Thoughts On LPU Chat?

hahninator

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if they put out more than 3 studio albums every10 years then they/we wouldn't be getting so tired of hearing the same songs over and over again.

True. But the thing is that I don't understand why members of the band hate songs like High Voltage, My December, No Roads Left, Qwerty, Dedicated and stuff like that. Just because they don't want to play Hybrid Theory songs doesn't mean they can't play those kinds of stuff. The only thing I hate about LP's current setlist is that it's literally ALL singles, except for Session but I count that as more of an intro. Then again, it was on the Matrix Reloaded soundtrack but that's beside the point. At least during PR07 and stuff they had songs like Cure For The Itch and Qwerty. The 08 winter tour had some awesome songs too like Valentine's Day, In Between, A Place For My Head and My December. Then the 08 Summer tour in Europe had Reading My Eyes with the rest of those which was awesome. It seems that once PR08 kicked off they started getting tired and they just wanted to play the singles and get the show over with. Everyone knows there was hardly any crowd interaction and what not. I saw LP 6 times before PR08 and they seemed way more energetic than at PR08. When I saw them at PR08 they seemed tired and miserable pretty much. It's understandable though since they were touring for quite a bit.

However, this Summer they should have stepped the set up a little bit. It was a cool set with Session returning, New Divide and Mike rapping different things over Points but still. They at least could have done something 'special' at Epicenter but instead they played the same set and Mike did Petrified over Points. I mean cmon. I'm just saying that for next tour they could AT LEAST play one song for the hardcore LP fans. I know members of LP hate the older material but is it really that hard to play even one or two songs for your DIE-HARD fans that stuck with you through all the bullshit with Warner and the long MTM wait!!!!

Easier to Run suck

Easier to Run is just epic song

Mike mentioned they are trying to do some song they came up with in the past? trying to finish it?

does anyone know anyting about it?

On Making of Meteora video there was one song that Rob was playing (practicing) drums on it, when Mike mentions how Rob is really fast, I hope it's that.

True. But the thing is that I don't understand why members of the band hate songs like High Voltage, My December, No Roads Left, Qwerty, Dedicated and stuff like that.

totally, the medley on LPU4 sounds so epic. I would give just about anything to see that live.

and yeah singles are so overrated live, they are always the more radio friendly songs, people that attend concerts are supposed to at least know the songs off official albums thus songs like With You should be no problem. Man those with you opening shows were of epic proportions

1.Korn play small venues because they really aren't that big anymore as they didn't change their music style...unlike LP hence their popularity decreased ;)

Not sure where you pulled this information from but they play large festivals all the time. They did an entire tour catered to smaller venues because they WANTED to, not because they had to. Just because a band hasn't sold the same amount of records as LP doesn't mean they aren't huge. I didn't see Muse on that "top sold albums" list and they still put on a kickass show.

Also, they DID change their music style. Look at their last two albums compared to Life is Peachy and their Self-Titled album. I'm sure part of that had to do with the fact that they lost a guitarist and a drummer during that time but they by no means are "less popular".

Edited by rav0k

What I meant was they used to have a much greater popularity than they have now, their hardcore fans stuck with them...but that's about it. When Korn play festivals though they never have a headlining slot though and they've never done like a huge show (40000+) headlined by themselves - Family Values wasn't that big.

Muse actually have actually a lot of records and are in much greater demand than Korn, I think I see the point you're trying to make but Muse was the wrong example :)

What a constructive post. Well done. It's okay to dislike a song but to view six different peoples efforts and hard work and plain out say "it sucks" is extremely disrespectful.

An even better post by lashing out at his opinion. Everyone doesn't have to like anything lp puts out. Your a moderator you know better then to disrespect someones opinion

What I meant was they used to have a much greater popularity than they have now, their hardcore fans stuck with them...but that's about it. When Korn play festivals though they never have a headlining slot though and they've never done like a huge show (40000+) headlined by themselves - Family Values wasn't that big.

Muse actually have actually a lot of records and are in much greater demand than Korn, I think I see the point you're trying to make but Muse was the wrong example :)

Korn has more albums than Muse does, you're wrong about them not having a headlining spot (Memphis in May, Rock Day, Mayhem Festival, Sunset Strip Music Festival, Rockfest and rumors of Download Festival next year), and it's foolish for you to say that Family Values wasn't that big. You could probably compare Family Values to Projekt Revolution. Once again, you can't claim a band is less popular (as in declining popularity) simply because another band is MORE popular. It's false information. If a band "sucked" and was stuck playing small venues....they wouldn't be headlining festivals. lol

EDIT: My whole point to begin with was that Linkin Park didn't have control over what they are playing because a record label was telling them what to do...which in turn, Adam corrected me as he works in the industry himself.

Also, I know what you're saying about them not having the popularity they once had but I actually think the exact opposite. They had a small following at one point - they didn't have these songs that appealed to the ears of the mass audience. Now look at Coming Undone and Twisted Transistor - wouldn't you say those are more community friendly than songs such as Freak on a Leash and Thoughtless?

Edited by rav0k

to add to the setlist problem, the only way LP can stop people from bugging them if they really dislike playing older stuff is to release a kick ass album that satisfies most fans. With the wide variety of LP fans from hip hop to metal that is a near impossible task.

The only thing i want form LP is something original and unique, i dont care how it sounds. I just want to be able to say that it sounds different from everything else on the market and MTM although it had bright spots did not seem very unique. Specially the softer songs were very poppy and unoriginal. TLTGYA is awesome though.

Oh and i hate the 2 'hard songs' (NMS, GU) on MTM, i really cant stand them for some reason especially GU.

