LPU 9.0 CD Discussion

hahninator

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the what they should do with the LPUs from now on.

imagine the tons of good music they threw away of their albums..

there are many awesome songs like ATL n their "garbage" and they shouldn't remain there.

i don't think they're throwing away everything... i mean, they also kept stuff like 'laundry' or 'bubbles' :P

A-Six - Love this track. Definitely prefer this complete version, even though the awesome scratches are missing. Gets pretty repetitive but that's alright. Solid track.

Faint - Awesome. Love the different lyrics for Mike's verses. Missing Chester, besides the ending,but I mean it's a demo, right? Guitar is crazy on this.

Sad - Too short, but neat little track. Very unique.

Fear - Always love getting the opportunity to hear Mike sing. I honestly would've preferred if he sang this track. I do think the version on MTM is definitely better though. Adding rapping would've been really cool, it's kind of funny to listen to on this track.

Figure.09 -Damn I love this. Missing Mike's verses, but that's okay. This is a pretty heavier version than the one on Meteora. I love the different chorus, the overall song is very different. Chester tears it up with some nice ass screams during the awesome bridge.

Stick and Move -Not too much to say on it. I like the sound, but I was really hoping for the whole song with Chester singing it. Again, too short.

Across the Line - Definitely the highlight of the CD. This is an awesome song. I agree with what Astat said where the lyrics reminded him of Carousel; I love that concept so that's totally a plus for me. The progression is very nice, kind of eerie at the beginning, with a sweet heavy ending. Very poppy at the start like everyone else has been saying but I love that. I really wish this would've made the album. I think it's a better song than In Between or Valentine's Day.

Drawing - Sweet long instrumental of one of LP's best songs. I like all the added samples and everything, but it does sort of turn into a spaz attack eventually. Love it regardless.

Drum Song - I never really payed attention to the drums in TLTGYA until listening to this. They freaking rock! Props to Rob there. Again, love hearing Mike sing, thought he did an awesome job here.

is it just the cd that was released or the whole lpu9 package

Whole package.

My only gripe is that Figure.09's a little bit too repetitive. Stick 'n Move was a total tease, too...but overall, this is by far the best LPU CD in years, if not ever. Especially Faint. And A-Six.

i love faint, figure 09, fear, and drawing

by myself and stick n move are cool to see those songs in such incomplete forms

across the line is a cool b-side. i see why it was cut from the album, but it's still cool nonetheless

a-six is cool. i think i'm gonna throw some fort minor acapella over that to make a song lol

drum song was my least favorite on the cd, but i still like it

A-six - I can understand why they shorten this instrumental down. While listening to it, I noticed the sounds was just not in the right place to be a full LP track. As the end of the track came into I heard the actual piece of the LPU2 track. This is the piece that basically sums up the whole instrumental I can understand why they shorten it out on the final LPU2 cd track.

Faint - Loved how it used to sound like, gives a much more respect to the band on how they evolve a song from old lyrics to a new set of lyrics for the same sound.

Sad - Gives a simple and short look on how they could make a sample, listen to it and create an actual track with the sample. Great way to see how a song evolved.

Fear - Now I understand how Mike tries to create a new song from the MTM making. he gave the duns a try and actually create the way the song should sound with hums which create future lyrics. Great to understand that Mike create the voice vibe for LOATR.

Figure.09 - Just a WOW. Now i love how the created process was for the Making of Meteora. Created a raw sample of a song, extended it and then add in vocals or some rapping to see how the song can create itself. With this song it shows just how they understood the track needed rap than just singing from Chester.

Stick And Move - This just shows that they really dont have any much more demos from the HT time and before. With this song and "Sad" just being instrumentals it can tell us that there really isn't any more demos from that time. other than Full completed Demos from any song from HT or so that basically sound the same from the actual finished track.

Across The Line - Absolutely love the track. Great song, should definitely be played Live. BUT it sounds and understandable why it did not make the Final Cut for MTM. The song just sounded different from the final tracks, just doesn't sound like it belongs with the rest, a nice B-side like NRL.

