2018.05.12 - Los Angeles, CA (KROQ Weenie Roast + Identity LA)

RogueSoul

Thought pre-show posts were done? You thought wrong! It's go time, get the hype train rolling. We're back and ready for the action as Mike Shinoda makes his solo live debut for not one, but two live shows on May 12, 2018 in Los Angeles, California! Mike will play the KROQ Weenie Roast in the afternoon before heading over to headline Identity LA later in the evening.

The first show of the day - and Mike's first performance ever as a solo act - will be in the afternoon at KROQ's Weenie Roast. He'll be playing pretty early (starting 4:00PM PST to 4:30 PM PST) on the Bud Light Side Stage so that he can head over to downtown Los Angeles for Identity LA afterwards, but we can definitely expect for the set to be energy packed even if its a shorter set. Though Mike won't be sticking around for long, the event will be packed from start to finish! Nothing But Thieves and Bishop Briggs are playing earlier in the day, while Thirty Seconds To Mars, Panic! At The Disco, and Blink-182 will close out the night. It's going to be quite a day!

Mike's no stranger to the Weenie Roast even if its first time as a solo act. Linkin Park first played the festival in 2001, playing just before 311 (who played with Shaquille O'Neal, strangely enough.) The set featured all the Hybrid Theory classics like 'Forgotten' (which has an extended bridge with 'Sweet Child O' Mine' by Guns N' Roses) and 'A Place For My Head.' They returned to the festival in 2007, this time headlining, towards the start of the Minutes To Midnight cycle. This is the show where Mike played the iconic Hello Kitty guitar and played it on 'From The Inside!' They headlined again in 2011, where a surprise performance by the Foo Fighters delayed the set a bit, causing it to be shortened. This will be the first time since then that Mike's played the festival.

Epic... or cute? Check out this epic performance of 'From The Inside' from the KROQ Weenie Roast in 2007, topped with Mike's Hello Kitty guitar.

It's looking like the show will be webcast! Information has not been released, but it has been confirmed that KROQ will be broadcasting the event on their website. We're not 100% sure if Mike will be livestreamed as of right now (because he's not playing the main stage), but hopefully we'll get that info soon. Stream information can be found below.

The fun doesn't stop there. A few hours after Mike makes his debut performance at KROQ, he'll be in Downtown Los Angeles headlining the city's Identity LA festival. Identity LA is a celebration of Asian Pacific American culture, and it's a no-brainer that Mike's involved. This will be his first headlining performance at a festival as a solo artist - his first fully solo headlining performance will take place this summer. If you're in Los Angeles, you might want to organize your schedule - Identity LA is completely free. You'll still want to get there early, though - the park is going to fill fast. Interestingly enough, the park is the same place where thousands of Linkin Park fans paid tribute to Chester in July. The atmosphere is definitely going to be something special. On top of Mike, Jay Park, Hotel Garuda, Hoody, and many more will be performing. Most importantly, though, the food at the festival is curated by Roy Choi - you won't want to miss out on that, either.

Mike's heritage is very important to him. A Thousand Suns is essentially based on the atomic bombs dropped in Japan, and the Fort Minor song 'Kenji' is about the troubles his grandfather experienced in internment camps during World War II. Check out this performance of 'Kenji' (mashed up with 'Castle Of Glass') Mike performed in 2015 as Fort Minor. This would be a great song to see performed.

EDIT 5/11: Looks like Identity LA will be getting a livestream too! We're not currently sure about the quality, but from what we can tell, K-FAM Media Productions will be livestreaming the event on their YouTube channel (confirming on their Facebook page that they will be streaming Mike's set, too). Details are below:

