International LPU Summit

Aberu

Yeah. Why should anyone voice their "opinions" on a public forum meant for open discussion? :rolleyes:

It is a nice idea. It definitely sounds like a lot of fun, and should be great for those in Europe and especially the UK.

But... It does suck that its in the UK. How about those in the US that worked tirelessly to get the band noticed here before anybody gave a rat's ass overseas. I understand most of the contests are for US residents only, but who wants a dumb plaque when you can go to an LPU international summit. For those who have many complications and a life, its not easy to simply get up and travel half way across the world to a different country with less than a month's notice. We are not all kids, still in school, living on mommy and daddy's paychecks... I hate when the LPU does location specific stuff. It leaves everyone else with moderate responsibilities left out.

Like most things in the LPU the last several years... Great idea's, horrible implementation. Hopefully I turn out being wrong. Hating on those who are simply dissapointed is stupid on it's own. Sorry if all of you don't like it, but thats how I feel. You can't silence all the critics, so it would be wise to learn to block them out if they annoy you. People have serious issue's these days simply ignoring something if it bothers you so much... :rolleyes:

Again. For the zillionth time. We can't do stuff in every single city where an LPU member lives. We just can't. People have been upset that we do things "only in LA and NY", well here ya go. London. We've never done an LPU event in London. How are we supposed to bring this even to every single fan without leaving anyone out? We can't.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll be going!

i won the linkin park australia competition to fly over to london for the gig on the 10th... flights, accommodation, transfers and gig tickets included! so as you could imagine, i'm now even more stoked (like that was even possible!) that something like this just so happens to be occurring while i'm over there!

huge thanks to everyone involved with LP and the LPU for hosting something like this... it really is extraordinary.

and wth to people complaining that they should have known about this way in advance so they could buy LPUX straight away... i thought it was pretty clear that there'd be awesome stuff like this on the way?

Yeah. Why should anyone voice their "opinions" on a public forum meant for open discussion? :rolleyes:

It is a nice idea. It definitely sounds like a lot of fun, and should be great for those in Europe and especially the UK.

But... It does suck that its in the UK. How about those in the US that worked tirelessly to get the band noticed here before anybody gave a rat's ass overseas. I understand most of the contests are for US residents only, but who wants a dumb plaque when you can go to an LPU international summit. For those who have many complications and a life, its not easy to simply get up and travel half way across the world to a different country with less than a month's notice. We are not all kids, still in school, living on mommy and daddy's paychecks... I hate when the LPU does location specific stuff. It leaves everyone else with moderate responsibilities left out.

Like most things in the LPU the last several years... Great idea's, horrible implementation. Hopefully I turn out being wrong. Hating on those who are simply dissapointed is stupid on it's own. Sorry if all of you don't like it, but thats how I feel. You can't silence all the critics, so it would be wise to learn to block them out if they annoy you. People have serious issue's these days simply ignoring something if it bothers you so much... :rolleyes:

Dude, there is a difference between complaining, criticism and general whining for the sake of whining at every little thing. Yours is whining for the sake of whining. In case you haven't noticed, the world is a big place. Secondly, the band can only be in one place at a time. Third, anyone with an ounce of intellect is perfectly aware that not everyone will be able to attend this event. I doubt LP rented out a stadium for this event or a place to fit the entire LPU. Lastly, this is obviously a very new creation of the LPU. There is no way any sane person will institute an event all over the world for the first time(disregarding the fact that LP cannot be in more than one place at a time) without first trying it out to see how it goes. You don't have a magic crystal ball and cannot say for certain what the band will or will not do in the future.

Edited by arbiter

In general, this is a good idea. Taking the "LPU meetup" concept that's been organized by members a few times before and turning it into an officially-sanctioned event is something that does add a lot to the LPU experience. I just have a couple thoughts on how to make it better:

-Vary the locations they're held at. Obviously major cities are the way to go, but ideally, if this is going to turn into an annual event, it would probably be best to do them in a different region each time. If this year's is in London, have next year's in Tokyo, Sydney, Berlin, Chicago, or somewhere like that. There will always be people who can't make it, but switching it up will hopefully get people who couldn't make it this year to come to future ones. I'd imagine this is already something LPU plans on doing, I'm just bringing it up now.

