Thoughts On LPU Chat?

hahninator

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's quite possibly one of the worst responses I have ever heard. Unfortunately? Sorry the fans that have stuck with you with dedication, loyalty, and not to mention, cold hard cash like the songs that gave you a following.

This was apparently a joke of a chat. Everyone gets so excited about Shinoda and he drops all this seemingly negative information. If they can't even put 12 tracks on an album that, probably when its all said and done, took two years to make, then I don't know what to say.

Also, I highly doubt this "new song" is going to be anything worth significant interest. My guess is its something like the highly overrated "Lockjaw" or something based more around instrumentation and short length.

Ironic isn't it that you're accusing Mike of being negative while practically bleeding negativity with your little rant. <_<

Edited by arbiter

Man, bullshit. fans won't know what with you is... or by myself? bullshit. They are a top band, of course their fans will know the song. If not, then they will hear a new song from LP and start liking it. Someone tell me how adding 2-3 songs that are NOT single's for once would hurt anybody. It will give some of the older fans to yell louder and rock out harder too. Stupid.

Shorter album? Bullshit. Then have only have those ten songs for like 2-3 years before we get a SINGLE or two new songs after that? bullshit.

Edited by FaiNt

While you're damn right hardly anyone would know some of those songs out of a huge crowd, I'm pretty positive most will know songs that are on studio albums. There is much more to the average concert goer than just rock radio and that is something I don't think LP understands.

Until Linkin Park is no longer signed with a record label, your wishes will probably not come true. They are GOING to play mostly singles to attract to the masses and not just their dedicated fans. That's what the LPU is for - exclusive meet and greet passes, rare tracks on disc sent straight to your home, all catered to the hardcore dedicated fans. You have become desensitized to what the LPU has to offer because most of it gets leaked anyways. Is that Linkin Park's fault? Absolutely not.

Let me tell you about a different band - Korn. They recently just finished up their "Escape from the Studio" tour and played in mostly small intimate venues. They wanted to go old school and they pretty much played their entire first album for all the hardcore fans. How many hardcore fans were there at the show I attended? Not a lot. The only song they knew was Coming Undone. There IS a reason that a band would play all singles and not a lot of their "unknown" stuff. Korn isn't currently signed to a label so they can do what they want in essence. Linkin Park playing mostly singles ties into marketing, not because they "hate the hardcore fans".

Edited by rav0k

Until Linkin Park is no longer signed with a record label, your wishes will probably not come true. They are GOING to play mostly singles to attract to the masses and not just their dedicated fans. That's what the LPU is for - exclusive meet and greet passes, rare tracks on disc sent straight to your home, all catered to the hardcore dedicated fans. You have become desensitized to what the LPU has to offer because most of it gets leaked anyways. Is that Linkin Park's fault? Absolutely not.

Let me tell you about a different band - Korn. They recently just finished up their "Escape from the Studio" tour and played in mostly small intimate venues. They wanted to go old school and they pretty much played their entire first album for all the hardcore fans. How many hardcore fans were there at the show I attended? Not a lot. The only song they knew was Coming Undone. There IS a reason that a band would play all singles and not a lot of their "unknown" stuff. Korn isn't currently signed to a label so they can do what they want in essence. Linkin Park playing mostly singles ties into marketing, not because they "hate the hardcore fans".

All good points. Labels have more influence on the live show than most people realize I think.

No doubt, but lp has bigger fan base. And I doubt songs on just HT alone such as Runaway, By Myself, With You etc would not be recognizable. Figure .09 would be a nice change. We are not asking LP too be exclusive to Underground material or rarely played stuff. We are just asking them to rotate older/ more fresher songs into the mix. Which is not too much to ask.

Out of the 15,000 people at a LP show, how many of them have ACTUALLY heard songs on HTEP?

I would say well over 1/4. HTEP isn't some sort of secret. Lots of the same people go see LP over and over again, believe it or not. LP used to play Step Up, And One, etc...I don't think the album is some sort of gem that noone has heard. I'm sure a lot of people know the HTEP songs. HOWEVER, when he rapped High Voltage over POA in Stuttgart, I believe not a single person around me knew what the hell was going on.

LP needs to learn to cater to BOTH parties. The casual fans get their share with all the singles. There's like 15+ of them at EVERY show. Why can't the hardcore fans (it's not a small number of them, there's fucking hundreds if not thousands at each show...tons of LPU'ers...go to a show and look at how many damn LPU shirts there are...TONS, from Charlotte to Zurich I saw them) get their share of stuff? We're not asking for a lot, I mean damn, 2-3 older songs? Is it really that hard and upsetting to do?