Drawings - A nice view on just how much trouble Mike was having with creating BTH. The instrumental sounds like a progress on how they ended up making this track and split it into two tracks. I can believe this is how "Session" was born. with this track there is some samples and some sounds that remind me of "Session". Could make sense how Mike could have made this track simpler and the rest of the thrown in sounds and made a "Session" to create an actual instrumental for Meteora.

Drum Song - Nice Demo to how Rob helped create this demo into a Great song of TLTGYA. Once again Mike is the reason why some of MTM tracks sound very epic. His humming and blabs create the way the singing and voices should sound like in a song. Appreciated that they added this song into the CD.

A great LPU9 CD.

let the mash-ups/blends begin!

I am with you on that one! Can't wait to hear what all those mixers can do with these demos. :P

ATL is epic - at first I felt it was BTH v2.0. I kinda see why they left it off MTM because of the direction they went w/ the album (more soft/emo) but now I just hope they incorporate it into live shows. All I know is that this song is way better than a few tracks that made the MTM cut.

Drawing - I love D'n'B and this instrumental/remix really seems to build up into a Pendulum-ish track! I remember being at Projekt Rev UK and showing up during Pendulum's set - this could've easily been mixed into one of their tracks at the show. The outro seems to get a bit overwhelming, can really tell they were experimenting a lot w/ this track. IMO, two thumbs up

Figure.09 Demo - Love how raw and heavy it is. Really like Chester's chrous, wish they recycled it in another song. It's amazing how a chorus can totally change the mood of a song. This rendition of the song wouldn't have been as angry as the final product.

Faint Demo - Like others have said, it's got a RME feel to the lyrics. I prefer Mike lyrics on the album version over this one but it's definitely cool to see how it progressed from this to the final song.

Fear Demo - I like Mike's singing but not the rapping. As its been mentioned here previously, kinda sounds like 50 Cent and feels out of place.

Drum Song Demo - Really interesting to hear Mike's vocals on it. Not sure which version I like more. Now that I think of it, it would've been cool to have Mike and Chester sing this as a duet.

A-Six Demo - Just as I expected it to be, which is good! Just wish it had lyrics on top of it. It's got a hint of Ppapercut to it, almost like a stripped down version of it... maybe Papercut Redux?

I am with you on that one! Can't wait to hear what all those mixers can do with these demos. :P

Agreed! I've already got some ideas on how to mash these up w/ the final versions. Just a matter of when I can find time to actually do it. I used to DJ and create mixes/mashups a lot back in my college days.

a-six:

this song is pretty fucking cool, but i'd have to say i prefer the shortened version over this; this one has too many extended parts and is too long, imo. however, i will say the "chorus" is really cool, especially how it transitions into the "verse." i'm lovin' the joe hahn on here. i kinda wish this had lyrics on it. lovin' the raw drums, don't really like the guitar tone too much.

7/10

faint:

this one's alright, i was kinda hoping for it to be really different musically. the rapping is pretty good, but nothing amazing. i do like the rawness in mike's voice though. overall, i was basically hoping for it to be more different musically.

6/10

sad:

this one's really fucking awesome. i'm going with this being the initial "seed" for by myself, like someone said. i'm loving the synth/drum intro, and how it builds and grows into something completely different. unlike most people, i really like this one, even though it doesn't have vocals.

9/10

fear:

i really love the melody in the verse. i wish they kept that melody on the album version, but with chester's vocals. don't really like the scatted rapping, but love the one line that is lyrics. i'm not sure if the rapping would have made a good pre-chorus for the album version; i think they might have made a good choice by putting singing there. honestly, i think mike is straining too much in the chorus for me to enjoy it too much, but the melody is pretty cool. love the scatted bridge, but i don't like how it's repeated. i really like how the cello is turned up a lot in the end.

8/10

figure.09:

HOLY SHIT. this track is one of the heaviest i've heard by LP, mainly because it's so raw. i love the scratching, the raw drum tone, and the pre-chorus is fucking incredible. chorus is alright, and bridge just blows me away. i can't really tell, but is that a falsetto harmony harmonizing in the bridge? whatever it is, it sounds really cool. i'm really loving the joe hahn on here, and that are epic screams by chester in the bridge. i think they sound more epic because they're so raw. amazing scream at the end.

