Thoughts On LPU Chat?

hahninator

ahhh ok that makes more sense. haha. I still call Bullshit though.

Cool I have a friend who went there and studied music business. He works for Universal Music Group now, so he seemed to do ok for himself post-college. haha.

Hell yes, now we're talking...Universal..damn. That's a pretty nice job to get.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make a good point but have you ever been to a hip hop/rap show? Ive been to a Kanye West show and he definately played hits that featured artists like Good Life and he just sampled T Pains part. Or when i went to see Kid Cudi and Asher Roth, when Roth played Lions Roar it featured Busta Rhymes but he skipped Bustas part. And i have def seen Jay-Z videos, he played Umbrella at one point but just his verse. so not to bust your bubble but are you sure your point is still valid?

I'm not saying that they take out all of they're singles have features, but have some in fact do. songs like 03 bonnie and clyde, excuse me miss, song cry, and can't knock the hustle. and you make a point of umbrella, but that's not really part of his set on a concert-to-concert basis. Hell, Linkin Park (Mike specifically on the keys) has played Umbrella! Songs like Ain't no love, you don't know, public service announcement for example have been staples for Jiggaman's concerts, but they aren't singles by any means.

That's quite possibly one of the worst responses I have ever heard. Unfortunately? Sorry the fans that have stuck with you with dedication, loyalty, and not to mention, cold hard cash like the songs that gave you a following.

This was apparently a joke of a chat. Everyone gets so excited about Shinoda and he drops all this seemingly negative information. If they can't even put 12 tracks on an album that, probably when its all said and done, took two years to make, then I don't know what to say.

Also, I highly doubt this "new song" is going to be anything worth significant interest. My guess is its something like the highly overrated "Lockjaw" or something based more around instrumentation and short length.

Unfort. I have to agree

Interesting discussion, but I think it is useless here unless you guys make a serious post on LP.com to tell your opinion to the band. (cuz I don't think LP would go sightseeing here)

Also, for the LPU tour, I think they would go to the place that have MANY LPU-ers. Going to the place they didn't go before would make them make the show for at least 1 audience.

And for the old track, well, hardcore LP fans would love to hear these (so do I) but for the newbie...well.....just some of them could get over it (like Hahninator when they don't play what you like).

Beside that, not so many new LP fans (from New Divide or MTM) could hear stuff like M and HT (well, they could even not know anything about M and HT). Their heads is much softer than hardcore's, playing something too heavy make them like "WTF happened with this band? OMG, I lose my money for some disappointments?"

This thread makes me laugh. Everyone is like crying because Mike said they probably won't play Hybrid Theory EP songs live. Wtf? You guys need to calm down. I know many bands that don't play their older songs. Bands can play whatever they want. Wouldn't you get sick of a song you wrote over 10 years ago? Wouldn't you be sick of playing it live EVERY night? People need to consider that. Be happy they still play shows, or even play lead singles for that matter.

This thread makes me laugh. Everyone is like crying because Mike said they probably won't play Hybrid Theory EP songs live. Wtf? You guys need to calm down. I know many bands that don't play their older songs. Bands can play whatever they want. Wouldn't you get sick of a song you wrote over 10 years ago? Wouldn't you be sick of playing it live EVERY night? People need to consider that. Be happy they still play shows, or even play lead singles for that matter.

What have you done with the Geki we all know and love??? o.O

PS... LOL @ Mark and Preston blowing eachother back and forth...

Edited by Papelbon

Interesting discussion, but I think it is useless here unless you guys make a serious post on LP.com to tell your opinion to the band. (cuz I don't think LP would go sightseeing here)

Also, for the LPU tour, I think they would go to the place that have MANY LPU-ers. Going to the place they didn't go before would make them make the show for at least 1 audience.

And for the old track, well, hardcore LP fans would love to hear these (so do I) but for the newbie...well.....just some of them could get over it (like Hahninator when they don't play what you like).

Beside that, not so many new LP fans (from New Divide or MTM) could hear stuff like M and HT (well, they could even not know anything about M and HT). Their heads is much softer than hardcore's, playing something too heavy make them like "WTF happened with this band? OMG, I lose my money for some disappointments?"

First, who cares if it's useless? You also said you don't think LP would go sightseeing here, lol. Mike has visited before, I don't see why they wouldn't check in on fansites every now and then. Mike browses all around the web. He's linked to us before on several occasions (Ryu interview; "Plaster" demo, etc) and knew about us posting "She Couldn't".

