Mike Shinoda - Post Traumatic EP

RogueSoul

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one thing that I want to say, though, and don't hate on me for saying this. But I'm worried about Mike. He doesn't come across as too sane in these songs. And I don't think a lot of us have been sane since Chester passed, because it's so massive. I know I haven't. But Mike is usually very composed and proper, etc. I love the manic energy from Mike, I think it's great in these tracks. But I am worried about him. From the minute that I heard about Chester passing, the first person that I thought about that was close to him was Mike. They were best friends and have been through everything together. And you could tell Mike was really hurt badly by it.

Maybe he was not well composed when he wrote the tracks. The EP's title is Post Traumatic EP which suggests that he has moved past it and is recovering.

When you watch the video for one of his song (I don't know which one it was again), he looks very tired and exhausted when he talked about what is happening right now in the world etc.

Yeah, the lyrics and the clips at the end are heartbreaking. That's mostly where my worry for Mike comes from.

Anyone know if they will be available on Apple Music? I assume they will be.

EDIT: Nevermind, found them on Apple Music. :)

Edited by Geki

Anyone know if a physical release is something that will happen? I'd love to own these on a CD or maybe a Vinyl or some shit.

Maybe there will be some information about that tomorrow. I will post any details when I will know about it.

I also would like to have this on CD or atleast CD single.

Right now I'm 100% sure that I will buy apple lossles of all those songs tomorrow

Maybe there will be some information about that tomorrow. I will post any details when I will know about it.

I also would like to have this on CD or atleast CD single.

Right now I'm 100% sure that I will buy apple lossles of all those songs tomorrow

Awesome, thank you. You're the expert on that stuff. But yeah, it would be nice to own.

Edited by Geki

Listening to it non step. Since I assumed that it will be released as Mike Shinoda (and not Fort Minor) I expected something far away from Hip Hop, but damn. The lyrics are among the most realest I've ever heard. Really, really good EP.

I didn't realize the visuals were going to be music videos. Listened on Spotify on my way to work and that wasn't a smart decision. Mike's anger and sadness definitely pulled at my heart. I started to cry with the voice mails and didn't stop until the end of Over Again.

For how I'm feeling now, Over Again is the best for me. I was lucky enough to go to the Hollywood Bowl show and I am still amazed at Mike's and the whole band,being able to get through without breaking down on stage.

When I go home I'll watch the videos and probably have another good cry.

I think we all knew in our hearts that Mike would continue creating music. As a personal preference I'd love either his solo work or any future LP work to sound more like Watching As I Fall.

I didn't even watch the videos really. I was laying in bed still when the songs dropped so I just pulled them up on YouTube and read the lyrics alongside listening. I've always been an audio guy, I don't remember the last time I watched a music video or a video of a live concert, etc. But the imagery of the songs is so powerful here I don't even need visuals. Mike is so raw here, it's amazing.

****NOTE****I'm not saying replace or forget Chester in this post****

After hearing these songs, reading the lyrics, seeing his update at the end of Watching As I Fall, and the vibe of the Twitter replies - I think that when LP finally regroups and makes new music, they may archive their work up until Looking For An Answer. Over Again really makes me think performing any song that Chester's touched would be too painful to keep playing and revisiting.

They're going to find what will work best for them, but I wouldn't blame them if they took some more time to heal, then "started from scratch" as a five-piece band with maybe a 2 part larger comeback album in a few years. If they went that route, the extra tracks could give them material for a decent setlist, but I wouldn't expect/want them to play older stuff if it's gonna hurt each time.

After hearing these songs, reading the lyrics, seeing his update at the end of Watching As I Fall, and the vibe of the Twitter replies - I think that when LP finally regroups and makes new music, they may archive their work up until Looking For An Answer. Over Again really makes me think performing any song that Chester's touched would be too painful to keep playing and revisiting.

They're going to find what will work best for them, but I wouldn't blame them if they took some more time to heal, then "started from scratch" as a five-piece band with maybe a 2 part larger comeback album in a few years. If they went that route, the extra tracks could give them material for a decent setlist, but I wouldn't expect/want them to play older stuff if it's gonna hurt each time.

I agree, and it's not that Mike couldn't pull some normal LP songs even some heavier ones. So I hope they build from what Mike has started here. Especiall WAIF has a LP vibe with the guitar in the bridge.

