Mike Shinoda - Post Traumatic EP

RogueSoul

There's no question Mike is one of the most brilliant creators of our generation, I'd go as far to say of all time. We've all seen and grown to love the Mike he's shown us: the performer, the creator, his brilliant mind. These songs go so far beyond all of that. They aren't just his mind, they are his heart and soul bared for all of us to see and experience. It's brutal to see the raw emotions he's been going through, but there's also catharsis. There's understanding and love and support. I feel like for the first time I can truly see him, like he's shown us what's underneath the mask. It's gut-wrenching and glorious and beyond anything I could've possibly imagined from him. They're so vulnerable and I connect with them, especially Place to Start, to the deepest corners of my soul. They expose the pain I've been trying to bury for too long now and offer comfort in being able to relate with the words being said. I hope he continues down this path for as long as he needs to and shares whatever he feels comfortable sharing, because it's incredible. Truly breathtaking.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no question Mike is one of the most brilliant creators of our generation, I'd go as far to say of all time. We've all seen and grown to love the Mike he's shown us: the performer, the creator, his brilliant mind. These songs go so far beyond all of that. They aren't just his mind, they are his heart and soul bared for all of us to see and experience. It's brutal to see the raw emotions he's been going through, but there's also catharsis. There's understanding and love and support. I feel like for the first time I can truly see him, like he's shown us what's underneath the mask. It's gut-wrenching and glorious and beyond anything I could've possibly imagined from him. They're so vulnerable and I connect with them, especially Place to Start, to the deepest corners of my soul. They expose the pain I've been trying to bury for too long now and offer comfort in being able to relate with the words being said. I hope he continues down this path for as long as he needs to and shares whatever he feels comfortable sharing, because it's incredible. Truly breathtaking.

I wouldn't say all time, but he's def. left a mark on music lovers for two decades.

I would like to see Mike make beats for rappers, he has some unique takes on it.

I wouldn't say all time, but he's def. left a mark on music lovers for two decades.

I would like to see Mike make beats for rappers, he has some unique takes on it.

I don't know man. Pretty impressive discography for Mike. Linkin Park, Fort Minor, random stuff like Wake Me Up. http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/9854/linkin-park/

I don't know man. Pretty impressive discography for Mike. Linkin Park, Fort Minor, random stuff like Wake Me Up. http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/9854/linkin-park/

i'll preface by saying I don't think there can every be a sole person that holds all time. I will even say Mike is UNDERRATED as a musician. IF we go by tiers, he belongs in the elite one.

What an incredible batch of music. I think it absolutely needs to be experienced first with the videos. Even though I'm sure the music was made first and Mike thought of the visual component later, the videos really amplify and emphasize the feeling that the songs have. And it's a visceral, raw feeling. These songs are essentially grief compressed down into three-minute tracks, and while it's a rough experience when you think of what inspired them, the end result is fantastic. It's very encouraging that Mike did this, and that he's said that he's got a lot more on the way. I think that means my hunch last night about this being an opening shot with a lot more in store was correct.

I just love it all around.

Also, I laughed when he said that a fan gave him a wart on his hand, lol. Can't imagine how much shit they've caught from fans as a result of the meet and greets.

Watched the videos. It's not often I'm moved by music on first listen, but I was moved (tearing up) with the messages in each song, as well as post-songs, with his reflections of the world, friends, and then the one where his friends (I presume) were calling to check up on him. I cannot even begin to imagine how he felt, feels, and is going through.

It felt like I was sitting here, listening to a friend talk to me about his feelings after what had happened with Chester. Just not talk. Exclaim, get mad, feel upset. All of those emotions. You didn't necessarily have to listen to all of the lyrics to understand how he was feeling.

I'm glad he was kind (brave? Not meant as a slam, it's hard putting your feelings out on Front St.) enough to share these songs, so he can let everything out. Or maybe at least a little bit.

