Thoughts On LPU Chat?

hahninator

Generally, they're expected to play the songs people know because they want as many people to participate as possible. This way the people think "Wow I had a really great time, I'm definitely going to see them live again and again and again". They also play the songs from the album they're supporting because they want people to say "Wow I've never heard this song before. It sounds so great... I'm gonna buy the album as soon as I can!"

Regardless, LP has still managed to add some pretty sweet stuff into their sets every now and then (eg. Reading My Eyes, Step Up/Nobody's Listening/It's Goin' Down)

As far as the Hybrid Theory songs go, LP played 324 shows in 2001, and I think that scarred them for life :P

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally, they're expected to play the songs people know because they want as many people to participate as possible. This way the people think "Wow I had a really great time, I'm definitely going to see them live again and again and again". They also play the songs from the album they're supporting because they want people to say "Wow I've never heard this song before. It sounds so great... I'm gonna buy the album as soon as I can!"

Regardless, LP has still managed to add some pretty sweet stuff into their sets every now and then (eg. Reading My Eyes, Step Up/Nobody's Listening/It's Goin' Down)

As far as the Hybrid Theory songs go, LP played 324 shows in 2001, and I think that scarred them for life :P

People in 2004 would rock their hearts out to With You, Runaway, Figure, Don't Stay and such and those songs were non singles. What would make anyone think they wouldn't participate with those songs right now? Have those songs suddenly been, just, forgotten?

Edited by Preston

People in 2004 would rock their hearts out With You, Runaway, Figure, Don't Stay and such and non were singles. What would make anyone think they wouldn't participate with those songs right now? Have those songs suddenly been, just, forgotten?

In 2004, Minutes to Midnight wasn't out. Figure.09 and Don't Stay was their little gimmicks to get people to buy Meteora..the "Meteora" World Tour was in 2004 after all.

In 2004, Minutes to Midnight wasn't out. Figure.09 and Don't Stay was their little gimmicks to get people to buy Meteora..the "Meteora" World Tour was in 2004 after all.

Nobody is saying for people to drop anything off MTM. Add to the setlist like bands do when they add to their collection. Obviously, if its a tour focused on promoting an album, there are going to be songs featured from that album. And that is exactly what LP did. However, still no excuse as to why they can't rotate non-singles in their 3 set rotation much in the same fashion they rotated the likes of HHH, LOATR, etc on PR 07.

It's always exciting to hear news about the new album, no matter how small the details.

If the album is going to have less tracks, then I wont be too pleased if there are less than 10. And if this is the case, the length of the songs have to be longer than the average LP song which Mike seems to have hinted at a few times now. I'd go for an average of 5 minutes plus per track. If you look at an album like Metallica's 'Death Magnetic', it has 10 songs which average about 7 minutes each which doesn't make the album seem too short. Metallica always make long songs anyway.

That also brings up another point in regards to how much 'filler' material there will be on the album. If there are less songs, this means that just about every track needs to be a strong track. Once again, I use 'Death Magnetic' as a very good example of this. To me, there are absolutely no filler tracks on that album. I've read Mike talk about making an album of songs 'that don't suck' in the past, so if this means 10 tracks of incredibly strong material (i.e. no filler songs) and they are longer than average, then I wont be complaining about that at all.

In addition to the album, I can see LP releasing some B-Sides like we saw with No Roads Left (which really should have been on MTM if you ask me, along with ATL) after the album is released.

Hearing that the artwork for the album is looking to be the best yet excites me. MTM was very bland and nothing special. I get the same feeling on Meteora as well. I can't wait to see it.

As for the release date of the album, as long as it doesn't get postponed too much, I can realistically see a release mid next year. Mike says 5 songs are pretty much done, so that's about half the album already. I'm so pumped and can't wait to hear it.