We don't know for sure what is going to happen. Mike doesn't know. They need a lot of time to heal. As I said in a previous post, One More Light hasn't even been out for a year yet. I know that you said when they eventually regroup, etc. but who knows when that will be. I said since the beginning that literally the only decision that I wouldn't support is replacing Chester outright. I really don't think that they will. I just get that feeling that they won't. And they can easily work as a 5 piece band. They don't need a huge hard rock and metal presence like they did with Chester. They can make music that sounds like MTM, ATS, LT or OML, or other obscure tracks, like the Mall songs, or Looking for an Answer, demos, etc. Even make a new sound. If they do get together and make new music again, it will have to come natural, I think. And touring is something you worry about after getting back together and making new music again, etc. It will all be different. I personally don't care how long the band takes. It could be 5 years from now. Could be 10 years or more from now. It's understandable to me. They loss their frontman, their best friend, their family basically, in an extremely tragic way only 6 months ago. And we all know how much Chester loved Linkin Park and how much the songs will always be connected to him. It's hard. But for now, I'm fine with Mike doing solo work, etc.

WOW!

-Most honest lyrics since MTM

-Watching as I Fall beat reminds me to In Stereo

-Mike's rapping sounds so agressive and fragile

-Would love to see some collaborations from people who have experienced a similar tragedy (M. Shadows, Syn) in this project or for the next LP album

-I never expected the lyrics to Over Again to be that direct.. LP members rarely write direct lyrics about an specific situation the other one that I can think about is Get Me Gone

LP fan base is composed of 90% of people who only love singles/HT&Meteora era who just don't give a fuck about anything released after MTM, this EP, Fort Minor, DBS etc.

If they don't want to become a club band they need to play their hits and we all know that most of them are hard/impossible for Mike's voice.

Rotating guests per tour would be the best way to go for me.

Imagine M. Shadows filling in for a whole show, he would do it for sure if he's available also I have a feeling that someday Corey will step in.

Edited by JZE

LP fan base is composed of 90% of people who only love singles/HT&Meteora era who just don't give a fuck about anything released after MTM, this EP, Fort Minor, DBS etc.

If they don't want to become a club band they need to play their hits and we all know that most of them are hard/impossible for Mike's voice.

Rotating guests per tour would be the best way to go for me.

Imagine M. Shadows filling in for a whole show, he would do it for sure if he's available also I have a feeling that someday Corey will step in.

It would be cool to see artists like M. Shadows or Corey Taylor come in and play some of those old hits and I do respect your opinion, but I don't think LP fans would turn away from shows because of the lack of classics in the set. It would (at least I hope it would) be more like fans just being there and seeing their favorite band perform and continuing on after such a tragedy.

FUCKINGAWESOME

Ha, I laughed at this because you've been asking for more Mike solo material for ages. And here it is, and it's fucking awesome.

Yesterday when they announced he was releasing new music, I was anxious. There is new music and there's no Chester around. Maybe that's a natural emotion to feel... who knows, there's no handbook for how to deal with this. Also, like, "new music by Mike and they haven't said anything about LP?"

Mike has said a lot of stuff since July 20th that has resonated with me and for that I am grateful. The comment he made at the Hollywood Bowl that said like, "you never know when it (grief) can take a left on you" hit me really hard. There was another one in Kerrang about the 10/27 show that said, "when someone like Chester passes away, it hits that group of fans really, really hard." Just the fact he acknowledged it is big, like he knows what we're going through (obviously, I mean it's probably 10x worse for him). The last six months have been pretty much a living hell for a lot of people, myself included. It's been rough.

I didn't know what to think, like if the songs would be singing, rapping, a mixture, what genre, etc. I am very... shocked at what I hear, in a good way. The music is fantastic. Over Again might be one of the best things to ever come out of the LP camp. Leave it to Mike to take something so catastrophically disastrous and turn it into music that people will resonate with. I said earlier today that you didn't know you needed something sometimes until you have it.

The videos are intense, the lyrics are incredibly intense. Mike has put everything out there, laid out all of his emotions, all of his raw feelings. I'm proud of him and respect him for laying it all out there like that.

The comment he made about LP is fantastic. And then he said he wants to play shows with this stuff, and has more music (much more) to release. Damn. I'm thankful that his way of grieving is to make more music, or better put, one of his biggest outlets OUTSIDE of Linkin Park is to make more music instead of golfing, surfing, etc. Crazy.

The reason you're seeing so many comments across all of social media, Reddit, fansites, etc, literally everywhere that says they are so god damn proud of Mike and are so supportive of LP continuing eventually, etc is awesome. Literally every STP post has been a disaster since Chester joined (and now Gutt) and people have trashed them. Linkin Park has treated their fans with the utmost respect since day one and have made them a big priority. The band being so in touch with the fanbase by doing M&Gs at every show, interacting with them online all the time, etc has really created a unique scenario in terms of a LARGE band and its fanbase. In an interesting comparison, the fans have the the band's back, but the opposite is true as well.

No one in music wore their heart on their sleeve like Chester did. The man is an iconic legend and I miss him greatly. Huge shoutout to Mike and much respect from me for him putting his emotions on his sleeve for the world here. I'm excited for more. He/LP honors Chester in every single thing they have done since 7/20 and for that, I'm thankful.