We're not asking for them to play the entire HTEP or even a song off it, even though something like And One would be cool. We're asking them to play stuff we didn't hear on the MTM tour. It's great they added Pushing Me Away, Reading My Eyes, and A Place For My Head back, but they were dropped at points and limited countries got to hear them. What about something they haven't done since 2004 or 2006? With You? By Myself? Forgotten? Hit The Floor? Easier To Run? Whatever happened to those songs?

And don't anyone in this thread give me the bullshit of "oh but people won't recognize them". What??? They're on an album! That is the biggest bullshit excuse I have ever heard. And LP playing all singles has NOTHING to do with labels. LP decides their own setlists, as we've known for a while.

I don't mean to blow this out of proportion but holy shit, people think it's some sin for them not to play all the singles at the shows. All we were asking for was 2-3 songs they haven't played in a while, not necessarily from the HTEP. They are capable of doing it - Reading My Eyes...etc...they've done it before. We were seeing if they'd do it on an upcoming tour and Mike obviously either didn't understand the question or thinks the band has to play all popular songs every show.

No doubt, but lp has bigger fan base. And I doubt songs on just HT alone such as Runaway, By Myself, With You etc would not be recognizable. Figure .09 would be a nice change. We are not asking LP too be exclusive to Underground material or rarely played stuff. We are just asking them to rotate older/ more fresher songs into the mix. Which is not too much to ask.

I know what you're saying...but look at the extra songs that they DO play - it's stuff off of their newest album. You just kinda have to assume that the label is pushing them to do that to an extent. They have to market their singles and their newest material whether it's by a label or their own personal choice - it's a smart move.

LP playing all singles has NOTHING to do with labels. LP decides their own setlists, as we've known for a while.

Nothing? I think that's stretching it just a tad, bro.. :lol:

Edited by rav0k

I would say well over 1/4. HTEP isn't some sort of secret. Lots of the same people go see LP over and over again, believe it or not. LP used to play Step Up, And One, etc...I don't think the album is some sort of gem that noone has heard. I'm sure a lot of people know the HTEP songs. HOWEVER, when he rapped High Voltage over POA in Stuttgart, I believe not a single person around me knew what the hell was going on.

LP needs to learn to cater to BOTH parties. The casual fans get their share with all the singles. There's like 15+ of them at EVERY show. Why can't the hardcore fans (it's not a small number of them, there's fucking hundreds if not thousands at each show...tons of LPU'ers...go to a show and look at how many damn LPU shirts there are...TONS, from Charlotte to Zurich I saw them) get their share of stuff? We're not asking for a lot, I mean damn, 2-3 older songs? Is it really that hard and upsetting to do?

We're not asking for them to play the entire HTEP or even a song off it, even though something like And One would be cool. We're asking them to play stuff we didn't hear on the MTM tour. It's great they added Pushing Me Away, Reading My Eyes, and A Place For My Head back, but they were dropped at points and limited countries got to hear them. What about something they haven't done since 2004 or 2006? With You? By Myself? Forgotten? Hit The Floor? Easier To Run? Whatever happened to those songs?

And don't anyone in this thread give me the bullshit of "oh but people won't recognize them". What??? They're on an album! That is the biggest bullshit excuse I have ever heard. And LP playing all singles has NOTHING to do with labels. LP decides their own setlists, as we've known for a while.

I don't mean to blow this out of proportion but holy shit, people think it's some sin for them not to play all the singles at the shows. All we were asking for was 2-3 songs they haven't played in a while, not necessarily from the HTEP. They are capable of doing it - Reading My Eyes...etc...they've done it before. We were seeing if they'd do it on an upcoming tour and Mike obviously either didn't understand the question or thinks the band has to play all popular songs every show.

Thank you, i'm sick of seeing the same bullshit set list for the past couple tours

I know what you're saying...but look at the extra songs that they DO play - it's stuff off of their newest album. You just kinda have to assume that the label is pushing them to do that to an extent. They have to market their singles and their newest material.

Of course on a Minutes To Midnight tour they're going to play all the MTM tracks. And they did. TLTGYA, VDay, In Between...they all got in there. Every MTM track was played and that's fucking great. Not a lot of bands (hardly any actually) play entire CDs live and LP manages to do it every cycle so I HIGHLY praise them for that, hell yeah.

100% disagree on the label thing. LP has Warner by the balls and Warner is not telling them what the hell to play live.

EDIT:

It might just be me going to 9 shows on the MTM tour, but hell, I heard complaints when LP played the same cities on PR08 that they played on PR07. I heard them from casual AND hardcore fans, that the shows were almost identical. And they were. Yes, some stuff was changed, but a lot of the shows on this tour where they played the same areas twice was similar. I agree with that. I see no harm in asking the band to play some different stuff.

I know what you're saying...but look at the extra songs that they DO play - it's stuff off of their newest album. You just kinda have to assume that the label is pushing them to do that to an extent. They have to market their singles and their newest material whether it's by a label or their own personal choice - it's a smart move.

