LPU 9.0 CD Discussion

hahninator

140 private messages (still continuing), about 35 FB friends/messages, and about 25 AIM chats later, I have returned to wonderful LP Live land.

Astat hit the fucking nail on the coffin with his review. I have listened to the CD a few times now so I can give the review a better spin.

A-Six

Excellent way to start the CD. The riff and drums feel a bit "My Own Summer" like. Gets right to business. Definitely a lot rawer but the riff is one of Brad's best work. I'm a big fan of the original but everything about this track kicks ass. Love how the guitar comes in on the "first chorus." It's definitely "song ready" - I'm willing to bet there were some type of vocals at one time or another. You can certainly make out the verse-chorus-bridge parts along with all the in between (no pun) parts. I really enjoy this track, got my head bobbing from the beginning. If they laid down some nice lyrics, I could have seen this being maybe competition for Don't Stay on Meteora.

Faint

Interesting track. I like it a lot but, as most everyone else has said, wish Chester was on it. I'm not that big on Mike's raps here and all the action going on in the verses - I definitely prefer the cleaner version we hear on the album. While I love Faint's original guitar work, its neat to hear this in a more toned down sound. Sounds like some harmonic work in the bridge that becomes "stops" in the original. I prefer most everything about the original but there is no denying Mike has some talent with the raps. Definitely one of the more listenable tracks on the album.

Sad

Not a bad instrumental but I feel a bit mislead because I thought we were getting demos that were actually songs. While its neat to hear how the guitar riff came about, its short with no lyrics and just not much to it. I don't mind the sounds to it, I just feel we should have been given a more structured demo of this or another song.

Fear

Not impressed. I am definitely not like most of you on the "OMG MIKE SINGS FTW" bandwagon. NRL left is good and I give him kudos for In Between, although the track is a dud. But this demo just doesn't work for me. At this point in time of listening, I realized we are not getting "more polished" and structured demos which disappointments me because I wanted more tracks I could actually jam to rather than songs that are mumbled, and filled with the ridiculously annoying "donnas." The rap line caught me off guard, I think it would have added something to the song. Nothing really different instrumentally, I don't think there is a rhythm guitar at the end. I'm just not a fan of LOATR and not a fan of this.

Figure

Excellent track. Heavy as hell, I wish they would have kept everything instrumentally about this piece. I love the guitar/bass additions to the verses, lot more action. As all the demos are, it' certainly more raw with the guitar dominating. I'm neutral on Chester's chorus, its definitely better on the original but the bridge kicks ass. Why they thought they had to go back and mirror what they did with By Myself remains to be seen, and don't get me wrong I love the bridge on the original, but this track kicks it. Sounding like more harmonics in the bridge. I wish LP would get back to making a track like this meshed with something like ATL. Wish it was more complete though, but certainly a song I could listen a ton.

Stick N' Move

What a waste of space, true disappointment of record. I don't understand why they could not just put something else that was a bit more completed and longer right here. Again, like Sad, its not bad to listen to, but its just like an interlude piece if you look at the album as a whole. The "Egyptian" sound goes along with the weird sounds they messed with a lot in this day, that kinda of sounded like from a particular culture or something. However, another misleading track.

Across the Line

Mixed but certainly very interested first time I heard it. After a few more listens, its definitely a great track. I absolutely love the way Chester sounds and how he gives a "narrator" type delivery of this track. Sounds like he is actually talking (singing) to YOU. The intro instrumental is neat, has LP MTM era all over it. The lyrics and structure (first verse - about guy, second verse - about girl) remind me of some of Three Days Grace's work. The bridge (wish it was more drawn out) is a nice surprise, nice little scream and cool build up guitar work. Very similar to In Pieces in structure but its superior. Definitely better than half of MTM. I don't think this song sounds any more or less like LP than LOATR, V-Day, LTGYA, or IB. I will say its a bit more out there than the others but the lyrics are great. And even though it has a poppy feel, it has a nice groovy beat that has some edge to it - unlike LOATR or V-Day. Chester sounds GREAT on this track, super unique delivery method. Could see this in a live show in 2010.

Drawings

Absolutely epic for the first minute and half then the samples and beats get real distracting. LOVE the super loud "cannon-ball" intro, very epic. The way the first part flows and all comes in together, I think it would be a great intro to BTH like Krwlng has become to Crawling in their live show. I love the strings and I love when the guitar comes in, gave me chills. The beats are cool at the end, nice to see them playing around, but it would have been better suited for another track. Had they let this get real drawn out with the strings and bass, this would be just awesome as hell. But the beats at the end get a bit out-of-hand. Still love the track though, definitely one of the best on the album

Drum Song

See Fear. Hate the "donnas" and I'm not a big fan of the piano on the intro. The drum work at the beginning would have been neat on the original, but I prefer the original. I like what I hear when Mike sings in the DVD and such but this is just too incomplete to be a "listenable" track. I liked playing the guitar solo in my head at its part in the bridge but the "donnas" and imcomplete nature of this track make this disappointing for me. While Mike kicks ass, I just really don't see why everyone is having orgasms over this track and Fear .