In regards to playing not playing some older songs live, I think that's a shame and I don't see why they can't mix up the setlist every so often. I've seen the setlists for the recent tour and noticed that they pretty much play the same songs each set. Sure, a lot of concert goers want to see the more 'popular' songs, but shouldn't songs like Papercut, With You and A Place For My Head to name a few deserve to be part of the rotation? They need to mix it up a bit more, even if they change a couple of songs here and there.

And finally the iPhone game, it sounds pretty interesting and pretty cool that we get another new song (as long as it is a proper song and not some short demo like track). I'll be buying it as soon as it's released.

Nobody is saying for people to drop anything off MTM. Add to the setlist like bands do when they add to their collection. Obviously, if its a tour focused on promoting an album, there are going to be songs featured from that album. And that is exactly what LP did. However, still no excuse as to why they can't rotate non-singles in their 3 set rotation much in the same fashion they rotated the likes of HHH, LOATR, etc on PR 07.

Well yeah, I agree with you there. I was just interpreting it as people wanting less singles and more old album material - then it turned into a record label war.. :rolleyes:

They are going to continue playing mostly singles because they have to but the things like HHH, LOATR and such is most likely their own choices there - to continue promoting their latest work. Perhaps they DON'T care what the fans are wanting and want to do what they feel like instead. It doesn't sound very friendly but maybe the picky nature of the "hardcore" kinda turned them off. :P

People in 2004 would rock their hearts out With You, Runaway, Figure, Don't Stay and such and non were singles. What would make anyone think they wouldn't participate with those songs right now? Have those songs suddenly been, just, forgotten?

Great point. Listen to the 2006 shows and 2008 shows where Mike introduced Reading My Eyes. Fans loved it. Listen to 2004 when they did the medley, people loved it. Wish was awesome. What the hell makes people say the crowd isn't going to like it if LP does different songs, lmao? 2006? Pushing Me Away keyboard people loved. Hell, people loved it in 2007 and even when I saw it in 2008 in an encore it was badass.

HELL, I hate to bring this one out but Chester did The Morning After acoustic in 2001, a song NOONE had heard before and the place fucking ate it up like it was their first Christmas present of their life.

Preston and I together have been to enough concerts, seen enough bands live (over 50 this year), and seen enough people at these shows to know that when Linkin Park is on stage, the place is rocking the hell out no matter what they're playing. We've seen cases of bad crowds, yes but really the ONLY example I've seen of that was a Three Days Grace show at a terrible venue as a one-off show in the middle of nowhere.

If LP is headlining, they can play whatever the HELL they want and get a GREAT reception. That's what I think people don't understand. I've seen Shinedown 3 times...they played a lot of non-single stuff from the older days and people ate it up..they performed those songs VERY well, got the crowd involved and had lots of energy so the songs came off great and people loved them. From Shinedown to Dave Matthews Band to Foo Fighters, lots of bands play older shit and fans enjoy it. It's not like suddenly the band plays a song you don't know and you INSTANTLY lose interest in the show and get bored. That doesn't happen.

And lastly, David Fricke is incorrect. 324 shows in 2001 didn't happen. That's almost like killing yourself touring.

EDIT:

It might just be me going to 9 shows on the MTM tour, but hell, I heard complaints when LP played the same cities on PR08 that they played on PR07. I heard them from casual AND hardcore fans, that the shows were almost identical. And they were. Yes, some stuff was changed, but a lot of the shows on this tour where they played the same areas twice was similar. I agree with that. I see no harm in asking the band to play some different stuff.

I couldn't agree more. I saw them at the Tweeter Center in Camden in '07 and '08, and I was really disappointed with the lack of change of their shows. The bands played with them in my opinion were worse in '08 than '07, the first 5 songs were the same in both years, and in '08 it got to the point where I knew what song was next, and I didn't even know the Projekt Rev '08 set lists yet. I understand what Mike meant with the average concert goer wanting more hits, but they really need to expand their set lists, both in number of songs and in album diversity. There are bands that can pull off 30 songs a night. I don't see why LP can't play all of their singles, some new material, and old material all in the same night.