Don't play what I like? lol, I never said LP plays songs I don't like. If you can find something somewhere saying that, I'd like to see it. I fully enjoy every song of LP's setlist and have a great time every single show. Of course I can't control what they do live, but I said it would be NICE to hear something DIFFERENT. I've heard my favorite song from each album performed live multiple times, I love all the shows, but I'd like them to switch it up a bit.

Who in the hell cares if new fans don't like what Hybrid Theory or Meteora sound like? Just listen to the newer stuff? LP plays selections of BOTH live. They play New Divide and new material, and they play cuts from the older albums. Note how Mike used to dedicate Papercut (and even No More Sorrow once, but I think he did that because he forgot the setlist, lol) to the hardcore fans that've been with them for a while.

No one is crying. I've seen maybe 2 or 3 people say it's bad they won't play a HTEP song live. I find it pretty odd, actually, but that's just me. We're saying we'd like to see 2-3 different songs in the setlist and that is an absolutely valid point if you look at the broad scope of things.

You know many bands that don't play their older songs? Could you list a few for me? Like I said earlier, I've seen over 50 bands live this year and every single one of them BESIDES the bands that have 1 album out (a lot of opening bands) they play older songs. Sick Puppies, Shinedown, 3 Doors Down, Three Days Grace, Nine Inch Nails, Foo Fighters, Chevelle, U2, everyone. Hell even fucking Underoath did and I'm not a fan of them, lol.

Your last few sentences make me realize you aren't understanding everything. First - I'm sure they do get sick of older songs they wrote 10 years ago. But I'm also sure they DON'T get sick of those songs. Reading My Eyes was brought out. A Place For My Head was written 10 years ago and they played that one. I could go on and on with examples. Mike brought out Dedicated, Step Up and High Voltage over Points. Next - sick of the same songs each night? EXACTLY my point. Wouldn't you get sick of playing Somewhere I Belong, Lying From You, Breaking The Habit, Faint, One Step Closer, In The End, Crawling, Numb, What I've Done, No More Sorrow and Given Up at every single show for years? I find it VERY interesting they don't get sick of playing THOSE songs but are supposedly sick of songs they haven't touched in many years - Figure.09, Forgotten, By Myself, Hit The Floor, Easier To Run, Nobody's Listening, And One, and Carousel.

Of COURSE I am VERY happy with the live show, why the fuck else would I drop thousands of dollars and go halfway across the fucking planet to see them? You obviously don't understand the points we are trying to make.

Jesus, have you even read the thread? Either Mike was confused or something, but I think the basis of this discussion is not to have HTEP songs necessarily in the setlist but rather just plain songs that were dropped from the setlist this last cycle i.e. With You, Runaway, Figure, By Myself, and songs that haven't been seen in quite some time like Easier to Run, Hit the Floor, Pushing Remix, Forgotten, etc.

And wait a minute. How many bands that have been playing for many, many years more than LP play some of their most early material because it still remains some of their most popular? I can name COUNTLESS. What the hell does time have anything to do with it? Also, considering the damn fact that some of the songs in this discussion haven't been played in years while they have played songs like In The End and One Step Closer practically every show this decade, wouldn't you say they would want to give some of those songs a break? So their sick of playing songs they haven't played in quite some time? Give me a break. If they don't like them, hey, what can we do? The basis of this thread is just discussing why LP can't ROTATE some of their non-single material from Hybrid Theory and Meteora and whatever else they please... not just HTEP and ancient material that is much more understandable for the band not wanting to play rather than some of their most intriguing non-single songs.

Also, I must point out that my favorite LP songs are all singles. I am satisfied when I'm at a LP show. But hey, as a hardcore fan, is it really THAT much to ask to rotate some songs. This isn't a new topic; it's been a topic debated for quite some time now.

well if the new album is awesome and contains more 'load and harder' songs people wont mind the rest but the average lp fan requires a few head bangers. I cant imagine going to a lp concert and just standing there while they play IB, SOTD and stuff i want to jump around and get crazy in the pit

Edited by GraDoN

Hahninator, well. maybe I missed understand the line "WTF, they don't play BTH?". I just think they don't play the song you like.