Nothing? I think that's stretching it just a tad, bro.. :lol:

Well the point is, their MTM tour ended. Their sponsoring of their singles have ended. There's no reason to add older songs

100% disagree on the label thing. LP has Warner by the balls and Warner is not telling them what the hell to play live.

That's not how it works man, they may not have 100% control over LP but they certainly have a say on a certain number of singles they have to play. It's a contract, not a friendship. Warner wants to make some money obviously..they aren't going to send LP out on tour playing a bunch of songs that not every person will know. That loses interest and you lose fans. It's reality.

That's not how it works man, they may not have 100% control over LP but they certainly have a say on a certain number of singles they have to play. It's a contract, not a friendship. Warner wants to make some money obviously..they aren't going to send LP out on tour playing a bunch of songs that not every person will know. That loses interest and you lose fans. It's reality.

Unless you can get some kind of hardcore proof, I will never believe that Linkin Park management and/or Warner Bros is telling the band they HAVE TO play a certain amount of singles from an album. I HIGHLY doubt Warner says "You have to play 5 MTM singles on this tour", I can't see that happening at all.

Unless you can get some kind of hardcore proof, I will never believe that Linkin Park management and/or Warner Bros is telling the band they HAVE TO play a certain amount of singles from an album. I HIGHLY doubt Warner says "You have to play 5 MTM singles on this tour", I can't see that happening at all.

Give me some hardcore proof that they don't have a say. :P

edit: Imagine an LP show where they played nothing but Hybrid Theory songs. I know that's not what you guys are asking for but that's where the label comes in. You think they are just going to let LP kill off a good portion of their newer fans? Highly doubtful.

Edited by rav0k

You don't lose fans for rocking the hell out of a show. Who cares if they play only HT songs? I'd actually like them to do that for the HT Anniversary but Mike obviously doesn't want to, lol. If LP goes and plays a 12 song club show of all of HT in a row and rocks it, people aren't gonna bitch.

There is no damn way the label tells Linkin Park they have to play certain stuff live.

Hardcore proof? If Adam sees this I bet he could answer you.

It's pretty much an obvious they as a band have decided on a certain number of MTM songs to play for their MTM tour. Which i'm sure WB agrees too

Which ties in to Warner Bros having a say in the matter. :lol:

Here's the bottom line...they should just set aside some time for a special LPU tour again, give a real treat to the dedicated fans there and then go touring for the mass audience.

You don't lose fans for rocking the hell out of a show. Who cares if they play only HT songs? I'd actually like them to do that for the HT Anniversary but Mike obviously doesn't want to, lol. If LP goes and plays a 12 song club show of all of HT in a row and rocks it, people aren't gonna bitch.

There is no damn way the label tells Linkin Park they have to play certain stuff live.

Hardcore proof? If Adam sees this I bet he could answer you.

Dude...there were so many people bitching at that Korn show I went to because they didn't play Twisted Transistor or none of that stuff. You DO lose people. This conversation is really getting blown out of proportion when all that was said was the fact that they HAVE to play their singles for marketing reasons. I'm in college for this shit, I study it. You won't succeed in a band if you're playing covers of other bands. You're going to have people that are there for the sake of "rocking the hell out" as you said - but think about all the fans that are there that aren't these hardcore fans. There's a LOT.

Edited by rav0k

Some of you make it sound like no would know anything outside of Numb, In The End, and Crawling. I've been to multiple shows on multiple tours and believe me, people who DON'T necessarily post here would like to hear some of the non-singles that have seemingly disappeared since the start of MTM cycle.

Also, I can be as negative as I want to be. The chat was pretty negative from a fan's POV. I'm not going to wipe Linkin Park's ass just because they are my favorite band. If I don't like what I hear or see, I will post what I think about it.

Also, Warner has absolutely no say so whatsoever in what Linkin Park plays. You think everyone in the crowd knows the setlists before hand. You don't think they would still be satisfied if they dropped a few singles for a few "lesser known" songs. Some of you, I question whether you have been to a LP show or not. As Mark mentioned, there are a ton of people who go to LP shows and have a direct interest in the band. They may not be the ones who post here or on the LPU but believe me, they would be thrilled if songs like Figure, By Myself, and With You made reappearances. Also, I guarantee one of the top moments for any crowd goer, hardcore or not, is when the setlist is fairly altered as in Mike's verses ontop of POA (which most people have no idea the words or what's going on) and the extensive intros/outros that are obviously not part of studio tracks. Point is, it's not as everyone is so obsessed with the setlist that a damn corporation like Warner would force one of its biggest assets to play certain songs. They are going to show up either way, whether they have any idea what they are going to play or not.