LPU XIII Released!

hahninator

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These CD's are always way overhyped. Its cool to hear some demo's, but they really don't hold much "re listen" value..at least for me. And I honestly don't understand people going crazy for PRIMO...the drums are awful and sound out of place from the second they arrive in the song. I wish LP would realize that not every song needs some type of computerized drum beat in it.

I actually like the drums in Primo a lot. Make a nice contrast with the softer vibe of the other elements in the song.

Anyway, LPU XIII review

Basquiat: the synth in the intro sounds really cool, and also, nice guitar work throughout the song. Sounds dark and menacing. Overall, the demo is a bit repetitive though, it lacks new elements adding up as it goes on. Despite that, one of the best MTM instrumentals we have gotten over the years if you ask me. 7/10

Holding Company: nice chill/happy vibe, and the synth has something kind of smooth about it. The drums are pretty great there, really contribute to make the demo more epic. That bass synth which appaer before the second chorus is entertaining too. On the bad side of things, the whole demo is such long in contrast to what it has to offer. 6/10

Primo:cool structure, very ATS-like. I prefer this version of the chorus over the final one, better melody + better Chester's vocals in my opinion. The arppegiato-thing in the outro is great, and when Chester's vocals pops up to sing what has turned into the bridge lyrics, it really becomes epic! 8/10

Hemisphere: on the one side, this demo had a great, great bass sound. The glitchy drums are adding up to that, making it a nice electronic track. On the other side, the synth loop is getting repetitive and annoying after a while. Overall a decent instrumental 6/10

Cumulus: until the chorus comes in, it sounds really different for a Meteora-era demo. As Halo, it seems like this one tended more towards the experimental side of things, at that time. Nice guitar work in the chorus. Bridge is nothing special though. 6/10

Pretty Birdy: as someone said, sounds more or less like a garage band cover of SIB. Some nice things there and there, especially the drums. Bridge is also different. Nothing special overall, I would probably have enjoyed this more if SIB hadn't existed 5/10

Universe: piano sounds cool, but other than that, the whole track feels rather repetitive and gets boring. Interesting to know that this one didn't turned into a LP song, but into the Music For Relief track "Ressurection"...which I have never been a fan of, unfortunately 4/10

Apache: now this feels like a real song, and not like some random demos mashed together! The beat is consistant, and that different chorus trully was something special. Kind of psychedelic, with a a pretty nice glitchy guitar work behind it. I wish this was turned into a entire song, rather than it being included UIB. 7/10

Foot Patrol: that half-sung, half-rapped intro from Mike is nice and different from what he's usually doing vocally. Not much more to say about this demo, but it for sure feels unfinished 4/10

Three Band Terror: the guitar there is brilliant, and Brad vocals are decent. As a whole though the demo sounds like something I could potentially have heard from a a ton of other bands. I mean, it's an acoustic guitar song, nothing more. Then, it might or might not be your cup of tea. 6/10

-------

Truth Inside a Lie: lol at the song's name! Otherwise, it's an ok instrumental I guess, kind of like those from the Meteora era. 5/10

Change: cool melody,hook,and energy. And also,something important, the singer is talented! The structure feels a little bit stale though, and the overal sounds isn't really something outstanding or daring. 6/10

Conclusion -> not a bad LPU CD, that's for sure, and definitely better than those which were released before LPU 9. Well, maybe except LPU2. But I feel like a totally new and exclusive song with vocals was missing this year. Something like Across The Line, So Far Away, or I Have Not begun. It would have made the whole package feel more complete. Nevermind I guess.

Anyway, it's always cool to get a prospect inside LP creative process, and those demos released on a yearly basis help doing that, which I'm, as the previous year, thankfull for :)

Edited by Qwerty18

Wow I never knew Mike commented on them. Nice find. Who knows how many other good posts of info we lost of his on the LPMB and LPUMB when they switched and lost everything. Really sucks.

"This link is actually real...but they're not demos. These are songs I made for linkinpark.com when we released Minutes To Midnight. The first one is actually a really slow, dark improvisation on "What I've Done!"