And about "I don't think LP would go to check this site" <= well my bad, I didn't know the past of this fansite anyway. I'm just new to this website

And about the new fans, well, I just write about their opinions. I don't see what is in my post said about "care about them"

just to add something to the setlist talk.

they lost an attender in me because i'm not willing to pay money for the same songs over and over. i didn't go to a single show when they came here earlier this year. i'm not even hyped to see them again after the new album release.

and mark: the label has more power than you might think. another example for this is "enter shikari". they literally hate to play songs like "sorry, you're not a winner" and "mothership" but said something along the lines "but yeah, we have to play them, that's how the business runs". they were bored to hell and had almost no energy while playing these songs.

the big shows in arenas and stuff are planned for the largest amount of people possible. you can only achieve a good level of satisfaction within the crowd if you play the well known stuff.

if the band REALLY wanted to do what they want, they wouldn't play quite a few songs anymore (including "one step closer", "crawling" and "in the end" probably). i really don't think they still do them for fan pleasing, that's a shiny excuse.

I would say well over 1/4. HTEP isn't some sort of secret.

To anybody who doesn't actively follow the band online, it most certainly is. I would say less than 5% of fans in attendance at a Linkin Park show these days have ever heard a single song from the HTEP.

Yes because Linkin Park has never done that before at all. :rolleyes:

They haven't...or if they have, it's happened so rarely that even I'm not aware of it.

Even the used take votes based on what song the crowd wants to hear live and they play that song. Why can't they do that

I don't think you realize just how hard it is for LP to change a setlist on the fly.

-Brad's pedalboard has all the songs of a setlist programmed in order with all the effects changes and everything pre-planned out. If LP were to add a song at the last minute, he would have to completely reprogram his entire guitar effects rig.

-The band plays to a click track that is started by their monitor engineer from offstage before each song. The tempos for all the songs are known well ahead of the start of a tour. This is the kind of stuff the band works out during rehearsals weeks before a tour begins. Ethan wouldn't have a clue what the tempo of a song was if the band added it at the last minute, and without a click track, all of LP's prerecorded samples would get off sync with the live instruments.

-Joe's Scratch Live program has the show setlist programmed into it with all the subsequent samples, similar to how Brad's guitar rig is. Joe's sampler also doesn't have every single song from the Linkin Park catalog programmed into it at any given time, so LP can't just add a song on a whim, because they likely don't have all the necessary samples to play it.

-The road crew. The guitar/bass techs have all the tunings/instrument changes worked out during rehearsals, throwing a new song into the set would completely throw that off. Pooch mixes the show using a digital mixing profile, which much like Brad's guitar rig and Joe's computer, has all of the songs pre-programmed in order, along with what level/EQ settings go along with each of them. The light show is also run by a computer that syncs everything to the music. LP would have to consult with their ENTIRE touring crew and make the appropriate changes before they could even think about doing a surprise performance of a song, if they wanted it to work just as well as the rest of a setlist, anyway.

People really need to realize that nearly every aspect of a Linkin Park live performance is predetermined during rehearsals, and it's next to impossible for a band like LP that relies so heavily on computers and pre-recorded samples/pre-programmed settings for their live shows to do an impromptu performance of...well, anything.

Yeah I agree with that, but what in the world was up with 2007?

They dropped QWERTY, well I guess it's easy to drop a song...but I mean they did a lot of changes in 2007.

On the European Tour, they swapped the setlist randomly between two shows.

16. What I've Done

------------------------------

17. The Little Things Give You Away

18. Bleed It Out

19. Faint

16. Bleed It Out

18. What I've Done

19. Faint

http://www.lplive.net/shows/20070825.php

Camden had that REALLY fucked up setlist....

http://www.lplive.net/shows/20070829.php

Then Holmdel had that new "Set D".

I know it's hard, but it can be done. They've swapped in the middle of a tour with rotating setlists, lol.

Yeah I agree with that, but what in the world was up with 2007?

They dropped QWERTY, well I guess it's easy to drop a song...but I mean they did a lot of changes in 2007.

On the European Tour, they swapped the setlist randomly between two shows.

16. What I've Done

18. Bleed It Out

19. Faint

16. Bleed It Out

18. What I've Done

19. Faint

http://www.lplive.net/shows/20070825.php

Camden had that REALLY fucked up setlist....

http://www.lplive.net/shows/20070829.php

Then Holmdel had that new "Set D".

I know it's hard, but it can be done. They've swapped in the middle of a tour with rotating setlists, lol.

Right, but they didn't add different songs to any of those setlists, they just changed the order of existing songs or replaced dropped songs with songs they were already playing in other sets (Don't Stay replacing QWERTY, Cure for the Itch replacing We Made It). It's a lot easier to just swap the order around than it is to throw something entirely new into the mix...changing the order can probably be accomplished by just clicking and dragging things around on the various computer-controlled devices.

Do you think that might have something to do with them replacing We Made It with Cure For The Itch in 2 sets (nothing in the 3rd) instead of A Place For My Head?