"'Cause I'm tired of the fear that I can't control this
I'm tired of feeling like every next step's hopeless
I'm tired of being scared what I build might break apart
I don't want to know the end, all I want is a place to start"

These are probably the best songs Mike has ever written. No song has ever hit me as hard as Place To Start has. Dude has serious talent that truly shines here. His uncertainty, fear, depression, anger, it's all fully on display and so well articulated. Just a perfect release.

Ha, I laughed at this because you've been asking for more Mike solo material for ages. And here it is, and it's fucking awesome.

Yesterday when they announced he was releasing new music, I was anxious. There is new music and there's no Chester around. Maybe that's a natural emotion to feel... who knows, there's no handbook for how to deal with this. Also, like, "new music by Mike and they haven't said anything about LP?"

Mike has said a lot of stuff since July 20th that has resonated with me and for that I am grateful. The comment he made at the Hollywood Bowl that said like, "you never know when it (grief) can take a left on you" hit me really hard. There was another one in Kerrang about the 10/27 show that said, "when someone like Chester passes away, it hits that group of fans really, really hard." Just the fact he acknowledged it is big, like he knows what we're going through (obviously, I mean it's probably 10x worse for him). The last six months have been pretty much a living hell for a lot of people, myself included. It's been rough.

I didn't know what to think, like if the songs would be singing, rapping, a mixture, what genre, etc. I am very... shocked at what I hear, in a good way. The music is fantastic. Over Again might be one of the best things to ever come out of the LP camp. Leave it to Mike to take something so catastrophically disastrous and turn it into music that people will resonate with. I said earlier today that you didn't know you needed something sometimes until you have it.

The videos are intense, the lyrics are incredibly intense. Mike has put everything out there, laid out all of his emotions, all of his raw feelings. I'm proud of him and respect him for laying it all out there like that.

The comment he made about LP is fantastic. And then he said he wants to play shows with this stuff, and has more music (much more) to release. Damn. I'm thankful that his way of grieving is to make more music, or better put, one of his biggest outlets OUTSIDE of Linkin Park is to make more music instead of golfing, surfing, etc. Crazy.

The reason you're seeing so many comments across all of social media, Reddit, fansites, etc, literally everywhere that says they are so god damn proud of Mike and are so supportive of LP continuing eventually, etc is awesome. Literally every STP post has been a disaster since Chester joined (and now Gutt) and people have trashed them. Linkin Park has treated their fans with the utmost respect since day one and have made them a big priority. The band being so in touch with the fanbase by doing M&Gs at every show, interacting with them online all the time, etc has really created a unique scenario in terms of a LARGE band and its fanbase. In an interesting comparison, the fans have the the band's back, but the opposite is true as well.

No one in music wore their heart on their sleeve like Chester did. The man is an iconic legend and I miss him greatly. Huge shoutout to Mike and much respect from me for him putting his emotions on his sleeve for the world here. I'm excited for more. He/LP honors Chester in every single thing they have done since 7/20 and for that, I'm thankful.

Everything you've said in your post is exactly how I'm feeling. I had mixed emotions about Mike releasing new music,there were so many thoughts going through my head some that you had mentioned in your post-music with no Chester,the future of Linkin Park. But I'm grateful Mike has shared with all of us his emotions and feelings through his music.

My full take: http://www.immortalreviews.com/home/2018/1/25/mike-shinoda-goes-face-to-face-with-his-demons-in-post-traumatic-ep

"Chester's music wasn't amazing solely because of his singing talents. All of Linkin Park's music was defined by its raw emotion and Chester's ability to make that come across with nothing but the pain in his voice. That's what Post Traumatic is. Mike Shinoda captured each of these incredibly painful and hard moments in the grieving process as they happened, immortalizing that moment of time in order to try and understand the grief he's feeling. This EP is progressive emotionally, growing with each song just as Mike's thought process changed over the last few months. Like any of us hurt by Chester's passing, there's still a long road left to walk down before we find the clarity we're searching for. Mike Shinoda goes face to face with his demons in the Post Traumatic EP to show that he's healing, slowly but surely, and while the battle's not done being fought, nothing will hold him, or you, back from reaching the end of this road."