Someone should tell the people on youtube (in the comments or something...link to this post).

-m"

So the Apaches intro isn't Apaches at all but only Foot Patrol?

This bugs me more than it should..

That's really strange they'd list it on the setlists as the Apaches intro and it really isn't even from that song, as you guys say. I can fix that on all of our show pages, no problem. Even if LP setlists list it as the Apaches Intro, I'll definitely change it so it's accurate lol.

I figured out FINALLY what the deal is with the pricing. Every single time I'm logged in and click any of the packages except the $57 one, it tells me to log in and sends me away from the page. Huge huge bug/glitch there. I didn't know anything about the package specifics until I got the LPU XIII email, which took like another 15 minutes to figure out.

At first I thought the $35 merch package + $10 CD + $5 lanyard = $50. They are saying the $57 package saves you $13, but my total was $50. NOW they are charging you $20 on top of all of that just to be an LPU member.

1. The old $25 package included LPU membership and that's great. But the old $60 one ALSO included membership. Why does the $35 package not include an online membership? Why do we have to pay an additional $20 for that?

2. Why is the CD and the lanyard not included in the $35 package? Previous LPU's that were $28 included the CD, physical newsletter and all the items that were included w/ the merch PLUS that online membership.

By splitting everything up, they are charging an absurd amount to be a member of the LPU. Basically if you want to buy a merch package, you buy the $35 deal which doesn't include the CD, the lanyard, the laminate, OR an online membership, so you have to buy ALL of that separate. $57 combo for that. And the Summits are being charged SEPARATELY, meaning if a Summit is $50 like it was before, then that's $107 for an LPU membership with a package. And let me reiterate that again....no Summit in the $57 deal. Holy cow. You paid $61 ($60 + the $1 CD) for that exact. same. deal. in LPU 12.

If Summits are the same price as they were before (GRANTED they don't GO UP in price), that's an increase of $46 for LPU this year, the highest they've ever raised it.

Right put people also paid for the summits they had no chance to go to.

You can only buy the merch package when you already have a LPU13 membership, that's the only reason it exists. So if you can go for the online only first you can still get the other stuff without buying another full year of membership with the $57 package.

With the increased price you think about it twice if you go online only or the full package. Back in the day the difference was like 10 bucks or so, so that was not really a hard decision.

It's not a glitch, you just can't buy the laminate or the merch package without a lpu13 membership. Otherwise I could just buy the laminate for 5 bucks, and get early entry for an entry year without being a member for the whole time, that would be a glitch!

Right put people also paid for the summits they had no chance to go to.

You can only buy the merch package when you already have a LPU13 membership, that's the only reason it exists. So if you can go for the online only first you can still get the other stuff without buying another full year of membership.

Then if you want to go to a Summit, there should be a $61 (or if LPU wants to raise it, anything just under $70 is fine since prices do go up) combo for people. It shouldn't cost over $100 to go to a Summit. The entire incentive in LPUX, LPU11 and LPU12 to get the big package was so you could get the Summit.

The merch package should come WITH the online deal for $35 total, not $57. That's what's not making any sense. $35 which doesn't include all sorts stuff that the $28 package (before the Summits were created) included.

The prices have gone up absurd amounts for what they are including (almost nothing) is my point. By charging every single thing separately it has really exploded the price. And the quality isn't even there. The CD appears to be in one of those things promo CDs come in...the sleeve.

If you hypothetically want the merch, the CD (since the shit is being charged $10 separately now), the lanyard/the laminate (THAT'S being charged separately now too), the online membership, AND a Summit, that's over $100 whereas last year it was $41. Unless they make the Summits $3-10.

I wouldn't call the package price "absurd", yes it's more but it's still a good price. I guess we'll see how much the summits costs. They should really lower the price. While the price is up I think that's still more fair for everyone cause 99% were paying for a summit they never had a chance to go to.

So for $25 you still get your online membership, presale, meet & greets and the early entry. I think that's still what the majority wants and still a very good deal for the biggest part of the LPU. Buy an LP shirt at a show and it costs $40.