I'd say that's a good possibility. The band had just been playing APFMH (as well as Valentine's Day and Reading My Eyes) on the Europe tour before PR08, so I don't think it would've been a matter of them needing to rehearse the song and freshen up on it, they probably just didn't have all the necessary programming stuff with them to be able to play it properly.

...Or they could've just legitimately not wanted to play it, lol.

Let me tell you about a different band - Korn. They recently just finished up their "Escape from the Studio" tour and played in mostly small intimate venues. They wanted to go old school and they pretty much played their entire first album for all the hardcore fans. How many hardcore fans were there at the show I attended? Not a lot. The only song they knew was Coming Undone. There IS a reason that a band would play all singles and not a lot of their "unknown" stuff. Korn isn't currently signed to a label so they can do what they want in essence. Linkin Park playing mostly singles ties into marketing, not because they "hate the hardcore fans".

1.Korn play small venues because they really aren't that big anymore as they didn't change their music style...unlike LP hence their popularity decreased ;) Fortunately Adam has already cleared up the label issue...but another example for you - check out the most recent Slipknot setlist and see which album it came from ;)

LP played 167 shows in 2001. I have NO idea where the 300-something number came from.

I think they were possibly on tour for 324 days I remember that being mentioned somewhere - potentially 2001.

I know you guys think Warner has some super magical power over their artists, but I can assure you that they do not tell the band what to play and what not to play. Neither does management. That's just ridiculous.

And if the band doesn't want to play a certain song, they don't want to play a certain song. It's their song, their tour, their call. I'd kill to see my favorite band play my favorite song by them, but I know they never will because they haven't in about 6 years. I'm ok with that because they're doing new things and want to play their new songs. How can you blame a band for not wanting to play a song they wrote over ten years ago?

Thank you for posting this to prove the label doesn't have such power :)

However, I do disagree with your second point - LP may want to play their new songs but when it's the same new song every night for 2 years and god knows how many touring cycles, how long is the song stay new? Surely it would be refreshing to drop a newer song that's been played every show for the last 2 years and add a song they haven't played or a few years?

I have a few friends that like LP but think I'm far too obsessed with them - but they still say the set was pretty much the same and would like to hear at the least APFMH - yes that exact song. Another guy at Sonisphere can't have been that big a fan of LP cause he moaned for a bit of the set but was upset they didn't play Papercut. To me even casual fans want to hear older songs - it's simple. Even if they only increase the set time to 1:45 they could still add 3 songs that haven't been heard in a few years - fair enough if they don't play runaway cause chester doesn't like it, but With You, Forgotten (literally), Figure.09, maybe even ETR and obviously APFMH - seriously it's the same songs asked for over and over again - surely it must start sinking in soon.

I hope that Mike misunderstood the question and thought the question was about HTEP rather than HT/Meteora :)

To anybody who doesn't actively follow the band online, it most certainly is. I would say less than 5% of fans in attendance at a Linkin Park show these days have ever heard a single song from the HTEP.

They haven't...or if they have, it's happened so rarely that even I'm not aware of it.

I don't think you realize just how hard it is for LP to change a setlist on the fly.

-Brad's pedalboard has all the songs of a setlist programmed in order with all the effects changes and everything pre-planned out. If LP were to add a song at the last minute, he would have to completely reprogram his entire guitar effects rig.

-The band plays to a click track that is started by their monitor engineer from offstage before each song. The tempos for all the songs are known well ahead of the start of a tour. This is the kind of stuff the band works out during rehearsals weeks before a tour begins. Ethan wouldn't have a clue what the tempo of a song was if the band added it at the last minute, and without a click track, all of LP's prerecorded samples would get off sync with the live instruments.

-Joe's Scratch Live program has the show setlist programmed into it with all the subsequent samples, similar to how Brad's guitar rig is. Joe's sampler also doesn't have every single song from the Linkin Park catalog programmed into it at any given time, so LP can't just add a song on a whim, because they likely don't have all the necessary samples to play it.

-The road crew. The guitar/bass techs have all the tunings/instrument changes worked out during rehearsals, throwing a new song into the set would completely throw that off. Pooch mixes the show using a digital mixing profile, which much like Brad's guitar rig and Joe's computer, has all of the songs pre-programmed in order, along with what level/EQ settings go along with each of them. The light show is also run by a computer that syncs everything to the music. LP would have to consult with their ENTIRE touring crew and make the appropriate changes before they could even think about doing a surprise performance of a song, if they wanted it to work just as well as the rest of a setlist, anyway.

