Quick question? Ask here!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wanna find/know the source of these:

- "Esaul" was the name of a friend of the band.

- "My December (Team Sleep Remix)" was considered too dark to be on Reanimation.

- "My December (Team Sleep Remix)" features scratches by DJ Shadow.

- The speech sample at the beginning of "Victimized" was that of a counterfeit merchandise seller in Jakarta, Indonesia in 2011, which Mike had recorded on his phone.

I wanna find/know the source of these:

- "Esaul" was the name of a friend of the band.

- "My December (Team Sleep Remix)" was considered too dark to be on Reanimation.

- "My December (Team Sleep Remix)" features scratches by DJ Shadow.

- The speech sample at the beginning of "Victimized" was that of a counterfeit merchandise seller in Jakarta, Indonesia in 2011, which Mike had recorded on his phone.

1. Pushmeaway.com circa 2001 or so. Webmaster knew the band personally.

2/3. I'll be honest, the oldest evidence I can find of either of those things about the My December Team Sleep remix is in a series of posts I made in this thread on the LPA forums in early 2005: http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14653 I obviously didn't just pull that info out of my ass, I got it from SOMEWHERE...but hell if I can remember at this point. Simon from LP:Fuse would be a good person to ask, he was always trying to find out stuff about that song, he asked about it in just about every LPU chat during the Meteora period. On a related note, I did find an entry from December of 2001 on an old Deftones fansite that talks about DJ Crook from Team Sleep doing a remix of My December for LP's "upcoming remix album": http://defjef.tripod.com/news.htm (it's down the page quite a way).

4. Mike was asked about it at the Camden LPU Summit in 2012.

Edited by Astat

1. Pushmeaway.com circa 2001 or so. Webmaster knew the band personally.

2/3. I'll be honest, the oldest evidence I can find of either of those things about the My December Team Sleep remix is in a series of posts I made in this thread on the LPA forums in early 2005: http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14653 I obviously didn't just pull that info out of my ass, I got it from SOMEWHERE...but hell if I can remember at this point. Simon from LP:Fuse would be a good person to ask, he was always trying to find out stuff about that song, he asked about it in just about every LPU chat during the Meteora period. On a related note, I did find an entry from December of 2001 on an old Deftones fansite that talks about DJ Crook from Team Sleep doing a remix of My December for LP's "upcoming remix album": http://defjef.tripod.com/news.htm (it's down the page quite a way).

4. Mike was asked about it at the Camden LPU Summit in 2012.

Thanks!

I found the info about Esaul:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010623084955/http://www.pushmeaway.com/info.html#songtitlesandstuff

And also found this:

'One Step Closer' was written after LP had spent about 2 weeks trying to write 'Runaway' and it wasn't working so they wrote a song about how frustrated they were- osc.

I've been reading about it for years but never knew the source of this information.

How do I add an image?

Where? as avatar or just in post?

Post: you just drag the picture into your post from the place you found it. Or you just click on an icon on right over the place you write posts, the icon is called "image", and it looks like a picture of a tree. after clicking it you write the URL of the picture

Avatar: You click on your nickname on the top of the site, then click my settings, and then click "change my photo"

Where? as avatar or just in post?

Post: you just drag the picture into your post from the place you found it. Or you just click on an icon on right over the place you write posts, the icon is called "image", and it looks like a picture of a tree. after clicking it you write the URL of the picture

Avatar: You click on your nickname on the top of the site, then click my settings, and then click "change my photo"

thx

What about deleting your own posts?

thx

What about deleting your own posts?

Well, you can just click "edit", right beside quote button. Then you either erase what you want to get rid of your post or you strike through it. But I think that completely deleting your post, is impossible as long you aren't a staff member or moderator. If you really want to get rid of a post, then you can ask a staff member or moderator to delete it.

Where did the "Mike Shinoda recorded Mike Einziger's guitar from 'Wake Me Up'" thing came from?

I've read a lot of interviews with Mike Shinoda, Avicii, Mike Einziger, and Aloe Blacc about the song and the only thing they mention about Shinoda is that he introduced Aloe Blacc to Avicii.

Edit:

I know if was from some radio, but what I really want to know is:
Has any of the people involved in the song ever confirmed this information?

Edited by lpliveusername

Where did the "Mike Shinoda recorded Mike Einziger's guitar from 'Wake Me Up'" thing came from?

I've read a lot of interviews with Mike Shinoda, Avicii, Mike Einziger, and Aloe Blacc about the song and the only thing they mention about Shinoda is that he introduced Aloe Blacc to Avicii.

Edit:

I know if was from some radio, but what I really want to know is:

Has any of the people involved in the song ever confirmed this information?

I don't believe it's ever technically been confirmed, no. But the timeline makes sense that Mike E's guitar part could've been recorded during the Honda Civic Tour in 2012, I'd imagine Mike S. being "on Pro Tools" would've pretty much just amounted to him like...hitting the record button the computer. :lol:

I don't believe it's ever technically been confirmed, no. But the timeline makes sense that Mike E's guitar part could've been recorded during the Honda Civic Tour in 2012, I'd imagine Mike S. being "on Pro Tools" would've pretty much just amounted to him like...hitting the record button the computer. :lol:

I don't even think they were already working in the song in 2012.

