"Running From My Shadow" Coming 5/24

hahninator

This song definitely exceeded my expectations. Mike's verse are on point. Both the delivery and the lyrics showcase some of his best abilities. The chorus is super catchy, reminds me very much of OML. Considering the fact Ross Golan has writing credits, I wouldn't be surprised if it was written during the OML sessions. The ending is pretty cool. grandson's singing gets a little too weird for me at some point though lol. Overall, the song almost reaches PTEP level IMO.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For once I am going to hold off until the album comes out to hear this song. They are releasing too much music IMO. 7 songs is outrageous even though there are 16 songs. Would prefer maybe 2 songs, a single and a bonus. The EP takes it to 5.

For once I am going to hold off until the album comes out to hear this song. They are releasing too much music IMO. 7 songs is outrageous even though there are 16 songs. Would prefer maybe 2 songs, a single and a bonus. The EP takes it to 5.

Same haha. I'm saving RFMS until June 15th, the six songs released before this will do.

He released the EP when nobody knew it would be part of an album. Why he didn’t just release a lead single and then the album, idk. When you’re gonna release 7 songs from an album, at that point, why even release an album, just release singles whenever like a lot of modern artists do. I thought June was a super late release date anyways, because it’s even like the middle of June. Should have came out in like March. Or waited and just released the first single that way we only had a small wait. The thing about Linkin Park that has bothered me in recent years is that the gap between the first music that we hear and the album is so big. Why?? It kills the hype of the album to me and usually just frustrates me into not even care about waiting for the album anymore. MTM did it right. WID dropped in late April and MTM dropped a month later in May. ATS had a similar wait basically. Didn't The Catalyst drop in early August and then the album dropped in September?

Edited by Geki

It's a good strategy... He's out there as a debut artist he just doesn't want to be the linkin park guy.

Mike is and always was Linkin Park, but yeah. I guess it's a good strategy to get some songs out there circulating. Just wish he dropped the album differently. Either way, fuck it, it'll still be good.

He released the EP when nobody knew it would be part of an album. Why he didn’t just release a lead single and then the album, idk. When you’re gonna release 7 songs from an album, at that point, why even release an album, just release singles whenever like a lot of modern artists do. I thought June was a super late release date anyways, because it’s even like the middle of June. Should have came out in like March. Or waited and just released the first single that way we only had a small wait. The thing about Linkin Park that has bothered me in recent years is that the gap between the first music that we hear and the album is so big. Why?? It kills the hype of the album to me and usually just frustrates me into not even care about waiting for the album anymore. MTM did it right. WID dropped in late April and MTM dropped a month later in May. ATS had a similar wait basically. Didn't The Catalyst drop in early August and then the album dropped in September?

I'll never forget the whiplash from excitement to disappointment when Heavy debuted in February, but then we were told the album wasn't coming until May. I didn't understand why there was such a long gap. Then by the time the album came out, they had released 40% of it already.

Edited by Justin

The singles-before-albums model is simply just a lot more effective than releasing one or two singles before an album. Like any industry, the music industry is fluid. That's why streaming became the dominant platform and vinyl is on a comeback. Things change. And while I can't say anything for certain, the band worked on MTM for ages. It was meant to be a big, if not surprising comeback. Dropping a single then the album coming out shortly thereafter is riding off the coattails of that hype.

And in the case of Post Traumatic, the album wasn't even finished until early this month. That means from May 12 to June 15, they have just over a month to make the CDs, make the vinyls, get the packages set, get the advertisements ready, get it all shipped, get all of that set up internationally, and so forth. It only makes sense for Post Traumatic to have this drawn out cycle because Mike's still technically a developing new artist. Sure, he's in Linkin Park. That doesn't mean all the millions of fans LP has will go out of their way to listen to his music. He has to build a new audience and there's loads of behind-the-scenes stuff he has to do to make sure the album is ready for release day.

And if you don't like pre-release tracks, then its up to you to not listen to them. Do what Mark does, just hold out. Just because they're released doesn't mean you're obligated to listen to them.

To add to your point. There are probably millions of more casual fans that have no idea what the name of any of the band members are. For example, I like the band New Politics but I don't know a single member's name. Just because somebody is a Linkin Park fan doesn't mean they'll hear the name Mike Shinoda and make the connection. Hell my brother had no idea that the guy from Fort Minor and Linkin Park are the same guy despite having songs by both on his playlists for years.

To add to your point. There are probably millions of more casual fans that have no idea what the name of any of the band members are. For example, I like the band New Politics but I don't know a single member's name. Just because somebody is a Linkin Park fan doesn't mean they'll hear the name Mike Shinoda and make the connection. Hell my brother had no idea that the guy from Fort Minor and Linkin Park are the same guy despite having songs by both on his playlists for years.

For YEARS I thought the band had 3 different vocalists because I saw ITE for the first time on TV watching Chester with his classic "Super Saiyan" short haircut and then a few months later I remember also watching the Numb/Encore MTV music video that they did and I saw 2 guys with a cap, realizing one of them was the rapper (didn't even know his name was Mike Shinoda) and the other one, wich I thought he was new to the band.

This type of things can easily happen even if you know them for a long time, so, yeah, completely agree with RogueSoul and you, he's gonna work his ass off if he wants to truly success as a single artist, but I'm sure if he plays in places like Russia or Japan he will sold out.

Edited by KlaytonShinoda

As example only radio in the US are playing Mike´s new stuff from Post Traumatic...

Never heard a new track played in Germany or even talking about Linkin Park/Mike Shinoda after last year at radio...

I hope this change after the release and the international gain more interest in solo Mike.

As example only radio in the US are playing Mike´s new stuff from Post Traumatic...

Never heard a new track played in Germany or even talking about Linkin Park/Mike Shinoda after last year at radio...

I hope this change after the release and the international gain more interest in solo Mike.

Same here in The Netherlands. I've requested several times to play something from Post Traumatic, instead doing that they either play "What I've Done" or "Where'd You Go". I'm looking at you 3fm smh.

Same here in The Netherlands. I've requested several times to play something from Post Traumatic, instead doing that they either play "What I've Done" or "Where'd You Go". I'm looking at you 3fm smh.

Gotta agree with you. Outside US, casual fans, they dont even know Mike releasing solo materials (eventhough he already released 7 songs). and warner music representative on my country doesnt even promote him as much as other artist (Ed Sheeran, Cardi B, Clean Bandit, etc.)

Radio station wont bother to play any song from him (as they think he's not relevant to mainstream music).

Edited by Stranger