9/10

stick and move:

like others, this one is my least favorite. it's mainly just the beat of stick and move put on repeat, and in higher quality. trying to forget i'd heard it before though, i've gotta say the song is just alright. kind of a cool sample, but overall nothing amazing.

5/10

across the line:

a really fucking cool track. it's really unique; i love the lyrics and the chorus and the structure and pretty much the whole track, lol. once again, raw drums ftw; they sound amazing on here. it's such a simple beat, but the tone of the drums just makes it incredible. the lyrics are awesome; i love how they're so wordy but still flow together so well. the buildup is epic, i love the bridge. it was really cool to hear the scatting that was originally "japan," i had forgotten that this was the same track until i heard that part. epic piano outro too, i really like it.

9/10

drawing:

i had my hopes up too high for this one. i was hoping for a drastically different instrumental than breaking the habit, which isn't what we got. all this has is some extended parts and more samples. overall, it's really similar to BTH. second "verse" up until the end is way too chaotic for my taste, so this track didn't live up to the unrealistic expectations i had set for it. but as a song itself, it's beautiful. first verse still amazes me.

7/10

drum song:

AMAZING. hands down, my favorite track off the EP. i really love this one, there's some parts i would have kept on the album version. the intro with the drum buildup and piano crush the album version's intro imo. i would have kept the first two verses the way they are in this demo than they were on the album. the guitar in the chorus is really cool too, i love it. the "post-chorus" part right before the last chorus before the breakdown is amazing too imo, i would have kept that too. i love the harmonies in the outro too. this is such an amazing song, i'm so glad we got it.

10/10

Edited by parth196

My review of this EPIC EP.

1. A-Six- Eh, could be better in my opinion, but heavy and I like it!

2. Faint- LOVED IT! If Chester had sang tho the demo wud've been perfect. Loved Mike's raps, it'd be interesting to see a mashup of the demo and the final version.

3. Sad- Not what I thought it'd be at all. Just an instrumental clip LOL. Bit of a ripoff.

4. Fear- Also not what I thought it would be, but still really good! Mike sounds like 50 Cent during most of the rap verse but still I really liked it!

5. Figure.09- Oh man this was a great one, some heavy shit!

6. Stick N' Move- Another rip off, tho now we have an HQ clip of the Xero days. XD

7. Across The Line- Very disappointed that this did not end up on M2M! AMAZING SONG!!!

8. Drawings- Finally!! A BTH instrumental where the strings are the main instrument! I can make use of this! *evil grin*

9. Drum Song- Hands down my FAVORITE song off of this EP, I heard and honestly, if there had piano in the final version and not just the live version, it wudve given the song more meaning to me in my opinion since I play the piano and TLTGYA was my fav song off the album.

Overall this EP gets an 8/10!

I haven't heard the CD many times yet but I'll give my initial impressions based on what I've heard. The only track I've listened to more than 10 times is Across The Line.

A-six- A really bad ass track. Takes me back to my Meteora days. I think it would be fun to try to create lyrics for this track. I guess I can see why it didn't develop into a full song but it still sounds awesome. Towards the end, sounds a tiny bit like By Myself.

Faint demo- Really neat hearing completely different lyrics. It's a bit weird with the chorus missing but Mike's rapping is damn scippy. The one plus about certain vocal parts missing is you can hear how awesome the guitar is.

Sad- When this first started off, it didn't sound like By Myself. The intro made it sound unique. Around the 36 second mark, it starts to blend in and sound more familiar. I do agree though it's a bit too short and thus repeats too much.