They make it sound like "Wake Me Up" was made in just a couple of days.

Mike Einziger:
  • "Over the last six or eight months that Incubus has been on hiatus, I’ve been writing lots of music with lots of different people, the connection that Avicii and I have with each other was unexpected." (Radio.com July 18th, 2013)
  • "Someone from his camp contacted me and asked if I’d be interested in working on something with him. At first I was puzzled thinking, ‘How would that work?’ But then I was like, ‘Why in the world would I not?’"
  • "We got the guitar part nailed down very quickly and then we arranged it into a verse, chorus and bridge and wrote all the melodies and vocal melodies."
  • "We recorded all the parts in my studio and I dumped it into Tim’s laptop."
  • "I got up the next morning and he’d emailed me. He was all excited about it. He’d put some finishing touches on it—the things he does— and it just sounded awesome."
Aloe Blacc:
  • "I received a phone call from my record label asking if I wanted to record a song with Avicii. I said it'd be interesting. Avicii had been in the studio with Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park. I've never met Mike, but we know each other through a mutual friend named DJ Cheap Shot who I used to work with as a hip-hop artist back in the '90s.
  • Anyways, Avicii was with Mike Shinoda showing him a song written by Mac Davis, who is an old school legendary songwriter who used to write for Elvis Presley and other folks. Mike Shinoda suggested that he get Aloe Blacc to sing the song. So that's why Avicii ultimately contacted me."
  • "Davis wrote a song called “Black & Blue” and Avicii liked it but wanted a soul singer to record it. While Avicii was in a session with Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park, Shinoda suggested to Avicii that I sing the song."
  • "We initially met at Westlake Studios in L.A. where Michael Jackson recorded the Off the Wall and Thriller albums. It was there that I recorded the vocals to "Black & Blue" written by Mac Davis and also wrote a fresh idea with Avicii. Not too long after, he invited me to Mike Einziger's home studio for a session to write what would become "Wake Me Up.""
  • "I started writing the lyrics at the top of 2013, travelling back from Switzerland."
  • "The lyrics started on the plane trip home after IWC's annual Gala event in Geneva."
  • "A couple weeks later I went to Europe to do some shows and other things. This was this past January. On the flight home from Geneva I was writing lyrics. The initial lines "wake me up when it's all over/when I'm wiser and I'm older" came to me on the plane. When I got back, I had time set up to go back into the studio with Avicii and finish what we had initially started writing, but he calls me and he says, "I know we have a recording date, but I'm over here at [incubus member and "Wake Me Up" guitarist] Mike Einziger's house and we just started on some music that sounds great. We'd like for you to come finish the lyrics and melody with us.""
  • "Working on “Wake Me Up” was quite simple. Avicii invited me to join his session with Mike Einziger and I came prepared with the lyrics for “Wake Me Up.” When I arrived, Einziger had already created the guitar part, so all I had to do was create a melody to fit my lyrics with the chord progression."
Edited by lpliveusername

Just something Geki said a few months ago:
He said "The Messenger" was written for Dead By Sunrise.

My question is:

Was this information ever confirmed by Chester or anyone from the band?

There's this one interview where Chester says he was writing a song for DBS and Brad wanted it to be a LP song:

http://www.mtv.com/news/1624814/linkin-park-album-will-be-grandiose-insanity-chester-bennington-says/

But this was in 2009, A Thousand Suns was released almost a year later. The song could have been discarted.

My question is:

There's this one interview where Chester says he was writing a song for DBS and Brad wanted it to be a LP song:

http://www.mtv.com/news/1624814/linkin-park-album-will-be-grandiose-insanity-chester-bennington-says/

But this was in 2009, A Thousand Suns was released almost a year later. The song could have been discarted.

To quote from the post: "The song is called called ‘F—ing Awesome,’ by the way.”"

My question is:

I recall Chester or someone in the band saying that he brought in a song he worked on with DBS for the ATS Sessions and it became The Messenger. I could be wrong, so don't cite me 100% on that. I could definitely see how it would have fit DBS's style, though, because it was written lyrically as a message for his kids and a lot of the DBS stuff started out acoustic guitar & vocal style.

To quote from the post: "The song is called called ‘F—ing Awesome,’ by the way.”"

And it says right in the interview that it was written post-Out of Ashes. I don't care if Chester says he "thought it would be a Dead By Sunrise song," DBS has been a completely inactive creative force since their lone album came out. I guarantee Chester hasn't written a note's worth of new music in collaboration with Ryan, Amir, or anyone else in that band in the last 5 years. It was a song Chester wrote that he didn't think would work as a Linkin Park song, nothing more.

"Fucking Awesome" is one of the known working titles from the ATS sessions, by the way. I don't see why "The Messenger" would be anything other than a working title that stuck.