2014.05.24 - Tucson, AZ - KFMA Day 2014

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the whole tread, and watched a lot of videos on youtube, my first thought was "watta mess".

I found the setlist very creative, it feels very fresh after a very repetitive Living Things tour with only 3 setlist. This is fresh air for sure.

I liked the idea of bringing back some A Thousand Suns sounds, i liked the idea of The Catalyst, but is weird why they played the song 3 times in different moments of the show.

GATS sounded bad because of the technical problems but the band did a great work trying to make the song very energic besides all the problems (i miss you Sean Paden).

Until It's Gone sounded amazing besides the problems in the intro, and actually The Catalyst fits perfectly to me. Great debut, but Joe as always messed up the intro.

Wastlands, was shocking. I thought Keys To The Kingdom it would be the other song but fuck it, the song sounds great. We need the studio version right now.

But, the best thing of the show was the Hip Hop Medley, that was, is and will be a masterpiece. Not only because Wretches And Fucking Kings is back, it's because they mixed 4 songs in 1, lyrically and musically. I liked everything but the end sounded abrupt, i guess it was a technical fail. But yeah, THANK YOU MIKE SHINODA.

Sean Paden is no longer in the LP camp?? Wow. He was with them just last year in Asia.

He was actually with them up through the shows this January and even helped design the new guitar rigs for this tour, his departure came pretty late in the game (I won't get into why, but it was a combination of a couple different things). Sad to see him go, he was the second longest-tenured member of the LP crew, after Jim Digby. I got to hang out with Sean at his shop in Nashville the other day when I was on my way back home from my honeymoon though, and he's doing well. Sounds like things kind of worked out for the best for him, it means he gets to work on GGP and Roadiemade full-time now, and I know it was tough for him not seeing his family much over the past few years.

I know I gave Ben Chandler a hard time over the GATS thing, but I wish him the best of luck. He got thrown into that situation without a lot of time to prepare for it.

Here's my latest incarnation of the setlist. Songs with a * are ones that have substantial videos posted so far (not necessarily full song videos, but enough to tell what's going on):

*01. The Catalyst/The Requiem (Mash-up intro)
*02. Guilty All the Same
*03. Given Up (w/extended outro)
04. Points of Authority (w/short extended intro)
*05. One Step Closer (w/extended outro)

06. Blackout (Shortened - instrumental intro only)
07. Papercut (shortened)
*08. With You (2012 intro, shortened)
*09. Runaway (shortened, transition outro w/Wastelands verse 1)
*10. Wastelands
*11. Castle of Glass (Experience version, piano transition outro)
*12. Ballad Medley (LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent)

13. Robot Boy (Instrumental interlude)
14. Burn it Down (w/extended intro)
15. Waiting For the End (Until it Breaks intro, Wall of Noise outro)
*16. Hip-Hop Medley 2.0 (Wretches and Kings/Remember the Name/Skin to Bone - Recharged)
*17. Numb (Numb/Encore intro/outro)
*18. In the End
19. Faint (w/extended outro)

*20. Until It's Gone (w/extended The Catalyst/No More Sorrow mash-up intro)
21. A Light That Never Comes (shortened)
22. Lost in the Echo (shortened, drum outro)
23. Crawling (shortened)
24. New Divide (shortened)
*25. What I've Done (w/extended guitar solo bridge)
*26. Bleed it Out (w/drum solo and The Catalyst bridge)

I combined the Catalyst/NMS thing into the UIG intro since it also contains samples from UIG itself. Papercut/Blackout may get the same treatment once a video of it surfaces, depending on how it was arranged. No idea yet on the Robot Boy interlude thing, since there's supposed to be a "Joe solo" in between there too. That may end up being condensed into one track too.

Also, big note on Runaway/Wastelands - there's a transition there. After the chorus of Runaway, Mike raps the first verse of Wastelands over a variation of the beat from the Runaway bridge. The tempo slows down during this transition, THEN Wastelands starts, so Mike actually ends up rapping the first verse of the song twice.

That COG version was bad. They destroyed the best song on LT. Let's hope it's just a once in a lifetime thing,

1. It wasn't that bad.
2. No way would they go to the trouble of rehearsing something that unique and only play it once, especially for a relatively insignificant show like this.
3. It sounded a hell of a lot better than the album version of COG did live.

Edited by Astat

Shit Astat you want to kill me. I'll work on changing it to how you have it listed. I 100% trust your judgment. Whatever we end up doing here will set the standard for the entire touring cycle so there's a bit of pressure on us to get it right lol. The band even used our Radiance Live Version idea for the ATS+ release from Madrid. Setist.fm will use this stuff too.

Also to add to your post, BIO had an ext intro and ext ending. I used all of your stuff (with a very few, miniscule changes like the "+" instead of the "&", etc).

I'm pretty much set on the naming for most things, just kind of on the fence about some of the "interlude"-type stuff, whether to make certain things their own track or list them as intros to other songs. I think my deciding factor will be whether or not they contain parts of the song they're leading into, like how The Catalyst/No More Sorrow mashup has samples from Until It's Gone in it and leads straight into UIG.

Really anxious to see the intro to POA, the entire Robot Boy/Joe solo sequence leading into BID, and the shortened versions of ALTNC/LITE/Crawling/New Divide at the end of the show.

I added a ton of show notes. Check it out. Like you said, we can still change some things but we can go with this for now.

Should we call it WAK/RTN/STB? Or WAK/RTN/STB/IMR? lol

I'd say keep the song "title" in the left column as "Medley: Wretches and Kings/Remember the Name/Skin to Bone (Recharged)" (you can call it "Hip-Hop Medley 2.0" if you want, that's up to you), and then in the right column with the song notes put something like (w/Wretches and Kings/Remember the Name/Skin to Bone/In My Remains instrumental). Hell of a long note for one song entry, but probably the best way to do it.

Edited by Astat

The problem is that we haven't done it before. But we can certainly change things for 2004 and 2012-2014.

- Step Up/It's Goin' Down/Nobody's Listening (Hip Hop Medley)

- LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent (Ballad Medley)

- WAK/RTN/STB (Hip Hop Medley 2)

What do we do?

Medley: SU, IGD, NL
Medley: LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent

Medley: WAK/RTN/STB/IMR

Thoughts? I'm open to anything.