"Why Don't You Care About Me?"

andydlp

Brilliant post from Mike!

"A couple weeks ago, the following message caught my eye on Twitter:

“LPUers r ‘First class fans’ cause they fuckin pay.the other fans r nothing to you,cause we dont pay,huh?PISSED OFF! @linkinpark @m_shinoda”"

Read more here: Why Don't You Care About Me by Mike Shinoda

Thoughts?

Edited by Hahninator

To be honest, I don't think anyone should be treated differently just because they have been a fan of the band for a long time as somebody else has or just because they have got an bigger collection than somebody else...

If YOUR actually a fan of the band? That's all that matters in my opinion! Though if you are an member of the LPUnderground Fan Club that's just even better! If your not? Your missing out a lot!

Great post by Mike there.

I always thought there shouldn't be difference between fans depending on the amount of money they have, or another factors.

I was a member of LPU 6-8, always bought the most expensive packages, collected lots of stuff... Now I'm not an LPU member, though I wish I was, cause last two seasons were awesome. But money's the reason. Nevertheless Linkin Park is my favorite band, no matter what. And I will always call myself a Linkin Park fan.

Whats funny is, that I had this discussion just recently with a friend. He's not a LPU member and he was also pissed about the 60$ annual price.I don't want to attack people but I think 60$ isn't that much. Yeah it is but If somebody really wants to be in the LPU he can get the money. For the guys who are smoking. In Germany you have to pay 5 € = 7,18 $ for one pack of cigarettes. So if you save ~ 8 packs per year you can afford the LPU. In addition you (now) get a tshirt, a cellphone bag, a print and the chance for FREE MEET&GREETS and SUMMITS. I know so many people - fans of Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Eminem and of course Bieber. They would pay hundreds of dollars for just say hi to them. And we get something like Summits. Backstagetours, Crewbustours, Walk on Stage and Q&A Sessions and videochats with the band. We get videos of Pooch explaining how to mix live concerts, we get studiotour-videos with Mike and explanations of how they achieved some of their sounds. LPU does so much for theire fans. (Think about the story with LPFan1989). Don't know why people always complaing about LP.

I agree with his post, kind of. I don't think that being a part of LPU makes you a "super-fan" necessarily. Anyone who knows me personally would go ahead and lump me in that group, and I don't belong to the LPU.

That being said, I wish he would have addressed the price issue a little further. I agree with the analogy about paying to get "something." But, what are folks paying $60 ($10/month) for? Six-ish months in, and I still don't see what you get out of that, so I haven't re-upped. But that's my choice. For others, it may be for the concert pre-sales and meet-and-greets. It doesn't work out so well for me, living where the nearest concert (conceivably) would be 6 hours away (not really looking for sympathy here; I've gotten older and tired of traveling so much). But - you don't see me telling folks to not go for LPU because of my issues. To each their own; kinda like sadly, those who buy Bieber CDs (okay, they do deserve to be bashed a bit).

I wish there were more of a tiered system/tradeoff in place for those who can't go to shows. But I also understand that adage that eventually leads to, "you can't satisfy all people all of the time."

Crap, what's my point? I guess it's all about perception and being reasonable (something Mike did allude to in his post).

People often prefer to complain that they do not have the money instead to admit that it is not essential for them to issue to pay for it. Insincerity. Yes, there are people who actually not have money, but they do not complain in this way.

As a young teenager I went through it too. I complained about a lack of money, but just to go to the brigade. But I didn't go. And when I had money, I invested in something else. And I still cursed that LPU is expensive.

I was in LPU6 and LPU7, 8 I was disappointed (CD, even though now I have another opinion), and 9 and 10 (X), I simply did not want to buy. 9 due to the sagging spirits of 8 and 10 package was missing originaly, I think. But what does it matter whether a person is in the LPU or not? Amazing fans are inside and outside the LPU. Someone is there and someone do not. So what? Someone living in the U.S., someone in the Czech Republic. So what? Someone speak English well, someone not very good (like me). So what? Someone is thick and someone is thin. So what? What would a world without differences?

Whats funny is, that I had this discussion just recently with a friend. He's not a LPU member and he was also pissed about the 60$ annual price.I don't want to attack people but I think 60$ isn't that much. Yeah it is but If somebody really wants to be in the LPU he can get the money. For the guys who are smoking. In Germany you have to pay 5 € = 7,18 $ for one pack of cigarettes. So if you save ~ 8 packs per year you can afford the LPU. In addition you (now) get a tshirt, a cellphone bag, a print and the chance for FREE MEET&GREETS and SUMMITS. I know so many people - fans of Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Eminem and of course Bieber. They would pay hundreds of dollars for just say hi to them. And we get something like Summits. Backstagetours, Crewbustours, Walk on Stage and Q&A Sessions and videochats with the band. We get videos of Pooch explaining how to mix live concerts, we get studiotour-videos with Mike and explanations of how they achieved some of their sounds. LPU does so much for theire fans. (Think about the story with LPFan1989). Don't know why people always complaing about LP.