I figured out FINALLY what the deal is with the pricing. Every single time I'm logged in and click any of the packages except the $57 one, it tells me to log in and sends me away from the page. Huge huge bug/glitch there. I didn't know anything about the package specifics until I got the LPU XIII email, which took like another 15 minutes to figure out.

At first I thought the $35 merch package + $10 CD + $5 lanyard = $50. They are saying the $57 package saves you $13, but my total was $50. NOW they are charging you $20 on top of all of that just to be an LPU member.

1. The old $25 package included LPU membership and that's great. But the old $60 one ALSO included membership. Why does the $35 package not include an online membership? Why do we have to pay an additional $20 for that?

2. Why is the CD and the lanyard not included in the $35 package? Previous LPU's that were $28 included the CD, physical newsletter and all the items that were included w/ the merch PLUS that online membership.

By splitting everything up, they are charging an absurd amount to be a member of the LPU. Basically if you want to buy a merch package, you buy the $35 deal which doesn't include the CD, the lanyard, the laminate, OR an online membership, so you have to buy ALL of that separate. $57 combo for that. And the Summits are being charged SEPARATELY, meaning if a Summit is $50 like it was before, then that's $107 for an LPU membership with a package. And let me reiterate that again....no Summit in the $57 deal. Holy cow. You paid $61 ($60 + the $1 CD) for that exact. same. deal. in LPU 12.

If Summits are the same price as they were before (GRANTED they don't GO UP in price), that's an increase of $46 for LPU this year, the highest they've ever raised it.

PLUS $19 for international shipping.

on LPU 12 the shipping was "free" ($0.80).

I think the LPU12 shipping was only free in the beginning. I just paid $13 shipping for 3 CD's, with only one being a jewel case.

As far as I can remember shipping was free only that one time, honestly you can't expect them to ship everything for free all over the world. They'll lose money on this.

That's really strange they'd list it on the setlists as the Apaches intro and it really isn't even from that song, as you guys say. I can fix that on all of our show pages, no problem. Even if LP setlists list it as the Apaches Intro, I'll definitely change it so it's accurate lol.

I don't think that LP would incorrectly call it Apaches intro. Maybe Apaches was the demo title for UIB, as well? After they combined the three demos, they might have not called the song Until It Break from the very beginning, but rather call it Apaches until they figured out a name. Edited by dark_master

I don't think that LP would incorrectly call it Apaches intro. Maybe Apaches was the demo title for UIB, as well? After they combined the three demos, the might have not called the song Until It Break from the very beginning, but rather call it Apaches until they figured out a name.

That was my first thought, too. But I'm pretty sure the title of the final song was already finished when they started rehearsing the intro. So it would make more sense to refer to it as UIB Verse 3 or simply UIB Intro. I always thought they call it Apaches intro because it is the part of the song where it was coming from. Very weird...

I don't understand how people are saying "Pretty Birdy" is just a crappy version, a garage cover, a letdown, a useless version of the original. When I read people dissing it, I was afraid to listen to it, but when I did I was pleasantly surprised. It is completely different. Maybe it's because I love Somewhere I Belong so much, but I prefer a few things in this demo from the original song.

The clean guitar just sounds so much better, it's basically drowning in reverb and delay, it fills the stereo field realy nice, compared to ridiculously dry, basic clean part in the final cut slammed to the left channel.. which I can understand because it was accompanied by vocals, a piano riff and the reversed sample and a lot more percussion stood out. When the chorus kicks in, the chords (and maybe octaves?..ASTAT? I can't tell if they are f'd up chords with a bunch of major/minors tied into chords, or if they are octaves with inverted/power chords on separate guitar tracks, because the octaves in the bridge sound like they're supposed to be played on the same guitar as the chords) and drums are so raw, I love it. I also prefer the bridge in the demo, it's badass. The final cut sounds too fake, and "grided", they used the same octave track for every repeat and it just sounded stupid. I love loose heavy rock tracks like this. One thing I hate in the demo is the bass track, it sounds so dry. I wil definetly be doing a cover of SWIB with elements of this demo in it.

I knew I recognised the name...

