'Good Goodbye' Out Now!

RogueSoul

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the song overall is okay. I really don't like the instrumentalisation of the song. I can't hear any guitars or a bass in it, also no physical drums...

So, basically, to make a song fkin better is to make sure that people listen/hear the sounds of guitars, bass, drum in that song?

@GraDoN What you said is also subjective. You say the band isn't talented, as if that's just an unspoken fact that is indisputably true. There are literally millions of people who would disagree with that statement, though. I am one of them. I feel LP as a collective, are a talented band. Do they have misfires? Yes. Any band that switches up their style as many times as they have are bound to have a couple of misses, but as a whole I think they are an innovative band that's very open to change, and almost always pulls it off.

True, it might be subjective. I do disagree that LP innovated though, they took something that existed (Korn was already well known) and made it radio friendly enough to sell it to the masses, something that wasn't really achieved to the level that LP did. Their later works are far from innovative.

I mean i really enjoy old LP and many of their later songs, but personally I don't see any big innovations nor bursts of talent.

It sounds like a Fort Minor song. If you had Kenna doing Chester's part, it'd be a solid FM track with features lol. Decent song.

EDIT: was never a big Pusha T fan but I really like both his LP songs now, it works. Stormzy's verse is also really good in my opinion... I can get behind this kinda song, but... Heavy is just tooooooo basic. At least this song has some variation and wasn't written by Justin Bieber's ghostwriters.

Edited by hellomoto170

I don't think OML is the only problem . At first , LP was innovative until ATS . Then, we just had generic songs over 6/8 years .

Collabs might say it all : they're done creating . They do not have ideas anymore.

Generic songs? Folky vibes and experimentation in a lot of Living Things songs, The Hunting Party had heavy songs with solos, which was something we've never seen before from them, and also that album has a lot more experimentation than people give them credit, they ventured into punk rock in War, prog in Mark the Graves, A Line in the Sand was a huge epic thing... I don't see these generic songs, save for a few you could point out for their structure or lyrics, but not the majority of them.

The organization and flow of THP was weak. UIG had no business being on that album, IMO. You don't know what you've got, oh you don't know what you've got, oh you don't know what you've got, oh you don't know what you've got, oh you don't know what you've got, oh you don't know what you've got, oh you don't know what you've got, oh you don't know what you've got, oh you don't know what you've got, oh you don't know what you've got, until it's gone. What a horrendous track. Toss it to Transformers, another movie, or leave it in the vault. Putting that on a rock album is laughable.

The Summoning and War in the middle made no sense to me. Drawbar is a waste. But yeah, besides that, there were 7 quality rock songs and one softer song Final Masquerade. I enjoy the 7 rock songs on it, sure, but they needed 12.

I totally agree on the standard generic stuff, absoloutley kills me they still make that sort of music after ats.

Since it's getting a music video, maybe it's a single but not worldwide? I can see it being something like a single in Europe.

Listening to the song more and looking at the lyrics, I think Pusha T is the weakest part of the song. Mike's verse may not be his standard flow but he still delivers some biting lines, and Stormzy's lines are pretty boisterous ("Let me say goodbye to my demons / Let me say goodbye to my past life / Let me say goodbye to the darkness / Tell 'em that I'd rather be here in the starlight"). Pusha, though. "A period is after every sentence / Did my time with my cellmate" the fuck is this? Feels like something he tried to do on the spot.

What if they are unconventional and doing things in a different order this time?

For example, they filmed a live video for Invisible. We haven't even heard that song yet. Maybe that's for use if it becomes a single at a later time. Maybe the same is true for Good Goodbye, the real music video is for down the road if it becomes a single at a later time (or they have it planned to be a single sometime, just not right now). That might be the only time they could get Stormzy to the U.S., for example.

Since it's getting a music video, maybe it's a single but not worldwide? I can see it being something like a single in Europe.

Listening to the song more and looking at the lyrics, I think Pusha T is the weakest part of the song. Mike's verse may not be his standard flow but he still delivers some biting lines, and Stormzy's lines are pretty boisterous ("Let me say goodbye to my demons / Let me say goodbye to my past life / Let me say goodbye to the darkness / Tell 'em that I'd rather be here in the starlight"). Pusha, though. "A period is after every sentence / Did my time with my cellmate" the fuck is this? Feels like something he tried to do on the spot.

