Is it over with Linkin Park?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The band themselves don't even know, what they're going to do in the future. We should really give them some time to sort things out...

Chester was the voice of Linkin Park, he wrote the lyrics. It's definitely going to be really hard to accept the fact that the band goes on with some other vocalist.

I don't really have opinion on whether they should continue, or break up at this point.

But if they decide that this is the end, all of them will surely find their paths. Mike is more likely going to do Fort Minor / produce other artists, Joe is going to go back to art/filmmaking, I can see Rob, Dave and Brad either playing with other artists, or retiring as a musicians.

My preference, if they continue, would be to just continue as a 5-piece and have Chester's vocals on playback with an empty mic stand under a spotlight at his spot at the front of the stage. Maybe collaborate with other artists in the future but never actually try to replace him. I don't think you can replace him anyway, you'd need two people to cover everything he could do vocally, and you're never going to replace his stage presence and personality.

But ultimately, my preference means nothing and I'll support whatever decision they make. It's too soon to be thinking long-term anyway.

My preference, if they continue, would be to just continue as a 5-piece and have Chester's vocals on playback with an empty mic stand under a spotlight at his spot at the front of the stage. Maybe collaborate with other artists in the future but never actually try to replace him. I don't think you can replace him anyway, you'd need two people to cover everything he could do vocally, and you're never going to replace his stage presence and personality.

I agree with this. This feels like the right thing for them to do if they want to keep performing.

But ultimately, my preference means nothing and I'll support whatever decision they make. It's too soon to be thinking long-term anyway.

I also agree with this if they do decide to continue as Linkin Park. Chester cannot be replaced, his voice is so damn unique. I won't be upset if they just break up all together either.

I think eventually Mike will make new music through Fort Minor or something completely different with or without the guys. He just might quit all together and go back into his art career too, who knows.

That would be incredibly sad for all the band members to relive each night. I doubt that happens.

There is also the possibility that they continue to make music together, but under a different name.

Audioslave = the members of Rage Against the Machine starting over with a new vocalist.

Alter Bridge = the members of Creed starting over with a new vocalist.

Granted, Zack De La Rocha and Scott Stapp are both alive and well, but my point is that there is a precedent for a band staying together while embarking on something completely new with a new vocalist. The question is at this stage in their careers, do the guys really want to do that? Do they even want to be in a band that Chester isn't the singer of?

Mike is the only member of the band that I feel will absolutely continue making music either way. I know Joe has interests outside of music that he may wish to pursue now that he's lost Chester. I'm not sure about the other guys.

Whatever happens, we won't know until the band has had sufficient time to grieve and gather themselves to the point where thinking about this is something they can handle. These guys were ready to go out on tour next week, then suddenly their best friend and vocalist is gone and the future of their careers in music is in question. I can't imagine what they're feeling right now.

This

Audioslave = the members of Rage Against the Machine starting over with a new vocalist.

Alter Bridge = the members of Creed starting over with a new vocalist.

There are also bands that continued on with a new singer after theirs died like AC/DC and Alice In Chains. Whatever happens I'm sure the band will choose what's best for themselves, their families, and their fans - whatever that may be.

Well, we now know that the North American Tour's been cancelled, but what about the rest of the shows this year?

https://twitter.com/LiveNation/status/888522583276007424

https://www.facebook.com/LiveNation/posts/10154691241657031

I imagine they'd get cancelled as well?

It's possible they canceled the US tour just because it's so close. By November, they may have a better grasp of where the band is gonna go.

I think they should continue as a 5 member band, under their old name Xero. Because Xero was basically those 5 guys (in the beginning with Mark Wakefield). I think Mike is capable of being a lead vocalist at this point.

I also think that Chester deserves an album by LP members that is about him with some of his demo vocals and a song that is written especially for him. Kinda like the album Nightmare by A7X was about The Rev, and So Far Away (it was partially written before the death of Jimmy) and Saint James was written for him.

They don't have many songs that can be performed with only Mike on vocals. I can't see them go on tour as a 5-piece with Chester's vocals played from tape, that would be really weird.

I think they're either going to do a tribute show with guest vocalists and then split up, or find a new vocalist who will be able to sing Chester's parts.

Probably the biggest question that the band will have for themselves is going to be "What would be Chester's will ? Would he want us to carry on, or just leave it as it is ?"

Probably the biggest question that the band will have for themselves is going to be "What would be Chester's will ? Would he want us to carry on, or just leave it as it is ?"

So right. I still can't imagine that Chester wanted the other 5 to stop making music. But they need time to figure that out and need them to give them that time.

Personally, I can see them making music with Mike as lead vocalist, he is capable of doing that. Performing live is a whole other scenario since they depend on Chester's voice.

So Far Away

If I remember correctly, Synyster Gates was the sole songwriter of that song. He wrote all the lyrics & I think all of the music too after The Rev's death. "The River" by Good Charlotte that features Matt and Synyster was written before The Rev's death, I think.

If I remember correctly, Synyster Gates was the sole songwriter of that song. He wrote all the lyrics & I think all of the music too after The Rev's death. "The River" by Good Charlotte that features Matt and Synyster was written before The Rev's death, I think.

If I remember correctly Synyster originally wrote the song (or parts of it) when his uncle died and the song was originally dedicated for him, but as rev died he rewrote the song for him I think. I don't think the river has anything to do with the rev.

If I remember correctly Synyster originally wrote the song (or parts of it) when his uncle died and the song was originally dedicated for him, but as rev died he rewrote the song for him I think. I don't think the river has anything to do with the rev.

I know The River has nothing to do with The Rev, I mentioned it as I thought you might've been confused about it. Synyster indeed wrote the song in the beginning as honor for his late grandfather, just read an article about it.

Actually I think if they continue, they'll keep their name. Just think about the name "Linkin Park". Everyone knows it, it's near to a brand than just the name of a band. They have Linkin Park Underground, a huge fan base and they are famous to at least two different generations. I doubt that they'll rename themself. They rather stop doing music at all

Actually I think if they continue, they'll keep their name. Just think about the name "Linkin Park". Everyone knows it, it's near to a brand than just the name of a band. They have Linkin Park Underground, a huge fan base and they are famous to at least two different generations. I doubt that they'll rename themself. They rather stop doing music at all

It will take them time to heal and get to a place where they can even think about what's going to happen... but if they continue, I feel it will be to honor their friend Chester and keep his name alive through all of the future music they create.

I think this would be kinda morbid, think of a song like Papercut where they always ran and jumped together on stage and hugged each other during the bridge or the outro. A lot of things just wouldn't work.

I think this would be kinda morbid, think of a song like Papercut where they always ran and jumped together on stage and hugged each other during the bridge or the outro. A lot of things just wouldn't work.

I think he had in mind something like Prophets of Rage have been doing, where the singer leaves the stage, and the surviving members of Audioslave play Like a Stone instrumentally, shine a spotlight on an empty mic, and let the crowd sing. What he suggested is a little different but there is precedent for it. Just not for an entire show

I think maybe in the future if the band does decide to go on, they may do that for a song or two, but I don't think they would be able to get through an entire show. For 17 years these guys have played together and you're right Kilmer. Even a song like Breaking the Habit or another emotionally charged song... Imagine Brad looking up out of reflex for certain parts to be met with an empty space. That would destroy them every night. Chester had so much energy on stage, I can't imagine it any other way.

Edited by Justin