"Basquiat" refers to Jean-Michel Basquiat ("ba-skya") - a hugely influential, and very political primitivist NY grafitti artist from the 70s/80s (of whom Mike will certainly be aware). his work is ugly, messy stuff but it makes his commentary far more powerful than if it were presented in a refined and well-formed way. (swearing on Given Up...?)

MTM was the first time LP overtly dealt with politics, it doesn't surprise me that Mike was clearly drawing reference from this.

Basquiat is worth reading about if anyone's interested

Wow! Awesome find! I have been wondering since yesterday what the title of that demo meant and I even asked people and they weren't sure. Lol. Thanks for clearing that up. Was too lazy to google info on it.

So the only songs with vocals are Primo and the Until it Breaks demos (except the LPU sessions)?

Primo, UIB demos, and 1 LPU Sessions song. Ryan Giles song doesn't have vocals. Only one song with Chester on the whole CD I think - Primo. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In the last four LPU CDs they released at least one b-side/full demo (that never released before):

LPU9 - Across The Line

LPUX - What We Don't Know, I Have Not Begun, Pretend To Be

LPU11 - Slip, Blue

LPU12 - So Far Away, Asbestos

In the current CD there's nothing "fresh" and I guess this is why some of you are disappointed. Primo is really great, but we already heard parts from it in IBG. Basically demos of previously released songs are always nice to hear, but people (at least in the last years) are waiting to hear at least one "new" track in LPU CD because the band made it "standard". They should consider it, since this CD is for specific group and not for everybody. When they're showing a lot of stuff in the LPTV/"Making of" with vocals (or even unreleased instrumentals) and they're choosing to release Universe nobody gonna say wow.

In the other hand the band can do whatever they want, and release whatever they want to release. You can choose to listen or not..

All in all - nice LPU CD. Some tracks are better than others and that's cool and usual.

---

It's just me or Hemispheres sounds like heavy Japanese pop song?

I wouldn't say Asbestos has 'full' vocals. If you count Asbestos, must count Debris as well. But yeah, each LPU album since 9 has had at least one ''full'' sounding demo. I guess the one that sounds the most complete to me on LPU13 would be Cumulus, but it's just an instrumental like the other demos we have got in the past for Meteora. No big deal. I was hoping for something full, but we didn't get it, so I have no choice but to get over it and wait until next year.

I had a listen to the album on Youtube earlier.

Maybe my tastes have changed but I don't like it

Primo is great but I've had my fill of instrumentals for a while now. UIB is not a favourite of mine so the demos appeal to me even less than the instrumentals.

I have zero interest in listening to those session tracks

So, I won't be buying & frankly, I don't think I'll bother getting it by other means either.

Final thought: Hemispheres sounds like a ghetto ice-cream van tune!

In the last four LPU CDs they released at least one b-side/full demo (that never released before): LPU9 - Across The Line LPUX - What We Don't Know, I Have Not Begun, Pretend To Be LPU11 - Slip, Blue LPU12 - So Far Away, Asbestos In the current CD there's nothing "fresh" and I guess this is why some of you are disappointed. Primo is really great, but we already heard parts from it in IBG. Basically demos of previously released songs are always nice to hear, but people (at least in the last years) are waiting to hear at least one "new" track in LPU CD because the band made it "standard". They should consider it, since this CD is for specific group and not for everybody. When they're showing a lot of stuff in the LPTV/"Making of" with vocals (or even unreleased instrumentals) and they're choosing to release Universe nobody gonna say wow. In the other hand the band can do whatever they want, and release whatever they want to release. You can choose to listen or not.. All in all - nice LPU CD. Some tracks are better than others and that's cool and usual. --- It's just me or Hemispheres sounds like heavy Japanese pop song?

This. I don't like this LPU because we don't get any "fresh" thing. I mean... Universe? Really??

But OK, has some nice demos on it, and Primo, of course. But has some things that I really don't understand:

According with the band, Somewhere I Belong had a lot of vocal tests and different chorus. Why release a instrumental demo???

Why the Waiting for the End intro is called "Apaches" if the rap verse from this intro are from "Foot Patrol"?? XD