Best Tracks - A-Six, Across the Line

Worst Tracks - Stick N' Move, Sad

Edited by Preston

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys , im new here , anyways managed to hear Lpu 9 , my cousin who lives in virginia managed to get it from the best buy and i heard the songs thru her chat , it was extremely awesome and across the line is a crack and faint demo is superb and fear was totally different , i was shocked to see when the A.06 , the 3 min demo version is drastically reduced to .54 secs and was added in lpu cd before :D , through these underground cd's lots of hidden secrets about Lp are coming out , still in lot in the bag needs to be dug in te upcoming years.

any help regarding lpu 9 feel free to ask :) ready to help

hope to have some great upcoming time with u guys . :rolleyes:

Edited by aravind221

hey guys , im new here , anyways managed to hear Lpu 9 , my cousin who lives in virginia managed to get it from the best buy and i heard the songs thru her chat , it was extremely awesome and across the line is a crack and faint demo is superb and fear was totally different , i was shocked to see when the A.06 , the 3 min demo version is drastically reduced to .54 secs and was added in lpu cd before :D , through these underground cd's lots of hidden secrets about Lp are coming out , still in lot in the bag needs to be dug in te upcoming years.

any help regarding lpu 9 feel free to ask :) ready to help

hope to have some great upcoming time with u guys . :rolleyes:

Welcome, I'm diggin that Mike signature you got going there.

Glad everyone is loving the cd, hopefully the lpu continues to put out cd's like this year after year. Make sure to buy one in stores or maybe two because we all know Warner will not put demos on other lpu cd's if it does not sell well.

Edited by spraypaintninkpens

wtf from where?

Is it downloadable from the LPU download section?

Is the Downloadale song actually the Live Acoustic version of Morning After or is this the main assumption of what it will be?

The live acoustic version of Morning After is confirmed (it's mentioned in the package contents), but won't be available until the LPU9 website launches. It's the same thing they did with Crawling live and LPU8/Songs From the Underground.

my summery after listening through the songs several times:

i just can't get this "fighting for a plaaaaaace we can call hoooooome" outta my head anymore... it's my new 'ohrwurm', now.

and listening to ATL is pretty strange. when the song starts i'm like 'meeeh, i don't know what to think about that' but at the end of the song i find myself going crazy to it... i love it, but it causes strange feelings. LOL

The live acoustic version of Morning After is confirmed (it's mentioned in the package contents), but won't be available until the LPU9 website launches. It's the same thing they did with Crawling live and LPU8/Songs From the Underground.

Great so we can expect a slightly distorted version like hhh/crawling frm last yr haha

Hmm... Is it just me or does Sad sound some what similar to the By Myself intro? (Eg. Live In Texas)

Not at all. The background music from the live intro is the synth loop from the verses of the song, and Sad is the only demo of the song that doesn't have that in it.

Actually, some of the samples in Sad sound a lot like the background music in the verses of Step Up.

Not at all. The background music from the live intro is the synth loop from the verses of the song, and Sad is the only demo of the song that doesn't have that in it.

Actually, some of the samples in Sad sound a lot like the background music in the verses of Step Up.

I guess I'm not the only one who thought that then. Actually Stick N' Move made me think of Carousel.

Just figured out the guitar in Across the Line in about 15 minutes.

One of these days, I'll actually challenge myself. :lol:

I'll post the guitar tab when LPU9 officially comes out.

That's awesome man, anything you tab out/cover always comes out great. With that said, I'm hoping you'll also do "A-Six" or anything else you feel comfortable doing off the CD. :P (Hopefully that didn't come off as a rude request/suggestion)

As for the LPU9 CD, so far its sounding really good. I'm glad the band decided to release what songs they did. Hopefully we'll see similar LPU releases like this in the future :)

ok, im think that LPU 9 so far is the best LPU CD.

A-Six... mmm is a little different than the LPU 2 but i like it... great Instrumental...

Faint... Maybe with Chester's lyrics the song was incredible, a like so much the mike's rapping with a strong guitar and bass, and a love the intro, remixed like Reanimation...