Fear- Probably my 2nd favorite on the CD. Finally some real vocals (even though A LOT of them are donana's) throughout the entire track. I knew that Mike would be singing this one but I was still shocked. It was absolutely amazing hearing the octave he was singing in. I knew he had good vocal range from NRL but this was still amazing. The rapping part, even though it was mostly gibberish, was also epic. It almost sounded like it could have been from a Fort Minor song. The best part for me though was the chorus which he sings even higher on. I probably like the melody on the chorus better than LOATR. It's just incredible and that's the only way to describe it. And the donana's work well on the bridge and actually fit in with the song because of the tempo. I understand that it's not extremely polished and it's still missing a ton, but the bottom line is that you have to think in terms of what a demo is. And when you consider it's a demo and compare it to the other tracks on the CD, it's more complete and more polished in my opinion. I can appreciate it because of that.

Figure .09- Kind of boring and repetitive at first but it sounds awesome when Chester comes in. Love the lyrics but kind of repetitive. Love when he starts whispering though and Mike's high falsetto oo's sound awesome.

Stick And Move- I guess this is arguably the most pointless track on the CD. It's still cool just because it's Stick And Move and I love hearing the Egyptian style sound. A bit too short though. I prefer the version with Wakefield's vocals.

Across The Line- The best track on the CD IMO. It's the most complete song on the CD and it's brand new. I couldn't wait any longer to hear the complete version of this after hearing Japan. It's just so unique both lyrically and musically. It really separates itself from the other M2M tracks. For some reason, the lyrics reminded me of Carousel the first time I heard it. Maybe it's because it goes back and forth talking about a story or perspective of two different people. I love the computer sounding intro and piano outro. With all that said, I can understand why it didn't make the album. And to be frank, I think it's an insult to M2M to say that the song is better than half of M2M (then again, if you didn't really appreciate M2M that much which some people didn't, I can understand). Anyway, certain things feel rushed about it and the chorus isn't too catchy. It's also not that melodic to me. However, because In Between and Valentine's Day DID make the album, I would agree that this should have made M2M along with NRL. The bottom line is that this song is probably better than In Between and Valentine's Day. It's also probably better than Wake and maybe SOTD for me. Besides those 4 songs, ATL doesn't beat anything else on M2M to me. Overall, it's a good track but not epic. It continues to grow on me though and I seriously hope it gets a live debut.

Breaking The Habit- What I love about this is that you can hear the strings much more clearly and they are louder. This demo illustrates the true beauty of BTH and the kind of brilliance that went into making it. The mechanical sound effects are also really awesome although they get extremely odd and sporadic towards the end. It almost gets a tiny bit annoying and goes off beat at the end. It definitely sounds like they were experimenting with this a lot and I appreciate that. This might be my 4th favorite on the CD.

Drum Song- Probably my 3rd favorite on the CD. I knew this would sound amazing from hearing a demo of him doing this on LPTV. The piano intro gave a whole new feeling to the song. Amazing. Danana's still work well on this track. When Mike goes into the chorus, this becomes one of the most epic moments ever. Just hearing him saying The Little Things Give You Away sends orgasmic waves through LP Land. The change in lyrics is interesting also. Hearing Mike attempt the high OO's on the outro was also incredible. He actually does this almost as good as Chester and in some ways, it sounds even cooler. Again, compared to the other demos on the CD, this is more polished, even with all the donana's.

Overall, great CD. There's no doubt that it's the best LPU CD released to this date. Best tracks on the CD are the ones which are more polished and more complete with vocals. My favorite tracks are A-Six, Drum Song, Fear, Drawing, and Across The Line. I think the reason I was able to enjoy this CD thoroughly is because I had no expectations. I understood beforehand that these were demos which meant that we could have got anything ranging from absolute shit to absolute awesomeness. And that's actually what we got. We got a few tracks which were crap and a few tracks which were absolutely awesome. I do wish that we could have had more tracks with vocals but overall, I'm pleased when you consider what we got and how much less it could have been. In some ways, I'm actually glad we got less complete/polished tracks. One of the good things about this CD is that it shows the thought process and writing process of the band during M2M. For that reason, I think the danana's actually serve a purpose which is to show how the song writing process for M2M was different and how the band approached making songs. A demo is a demo and with a demo, you can get anything. So considering what we got for it being a demo CD, I'm happy.

Edited by LinkinParkHotspur