

Think about the dead by sunrise dates , they announced, for example

I said it already before: the new LP record is maybe out in october or november

Maybe in early 2011

The album will be out this year they have the songs done we all know that in meteora making of DVD mike and brad Handel the mixing with a mixer so my guess is the songs will be finnished b4 DBS tour then while Chester is touring mike brad the producer and mixer will Finnish it of once Chester has finnished the vocals he is not needed so my guess the album will be finnshed off while Chester is away and will be released in June

I don't expect the record in the first half of 2010.

It will take more time to finsih it.

Think about the dead by sunrise dates , they announced, for example

I said it already before: the new LP record is maybe out in october or november

Maybe in early 2011

what are you talking about it all shows summer 2010.. I remember that in January 2007 we had nothing more than Mike and Chester talking about a hundred songs from which they had to pick.and M2M was out in May..so I think summer 2010 is not a dream!

Interesting... everybody says: "It means the album is almost finished". Well, where have you read it? :rolleyes:

I guess the album will be recorded in a month or two, but recorded doesn't mean released. All the previous year I was sure it's gonna come out in May 2010 (M2M-style ;D), but now I'm not that sure. My guess is May-June-July - June sounds best IMO. April-May - first single. :)

I knew Mike used the "genre busting" term for this new album. Whoever questioned me in another thread can go suck it.

Mike is excellent. I'm glad he didn't put the working titles up because he is exactly right... this place would just get flooded and arguments start around, uh, say page 2. I'd rather wait for real titles and get the working titles after the record is released.

With the amount of updates getting in recent weeks, it appears the band is moving forward. I think June is a good estimate of a release. I don't see how they could do it before then so I would say June is possible, but it would also be the earliest. However, I don't see last half of 2010-first half of 2011 as realistic possibilities now because it sounds like they have most of their material.

I knew Mike used the "genre busting" term for this new album. Whoever questioned me in another thread can go suck it.

Mike is excellent. I'm glad he didn't put the working titles up because he is exactly right... this place would just get flooded and arguments start around, uh, say page 2. I'd rather wait for real titles and get the working titles after the record is released.

With the amount of updates getting in recent weeks, it appears the band is moving forward. I think June is a good estimate of a release. I don't see how they could do it before then so I would say June is possible, but it would also be the earliest. However, I don't see last half of 2010-first half of 2011 as realistic possibilities now because it sounds like they have most of their material.

You said Mike called MtM genre busting if you go back and read what you said =P and I questioned that. Still waiting for the proof too. XP

I don't expect the record anywhere before June, and I don't really want it anywhere before June to be honest. I'm a huge fan of Out Of Ashes and I'm still enjoying that as well as LPU9 and I'd rather have them take some more time to finalize the songs, write some new songs maybe, and make sure everything is amazing to themselves. I can wait a little while longer for this album, I have never once complained that they were taking too long to write it like everyone else is. They released MTM in 2007 which I still listen to often, toured until late 2008, Chester released his solo album, Mike did Glorious Excess and they also did a Summer tour in 2009. The band does need time to relax and life their life's outside of Linkin Park too, people forget that. That's the only thing that bothers me about LP fans, they're never really appreciative and LP is definitely one of the bands that gives back the most to their fans.

Anyways, all the songs sound cool that they have described so far since the making of this album. I hope it's an album that sounds different than HT, Meteora and MTM, I want something way out there because I love when artists do that.

Edited by Geki

There is no chance this album is out before July. Anyone who thinks they are almost done is crazy, they take forever to make new music. Also, I really hope they don't continue to abandon guitars on this record. I like that they try to make different music, but I fear that they are moving further and further away from what made them great in the first place.

Well, I don't expect the new album will be release this year...(just because the first 5 songs sounded like they took a lot of time to be finished).

But I do expect we will get a new song as well as LP's game (which also contain new LP's song) in this January

The first 5 songs only took a few months to Finnish and so will the next then the album will be mixed and released. They didint take along time to Finnish them

i dont know what you guys are thinking!

only 5 songs done donsnt mean that they dont have any other stuff on there table.

these 5 are 95% done but other about 20-25 must be 50% to 60% done and when they will start working on that batch it will be done in one month. (only 4 to 5 from 20 to 25). and similarly rest in 3-4 songs in 1/2 month so

they can complete mixing, harmonies, backing, orchestra and even photo shot in 4 months.