Sad... To Short, the first thing that i thinks was... what, ? i want more, i love this demo because is different than the rest of By Myself demos and have a remix thing that give more cuality to the demo...

Fear... Sweet, the mike's voice is just to much sweet i love the combination between the his sweet voice and the rapping, just i love the mix between the voice and rap... maybe with the rapping part and the original song LOATR live would be incredible, one of the best song in the cd

Figure 09... is the song that you think... oh my god, just sound great, have a lot of energy, the chorus is perfect and the bridge with screams is perfect too... i love this demo...

Across the line... this song should have been in MTM, but i think that the song not fix in the cd because have a lot of things like meteora that make it different to the style of MTM, but have the progressive style with the entry of instruments... the lyrics are great, are differents to the original style of the lyrics of LP, the song is the best of the cd... i want ATL live, you guys ?

Drawnings.... i think is just a remix, maybe my hope was, new lyrics or some different instrumentals parts but i think is just a remix, yeah is a demo but maybe if you write, Drawnings LP feat. XXX you thinks is a remix. is my opinion, a love the song to but is not what i expected...

Drum Song... Sweet, mike's voice is sweet, so all the songs that mike sings are sweet, the instrumental is perfect but the MTM is better, is complete.... is one of the best songs in the CD...

So in my opinion...

Across the line

Figure 09

Fear

A-Six

Drum Song

Sad

Faint

Drawnings

Stick in move...

Oh i forgot Stick in move...

I dont know... to short, rare song... but is a demo so i love her too...

Sorry my poor english but this is my opinion about the best LPU CD

Usually I'd post an epic review like Haninator, astat or Preston but everyone seems to have summed the CD up perfectly so I'd just be repeating myself :)

I cant say I'm dissopointed, but when LP said "demo"s they weren't kidding! xD

Out of all the tracks, my absolute favourite has to be Figure.09. Its the only one that I can dare say is superiour than the final. the riffs and new chorus are amazing and the bridge is just too awesome for word (kinda like the POA demo with "time to sink or swim" but it manages to even top that!)

Its just a damn shame theres not singing/rapping in the verses liked I hoped. :( (ditto with Faint - you no wat i mean lol)

A.06 is my second favourite, love the new riffs. (yet still love the orginal). Sad & S&M were surprizingly cool dispite there length. and Across the Line certainly is the most unquie. Great track, but it would have stood out like a sore thumb on MTM.

So glad they released these demos & I hope there are more to come on LPU10

I still hope we get to hear the "Pre-Final" demos of Fear & Drum song one day. ^_^

That's awesome man, anything you tab out/cover always comes out great. With that said, I'm hoping you'll also do "A-Six" or anything else you feel comfortable doing off the CD. :P (Hopefully that didn't come off as a rude request/suggestion)

As for the LPU9 CD, so far its sounding really good. I'm glad the band decided to release what songs they did. Hopefully we'll see similar LPU releases like this in the future :)

Most of the stuff on the CD is pretty easy, Drawing is just the verse part from BTH looped, Fear is just LOATR without the clean part before the choruses or the second guitar at the end, the Faint demo is all simple powerchords...A-Six is easy too except for one weird part about 2/3rds of the way through that's puzzling me. Haven't taken a stab at Figure.09 or Drum Song yet.

Most of the stuff on the CD is pretty easy, Drawing is just the verse part from BTH looped, Fear is just LOATR without the clean part before the choruses or the second guitar at the end, the Faint demo is all simple powerchords...A-Six is easy too except for one weird part about 2/3rds of the way through that's puzzling me. Haven't taken a stab at Figure.09 or Drum Song yet.

The only difference in drum song I found is no acoustic/solo (obvious), and the power chords go 5/7/0/2 instead of 7/5/0/2.

The only difference in drum song I found is no acoustic/solo (obvious), and the power chords go 5/7/0/2 instead of 7/5/0/2.

Some of the octave parts are different too, they're played throughout more of the song than they are on the final version (where they're only at the end of the second verse and the second chorus). I really haven't had a chance to take a good look at that one yet, I'm trying not to get too distracted by the LPU9 stuff because I still have a lot of DBS stuff to finish tabbing.

Some of the octave parts are different too, they're played throughout more of the song than they are on the final version (where they're only at the end of the second verse and the second chorus). I really haven't had a chance to take a good look at that one yet, I'm trying not to get too distracted by the LPU9 stuff because I still have a lot of DBS stuff to finish tabbing.

Which reminds me, I haven't been able to log into my youtube account recently so I couldn't thank ya for the DBS tabs. But like the person above me, I also saw the DBS tabs on your 4shared account. So thanks for putting those up, it gives me a chance to learn some Standard songs which I need to do more of.