Great point. Listen to the 2006 shows and 2008 shows where Mike introduced Reading My Eyes. Fans loved it. Listen to 2004 when they did the medley, people loved it. Wish was awesome. What the hell makes people say the crowd isn't going to like it if LP does different songs, lmao? 2006? Pushing Me Away keyboard people loved. Hell, people loved it in 2007 and even when I saw it in 2008 in an encore it was badass.

HELL, I hate to bring this one out but Chester did The Morning After acoustic in 2001, a song NOONE had heard before and the place fucking ate it up like it was their first Christmas present of their life.

Preston and I together have been to enough concerts, seen enough bands live (over 50 this year), and seen enough people at these shows to know that when Linkin Park is on stage, the place is rocking the hell out no matter what they're playing. We've seen cases of bad crowds, yes but really the ONLY example I've seen of that was a Three Days Grace show at a terrible venue as a one-off show in the middle of nowhere.

If LP is headlining, they can play whatever the HELL they want and get a GREAT reception. That's what I think people don't understand. I've seen Shinedown 3 times...they played a lot of non-single stuff from the older days and people ate it up..they performed those songs VERY well, got the crowd involved and had lots of energy so the songs came off great and people loved them. From Shinedown to Dave Matthews Band to Foo Fighters, lots of bands play older shit and fans enjoy it. It's not like suddenly the band plays a song you don't know and you INSTANTLY lose interest in the show and get bored. That doesn't happen.

And lastly, David Fricke is incorrect. 324 shows in 2001 didn't happen. That's almost like killing yourself touring.

Brilliant post, absolutely brilliant.

It's not like suddenly the band plays a song you don't know and you INSTANTLY lose interest in the show and get bored. That doesn't happen.

It can and has happened in the past.

Let's say a concert attendee expects to hear "What I've Done" or "New Divide" but Linkin Park doesn't play it because they decided to cater to the old fans that night. Imagine the huge portion of fans that haven't heard a damn thing before MTM. They walk out that night saying "Wow..that kinda sucked, they didn't play anything I knew." and have the mentality of not showing up again. If I was in a band, I would not want to disappoint someone like that. No, they aren't going to lose a massive number of people after one show...but if they did a whole tour playing nothing but old stuff for the dedicated fans...yeah, you would see a difference.

Regardless, the point was clear now that you are wanting 2-3 older songs rotated into the set. I'm with you on that one. Just sounded like you were ruling out that they shouldn't play singles at all because they have played them every year...I just don't see that happening.

EDIT: Yes, people who walk out without having a single amount of fun are losers..but it does happen. I'm not stupid, I know how bitchy people are when they don't get what they want. lol

Edited by rav0k

If only Mike read all these... ''my dear puppies are tortured emotionally and I didn't know it...'

Well, maybe playing some old songs made more new fans to love old stuffs. The only thing is: play a bit of old stuff does not blast the whole show up. Mark put it that way:

I couldn't agree more. I saw them at the Tweeter Center in Camden in '07 and '08, and I was really disappointed with the lack of change of their shows. The bands played with them in my opinion were worse in '08 than '07, the first 5 songs were the same in both years, and in '08 it got to the point where I knew what song was next, and I didn't even know the Projekt Rev '08 set lists yet. I understand what Mike meant with the average concert goer wanting more hits, but they really need to expand their set lists, both in number of songs and in album diversity. There are bands that can pull off 30 songs a night. I don't see why LP can't play all of their singles, some new material, and old material all in the same night.

I can't even get into the problems I had on Projekt Revolution 2008, LOL. I don't know if anyone else has this problem but for me it really does get to the point where I know so many LP setlists that when I'm at the show, I have no idea what's next, haha. I just still can't believe they went from playing Reading My Eyes, A Place For My Head, and Valentine's Day in Europe to completely dropping all 3 in the US. Those were the only 3 songs that hadn't seen any action on Projekt Revolution 2007, lmao (Pushing I guess but it was keyboard in 07).