I think the period after every sentence could be seen as putting an end to the person's time in the match, it's just like the period, you know nothing will come after that in the same sentence. Still can't figure out the cellmate though. Anyway, I do agree Stormzy's lines sound stronger, and it gets better after you get used to his accent, which I kinda wasn't.

Pusha is comparing the relationship to a jail sentence. He's trapped in there with his "cellmate" (the significant other) until his sentence has ended. The "period after every sentence" bit is saying that, after he's out, there's nothing left for him to do or say. He's not looking back.

I fucking love this song, probably my favourite out of the 3, Mike's flow, while it may be a bit different than what he does, sounded great for this song. Mike doesn't have to have the same flow every song, I liked the switch up.

Couple other things:
1) There are live drums in the song, you can hear them in the chorus.

2) There is live guitar in this song, and it sounds really nice. It fits it well, I really see what Brad was saying in that interview

3) Those things are not perquisites to make the song good, I never got into LP for the the guitar or drums or whatever, it was how they're mixed, and this song does that well.

Edited by TheInterframe

Different isn't always good.

i put on the road to revolution dvd for my girlfriend last night, and she said holy fuck this is mad. I said yep, but its a shame because its no longer like this. the point being, it was such a refreshing look back in time… she was keen just from that to go see them live if they come back to Aus this year. Even the 2010 Madrid show, ATS had that LP quality.

in all honesty, everyone blows up cos they say 'they can't make the same shit like HT and meteora over and over' … but id kill for some more of that stuff to be honest, it'd be better than this pop stuff. I love every LP album there is, each of them differently, but i think this direction is abit too .. easy for them.

its not bad, but its not good. The best way to describe it is, its not as great as they can be.

and its a shame after waiting three years for new material to find out its music that basically fits right into the crowd - opinion or not, its a statement that rings true regardless of how much of a fan you are.

LP were made on how much they stood out (HT/MTM/ATS) - but now, they kind of just slide right into everything else thats out there. if i was at the gym and a pop playlist started, i wouldn't be able to differ between good goodbye or drake or any other of the thousand pop songs out there.

don't get me wrong, its not bad music to listen to on occasion, but its not really anything with any kind of meaning, and it sure as hell doesn't have the top notch linkin park quality - and thats where a lot of people are kind of disappointed i think.

Different isn't always good.

i put on the road to revolution dvd for my girlfriend last night, and she said holy fuck this is mad. I said yep, but its a shame because its no longer like this. the point being, it was such a refreshing look back in time… she was keen just from that to go see them live if they come back to Aus this year. Even the 2010 Madrid show, ATS had that LP quality.

in all honesty, everyone blows up cos they say 'they can't make the same shit like HT and meteora over and over' … but id kill for some more of that stuff to be honest, it'd be better than this pop stuff. I love every LP album there is, each of them differently, but i think this direction is abit too .. easy for them.

its not bad, but its not good. The best way to describe it is, its not as great as they can be.

and its a shame after waiting three years for new material to find out its music that basically fits right into the crowd - opinion or not, its a statement that rings true regardless of how much of a fan you are.

LP were made on how much they stood out (HT/MTM/ATS) - but now, they kind of just slide right into everything else thats out there. if i was at the gym and a pop playlist started, i wouldn't be able to differ between good goodbye or drake or any other of the thousand pop songs out there.

don't get me wrong, its not bad music to listen to on occasion, but its not really anything with any kind of meaning, and it sure as hell doesn't have the top notch linkin park quality - and thats where a lot of people are kind of disappointed i think.

They'll be going in a new direction next album. Most people who are asking where that Meteora sound is, I'm SURE don't know that. They seem to feel like this is the first time they've ever switched gears. If you don't like this album, that's fine, just wait it out. They won't stay this way if history has taught us anything. As a matter of fact, RogueSoul literally predicted this direction 3 years ago. This wasn't just out of nowhere.

Also, their live shows will still be great. They'll still be playing all of those older songs, and these new ones will be played by the full band. It will have a different vibe live, I'm pretty sure.