Absolutely love this. You can just feel the emotion Mike is going through in these songs. And it is tough for them. They didn't just lose a friend. They lost their whole lives, which were basically built around Linkin Park. Chester was the face of the band and it really must be tough to build from ground up all that they have achieved in the last 20 years.

Geek stuff for LPedia: Watching as I Fall has a partially recycled the beat from In Stereo.

The rhythm is similar but it's not an unusual one or anything - beyond that, I personally don't hear anything from "In Stereo"

Edited by minuteforce

Maybe there will be some information about that tomorrow. I will post any details when I will know about it.

I also would like to have this on CD or atleast CD single.

Right now I'm 100% sure that I will buy apple lossles of all those songs tomorrow

Yo martinez where do you buy songs in Apple Lossless format?

Yo martinez where do you buy songs in Apple Lossless format?

In this store. They are available in many countries, including the US, EU, Japan, etc. If you are from the UK you can buy ALAC version (Apple Lossless) for just £3.99, on the other hand, I do not know if it is more profitable to buy 24-bit/48.00 KHz from Qobuz for almost the same price (£4.49). You can always re-encode it to 16-bit lossless if you need and still keep the 24-bit version.

If it's about me - I have no option to buy the 24 - bit version. I can only get lossless from Juno.

At Juno there is also lossless clean version of it (available only for specified countries).

I wonder how long it would take me to get banned if I said I didn't like the new Mike Shinoda songs, or criticized them. Haha. I know that with Linkin Park fans, you can't criticize literally anything anyone in the band does.

I wonder how long it would take me to get banned if I said I didn't like the new Mike Shinoda songs, or criticized them. Haha. I know that with Linkin Park fans, you can't criticize literally anything anyone in the band does.

The songs are great but may not be for everyone. Nothing wrong with that, LP is made up of a million different genres of music so you have people who would rather hear In Pieces versus No More Sorrow, or you'll have people like me that can jam to all of it unless its name is Lies Greed Misery. :D

M. Shadows said that's what he respected about LP, David Draiman too, Corey Taylor too, that the ever evolving sound is a great thing.

M. Shadows said that's what he respected about LP, David Draiman too, Corey Taylor too, that the ever evolving sound is a great thing.

They are probably glad that someone has the balls to change their sound literary every album. They are probably too scared to change completely and that's the thing everybody respects LP for. You can hate it or love it but at least respect that they have the balls to change.

In this store. They are available in many countries, including the US, EU, Japan, etc. If you are from the UK you can buy ALAC version (Apple Lossless) for just £3.99, on the other hand, I do not know if it is more profitable to buy 24-bit/48.00 KHz from Qobuz for almost the same price (£4.49). You can always re-encode it to 16-bit lossless if you need and still keep the 24-bit version.

If it's about me - I have no option to buy the 24 - bit version. I can only get lossless from Juno.

At Juno there is also lossless clean version of it (available only for specified countries).

Thanks a lot for the help man. Got it.

I really like the new songs, especially "Over Again". It's very touching and in the end I always have the feeling like Chester is singing the background vocals (These "ooo"s).

Actually I think that Over Again sounds more like Linkin Park than the album "One more light". I know i'll probably get some hate for this message, but for me I hear more LP out of it than of any song in OML.

The songs are great but may not be for everyone. Nothing wrong with that, LP is made up of a million different genres of music so you have people who would rather hear In Pieces versus No More Sorrow, or you'll have people like me that can jam to all of it unless its name is Lies Greed Misery. :D

These Mike tracks, they are good. Do I love them? No, but they are good. They're super personal to him and what not. I have no room to judge that, you know? I was just saying, usually if you don't like something as a LP fan, you get jumped on.

Edited by Geki

His 3 songs remind me of when he was on a few tracks on the Mall soundtrack. His voice is improving by the day and excited to see what's to come from him and the band.

I definitely agree. I believe that Chester would be very proud at how much Mike has stepped up and improved as far as singing goes.