Is it over with Linkin Park?

It's too early to make predictions, of course, but I would expect something more like Joy Division becoming New Order after singer Ian Curtis passed. Becoming a separate entity to honor the fact that his absence meanthe the original band couldn't call itself that.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is such a hard question... But I'll support whatever the bands decides to do, ultimately, they'll have to pursue whatever is best for them in the long run. However, aside for tribute shows, seems that playing alongside his recording would really be a emotionally exhausting experience.

However, as Chester proved with is run with STP, a band can move on and do well. I don't think he would have wanted to let his music gone from stages because it would be associated with a tragic memory. Ultimately, it will depend on what feels the band regarding this complicated issue.

I just hope they can take their time to overcome this tragedy...

No, they won't replace him. Just listen to Primo. "Just carry on and miss me when I'm gone, don't let anyone take my place."

The 5 of them are too good at creating music to quit. Linkin Park (the name) is a brand. Known all over the world. They can easily continue on as 5 and honor Chester in whatever they do. Mike can take over on vocals and has proven that he can handle it no problem whatsoever. We don't need Mike singing OSC/BTH on tour but there are indeed songs he can do like Iridescent, Castle of Glass Experience, maybe stripped down LOATR, etc. It can be done for sure. They need to keep going, the world is devastated and needs the band.

Some options include the new album having some Chester on it as they have hours of material with him in the vault, which I am not opposed to whatsoever. Full songs even from OML sessions exist, and I'm sure lots of stuff they can write around. But if they don't want to get into that, just start fresh. They can easily concoct an album with Mike + the other 4. They don't have to tour if they don't want to, like The Beatles.

We will see. But I don't see them stopping Linkin Park for this.

It's too early to make predictions, of course, but I would expect something more like Joy Division becoming New Order after singer Ian Curtis passed. Becoming a separate entity to honor the fact that his absence meanthe the original band couldn't call itself that.

I kinda agree with this. they can start fresh. as a new band. LP still exists for fans but this new band, gonna do music that something different. Mike's on the vocal and rap. Anything as long as they're making music for fans. New Order proves that even changing name, they still success.

What I would also love to see:

Make music as 5 but use a wide variety of guest vocalists in addition to Mike. Kinda like Gorillaz have Damon Albarn but they also invite a lot of guest musicians for vocal performances. This way you somehow don't try to replace Chester with one voice but instead you try to fill it with as much talent as possible.

No, they won't replace him. Just listen to Primo. "Just carry on and miss me when I'm gone, don't let anyone take my place."

The 5 of them are too good at creating music to quit. Linkin Park (the name) is a brand. Known all over the world. They can easily continue on as 5 and honor Chester in whatever they do. Mike can take over on vocals and has proven that he can handle it no problem whatsoever. We don't need Mike singing OSC/BTH on tour but there are indeed songs he can do like Iridescent, Castle of Glass Experience, maybe stripped down LOATR, etc. It can be done for sure. They need to keep going, the world is devastated and needs the band.

Some options include the new album having some Chester on it as they have hours of material with him in the vault, which I am not opposed to whatsoever. Full songs even from OML sessions exist, and I'm sure lots of stuff they can write around. But if they don't want to get into that, just start fresh. They can easily concoct an album with Mike + the other 4. They don't have to tour if they don't want to, like The Beatles.

We will see. But I don't see them stopping Linkin Park for this.

I agree with all of this, especially the part about stopping touring. Even before this happened they were already slowing way down in terms of touring because they already didn't like being away from their families and didn't want to tour as extensively as they used to. Edited by Justin

I could see them continuing as a 5 piece. If the band were to write an album after a hiatus first, upon touring they'd have new material to play and as already pointed out by Hahninator, there's plenty of songs Mike could take lead with - LOATR, Iridescent, SOTD, maybe Final Masquerade. I realise I'm stating ballads but that's likely where Mike's range sits.

The sets wouldn't need to be so long either - play shorter shows in smaller venues. I saw Evanescence in June, in London - they played 18/19 songs, and that didn't feel overly short for arguably such a big band.

Whatever they choose to do, the fan base will rally behind them, just look at the outpouring of support after Chester's passing.

I think that fans will be happy to see them, no matter how many and what songs they play. I would not care what songs they play. I would be happy to see them play and perform again.

It would be a whole different scenerio if Chester is with them and then they play just 16 songs or so. Now that they sadly lost him they must realize that they have to be happy that they even perform.

I hope they continue !

If the band discontinue using the Linkin Park name, do you think they'll use the Name Xero?

I rather think that the other 4 guys will come over to FM, if they don't feel that they can continue under LP without Chester. With FM, Mike was always the 'lead' vocalist and it is possible that they think that this is the easier way.