What can we expect from these shows? It's anyone's guess, really. The only song that's essentially confirmed is 'Remember The Name,' as Mike posted a clip of him rehearsing the song on his Instagram story a few days ago. We can also expect to hear 'Crossing A Line' and 'About You,' since those two are singles. 'Place To Start,' 'Over Again,' and 'Watching As I Fall' from the Post Traumatic EP will likely be performed too, as well as 'Nothing Makes Sense Anymore.' It's hard to say what exactly we'll hear beyond that. New songs from Post Traumatic is definitely a possibility. Mike held a Twitter poll a few weeks ago asking what song fans would want to hear him perform, with 'Roads Untraveled' winning at the top, followed by 'Sorry For Now,' 'Petrified,' and 'In Stereo,' respectively. Perhaps he'll only play the winner, or maybe a couple from the poll. The Apple Music playlist Mike made a few weeks ago may be a sneak peek at what is to come, and it's 40 songs long. We can't say anything for certain, so all we can do is wait with anticipation! Feel free to make your own setlist and post what you think he'll perform in the Custom Setlists thread.

Who's excited for the shows? They're bound to be incredibly special, and even if you can't be there, the fanbase online will definitely be keeping the energy going. It'll be some time before Mike's next performances after these (as of right now), but he'll be back: his Post Traumatic Tour will really kick off at the end of July, when he performs at Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons' LoveLoud festival in Salt Lake City, Utah on July 28. From there, he'll be embarking on the first real leg of the tour in Asia, starting in the two currently announced cities, Hong Kong and Thailand (which will end up being his first solo headlining performances, unless another show is announced earlier) in August. He'll keep touring throughout Asia and Europe for the rest of August, performing at big festivals like Japan's Summer Sonic and England's Reading and Leeds.

For updates, be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for live coverage, and sign up here on the forums to join the discussion! These shows are going to be full of memories and many firsts, so you won't want to miss out. Join the LPLive Discord for discussion on the band and more, too!

Check out the rest of Mike Shinoda's touring schedule here.

KROQ (Show Page)

1. Welcome
  2. Good Goodbye / Bleed It Out (Live Debut; Mashup)
  3. About You (Live Debut; Vocoder Intro; Transition Ending; Shortened)
  4. Over Again / Papercut (Mashup; Live Debut)
  5. In The End (Piano Version)
  6. Waiting For The End / Where'd You Go (Live Debut; Mashup)
  7. Crossing A Line (Live Debut)
  8. Remember The Name (Shortened)
  9. Remember The Name (Take 2; Verse 2 ->)

Identity LA (Show Page)

1. Welcome (Ext. Intro)
  2. Place To Start (Live Debut)
  3. Watching As I Fall (Live Debut)
  4. Castle Of Glass (w/ Mr. Hahn)
  5. When They Come For Me (Shortened)
  6. Kenji (Live Debut)
  7. Roads Untraveled (Shortened)
  8. Waiting For The End/Where'd You Go (Mashup; w/ Taka)
  9. Sorry For Now (Live Debut)
  10. Crossing A Line
  11. In The End (Piano Version)
  12. About You (Vocoder Intro; Transition Outro; Shortened)
  13. Over Again/Papercut (Mashup)
  14. Good Goodbye/Bleed It Out (Mashup)
  15. Remember The Name (Shortened)

Soundcheck:

1. Welcome
  2. When They Come For Me
  3. Watching As I Fall
  4. Sorry For Now
  5. Waiting For The End / Where'd You Go
  6. In The End (Piano Version; Until 1st Chorus)
  7. Crossing A Line

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill be at Identity! Tons of hardcore LP fans will be going. Should be lots of fun! Ill try my best to keep a record of the set if nobody else can. Signed up for a m&g too so mabe Ill get to chat with mike for a quick sec.

Oh and this post reminds me, Im totally calling a Dan Reynolds collab. If not on the album then live.

Edit: didnt see that the track list was posted earlier. Oops! Haha

Edited by Hybrid1988

Nice entry post! Love that!

I really cross my fingers that someone can handle to record and capture those events as best they can!

For those in other countries!

I found this stream for Identity https://youtu.be/8Qt-rAhKkpU

Does anyone know if that will Show the whole event?

Wow

Two possible stream, plus KROQ has Blink-182-too.

This will be an awesome,day

I'm so excited for his shows! :D
I really hope both will be livestreamed, even if that means I have to stay up all night. xD

Also it's so great to see all the support of the LP family. I'm sure this is not easy for Mike but it's the start of something new.