Let's say a concert attendee expects to hear "What I've Done" or "New Divide" but Linkin Park doesn't play it because they decided to cater to the old fans that night. Imagine the huge portion of fans that haven't heard a damn thing before MTM. They walk out that night saying "Wow..that kinda sucked, they didn't play anything I knew." and have the mentality of not showing up again. If I was in a band, I would not want to disappoint someone like that. No, they aren't going to lose a massive number of people after one show...but if they did a whole tour playing nothing but old stuff for the dedicated fans...yeah, you would see a difference.

Regardless, the point was clear now that you are wanting 2-3 older songs rotated into the set. I'm with you on that one. Just sounded like you were ruling out that they shouldn't play singles at all because they have played them every year...I just don't see that happening.

No one is saying play a 20 song set of nothing but non-singles. For good God's sake, do you think concert goers who don't post at LP Live or fan sites do not realize a band has more material than what is currently popular? What I've Done was dropped from the setlist on the first show of PR 08 because of curfew, do you honestly think thousands of people walked out of that venue crying because WID wasn't played? Some might have been fairly disappointed if it was their absolute favorite song, but certainly not enough to say the show was bad and they won't ever come back.

No one is asking for Super Xero era stuff. We are asking for a few songs that haven't been played in a while that I'm sure most people would love to see again on the next tour.

Edited by Preston

EDIT: Yes, people who walk out without having a single amount of fun are losers..but it does happen. I'm not stupid, I know how bitchy people are when they don't get what they want. lol

They didn't play What I've Done on the first show of Projekt Revolution 2008 in Mansfield. So what? Cornell and Busta came out on songs...LP played lots of other singles...it was still a great show. They can drop 1-2 singles from each album and still put on one hell of a show. They have so many singles now that they really can drop some and still blow people away with the others.

Glad we see eye to eye on the 2-3 songs thing now, lol.

EDIT:

LP played 167 shows in 2001. I have NO idea where the 300-something number came from.

No one is saying play a 20 song set of nothing but non-singles. For good Good God's sake, do you think concert goers who don't post at LP Live or fan sites do not realize a band has more material than what is currently popular. What I've Done was dropped from the setlist on the first show of PR 08 because of curfew, do you honestly think thousands of people walked out of that venue crying because WID wasn't played? Some might have been fairly disappointed if it was their absolute favorite song, but certainly not enough to say the show was bad and they won't ever come back.

No one is asking for Super Xero era stuff. We are asking for a few songs that haven't been played in a while that I'm sure most people would love to see again on the next tour.

I know man. I'm with you 100%. I just didn't understand where you were coming from exactly at first. I still say they do another LPU tour.

LPU tour would be cool but I'd rather them play all over the world, maybe places they've never been before, with a new stage design, new production, new setlists (w/older songs :P lmao), new intros/outros/remixes...etc.

I mean yes, if I went to the first show of 2010 and they didn't play... hmm.. how about Breaking The Habit, I'd be like.. "HOLY SHIT LP didn't play BTH", but I'd eventually you know, get over it. I'm sure that's how the What I've Done thing in Mansfield was, and then Papercut in 2008. Hell, they could rotate singles instead of rotating album tracks. Now that'd be a cool idea. I just think there's more than singles. Singles are radio friendly, yes, but some of their best studio work comes in the other songs.

lmao i jus spent the last 10 minutes reading everyone's comments. Yall are hilarious. I agree with Hahninator said. Although i was lucky enough to have two different setlists the two times i have seen LP. But it really wouldnt hurt mixing it up. LP should look at *shudders* groups like Green Day & U2 who play like 25+ song setlists. Bleh hate both bands but its a prime example of how much more bands put in their shows. . LP needs to step up (no pun intended) their shit. Mix it up a bit. If its something about it being too expensive to rent out venues for longer sets i can understand if they want to be cheapskates though