On the other hand you have 'Linkim Park', the name itself is legendary and do they really wanna set Linkin Park aside. They probably have a bigger support in terms of the amount of fans knowing Linkin Park better than Fort Minor

I rather think that the other 4 guys will come over to FM, if they don't feel that they can continue under LP without Chester. With FM, Mike was always the 'lead' vocalist and it is possible that they think that this is the easier way.

On the other hand you have 'Linkim Park', the name itself is legendary and do they really wanna set Linkin Park aside. They probably have a bigger support in terms of the amount of fans knowing Linkin Park better than Fort Minor

Not too difficult to say LP is now FM and put website redirects and social media plugs in the old LP accounts. That way the guys don't feel obligated to play old material that only Chester could pull off.

If the band discontinue using the Linkin Park name, do you think they'll use the Name Xero?

I would guess not since the name Xero sounds extremely 90's. My guess if they discontinue Linkin Park would be to rebrand as the new Fort Minor or another name altogether. Honestly though I think they'll just remain as Linkin Park and maybe add a new lead vocalist.

I would guess not since the name Xero sounds extremely 90's. My guess if they discontinue Linkin Park would be to rebrand as the new Fort Minor or another name altogether. Honestly though I think they'll just remain as Linkin Park and maybe add a new lead vocalist.

A few days ago I was extremely against even entertaining the idea of a new band member at this stage in LP's career... but now I can see how that could be made to work. Not a replacement, never a replacement. No one can ever simply "replace" Chester. There could be someone to carry on the mantle though. Someone who brings their own style and uniqueness to the table. Similarly, a few days ago I was convinced that the LP name would be retired... now? I don't think that will happen.

I'm just a fan, and my opinions and views are changing as the shock of what happened wears off. I see why LP themselves are taking time before announcing any kind of solid decisions about their future. They need to take time to grieve, process, and then wait until they're in a proper head space to think about this stuff.

We'll see, though. It's been pointed out multiple times that Mike is more than capable of being a lead vocalist on his own, and that may be the route they choose to take.

I might get some flack for this, but it's my personal opinion and how I feel, but I would lose some respect for Mike and the rest of the guys if they were to hire a new co-lead singer and continue to use the name Linkin Park. You can not call it that if Chester, who was the face, heart and soul of the band is gone. I find it a little disrespectful when Chester is arguably the main reason for the band's success. Sure, Mike is the genius behind the band, but Chester is what made them a global phenomenon by connecting with millions through his powerful voice. Ideally, I would like to see the five guys make one more album using the name and dedicate it to Chester as a tribute. They could even possibly work around the countless hours of footage they probably have of Chester in the studio and build a few songs around that. Afterwards, they should either change the name or the rest of the guys follow Mike in Fort Minor. It's all up to them of course, but that's just my feelings on this. I wanted to vent.

Edited by crazygolfer

1. If they're using XERO, it's not a bad idea.

2. I think the idea of someone carrying the mantle is great. There's tons of powerful vocalist and i'm sure one of them can nail LP songs.

3. We're starting to become STP fans back in the days where Chester replace Scott and their fans rage and against it, while LP fans are happy with it and totally support it.

4. Let's FORT MINOR, stays as FORT MINOR. I don't want the bandmates merge into that.

5. As I said earlier, they can change their band name into something else and let LINKIN PARK remains as legend. LPU can continue, i dont think it's a problem for them to release it.

6. MOST IMPORTANT, they must keep continue making music cuz that's what Chester will ask them if he's still around. Music connecting all of us. Without their music, I dont think i'm gonna be here now typing this.

PS: Just my 2 cents. thanks.

Edited by Stranger

One Possible Theory is they could come out and announce a Tribute World Tour For Chester where they perform for one last time around the world and get or not get Guest Singers to help perform with them, I recon that would be a nice idea

I think that it depends on who they would consider. For example, if they take someone like Aaron from Of M&M then it is a good fit, at least for me. He can do both singing and screaming and we already saw what he can do on the last ballad medley.

But it's up to then band what they do, but I really hope that they continue making and playing music.

I think if the band wants a new vocalist, its fine. It worked out for ACDC, it can work out for them. At the end of the day, its their decision. Personally, I would prefer that they do what Queen is doing, with Queen + Adam Lambert. Let the new singer sing, and add Chester as backing vocals.

I think that fans will be happy to see them, no matter how many and what songs they play. I would not care what songs they play. I would be happy to see them play and perform again.

Right. A life without LP can not be imagined.

Edited by darkviruz

Right. A life without LP can not be imagined.

And they are lucky enough to have such a talented second singer/rapper with Mike. Of course, a lot of songs are written for Chester but other bands could not even think about doing and performing more music, cause they don't have another singer.