-Announce it farther in advance! For something that LPU members worldwide are all invited to, 22 days isn't a lot of time, even for people who could actually afford it. I won't be able to go this year anyway, but even if I could, my next paycheck comes on the 29th, then I would have to put in the time off request at work no later than the 2nd, which would leave me just over a week to book a flight and a hotel. Trips to London for people that live halfway around the world are generally things that we need to plan several months in advance, unless we're rich and don't work.

There are seriously people complaining about this just because the event will take place in London? It is impossible to please everyone around the world and we should be happy the LPU makes those events possible.

I'm sure, they'll choose another city the next time and other people are lucky. In my opinion, it's a really good idea and I can't wait to hear some reports :)

-Announce it farther in advance! For something that LPU members worldwide are all invited to, 22 days isn't a lot of time, even for people who could actually afford it. I won't be able to go this year anyway, but even if I could, my next paycheck comes on the 29th, then I would have to put in the time off request at work no later than the 2nd, which would leave me just over a week to book a flight and a hotel. Trips to London for people that live halfway around the world are generally things that we need to plan several months in advance, unless we're rich and don't work.

this.

Well I'm flying there on thuesday so i'm able lol

So you have no school and you're unemployed?

Seriously this should be at the weekend. For now it's ok because you can't move the london shows but for the next time do it on a weekend.

Its an awesome idea and I applaud LP for the concept but realistically, the vast majority of LPU members won't be able to attend nor will they be able to attend future events should they choose to hold another.

Yes, I'm only in Ireland but the cost alone is not worth it to me. Flights, accommodation, LPUX membership and spending money would add up to a seriously expensive trip. Not to mention, taking time off work.

If this is the type of exclusive stuff thats lined up for LPUX members then personally, its not worth renewing my membership. Yes, most members will love this stuff and hopefully take advantage but in the real world earning a living and family takes priority over something like this...no matter how much I love and support LP!

For all those attending, I really hope it lives up to expectations and you have a kickass time.

For the rest of us, we await the LPUX cd info (at least I can afford that...I hope!)

Edited by andydlp

Regarding doing this during the week....

Linkin Park doesn't book their shows around the Summit. We booked the Summit around Linkin Park. They only have 2 weekend shows on the Europe tour, none are in MAJOR cities. We wanted to do this first one in a big enough city where it could be huge and easier for people to get to rather than Herning, Denmark or Linz, Austria. That's just how things worked out. I know a lot of people can't do stuff like this during the week, but we didn't have another option.

Announcing so close to date of the show....

Agreed. It would have been ideal to announce earlier. If we could have, we would have. There's A LOT that goes into planning an event like this. We've been working non-stop on this for weeks now. Since we now know a little better how to do something like this, it will hopefully be easier to announce stuff like this further ahead of time in the future.

Agreed. It would have been ideal to announce earlier. If we could have, we would have. There's A LOT that goes into planning an event like this. We've been working non-stop on this for weeks now. Since we now know a little better how to do something like this, it will hopefully be easier to announce stuff like this further ahead of time in the future.

Your awesome. Thanks for always giving us info and helping us understand the inner workings of the LPU. Can't wait to hear more about this.

Adam - does the Summit start at 11am on both days? On the Events page on LPU it just says 11am so I just wanted to clarify as I have to sort things out at work asap. Thanks for your help.

Day 1: not sure when we'll start stuff. Day 2: we're shooting for 11am. If anything, it will probably be a little later than that. We have to secure a few more details before we know for sure! We might have stuff on Day 2 earlier than that, but the main event at the O2 will probably be around 11am.

Regarding doing this during the week....

Linkin Park doesn't book their shows around the Summit. We booked the Summit around Linkin Park. They only have 2 weekend shows on the Europe tour, none are in MAJOR cities. We wanted to do this first one in a big enough city where it could be huge and easier for people to get to rather than Herning, Denmark or Linz, Austria. That's just how things worked out. I know a lot of people can't do stuff like this during the week, but we didn't have another option.

Then why not doing it independently from an (real) LP show....do the summit (on a weekend ;) and let LP play a little set just for the LPU'ers. I know that's easy to say and hard to realize...but it's just an suggestion.

Then why not doing it independently from an (real) LP show....do the summit (on a weekend ;) and let LP play a little set just for the LPU'ers. I know that's easy to say and hard to realize...but it's just an suggestion.

Because then we'd have to rent a venue for a whole new day, which costs LOTS of money and means the cost of YOU going to the event would be MORE money.