I just want to be able to say that it sounds different from everything else on the market and MTM although it had bright spots did not seem very unique. Specially the softer songs were very poppy and unoriginal. TLTGYA is awesome though.

Oh and i hate the 2 'hard songs' (NMS, GU) on MTM, i really cant stand them for some reason especially GU.

I agree with you. It seems like they didn't pour their full heart and soul into it and were more focused on selling a record...which they accomplished. They pulled in a huge fan base because of MTM. In Pieces reminded me of some old school Incubus and TLTGYA was very well constructed. The rest as you said were pretty radio friendly which isn't a bad thing for a band but some people like us who like "unique" are going to be quite disappointed.

I agree with you. It seems like they didn't pour their full heart and soul into it and were more focused on selling a record...which they accomplished. They pulled in a huge fan base because of MTM. In Pieces reminded me of some old school Incubus and TLTGYA was very well constructed. The rest as you said were pretty radio friendly which isn't a bad thing for a band but some people like us who like "unique" are going to be quite disappointed.

Most likely, they really didn't try on the album because of the Warner situation. I feel that they were pretty pissed off, so they threw 13 tracks on there and said "here's you fucking album" to the label, so that they'd be one step closer to getting off WB. they probably thought, with the album being a huge departure from their original sound, that it would alienate their whole fan base. but maybe 1/2 the fanbase liked it, and the record attracted tons more fans, offsetting the people who stopped liking them.

IDK, but that's my opinion. It could be all complete bullshit, for all i know, but i feel thats kinda how it went down.

Most likely, they really didn't try on the album because of the Warner situation. I feel that they were pretty pissed off, so they threw 13 tracks on there and said "here's you fucking album" to the label, so that they'd be one step closer to getting off WB. they probably thought, with the album being a huge departure from their original sound, that it would alienate their whole fan base. but maybe 1/2 the fanbase liked it, and the record attracted tons more fans, offsetting the people who stopped liking them.

IDK, but that's my opinion. It could be all complete bullshit, for all i know, but i feel thats kinda how it went down.

It's a conspiracy. :blink:

IMO LP doesn't have to cater to any one of your needs. They can do w/e they damn want to (as long as WB allows them to) no matter how much you rant, call them names, say they're the worst band in the world, etc.

I personally liked the chat. New song soon, new album comin up, possible LPU tour, info on what the 5 mtm b-sides are like, etc. Even if the new song dissappoints you all, the album has 10-8 tracks (which I'd actually be okay about), LPU doesn't come, I'd be content. Guys need to stop getting so worked up about nothing, but hey, you wanna rant, I'm not stopping you.

I mean yes, if I went to the first show of 2010 and they didn't play... hmm.. how about Breaking The Habit, I'd be like.. "HOLY SHIT LP didn't play BTH", but I'd eventually you know, get over it.

I think I'd have a similar reaction if/when some version of BTH isn't on an LPU CD. :P

i dont care if the album has 5 songs on it as long as its 5 excellent songs

This. I agree with this 100%

If the album does come out with 10 songs and if they total about an average of 5 minutes a song... The album would be around 50 minutes long and thus would be the longest (Studio) album they have released I believe.

With this whole "Concept" idea they are going with it may only take 8-10 songs to tell the "story" they are going with. Its just a guess and I could be wrong but who knows.

But as GraDon said, if they are excellent songs then I don't care how many tracks there are.

I just think back two of my fav concept albums (There are plenty but these two stand out as my favs)

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - 5 Tracks that come to about 44 minutes of music I believe...

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 10 Tracks that come to about 39 minutes of music I belive as well...

I'm not saying these are THE best albums out there, its just two of my favs that I could think about off the top of my head. VERY excellent albums, 10 tracks or less and under and hour. And I'm NOT comparing Linkin Park to Pink Floyd... Just saying if LP can pull off an awesome album... then track number won't matter. :)

Edited by RED_Z3RO

This. I agree with this 100%

If the album does come out with 10 songs and if they total about an average of 5 minutes a song... The album would be around 50 minutes long and thus would be the longest (Studio) album they have released I believe.

With this whole "Concept" idea they are going with it may only take 8-10 songs to tell the "story" they are going with. Its just a guess and I could be wrong but who knows.

But as GraDon said, if they are excellent songs then I don't care how many tracks there are.

I just think back two of my fav concept albums (There are plenty but these two stand out as my favs)

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - 5 Tracks that come to about 44 minutes of music I believe...

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 10 Tracks that come to about 39 minutes of music I belive as well...

I'm not saying these are THE best albums out there, its just two of my favs that I could think about off the top of my head. VERY excellent albums, 10 tracks or less and under and hour. And I'm NOT comparing Linkin Park to Pink Floyd... Just saying if LP can pull off an awesome album... then track number won't matter. :)

3 of Metallica's best albums only have 8 or 9 songs on them. Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets have 8, ...And Justice For All has 9.

I personally liked the chat. New song soon, new album comin up, possible LPU tour, info on what the 5 mtm b-sides are like, etc. Even if the new song dissappoints you all, the album has 10-8 tracks (which I'd actually be okay about), LPU doesn't come, I'd be content. Guys need to stop getting so worked up about nothing, but hey, you wanna rant, I'm not stopping you.

I liked the chat too. All in all, it contained some good news + info. It wasn't 5 MTM B-Sides he was talking about though, those were new songs for the new album. He said one features both him and Chester singing going back and forth, that to me sounds fucking awesome. I wouldn't get my hopes up about an LPU Tour though. 8-10 songs on the new album won't really bother me that much if they're all great songs. I bet we'll end up getting 12 like always though.