So you're saying $60 isn't that much *In Germany*

Of course, I don't drink or smoke precisely because it's too expensive to do so (also, that smoking smells like donkey ass and beer tastes like piss). But it is a high tab for a lot of people, particularly for people who are *not in Germany*. I only renewed with the funds I won from a programming contest, otherwise i'd still be out.

Nonetheless, the base concept of the LPU makes perfect sense. In joining the LPU, you are basically paying your way to separate yourself from fans who want attention but on the whole don't care as much for the band. Sorry random internet whiner, that's how the world works. You get what you give.

Now, why does Mike address people like that twitter guy with no sense of reality, when there are actual issues where people didn't get what they gave.

Awesome post, nothing more to say.

I've never been a part of the LPU, just because I honestly think it's not worth it. Sure, M&Gs are great, but you can't be at front stage if you attend one. And I think after the first M&G, the following ones aren't that exciting anymore.

Also, when I see the band on stage with all their energy and happyness, I know that they are caring about me and with that feeling, I don't need LPU to be a "better" fan.

Edited by tschenneck

If you're a fan, you're a fan, you're a fan. End of the story. No "better" or "right" fans, and above all no "faulse" fans. Ridiculous, what people complain about. With or without LPU you're as much of a fan as you wish to be. If you like their music, great, if you don't, no problem either. There are a lot of possibilities to get in contact with the band even if you're not a member of the LPU, just look at all the contests and possibilities to win M&Gs via radio stations and stuff like that. Only because someone doesn't have the money to get into the fanclub, it doesn't make him any less a "die hard" fan.

So you're saying $60 isn't that much *In Germany*

Of course, I don't drink or smoke precisely because it's too expensive to do so (also, that smoking smells like donkey ass and beer tastes like piss). But it is a high tab for a lot of people, particularly for people who are *not in Germany*. I only renewed with the funds I won from a programming contest, otherwise i'd still be out.

Nonetheless, the base concept of the LPU makes perfect sense. In joining the LPU, you are basically paying your way to separate yourself from fans who want attention but on the whole don't care as much for the band. Sorry random internet whiner, that's how the world works. You get what you give.

Now, why does Mike address people like that twitter guy with no sense of reality, when there are actual issues where people didn't get what they gave.

I don't want to fuck you up - AND I AM NOT SAYING that it's not much in "Germany". Sorry if you thought that. But I think you get something. We just pay once and get something like M&G and stuff. I know some people are saying that M&Gs are nothing special but for me it is. Same with the Summits. I'm very interessted in music and for me playing on their instruments and talking to pooch and jim was very exciting for me. To have a look behind the scenes and learning something that fans from other artists can't do. But I am also saying that people who are in the LPU aren't more important or something like that. I am just saying that I think the price is okay. But that's just my opinion.

You did 31 thousand not 31 million, so there are about 9300 LPU members.

Actually It's a bit wrong.

100% from 31 Million is 31 000 000

1% is 310 000

0,1% is 31 000

0,01% is 3100

0,001% is 310

0,0001% is 31

0,0003% is 93 ppl.

The point is that if you multiply 31 000 000 by 0,0003 you'll get 9300, which Mike meant. It's just not a percentage.

Mike actually meant 0,03%, which is 0,0003

Nice and intelligent post by Mike. Complaining about such things is not an option, you must better think how to earn some money if you want some bonus opportunities, in other words other bands even don't have such options like paid fan club. I am not a part of LPU (I am really want to be) but I will enter the club when I start earn money enough to make these spendings as minor until that time I'm not part of this club but I am Linkin Park fan from the heart to the soul ;)

1% is 310 000

0,1% is 31 000

0,01% is 3100

0,001% is 310

0,0001% is 31

0,0003% is 93 ppl.

The point is that if you multiply 31 000 000 by 0,0003 you'll get 9300, which Mike meant. It's just not a percentage.

And today, lpl is educational. :P

I thought the summertime was when our minds were supposed to rest.

1% is 310 000

0,1% is 31 000

0,01% is 3100

0,001% is 310

0,0001% is 31

0,0003% is 93 ppl.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Still, I thought there'd be more members than 9300...