People really need to realize that nearly every aspect of a Linkin Park live performance is predetermined during rehearsals, and it's next to impossible for a band like LP that relies so heavily on computers and pre-recorded samples/pre-programmed settings for their live shows to do an impromptu performance of...well, anything.

Wow, thanks for that view of things, I have never thought about it. So many things are making sense now!

No one is crying. I've seen maybe 2 or 3 people say it's bad they won't play a HTEP song live. I find it pretty odd, actually, but that's just me. We're saying we'd like to see 2-3 different songs in the setlist and that is an absolutely valid point if you look at the broad scope of things.

You know many bands that don't play their older songs? Could you list a few for me? Like I said earlier, I've seen over 50 bands live this year and every single one of them BESIDES the bands that have 1 album out (a lot of opening bands) they play older songs. Sick Puppies, Shinedown, 3 Doors Down, Three Days Grace, Nine Inch Nails, Foo Fighters, Chevelle, U2, everyone. Hell even fucking Underoath did and I'm not a fan of them, lol.

Your last few sentences make me realize you aren't understanding everything. First - I'm sure they do get sick of older songs they wrote 10 years ago. But I'm also sure they DON'T get sick of those songs. Reading My Eyes was brought out. A Place For My Head was written 10 years ago and they played that one. I could go on and on with examples. Mike brought out Dedicated, Step Up and High Voltage over Points. Next - sick of the same songs each night? EXACTLY my point. Wouldn't you get sick of playing Somewhere I Belong, Lying From You, Breaking The Habit, Faint, One Step Closer, In The End, Crawling, Numb, What I've Done, No More Sorrow and Given Up at every single show for years? I find it VERY interesting they don't get sick of playing THOSE songs but are supposedly sick of songs they haven't touched in many years - Figure.09, Forgotten, By Myself, Hit The Floor, Easier To Run, Nobody's Listening, And One, and Carousel.

Of COURSE I am VERY happy with the live show, why the fuck else would I drop thousands of dollars and go halfway across the fucking planet to see them? You obviously don't understand the points we are trying to make.

I don't listen to any of the bands you listed above. I listen to more alternative bands (Aiden, Escape The Fate, A Skylit Drive, Attack Attack!, Saosin, A Day To Remember, blessthefall, The Almost, and more) first off. Granted these bands haven't been around on the scene as long as LP but they don't play a bunch of their old songs, maybe just the singles. Bands strive to play their new material, not only because they enjoy it more, but because they want people to buy the album they are currently promoting. I know this argument is going nowhere for me because everyone here will jump down someones throat over old LP songs but still. Put yourself in LP's perspective and think about it.

Also, I never said the band doesn't get sick of the songs you have mentioned either. I bet LP gets sick of every song in the setlist but that doesn't mean that they won't play the hits for the crowd. Do you understand? Chester probably fucking hates One Step Closer and Given Up but they still play those songs every single night because they are singles and big hits amongst the crowd. Yes, if LP played Carousel or And One, a bunch of die-hard fans would sing every word and love it. But also, there are other people attending the show that aren't die-hard fans at all. People that went just to see LP play in their city for a fun night out or something. It's not fair from a die-hard fans point of view but think about how the band thinks on this subject.

Believe me, I'd like to see them play old songs but if the band isn't going to then why stress over it? We can't make them do it.

I saw newfound glory this year live. They did an entire BY REQUEST set list. 28 songs. Including ones off their first album. Even ones they had to relearn on stage. It was amazing. That's a live act right there. And i'm good friends with am ember of UnderOATH, they love playing old stuff for the die hards and tog et the new guys listening to the older stuff. Sure on a global LP scale it might be harder though. you have obligations, a lot of fans now a days are radio fans sad but true. They want what they've heard, nothing else. Its not like that with just straight hardcore fans. What bands need to learn, not all, but bands like LP, is that there is a balance. You want to make all fans happy as best you can? so make it 50/50? If your isck of your own song than don't play it, whos going to stop you. But still.

Maybe the band won't play the older songs because they don't want to sound that way anymore? They've taken their music to a new direction and maybe the older stuff just won't fit in.

I'm sure that's part of it as well. We know of a handful of pre-MTM songs that the band isn't particularly fond of - Chester doesn't like Runaway, Hit the Floor, or Nobody's Listening. He's also had negative things to say about One Step Closer and In the End in the past, but those turned out to be huge hits, so I doubt he minds performing them anymore. Mike hasn't flat-out said he dislikes Easier to Run, but he's said the song "didn't turn out the way they wanted it to," so I'd imagine it isn't viewed favorably by the band.