Mike Shinoda - Post Traumatic EP

RogueSoul

Very raw and powerful lyrics, I haven't seen Mike sing this honest in a long time, I've always loved when he gets angry for real and has no fillter and man, his singing hability has improved a lot through the years, he's very good right now. The production is clearly closer to what Mike does on his remixes/FM material, dig it. I've gotta listen to it more to appreciate it, for sure, it's not for everybody, but I'll always enjoy to hear different stuff from the guys, inside or outside the band.

Edited by KlaytonShinoda

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike is a the top of his craft here. Great, unfiltered lyrics and superb production. That's for the form.

As for how raw this sounds, wow. He has created exceptional tracks, showcasing all of his hurt, doubt, pain and anger after Chester's passing.

You will always make Chester proud.

His 3 songs remind me of when he was on a few tracks on the Mall soundtrack. His voice is improving by the day and excited to see what's to come from him and the band.

I agree completely. I have been listening to Devil's Drop, It Goes Through, The Last Line, and Dancer (demo) lately which are all sung by Mike. Place To Start reminds me of Devil's Drop, especially the "oooh" vocal(s). I imagine the future of Linkin Park will bear sounds that are very similar to these Mall tracks, the Post Traumatic EP, and One More Light. We already see Looking For An Answer bear a similar sound to the One More Light era. I'm a big fan of that direction/sound and there is no reason why LP can't continue in that form IMO.

Over Again is a massive song and is Mike just writing some emotional music.... he's a great songwriter and can churn out big hits very easily it seems. What a talent to have.

An interesting comparison I want to bring up is Maroon 5. They really shifted to pop music big time, but they require a TON of songwriters on each song. Even then, their music is not that great (in my opinion). Their song Don't Wanna Know has like 6-7 songwriters on it and it isn't even an awesome song. My point is that it takes a band with a sort of similar style right now a lot of songwriters to accomplish what Linkin Park is very lucky to have - an extremely talented core songwriter and then additionally some good musicians.

Sorry For Now is just Mike. They brought in some others to collaborate on One More Light, sure, but they mainly wanted to learn how others wrote songs, etc just to try it out. LP doesn't "need" or "require" help to write songs. Their massive discography speaks for itself and with Mike at the helm, look at how many of the songs were just incredibly large.

If they do decide to continue with five members, they are going to be just fine in terms of success, good albums/music, charting singles, etc.

The cymbal swelling sound about halfway into the song is probably sampled from a drum track Rob recorded for something else.

Good point. Mike's tweet made it sound like he did not have any collaborators on the music at all, so using something from Rob that he just already had on his computer makes sense.

I've decided that I'm no longer going to support Linkin Park. I was a massive fan of Xero through RTR but I don't really listen to anything past it much unless I force myself to. And what's the point of staying here and being negative when there are a lot of fans who like the newer shit and will support them in the future? So peace LPL.

I've decided that I'm no longer going to support Linkin Park. I was a massive fan of Xero through RTR but I don't really listen to anything past it much unless I force myself to. And what's the point of staying here and being negative when there are a lot of fans who like the newer shit and will support them in the future? So peace LPL.

So say goodbye and hit the road, pack it up and dissapear.

Well... the point of staying is to be among fellow LP fans. Whether you like the newer stuff or not is not the issue. It's your right to not like what you don't like. As long as the criticism isn't inappropriately brutal or personal, I don't see an issue with saying that you don't like something by LP.

We are a community, not a cult. It's alright to have differing opinions with someone on something while still being part of the community.

These Mike tracks, they are good. Do I love them? No, but they are good. They're super personal to him and what not. I have no room to judge that, you know? I was just saying, usually if you don't like something as a LP fan, you get jumped on, like I did for not loving OML and past albums.

Dude. I've been quite vocal about OML being my least favorite Linkin Park album. Even after a couple tracks grew on me, and even after Chester died, that still hasn't changed. I haven't encountered anyone jumping on me for it, and I probably have just as many people in this community who dislike me as you do. There's a way to express just about any opinion around here and not get shit on for it.

Post Traumatic is fucking great. Lyrics, beats, message...I love it and I want more new songs. It is basically FM stuff. I've always loved Mike's hip hop stuff. Anyway, we know LP will continue. What do you think about the future of the band? Can we expect a new singer? Or Mike will be the lead singer? I hope the Hybrid Theory philosophy will stay. I don't want just one style. That would be boring, but I want definitely more rock stuff.

Edited by FromTheInside

You is lucky I got bronchitis right now mutha fucka.

Is this satire? Because if so, you're very good at it. That or you're being serious 100%. If it's the case, then, ok? Goodbye.

Dude. I've been quite vocal about OML being my least favorite Linkin Park album. Even after a couple tracks grew on me, and even after Chester died, that still hasn't changed. I haven't encountered anyone jumping on me for it, and I probably have just as many people in this community who dislike me as you do. There's a way to express just about any opinion around here and not get shit on for it.

I still can take or leave some of OML's songs. Chester's death only made me see a different side to the songs, giving deeper/new meaning. That being said, I think Geki's baiting based on his earlier post in this thread

I still can take or leave some of OML's songs. Chester's death only made me see a different side to the songs, giving deeper/new meaning. That being said, I think Geki's baiting based on his earlier post in this thread

Edited by Geki

Why do we have to start this matter over and over again. Once Geki wrote something similar to what he has written, people are getting triggered and have to respond but also artificially extend this.

But with all due respect, why in almost every comment section even though sometimes it has nothing to do with it.

Back to topic

Watching As I Fall is my favorite, reminds me of FM

Over Again is my favorite of the three and the one that speaks the most to me at this point in my life. My mom died just over 2 weeks ago and I as I sort through her things and settle all of her affairs, it is all these reminders that she is gone and saying goodbye as I complete each task.

Over Again is my favorite of the three and the one that speaks the most to me at this point in my life. My mom died just over 2 weeks ago and I as I sort through her things and settle all of her affairs, it is all these reminders that she is gone and saying goodbye as I complete each task.

I am so sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose close family and for me, listening to songs like this do help, but will often leave an ice cold sting, especially when you dwell on the past. Regardless, I'm glad you have a song that you can connect with. I have to say that Over Again is definitely my favorite out of the three as well. The theme of loss is prominent and speaks to us very clearly.

Edited by Broman

Says he's done with LP > decides to insult people > gets banned > says he'll change and begs to come back > likes LP again > Says he's done with LP > decides to insult people > gets banned > says he'll change and begs to come back > likes LP again...

Sometimes you don't say goodbye once.

You say goodbye over and over and over again.

Mike said the music for Place to Start was from the OML sessions and that Rob did the drum work for the track back then. Pretty interesting, the instrumental to the song really does sound like OML a lot, though. Is there an instrumental of the song available?